• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age-defying: Master key of lifespan found in brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not enlightening, but flat out wrong.

Group selection is a phony theory with no evidence for it. We did not evolve a kill switch "for the good of the species to prevent overpopulation."

That's patently false, or at the very least very unproven. But yeah, take baseless assertions as "enlightening."

I am sorry I don't know too much about biology.

i wouldn't mind getting sterilized in exchange for a longer lifespan/immortality. if that's the trade off, make me ever-lasting.

Conor 419

Banned
Immortality is happening, that's a thing. I for one, am preparing for it. Certainly being on the right side of history on this one, I want to be young forever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Even if aging could be slowed, or stopped, I wonder how it would be distributed to the general population. Are only the richest going to be able to afford it, what role would the government take in limiting it? Pretty interesting stuff. I would love to be around to see it, even if I'm not one of the 'immortals'.

Forget mice just study Pharrell in a lab.

This man is 40 years old.

a_3x-vertical.jpg

Perkel

Banned
sheeeeeeeeet remember "In Time" movie ?

Looks like our kids will have those watches already in their hands. Wanna buy a coffe ? 2 hours.

Will Salas: I don't have time. I don't have time to worry about how it happened. It is what it is. We're genetically engineered to stop aging at 25. The trouble is, we live only one more year, unless we can get more time. Time is now the currency. We earn it and spend it. The rich can live forever. And the rest of us? I just want to wake up with more time on my hand than hours in the day.

Let's be real: this is only going to be available to billionaires.

There's going to be some very interesting social debates moving forward as technology progresses. This type of shit combined with 3D printing an other advancements and soon we'll be on Gattaca level discussions.

Just keep the research going. Nobody is saying "Only rich people will get the cure for cancer!" or "Only rich people will get the cure for Alzheimers!" Sure, that might happen at first. But just keep it coming. I've only got 30-50 years left.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Living Forever, not going to happen.
Extending Lifespan another 50-100 years, possible.
Extending the healthy lifetime and taking out dementia, yes please, it will help us all.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If mice can afford it why not us.

I think the expensive idea is because of how much healthcare costs. That's different. Say you're terminally ill with cancer. There is no cure for cancer, only treatments that improve your odds. Those treatments are extremely long and high maintenance.

If they figure out a suite of anti-aging treatments, it's likely going to be inject-able, mass produced, and in high demand. Probably government subsidized like nothing else. It's going to be cheap, like water, utilities. Maybe expensive at first like modern sanitation and electricity was at first but not for long.

There is no rational reason why you should live longer than everyone else.

There's no rational reason for why everyone should die at the same age either.

Not everyone can afford cancer treatments in the US. That doesn't mean we should deprive treatment for those who can afford it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Nature is about balance, hence we die. Not a good idea to become more of a pest than we already are.

Instead of appealing to naturalism, you could man up and take the hypothetical treatment and dedicate your life to fixing our energy/global warming problem.

Instead of appealing to naturalism, you could man up and take the hypothetical treatment and dedicate your life to fixing our energy/global warming problem.

But man nature is like... the best

I don't do anything unnatural. *posts this from my air conditioned home, with artificial lights, on my man-made internet.*

Conor 419

Banned
Even if aging could be slowed, or stopped, I wonder how it would be distributed to the general population. Are only the richest going to be able to afford it, what role would the government take in limiting it? Pretty interesting stuff. I would love to be around to see it, even if I'm not one of the 'immortals'.

Initially, but then doubtless a company would come along and package immortality to be affordable for the general public. They'll be the Apple of their time

Perkel

Banned
Can you explain why lobsters don't age?

This wouldn't prevent humans from aging or dying. Just extend their lifespan.

Well we may start eating eachother when we will run out of food. Because that is 100% confirmed if human lifespan will increase a lot.

Conor 419

Banned
Nature is about balance, hence we die. Not a good idea to become more of a pest than we already are.

Nature isn't about shit.

Immortality could greatly increase the number of veteran scientists and other field experts we'll have collaborating on their respective projects, a lot of the mistakes from history can be dealt with on a very real basis. Humanity will be collectively more wise, and the work we produce significantly improved. We'll have youthful, mentally and physically fit teachers conveying thousands of years worth of knowledge to societies children.

Needless to say, this is a very real investment into dealing with the problems the future holds. If we can surpass the initial rough patch, we'll become galactic contenders, and then the REAL shit will start to go down.

Who realistically doesn't want to be about for that?

Yes! Two threads in one day about immortality. I'm no statistician, but that must mean we're on our way, right? Riiiiiight? Please?

This. Nobody actually wants to die.

At this rate we'll discover it tomorrow! I read two articles about this today, and zero yesterday. That's an infinite increase. Tomorrow???????

Falcs

Banned
Why? Will you be dead in 20 years? Because the research shows that the mice benefited from this at any point in life, including those that were aged quicker. It may be the sort of thing that always extends life X number of years, whether you start at age 10 or well into your 50s.
But it would be better if you start to extend your life in your late teens/early 20's when you are at your physical peak rather then when you're in your 50's and your body has already deteriorated.
It'd be like having a longer 20's rather than having a longer 50's.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Actually it can happen there are animals that do not have lifespan. They just grow until they fall from some disease or will be eaten by some other animal.

That is a good point, even if you can extend lifespan there is still disease, cancer, and many things that will kill you. Just because you can live for 1,000 years doesn't mean that you will live that long when there is war, famine, and random acts of violence.

akira28

Let's be real: this is only going to be available to billionaires.

Then we put out word to the superstitious peasants that if you eat a billionaire, you live an extra 100 years. problem solved/created/whatever. interesting things made to happen.

Darkkn

I wish i was born fifty years from now. It's going to be the worst to be dying when incredible shit is about to become reality.

Woorloog

Banned
But it would be better if you start to extend your life in your late teens/early 20's when you are at your physical peak rather then when you're in your 50's and your body has already deteriorated.
It'd be like having a longer 20's rather than having a longer 50's.

Bah, non-issue. Extend lifespan, wait as scientists figure out how to reverse aging (rejuvenation).

KorrZ

I'm glad I'm still young, seems that human lifespan is going to increase drastically by the time I'm middle aged, which means I'll technically still be young!

See y'all in 20 years.

Can you explain why lobsters don't age?

This wouldn't prevent humans from aging or dying. Just extend their lifespan.

Can you tell me if there are studies that have confirmed that lobsters never die of age, or if there have been mechanisms discovered to measure their age?
the answers seem to be no, and yes

Conor 419 said:
Nature isn't about shit.

Immortality could greatly increase the number of veteran scientists and other field experts we'll have collaborating on their respective projects, a lot of the mistakes from history can be dealt with on a very real basis. Humanity will be collectively more wise, and the work we produce significantly improved. We'll have youthful, mentally and physically fit teachers conveying thousands of years worth of knowledge to societies children.

Needless to say, this is a very real investment into dealing with the problems the future holds. If we can surpass the initial rough patch, we'll become galactic contenders, and then the REAL shit will start to go down.

Who realistically doesn't want to be about for that?

What kind of utopia do you live in? If your illustrious saviors of the world can't do shit for 40+ years, what indication do you have that they can do it in the additional time? Very naive.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
sounds like science is just gonna break human life in future, we need people to die to keep the world moving and for space (as harsh as they may sound) we are aready struggling for space in many place and when u got less n less people dying then yeah, i fear those times lol

1. The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster
for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of
those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have
destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected
human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological
suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have
inflicted severe damage on the natural world. The continued
development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly
subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage
on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social
disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased
physical suffering even in "advanced" countries.

- Ted Kaczynski PhD

How will we evolve when it's just the same stinky bastards that keep living?

Self directed evolution through genetic modification and cybernetic enhancement. But why do we have to "evolve" anyway? It's an undirected process with no end point. It's not like we'll be getting better because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom