• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2012 |OT| Kevin Sheedy 2.0 [RIP John McCarthy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

maladroid

We'll see how they go in the last quarter. :p

And haha, that's such an overused term. Whenever somebody says that about a team, they go off and lose in their next match.

maladroid

only about 100 off so far :p
Haha, it was just wishful thinking. Seems a bit easier to catch up to Geelong given their draw and current position on the ladder. I hope the Swans can pull up, but they don't have time on their side like they did against the Dons.

maladroid

Woop woop. They look so convincing for a half and then.. yeah. Richmond for the flag. Oh yeah!

You reckon the Eagles will win tomorrow?

midonnay

Not overly confident.... we have been abit of a flat track bully this year and I can't remember the last time we beat the pies at the MCG but the injury to Pendlebury at least brings their midfield within our grasp . We're shit in the wet...so hopefully it doesn't rain.

The last time we met here, we were basically destroyed by Harry O'brien and Heath Shaw from the half back not to mention Luke Shuey being smacked around like a ragdoll. We lack speed so Shuey and Naitanui breaking free from the imminent crush of hard bodies may be the deciding factor in the end.

maladroid

Not overly confident.... we have been abit of a flat track bully this year and I can't remember the last time we beat the pies at the MCG but the injury to Pendlebury at least brings their midfield within our grasp . We're shit in the wet...so hopefully it doesn't rain.

The last time we met here, we were basically destroyed by Harry O'brien and Heath Shaw from the half back not to mention Luke Shuey being smacked around like a ragdoll. We lack speed so Shuey and Naitanui breaking free from the imminent crush of hard bodies may be the deciding factor in the end.
We'll see how it goes. Essendon beat West Coast at home by like 12 goals, and Collingwood beat Essendon, so football logic says that Collingwood should beat West Coast by eleventy points. Should be an interesting match.

edit:

I think I would've been happier with the thumping. >.>
Yeah, me too. :(

maladroid

Good win by the Lions. Can't believe Brown didn't get one in such a convincing win.

Can't believe I'll be going for the Pies today. Can't believe they're not televising this match, either.

edit:

I'm so glad the umps didn't give Shuey that free. Pies fans would have been quite bitter if this was played at PS.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
1/6 tips from the weekend, stupid close matches and upsets =\

I thought this week was pretty straight forward, the biggest surprises were the North and Brisbane wins but I could see North winning on their day.
Which one did you get?

jambo

I thought this week was pretty straight forward, the biggest surprises were the North and Brisbane wins but I could see North winning on their day.
Which one did you get?

Essendon.

I hardly tip Freo any more :lol

With the others, I was pretty close to getting 2 more, although having watched part of the Eagles vs. Magpies match, it was pretty obvious that the Pies were in control of most of the play.

All in all, I'm just glad Port didn't lose.

maladroid

Lol, jambo, Melbourne were about 1.25 to GWS' 2.60-odd. Given their performance against the Tiges, I thought it'd be closer. Given their first quarter, too. That injury isn't going to do Melbourne any good. Mitch was on fire when he was out there.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Wth Adelaide? 8.3 Richmond to 3.0 Adelaide at quarter time.

Update: Glad they got the win in the end, was starting to wonder whether they were on a downward, Adelaide, after last week and the start of this game.

maladroid

They weren't convincing for 6 quarters starting with the last against the Saints. Relieved they got through in the end. Massive disappointment for Richmond. Them and the Kangas still have the easiest rest of the season (for that part of the ladder).

I've never really thought about it, but there's 7 umps on the field. You didn't think it would be possible for bias to shine through in a committee like that, but they looked like they all had a bet that the Hawks wouldn't get up by more than 10 goals. Good signs despite losses against the Cats and Eagles, but we really could have been smashed by 15+ goals. Not looking forward to next week.

Unfortunately the Crows might just be pretending this year.

In other news, the Pies increase their streak to 10 wins. Tough month coming up for them though. (bar the Giants)

maladroid

Unfortunately the Crows might just be pretending this year.

In other news, the Pies increase their streak to 10 wins. Tough month coming up for them though. (bar the Giants and Blues)
Fixed. Laidler out for the season. Henderson out for three weeks. Jamison out most likely. We'll have to rely even more on our reserves who are dead last in the VFL. Waite under an injury cloud, and Murphy out for at least a further three weeks.. add in the fact that we beat them by 10 goals earlier in the season (when they were the ones with the injury problems), and I reckon they'll be out for blood.

Nine weeks is a long time in football. Maybe the Crows' rough patch is temporary, maybe not. I honestly haven't got a clue with the way this season's been going.

Fixed. Laidler out for the season. Henderson out for three weeks. Jamison out most likely. We'll have to rely even more on our reserves who are dead last in the VFL. Waite under an injury cloud, and Murphy out for at least a further three weeks.. add in the fact that we beat them by 10 goals earlier in the season (when they were the ones with the injury problems), and I reckon they'll be out for blood.

Nine weeks is a long time in football. Maybe the Crows' rough patch is temporary, maybe not. I honestly haven't got a clue with the way this season's been going.

Yeah you're probably right. They have been terrible lately.

maladroid

Yup. 5 and 1 after the first 6 matches, then 6 losses out of the next 7. Can't get any worse than that (well, bar Gold Coast).

Lol Bartel. Umps deserve all the shit that they get. I don't care if they're a dying breed. They've got to be held accountable to some sort of standard.

Ydahs

North impressed last night. We didn't unfortunately.

Also, I along with a whole lot of Saints supporters are losing patience with Goddard. The man's clearly out of touch so what does he do? Gets himself suspended...

jambo

dTNJil.jpg

Friday July 6th
Collingwood vs. Carlton @ The MCG

Saturday July 7th
North Melbourne vs. West Coast Eagles @ Blundstone Arena
Melbourne vs. Richmond @ The MCG
Sydney vs. Brisbane @ The SCG
St Kilda vs. Essendon @ Etihad Stadium
Port Adelaide vs. Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium

Sunday, July 8th
Hawthorn vs. Greater Western Sydney @ The MCG
Gold Coast vs. Geelong @ Metricon Stadium
Fremantle vs. Western Bulldogs @ Patersons Stadium

maladroid

No idea what odds I glanced at then :lol
The fact it wasn't N/A - N/A speaks volumes, I think.

Fucking refs. Get the lead? In the back for a genuine mark attempt and 50m penalty. About to break free? Throwing the ball when he gets a fist on it.

Betts copping it in the face and continuing down the field to an eventual goal. That's how you're meant to do it.

Goal line shepard? Fucking umps.

Can somebody explain to me why nobody pays dropping the ball anymore? We've got no talls up forward. The only thing we've got is forward line pressure, and it means jack shit if they're not gonna pay them for great tackles that result in no legal disposals.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
If Carlton go on with it, which seems likely, I am very surprised by the result. Although Carlton did win earlier this year by 60pts I expected Collingwood to be able to turn that around.
I wonder how this game affects their finals chances.

Update: Good win.

maladroid

We were due. We stuffed up the 4th quarters against Geelong and West Coast and suffered losses within 2 kicks as a result. The Hawks were a step backwards, but we were due.

It's amazing to see what happens when Kreuzer's playing in his right spot, Chris Judd on song. The run from Yarran from the back is amazing. It's taken him a long time for him to get back there since his injury against Essendon in the 4th round. To get that result with Hampson injured 10 minutes into the match (though Brock was a super super sub and had a real impact) and no tall up forward, and Simpson concussed.. it was a really courageous effort from the boys. Sure, we made some really stupid mistakes, but quite a few young ones out there, it's to be expected.

It definitely helps, but there's a high probability we'll still end up out of the 8 at the end of this round (particularly with the Tiges against Melbourne). I think we have a much more forgiving schedule from here on out. No more consecutive 6 day turnarounds. Only one interstate game (against the Suns). Sydney and Essendon only top 4 matches. Still don't have the schedule of the Kangas or Tiges, but I still dunno what to make of them. Saints have a tougher schedule, and the Cats have the toughest, if you still consider them in that bottom Top 8 scramble. The Lions and Fremantle are in that range, as well, but their percentage lets them down a bit, which might be important.

Next week will be a really big test. With all the pressure, and it being against an old rival, I can't tell if this is signs of things to come, or a one-off thing. With Murphy coming back soon, Henderson coming back soon, I think there's still some hope of us making the 8.

Simpson has not missed a game since 2005. If he can't get up next week because of that piece of shit Wellingham, I hope he gets suspended for a long long time. Absolutely no effort to disengage. He even put up his elbow to add to the force on Simpson's head.

edit: For some reason, I thought you were a Sydney boy. :\ No offense, Jables. Still think that player is a kent.

COLLINGWOOD vice-captain Scott Pendlebury will not play against Carlton on Friday night with the Pies erring on the side of caution and giving him another week off.

Pendlebury was poised to return from the leg he fractured against Gold Coast in round 10.

He said on the weekend he was ready to play but failed to be cleared by the club's doctors on the eve of the blockbuster clash with the Blues.

"He had some extra investigative work done this morning and the docs just decided to give him one more week," forward line coach Matthew Lappin said on Thursday morning.
Thanks Lappo. :D

57871_18_1.jpg

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit, I picked North there. Thought, before the game, they'd take the upset fairly easily. Couldn't seem to find their run early on but I felt they almost had it in the bag at half time.
Good fight back from West Coast but damned if I'm not annoyed North dropped it.

Jebus

Couldn't seem to find their run early on but I felt they almost had it in the bag at half time.
Good fight back from West Coast but damned if I'm not annoyed North dropped it.

Dissapointed North fan over here! Even when we were 35 points up going into half time I knew the Eagles would fight there way back, I just didn't think they'd manage to fight there way into the lead.... We really missed Thompson in defence, Delaney just couldn't keep Cox down and should have been moved off of him as soon as Cox looked to have an influence.

Was a great game to watch though, excellent foosball. Next Friday's game against Carlton should be a ripper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom