• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age-defying: Master key of lifespan found in brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

http://www.newscientist.com/article...er-key-of-lifespan-found-in-brain.html?page=2

The brain's mechanism for controlling ageing has been discovered – and manipulated to shorten and extend the lives of mice. Drugs to slow ageing could follow

Tick tock, tick tock… A mechanism that controls ageing, counting down to inevitable death, has been identified in the hypothalamus – a part of the brain that controls most of the basic functions of life.

By manipulating this mechanism, researchers have both shortened and lengthened the lifespan of mice. The discovery reveals several new drug targets that, if not quite an elixir of youth, may at least delay the onset of age-related disease.

While investigating ageing processes in the brain, Cai and his colleagues noticed that ageing mice produce increasing levels of nuclear factor kB (NF-kB)   – a protein complex that plays a major role in regulating immune responses. NF-kB is barely active in the hypothalamus of 3 to 4-month-old mice but becomes very active in old mice, aged 22 to 24 months.

To see whether it was possible to affect ageing by manipulating levels of this protein complex, Cai's team tested three groups of middle-aged mice. One group was given gene therapy that inhibits NF-kB, the second had gene therapy to activate NF-kB, while the third was left to age naturally.

This last group lived, as expected, between 600 and 1000 days. Mice with activated NF-kB all died within 900 days, while the animals with NF-kB inhibition lived for up to 1100 days.
Crucially, the mice that lived the longest not only increased their lifespan but also remained mentally and physically fit for longer.

Six months after receiving gene therapy, all the mice were given a series of tests involving cognitive and physical ability.

In all of the tests, the mice that subsequently lived the longest outperformed the controls, while the short-lived mice performed the worst.

To see if they could control lifespan using this hormone, the team gave another group of mice  – 20 to 24 months old  – daily subcutaneous injections of GnRH for five to eight weeks. These mice lived longer too, by a length of time similar to that of mice with inhibited NF-kB.

GnRH injections also resulted in new neurons in the brain. What's more, when injected directly into the hypothalamus, GnRH influenced other brain regions, reversing widespread age-related decline and further supporting the idea that the hypothalamus could be a master controller for many ageing processes.

GnRH injections even delayed ageing in the mice that had been given gene therapy to activate NF-kB and would otherwise have aged more quickly than usual. None of the mice in the study showed serious side effects.

So could regular doses of GnRH keep death at bay? Cai hopes to find out how different doses affect lifespan, but says the hormone is unlikely to prolong life indefinitely since GnRH is only one of many factors at play. "Ageing is the most complicated biological process," he says.

"There are dozens of pathways that people will look at thanks to this work," says Richard Miller at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Miller has previously demonstrated that an immunosuppressant drug called rapamycin can also extend life in mice (see "A guide to defying age").

Since the hypothalamus  – and GnRH in particular  – regulate several major biological processes, it may be possible to influence ageing through related mechanisms, says Miller. He wants to look at possible dietary interventions, such as the indirect effect that spikes in glucose may have on the hypothalamus.

Stuart Maudsley at the National Institute on Aging in Baltimore, Maryland, agrees that the hypothalamus could be the route in for age-controlling drugs. "The body is all one big juicy system," he says. The ideal drug would hit that system at its centre. "Activate that keystone and everything falls into place," he says.

Though this is the first time that an explicit role has been found for GnRH in the ageing process, previous studies in humans have hinted at a link between longevity and fertility – in which the hormone is known to play a significant role.

"There are maybe 10 steps to controlling ageing," says Miller. "We've taken the first two or three." The first is simply accepting the idea that ageing can be slowed down, he says. "Many think it can't. They are wrong."

Maudsley reckons that we could see drugs that slow ageing in the next 20 years. Initially, though, research is likely to focus on delaying the onset of age-related diseases. "That could solve some real problems," says Cai.

But since the hypothalamus has an effect on every cell in the body, Maudsley warns that interfering with it could lead to unwanted sequences of events. "You're playing with fire," he says.
Journal reference: Nature, 10.1038/nature12143

Amazing, to think in 20 years you'll be able to reverse aging to some degree, and who knows what else.

so which will get here first, VR/android immortality, or biological immortality? Seems the race is on.

Woorloog

Banned
http://www.newscientist.com/article...er-key-of-lifespan-found-in-brain.html?page=2

Amazing, to think in 20 years you'll be able to reverse aging to some degree, and who knows what else.

so which will get here first, VR/android immortality, or biological immortality? Seems the race is on.

We live wonderful times.
All these emerging technologies...
And above all looms the Singularity. (Simply defined as something truly game changing, a point beyond which we cannot even guess what could be)
I belive we will have that during our lifetimes.

Talents

Banned
Sounds awesome, wonder how long it will be before this is tried on humans. We'll probably achieve androids, but I doubt we will ever achieve something like immortality, just seems way to far fetched.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I was born 20 to 30 years too early.

Fuck me.

Maybe. But scientific progress will get more rapid as more people are in the 1st world and software/hardware continues to make us more productive.

I think in 20 years there will be multiple ways to slow aging. That will buy us time to figure out how to repair aging.

Or more cynically you could be right. We may be too old for the anti-aging death velocity curve.

sunnz

Instead of helping people, it will be put behind a very very high paywall ( gotta get that $$) were only the super super rich can afford it, so really it's a good 100 years off at best.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
people need to age and die. there's nothing more horrifying than the richest of the rich, living forever.

teh_pwn

people need to age and die. there's nothing more horrifying than the richest of the rich, living forever.

So everyone dying is totally the way to fix that.

The rationalizations of mortality are often irrational.

Instead of helping people, it will be put behind a very very high paywall ( gotta get that $$) were only the super super rich can afford it, so really it's a good 100 years off at best.

why do people always claim this about medicine?

Has it ever been true?

I think people should be granted long life under the proviso that they don't have children. As soon as you decide to have children, the key is turned back so you will eventually die.

V_Arnold

Well, the next life I experience around a hundred years from now should be wildly interesting. (Not that I am currently bored, far from it!)

teh_pwn

why do people always claim this about medicine?

Has it ever been true?

Yeah, I don't get this mentality. Anti-aging is something everyone would get. Everyone would want it, and if it were limited there would likely be widespread violence to get it.

But that's nuts. If there's a rich class they'll want everyone to have it because scientists and engineers with 200 years of experience with the body of a 20 year old are going to be way more productive and make way more money than the status quo.

Jado

Banned
I was born 20 to 30 years too early.

Fuck me.

Why? Will you be dead in 20 years? Because the research shows that the mice benefited from this at any point in life, including those that were aged quicker. It may be the sort of thing that always extends life X number of years, whether you start at age 10 or well into your 50s.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sounds like a sci-fi novel.

Woorloog

Banned
Let's be real: this is only going to be available to billionaires.
Available because it is expensive (if so, why is it expensive, can the price brought down), or because artificial restriction of availability?

Regardless, can you imagine the consequences of that?
I sure as hell would start shooting billionaries until the goddamn thing is available for everyone. I don't doubt there would be others who'd do that as well.
So, first thing the billionaries would have to do would be to bribe armies or others who can protect them.
Well... Assuming the problems following that could be addressed fast, Earth is already a bit overpopulated...

EDIT availability just to, say, Western countries could be disastrous as well, war beetween the West and the rest could follow.

Available because it is expensive (if so, why is it expensive, can the price brought down), or because artificial restriction of availability?

Regardless, can you imagine the consequences of that?
I sure as hell would start shooting billionaries until the goddamn thing is available for everyone. I don't doubt there would be others who'd do that as well.
So, first thing the billionaries would have to do would be to bribe armies or others who can protect them.
Well... Assuming the problems following that could be addressed fast, Earth is already a bit overpopulated...
There's nothing quite like knowing you're going to be around for a long to force you to sort out problems like pollution and overpopulation.

Red UFO

It's crazy that we have a mechanism in our brain that makes us die basically. We evolved with a function to help prevent over population. That's insane.

Eusis

So everyone dying is totally the way to fix that.

The rationalizations of mortality are often irrational.
More importantly it looks like this doesn't actually prevent death, just delays it and shuts down the diseases related to it. Which is probably ENOUGH anyway, half the reason growing old sucks is how your body can break down, and if it's basically on orders to do so in part then preventing that will be nice.

It's crazy that we have a mechanism in our brain that makes us die basically. We evolved with a function to help prevent over population. That's insane.
I think it is more amazing that we have evolved to a point where we can control and speed up a process that has taken millions of years.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
We were born like 50 years too early. So close to immortality and yet so far, this sucks.

Finally! A way for RDJ to keep on playing as Iron Man for Avengers 4

Seriously, this tech could be dangerous. It just seems too easy.

Enlightening post. I don't know how till will stop cancer though, cells keep diving, cancer will be inevitable, specially given how bad the food source and the environment is these days.

Things do not need to die by aging. Lobsters do not age for example.

Well, the next life I experience around a hundred years from now should be wildly interesting. (Not that I am currently bored, far from it!)

Is this a "I will for sure reincarnate as a human being" statement or a "this technology will be available to me before I die" statement?

Enlightening post. I don't know how till will stop cancer though, cells keep diving, cancer will be inevitable, specially given how bad the food source and the environment is these days.

It is not enlightening, but flat out wrong.

Group selection is a phony theory with no evidence for it. We did not evolve a kill switch "for the good of the species to prevent overpopulation."

That's patently false, or at the very least very unproven. But yeah, take baseless assertions as "enlightening."

I hate being so cynical, I can't help but imagine all of the fucked up things that will transpire over an immortality elixir, like it being exclusive to the rich, which in turn births a violent clash over the stockpiles that the rich have. Or on the other hand it becoming available to everyone, the population then booms, resources become scarce and everyone goes to war over the little we have left. Logically I know both of these scenarios are unlikely, but it doesn't feel that way and both scenarios would at least be unsurprising to me. Guess I'm just a misanthrope or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom