• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After 400 hours of attempts, streamer finally uploads his Mario Maker level.

cirrhosis

The last third of the video, his reactions are gold. Worth it.

The "it's over, is finally over" bit is gonna be busted out for a special occasion

DJ88

Fucking hate level desing like this -if you can even call this level design-
It's completely based in trial and error and 100% memorization. It's like reciting a book from memory instead of playing a game.

Good levels should allow the player to resolve them as they go, maybe in a few tries if it's challenging enough.

Call this torture, punishment, work, but games should not be like this.

I don't know if it's possible for someone to be so far off the mark. Like you missed the point by a couple thousand lightyears.

It's a completely different kind of level design, and if you think someone who can play Mario like that isn't a master at level design, you couldn't be more wrong.

Case in point

As if it isn't obvious: Failstream is one of best in the world at cape tech, perhaps the best, and this is probably the most complex and difficult cape level made to date.

The level's central gimmick involves the player removing a number of hazards and obstacles to clear a path for the eventual "final flight" sequence in which you fly back through the entire main world of the level. It's a really cool idea.

Final Flight is the third in a trilogy of cape levels he's made.
Check out First Strike and Second Impact.

Thanks for the explanation! Gives a way better picture of the level and even more appreciation for the insane amount of skill needed to get all of those bombs in the right places to clear the way back for the final flight.

Codeblue

That's pretty incredible. Especially that he was able to just casually theorize about Mario Maker while doing things I didn't know we're even possible.

The look on his face at the end though, that's the face of a man held captive by his own creation.

Holy fuck this is insanely impressive. And man its awesome to see how genuinely happy / relieved / stoked he is to finally complete it. Awesome video

Ne0n

Banned
This was incredible.

Fuck all the idiots in this thread trying to bash this guy for either having a mental disorder (seriously?) or wasting his time.

Obviously you've never had a passion before and don't understand it. This is a perfect raw, example of someone who is passionate about something.. He gets really, really good at it, and takes it onto an entire other level. It doesn't matter what it is, basket weaving, sculpting, or making insane incredible levels in Mario maker. It's pushing the brain/creativity onto maximum levels. And it's awesome, and makes being human great.

Samikaze

He did half the fucking level without even actually focusing and just casually talking to the chat.

The fuck.

image.php

(Finally got to do an Avatar post wooo!)

Dreavus

I just hope it doesn't get removed for whatever reason. If no one can finish it than it might not stay up. I've had a few levels taken down after an upload.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
This is definitely the best gaming video I've seen. If you keep working, improving yourself, anything can be achieved, this is inspiring actually.

Rogan

Banned
You can test individual parts of the level and make sure they're all beatable. It's the length of the run that makes it so hard.

That makes this performance a lot more sense.

This video made me smile, great performance. In my world this is a pretty useless perk but good for him, you can see he enjoyed the payoff.

Randam

First of all: OP, can you edit your post and mention that you have to beat your level at least once, before you can upload it?

And second: are there even a couple normal good levels done with Mario maker?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
First of all: OP, can you edit your post and mention that you have to beat your level at least once, before you can upload it?

And second: are there even a couple normal good levels done with Mario maker?

The second question is a joke, right?

JackDT

And just days later, a 16-year-old has beaten the level in "only" 72 hours of playtime.

Note that he says in the description: "I recreated the level in the middle of July and began practicing it" so the 72 hours is just his practice post-upload.

chrixter

Note that he says in the description: "I recreated the level in the middle of July and began practicing it" so the 72 hours is just his practice post-upload.
He says in the comments that the 72 hours includes his practice time. It would've been really difficult to play the level for 72 hours in the 3-4 days after it was uploaded.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not really. I don't own and follow the game. And every time I see a level it's a kaizo level.

Oh I assumed you knew.

The reason you only see those levels is because those are the ones that generate "controversy" or "news". Think about how many amazing SMW levels exist...Nobody talks about how perfect those are. It's the same thing.

Top Bottom