• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL Evolution announced (Aussie Rules Football)

sector4

To be fair, it would be such a difficult game to code.

It's not a shooter where you basically have a few inputs and outputs (I know I'm oversimplifying to prove a point), but there are so many variables and AI issues to contend with. I'm not a dev but can imagine unless you had the resources of Madden team at your disposal, it would be a massive task.
Absolutely! It's a very difficult sport to translate to video game form, and would be a very tough task, but Big Ant did a very decent job back in 2011, and this latest release from Wicked Witch is a huge step back in many areas.

It's definitely not impossible to make a decent game based on the sport. That being said as well, perhaps Wicked Witch weren't given anywhere near the time or budget that Big Ant where to do their game. It's impossible to know, all I do know though is that you're better off playing AFL Live 1 on 360 if you're able to (PS3 version of that game was pretty rough).

qko

I've always wanted a good AFL/Rugby video game in the US as I know nothing of these sports, but feel that through video games one learns. Never knew much about hockey until I played NHL'96 back in the day.

_Clash_

I've always wanted a good AFL/Rugby video game in the US as I know nothing of these sports, but feel that through video games one learns. Never knew much about hockey until I played NHL'96 back in the day.

do it, join our madness

but understand this is a 6/10 game with good local co op

also,

go red and white

sector4

How many players from each club get the accurate representation treatment?
From memory it was 10 - 18 players per club.
do it, join our madness

but understand this is a 6/10 game with good local co op

also,

go red and white
It's more like a 4/10 with average to broken local co op.

If at all possible, get AFL Live 1 for 360 instead, it's a much better game.

_Clash_

From memory it was 10 - 18 players per club.

It's more like a 4/10 with average to broken local co op.

oh bummer, heard some people say it was shitty fun

Hopefully they can continue to iterate and get a product that sells

AFL should just cough it up, would be a fun marketing venture at worst

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The key to making a good and successful AFL video game is to go the platform route.

Invest (and lose) the money once, and create a base "platform" game which they then sell updates to each year. Make the money off the yearly updates that don't cost as much to produce.

_Clash_

The key to making a good and successful AFL video game is to go the platform route.

Invest (and lose) the money once, and create a base "platform" game which they then sell updates to each year. Make the money off the yearly updates that don't cost as much to produce.

absolutely

but RoI when there's what, 1 million next gen boxes in AU?

AFL should do it for fun and write it off as marketing

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Aussie Rules Football Manager would probably do quite well, come to think of it, especially if there's a loyalty discount each year for owners of recent versions (something Sega took far too long to embrace with Football Manager).

Shaneus

In my local JB I actually saw a sign that said it was all out of stock and they're taking reservations for their next shipment. WTF.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In my local JB I actually saw a sign that said it was all out of stock and they're taking reservations for their next shipment. WTF.

Haha, well, it is the first AFL game in a few years, and the first on current-gen consoles (the Steam-exclusive PC version is still "coming soon").

It's selling very well apparently

72 pages of discussion here on the Biggest AFL board on the Net

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-evolution-launch-thread.1164714/

Most seem to like it

According to Wikipedia, too well:

8FI3k0i.png

ranmafan

Sad to hear about the game's flaws. And yet I'm still considering getting it as I would like to play an AFL game finally, and I might be willing to give it and chance and deal with its problems. Only thing is finding a store that will ship to Japan. Although there is that link that was posted to me before in the thread when I posted before. I'll have to think about it some more though. Might wait a bit but if I can I just might get it. Wish though they take gamers complaints and make a better game next time.

Have you ever been able to play as some of the past legends? We could see Modra vs Scarlett, Franklin vs Jakovich, Macrae vs Cousins, Kennedy vs Silvagni!

Bullet Club

Have you ever been able to play as some of the past legends? We could see Modra vs Scarlett, Franklin vs Jakovich, Macrae vs Cousins, Kennedy vs Silvagni!
I don't think they've had a legends mode. It would be cool but they probably couldn't afford to add the legends.

Ablett Snr vs Ablett Jnr
Carey vs Rance

New Features: When playing as Geelong, you can press X to duck.
Selwood Mode

Bullet Club

The AFL Evolution 2 digital release date for PS4 and Xbox One has been brought forward by a week. It's now out April 16th.

The Switch version is out May 14th.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Yeah it's going to cost $99 forever.

Cricket 19 digital only had a price drop to $39.99 the other week, after being out for a while.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Apologies if I have asked this before, but are these modern AFL games worth playing? I haven’t played an AFL game since AFL 99.

Bullet Club

Apologies if I have asked this before, but are these modern AFL games worth playing? I haven’t played an AFL game since AFL 99.
The first AFL Live (plus the GOTY version) game by Big Ant on the 360/PS3 were pretty good. They just lacked a proper career mode. It was more simulation style.

AFL Live 2 & Evolution are by Wicked Witch, who also did AFL Wii. These games are more arcadey and more fast paced, but don't play as well as the first Live game. Some people really hate them but some fun can be had. They do have proper FIFA style career modes.

I'm not expecting Evo2 to be anything that great, but as long as it's at least a bit better than Evo1 I'll get it.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m guessing that’s a fair challenge
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the umpire thinks the blue guy was going for the ball, then it is deemed fair.

In the HD video, you can see Lewis clench his thumbs as he drifts off to la la land. Always gets me.

Last edited:

Roitorb

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the umpire thinks the blue guy was going for the ball, then it is deemed fair.

In the HD video, you can see Lewis clench his thumbs as he drifts off to la la land. Always gets me.

I knew it was a bit rougher than rugby but bloody hell!

Top Bottom