• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2011 |OT| Team Bonding, St. Kilda Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we all knew Sydney would get through that group - but not necessarily as one of the best-performing losers of the first round.

Amazing.

santouras

Ricky Nixon.... come on man. Even if that chick was hot to trot, surely you knew it was going to result in this hellstorm

border

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Americans, they show games on ESPN2 brahs.
People keep saying this, but the sport isn't even mentioned on their website, I can't find it on any of their television schedules.

ESPN360.com doesn't list it.

Even that P2P streaming site of highly questionable legality doesn't have a category for AFL or any game listings :lol

If there's anyone in the states broadcasting this stuff, I don't think they are doing it right now as the season starts.

Dead Man

border said:
People keep saying this, but the sport isn't even mentioned on their website, I can't find it on any of their television schedules.

Even that P2P streaming site of highly questionable legality doesn't have a category for AFL or any game listings :lol

If there's anyone in the states broadcasting this stuff, I don't think they are doing it right now as the season starts.
http://www.myp2pforum.eu/threads/13256-Australian-Rules-Football-(AFL) Always has had games for me when I was overseas.

legend166

I went to the game last night.

We basically didn't give a damn during that Gold Coast game. Were completely flat. Gold Coast looked good though.

Jebus

legend166 said:
I went to the game last night.

We basically didn't give a damn during that Gold Coast game. Were completely flat. Gold Coast looked good though.

I read that David Swallow had a very promising debut, any impressions from yourself?

Majak Daw will be pulling on the North Melbourne jumper for the first time today. It will be very interesting to see how he performs, especially as he's only played about 70 games of football in his life.

fisheyes

border said:

Its worth noting that this is just preseason at the moment, the proper season doesn't begin until March 24, so assuming they won't show the preseason league, and depending on how far in advance the guides go, that might explain why it can't be found on them.

Grug

Present and accounted for.

Cheers for starting the thread.

I thought about it at work last week but just havent got round to it. Very happy to see someone else take the reins.

Fev who? :/

Ydahs

Geelong v Saints should be good this Saturday, especially if our coach keeps his word and brings back most of the big names.

Can't wait!

Ydahs

This thread needs more activity. Tonight's game was way above preseason standards. Heck, so was last night's game too. The two games coming up should be really good too.

Hoping for the Saints to win. I want a Collingwood v. St. Kilda rematch :mad:

Also, I launched the player stat profiles on my website for those who're following it. Favourite feature = Stat Tally. Why? Because of graphs like this:

409.png

For all players, all stats, all years :D

Ydahs

_Alkaline_ said:
Still need 8 more people for GAF's dream team.
Hmm. I guess I should repost it in the AusGAF thread. Don't want it to end up being filled up with random entries...

Ydahs

Saints looked pretty good tonight, ey? Though Geelong didn't really have a full strength side in.

Roo kicking four straight was nice to see. Kind of stupid we have Essendon again next week...

fisheyes

Regardless of if half their team was missing or not, the Cats looked pretty awful. Not to say the Saints didn't look good, because they certainly did, but the Cats really looked bad.

Dead Man

I can never get interested in the NAB, and the changes this year are not helping. Looking forward to the regular season.

Ydahs

Dead Man said:
I can never get interested in the NAB, and the changes this year are not helping. Looking forward to the regular season.
While last night's match did feel like a NAB Cup match due to Geelong's rookie side, the first two of this round were really good contests. I reckon tonight's clash between GCS and WCE will be something to watch, since it's the first full game Gold Coast will play.

Shame Ablett's not playing...

Ydahs

Animation isn't the greatest, but the actual players look recognizable which is good. Varcoe even had his shoulder strapped which is a nice touch. Kinda disappointed no gameplay was shown :/

Looks low budget, but looks like the effort is there. Might buy if it doesn't have broken game play and plays decently online.

Ydahs

Good game tonight. Awful last night :(

Next week should be a match to watch between the Dons and the Pies. Don't know who I want to see lose more.

zenbot

OMG how did I not see that this thread had been created. Footy! Woooo!

The past freakin' six months, I tell you what. Bring on the season!

jambo

Totally didn't realise the Grand Final was tonight, for some reason I thought it'd be a Saturday.

Can't wait for the season proper to begin!

Ydahs

Went and watched Carlton and Geelong. Biggest choke I've seen in a a while. Carlton up by close to 30 at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter, but Geelong kicking 6 or 7 late goals in 15 minutes won them the game. Carlton in the last kicked 6, maybe 7, behinds themselves.

As a neutral, it was a pretty decent game, with the two stand outs being Jeff Garlett and Chris Yarran. Decent crowd too.

Wow, this thread died in the ass. Let's make sure we keep it alive during the season proper.

Which, funnily enough, starts in only 6 days!

That means that if you haven't joined the AusGAF Dreamteam yet, you need to make sure you get onto it within the next week. Remember that you don't even have to choose your team until right before the first siren, so if you're short on time, just join up for now and finish your team later on when you have the time. :)

Invite Code: 321888

We need just 6 more GAFers!

fisheyes

I think its just been a boring couple of weeks of AFL, not just because there are no games this week but because all the 'news' is boring (wow, Ricky Nixon is still a creep, Brendan Fevola is still an idiot, what else is new?). I'm sure the thread will rocket back up come Thursday.

Also, are we gonna do a GAF tipping comp this year too? I think we should, but I don't know where the best places to run it are.

Ydahs

fisheyes said:
Also, are we gonna do a GAF tipping comp this year too? I think we should, but I don't know where the best places to run it are.
I'm developing a tipping comp for chicko's work place which runs off my server. Maybe I can set an AusGAF group and people can join in?

edit: actually this might not be the best idea since it posts the real name of the participants (is designed for work places after all). Maybe we can start a group over at the AFL website?

fisheyes

In a blatant attempt at creating some sort of discussion.... my end of season predictions

Premiers: Collingwood
Shock horror, I’m predicting the team that have one two premierships in the last 7 or so games to get another... but they’re a quality team, and I just can’t see anyone beating them.

Runners Up: St Kilda
Always the bridesmaid. After all these years of coming so close, they can either be determined to push that one step further or fall under the pressure of making that push... I think its going to be the latter, unfortunately for them.

Brownlow Medallist: Brendon Goddard
....by which I of course mean Chris Judd, regardless of how he plays.

Ladder
1. Collingwood (can’t see them getting dethroned)
2. Western Bulldogs (They’re always so close to the top, I think they’ll be determined to go a little further this year – and yet they still won’t make the GF)
3. St Kilda (always gonna be up there)
4. Fremantle (god, who knows with this team, they’re just as likely to end up 4th bottom as they are 4th – but I think they looked the goods last year, they’ve got a few good rookies, and Barlow should be back soonish)
5. Adelaide (are a lot better than last year would suggest)
6. Geelong (I think this is the beginning and the end of their era...)
7. Melbourne (...and the beginning of their’s)
8. Sydney (played alright last year, will continue to do so with Longmire at the helm... I miss Kirky)
9. Carlton (never achieve anything with all the really good rookies they have acquired over the years... and this year will be no different)
10. Hawthorn (2008 is dead and buried, they’re not coming back)
11. Port (sad face, but our young kids are just too raw at the moment)
12. Kangaroos (will continue to kill giants every so often, but won’t be a force at all)
13. Essendon (NAB Cup an insignificant blip on the 2011 radar for Hirdy)
14. Richmond (Jack Riewoldt is a gun, the rest of the team is not)
15. Gold Coast (Gary Ablett does not make a successful team)
16. West Coast (eh. Still rebuilding. Got nothing good)
17. Brisbane (Losing Fev will cause their slide to continue, Vossy is in trouble)

legend166

Ok, here are my predictions:

It's really hard to pick this at this stage, so I'll go with the favourites. I don't think they'll be as good last year, but it's yet to be seen if other teams can catch up.

Runners Up:

Brownlow Medallist: Adam Goodes

Picking one of my own here. Goodes has been in better preseason form than I've ever seen. Usually he's a slow starter and romps home to pick up a lot of votes. If he starts off this year as well as I think, he'll win it.

Ladder

I'll try and be a bit out there, because simply choosing Collingwood, Geelong, St Kilda and the Bulldogs as the top 4 is boring :p

1. Collingwood - See above.

2. Fremantle - Probably a bit out there. I think they'll improve a lot. This is mainly dependent on Sandilands staying fit. Having a true home ground always helps, and I think they'll travel well this year. I think it will be a pretty even year, so 16 wins might get you second.

3. St Kilda - I think they'll have a good year, but won't be as dominant as the last two years.

4. Sydney - I'm biased, and I think we'll improve this year. We managed to finish 5th last year despite a horrid run of form in the middle of the season (Melbourne beat us by 79 points). More consistency and I can see us winning 15 games. We've got a relatively easy draw, too.

5. Geelong - I think they'll fall a bit this year, and probably be out of the top 8 by 2012.

6. Western Bulldogs - I think they'll fall and start the rebuild next year.

7. Hawthorn - Good team, and Franklin and Hodge will win them games. But I think the rest of the team is overrated. Guys like Sewell and Lewis aren't as good as people think.

8. Port Adelaide - My smokey for the top 8. Mainly because they remind me of the Swans of 2003. Sacked a long term coach, brought in a decorated former player as coach (we bought in Roos) who did well in the short period he had in the previous year. Widely tipped to finish in the bottom 4, only to end up in the finals. In 2003 we ended up top 4, but I don't think Port will do that well. I think they've got a good team though.

9. Carlton - Will just miss out on the top 8 and Ratten will get the sack. Malthouse to coach them in 2012, which will be the biggest story of the season.

10. Adelaide - Will be similar to last year.

11. Melbourne - On the rise, but not there yet.

12. Kangaroos - See Melbourne.

13. Brisbane - Won't do as bad as everyone says, but can't see them getting out of this area for awhile. They'll get enough wins at the Gabba to keep them out of the bottom 4.

14. Richmond - slight improvement from last year. I just don't think they've got enough talent.

15. Gold Coast - Will win a few, but a largely crappy season.

16. Essendon - I think they'll suck and I will enjoy it immensely. Hopefully Hird and Thompson have a brawl in the coaches box in the middle of a thumping.

17. West Coast - Their demise after all the talks of a dynasty in 2006 made me very happy. Especially since everyone was saying that it would be the Swans that would slide. They should have got rid of Worsfold and started afresh.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah, I just can't see Carlton breaking into the top 8 this season. I'd love it if they managed to get into the finals but it's probably best to remain negative at this stage.

Can't wait for the damn season to start though.

legend166

Seriously, it starting on Thursday night makes me very, very happy. My night will be spent flicking between the game and the World Cup.

Shame it has to be Carlton vs Richmond though. Damn Richmond better put up fight for once (against Carlton. Yes I know they beat us last year).

legend166

zenbot said:
And Tom Rockliff makes Lions vice captain after only 20 senior games! That's gotta be some kind of record.

Wow.

On another note, I highly recommend everyone watches On the Couch if they have Foxtel. Paul Roos absolutely craps over every other media commentator.

legend166 said:
On another note, I highly recommend everyone watches On the Couch if they have Foxtel. Paul Roos absolutely craps over every other media commentator.

Gun. Is thre anything he can't do?

My ladder:

1. Collingwood - Too much talent and too much hunger for more. Scary.
2. Western Bulldogs - Have the talent to go far. Time to deliver.
3. St. Kilda - Haven't lost anyone. Too many stars to fall, but lack depth.
4. Carlton - Someone needs to step up. My guess is the Blues. Have fixed some holes but their good players need to become great.
5. Geelong - Transition to Scott will hurt initially, but will finish strong. Not out of it.
6. Hawthorn - Lots of stars, but like the Saints lack depth. Too much class not to make finals, but not a premiership contender yet.
7. Sydney - Solid, even list and have a few players who can take the next step. Underrated.
8. Adelaide - Also underrated. Extremely talented forward line, but lack midfield depth.
9. North Melbourne - Have the talent to make finals, but will be hurt by injuries and underdone players.
10. Melbourne - Not there just yet, but getting closer and closer. Their last year of not playing finals.
11. Fremantle - Injuries will hurt big time, think Adelaide last year. Should bounce back in 2012.
12. Essendon - Expect a good middle part of the season before the kids tire out. Have talent but not enough of it yet.
13. Port Adelaide - Who knows what to expect? Could make finals, could finish bottom four.
14. Richmond - Good midfield but ordinary everywhere else. Need a couple more years.
15. West Coast - Lack any real depth or class. Rebuilding. Home ground advantage will win them games.
16. Brisbane Lions - Have more stars than WC but are a shambles on and off the field.
17. Gold Coast - Should surprise in a few and lose the unlosable in others. So much talent but kids need experience before they can really perform.

Ydahs

God dammit, forgot On The Couch was on today. I'll IQ it and watch it tomorrow.

I just wonder how long St. Kilda can hang in there. I'd to think one more year, but I've been doing so for the last four. Think we can still hang there with the best, but not for much longer.

With that said...

Premiers: St. Kilda
Runners Up: Collingwood

Surprise: Carlton will surprise people this year. I'd say they are a chance for a top four finish, at most top six.

Ladder
1. Collingwood
2. St Kilda
3. Fremantle
4. Geelong
5. Carlton
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Hawthorn
8. Sydney
9. Adelaide
10. North Melbourne
11. Melbourne
12. Essendon
13. Richmond
14. Port Adelaide
15. West Coast
16. Brisbane
17. Gold Coast

tbh, not much thought was put into it, but I reckon anyone from Melbourne upwards can slip into the top eight. Think it will be really even in the mid this year.

Brownlow: Goddard, Dane Swan for a dual win

Jebus

If only AFL Live had come out by now we'd at least have a game to talk about. Here's a link to some footage though for those who haven't seen it. It's actually looking quite good in comparison to the previous games. Much more FIFA/PES inspired. It's had an overwhelmingly positive response so far too.

Here's my Ladder for the year:

Runners Up: Hawthorn

It pains me to say it as I'm not a fan of Hawthorn at all but I think they've had terrible luck in the past couple of years with injury. If they can keep their players on the park they'll go far, but if not I don't think they have the depth to cope.

My 2011 Ladder preditions (Top 9):
1. Collingwood - Too hard to back against them
2. Hawthorn - Already mentioned above
3. St Kilda - Great side but not enough heart to take it all the way
4. Bulldogs - Good midfield and even though they rely too much on the thug, they'll still be in the top 4.
5. Geelong - I'm tipping them to slide, maybe even further but the new coach may bring some excitement for them this year.
6. Fremantle - Building a really strong team at Freo, wouldn't be surprised to see them 6th or higher.
7. North Melb - Bias here but I'm tipping us to move into the 8 this year. Petrie being back will help our forward line immensely; Wells being totally free of OP for once; and Andrew Swallow is hitting his prime. Grima has stepped up as a genuine KPP down back as well. 9th last year to 7th seems doable.
8. Carlton - Not as much depth as they'd like but they had good younger players that will be expected to step up now.

9. Melbourne - Slight improvement on last year. They're young recruits will have improved and they should be more consistent this year.

Smokey:
West Coast - They have some good players that have now been at the club a few years and will be expected to take the next step. I don't think they'll break the top 10 but they'll surprise a few this year imo.

legend166

No Sydney in the top 8?

What is this heresy?

That's the first time I've seen the AFL Live footage. Is it just me or does everyone move way too fast?

To be honest I'd kill for PES Wii style controls in an Aussie Rules game. Anyone who's played PES Wii will know what I'm talking about. It would be perfect.

zenbot

Jonathan Brown said:
The boys have got a running bet going - I always said I'll get to 35, but Vossy and Timmy Notting and Leppa said they'll walk nude to the Gold Coast if I make 35. Considering Vossy's my coach, he might sack me if I look like I'm going to make the 35, save him a walk to the Goldy.
Browny, you are great.

I am looking forward to the year, despite the fairly gloomy forecasting by every single person on the planet. We have, at the very least, a number of players that are tremendously exciting to watch: Browny, Black, Rich, Drummond (sadface), Banfield, Rocky, etc. We have in Leuey one of the best rucks in the competition. We have players threatening to break out (Polks, Redden, Hanley), and a bunch of youngsters who are vying for a place in the side and whose development will be great to watch (Bewick, Lester, Beams). And that's without mentioning Polec, who didn't look out of place in our NAB cup games but physically still looks like a schoolboy.

Mitch Clark is the wild card this season for me. He has it in him to be a gun. He was unlucky not to get an AA nod in 2009, had a pretty awful 2010, and looks like he will be given every chance to prove himself as a forward this year. Fingers crossed he can make a go of it.

Jebus

legend166 said:
No Sydney in the top 8?

What is this heresy?

That's the first time I've seen the AFL Live footage. Is it just me or does everyone move way too fast?

To be honest I'd kill for PES Wii style controls in an Aussie Rules game. Anyone who's played PES Wii will know what I'm talking about. It would be perfect.

Yeah it was a hard decision not to include Sydney. Admittedly I don't know enough about your younger squad, but Paul Roos was such a great coach so I think it's up in the air at the moment if Longmire can get the same out of the older playing group.

I think that part of the reason it looks fast is because it is much more fluid than the older games. I know they've gone for a more 'fun' experience rather than exact simulation though. By all reports BigAnt have really focused on gameplay and the bigfooty posters are loving the playtests.

fisheyes

legend166 said:

Never played PES, so I have no idea how it works, but if it happens to involve using a Wiimote / Nunchuk set up, where you move your player with the control stick and use the Wiimote pointer to aim where the ball should go, then god yes. And if thats not how PES works then, whatever, do it like that anyway, that would be the perfect set up.

Grug

zenbot said:
And Tom Rockliff makes Lions vice captain after only 20 senior games! That's gotta be some kind of record.

Didn't Bryce Gibbs get into the Carlton leadership group in his first year?

Regardless... Rockliff > Gibbs. :D

legend166

fisheyes said:
Never played PES, so I have no idea how it works, but if it happens to involve using a Wiimote / Nunchuk set up, where you move your player with the control stick and use the Wiimote pointer to aim where the ball should go, then god yes. And if thats not how PES works then, whatever, do it like that anyway, that would be the perfect set up.

Yep, that's how PES Wii works. You use the pointer to control passing, as well as players off the ball. So you can set up dummy runs and pass off to other players. It works great for soccer, but it would be absolutely perfect for Aussie Rules. You could control your character with the analogue stick and make other guys lead with the pointer. Set up dummy leads, kick the ball to space, etc.

I should stop talking about this because I'm just building my hopes up and the game will be nothing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom