• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age-defying: Master key of lifespan found in brain

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrokeJoe

Self directed evolution through genetic modification and cybernetic enhancement. But why do we have to "evolve" anyway? It's an undirected process with no end point. It's not like we'll be getting better because of it.

Well when you put it that way and I can choose my penis I'm all for it.

Woorloog

Banned
Self directed evolution through genetic modification and cybernetic enhancement. But why do we have to "evolve" anyway? It's an undirected process with no end point. It's not like we'll be getting better because of it.

Why? Because we fucking can!
There is a big frigging universe waiting for us, let us evolve ourselves to something that can conquer it!

1. The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster
for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of
those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have
destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected
human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological
suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have
inflicted severe damage on the natural world. The continued
development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly
subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage
on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social
disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased
physical suffering even in "advanced" countries.

- Ted Kaczynski PhD

Are you trying to compare anybody with a bit of cynical outlook on this to a terrorist? or are you co-signing his opinions?

Why? Because we fucking can!
There is a big frigging universe waiting for us, let us evolve ourselves to something that can conquer it!

You do realize that evolution does not always improve things, right? There are no selection pressures presently existing that would steer human evolution in the direction of being smarter or stronger. If we want to become some sort of ubermensch we'll have to modify ourselves.

Woorloog

Banned
You do realize that evolution does not always improve things, right? There are no selection pressures presently existing that would steer human evolution in the direction of being smarter or stronger. If we want to become some sort of ubermensch we'll have to modify ourselves.

Evolve, modify, whatever.
Yeah, sure, directed evolution is kinda oxymoronic. Usually people, including me, use to mean species self-modification.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I read this book recently. Paints a pretty bleak picture of what a world without aging would eventually turn into.

Qf1cOi3.jpg

Conor 419

Banned
Can you tell me if there are studies that have confirmed that lobsters never die of age, or if there have been mechanisms discovered to measure their age?
the answers seem to be no, and yes

What kind of utopia do you live in? If your illustrious saviors of the world can't do shit for 40+ years, what indication do you have that they can do it in the additional time? Very naive.

Are you actually joking? You understand the concept of human capital right? Look at the technology we've developed in this world, and tell me that having our best and brightest minds having hundreds of years more experience in addition to working together, is not going to be useful?

Evolve, modify, whatever.
Yeah, sure, directed evolution is kinda oxymoronic. Usually people, including me, use to mean species self-modification.

Well it isn't that oxymoronic. Evolution is not exactly natural selection, though natural selection typically causes evolution. Evolution is really just changes in allele frequencies in a population over time.

Woorloog

Banned
Well it isn't that oxymoronic. Evolution is not exactly natural selection, though natural selection typically causes evolution. Evolution is really just changes in allele frequencies in a population over time.

Oxymoronic in the sense that evolution has no set goal but self-modification does have, and directed evolution is used to mean self-modification.

ZenaxPure

The human race has spent our entire time on this planet overcoming nature, this just seems like another step in that direction to me.

The human race has spent our entire time on this planet overcoming nature, this just seems like another step in that direction to me.
I'd say we are redefining our relationship with our environment to the point that we ourselves establish what constitutes our environment. Mindfuckery of the highest order either way.

I'd argue that this is a part of nature. Our intellect (and the things that result from it) is our specialty/niche, like an eagle's eye or a cheetah's speed.

edit: woah, ^ beaten.

Woorloog

Banned
I'd say we are redefining our relationship with our environment to the point that we ourselves establish what constitutes our environment. Mindfuckery of the highest order either way.

Humans adapt to their environment... but we also adapt our environment to suit our needs.
This makes us succesful as a species.
Next step, the stars. Make sure our species (well, off-shoots of it probably) exists still there is no more universe.

DarkFlow

Banned
Great, we can now put even more pressure on the earths Eco system. It can barley support the number of people we have now, and then you go and extend the life of everyone making the population skyrocket.

ZenaxPure

I'd argue that this is a part of nature. Our intellect (and the things that result from it) is our specialty/niche, like an eagle's eye or a cheetah's speed.

I would agree I guess, in the long term, but to me it just looks like the "endgame" of our entire existence. Don't confuse that we me saying our purpose as a race is to overcome aging and death, but merely that it's a side effect of what we've been doing since our ancestors discovered that fire keeps you from freezing to death.

Are you actually joking? You understand the concept of human capital right? Look at the technology we've developed in this world, and tell me that having our best and brightest minds having hundreds of years more experience in addition to working together, is not going to be useful?

Extending the lives of the 1% that contribute at the cost of extending the 99% that consume natural resources and offset the balance in nature, I say no thanks. Thanks to storing information since the time of the egyptians, the knowledge gained by one group is not lost (unless you stored it in the library of Alexandria). If that is your sole argument, I say there is even more benefit to having fresh minds look at the data (see every finding in history).

kswiston

The human race would stagnate if people lived forever. We need new points of view, and a turnover of the people who hold the reins of power politically and financially.

Also, from what was posted, it looks like the oldest mice in the experiment group lived 1100 days, while the control group did not make it past 900 days. I'd take 20% more life, but it's not exactly biological immortality.

Conor 419

Banned
Extending the lives of the 1% that contribute at the cost of extending the 99% that consume natural resources and offset the balance in nature, I say no thanks. Thanks to storing information since the time of the egyptians, the knowledge gained by one group is not lost (unless you stored it in the library of Alexandria). If that is your sole argument, I say there is even more benefit to having fresh minds look at the data (see every finding in history).

So in society there's 1% of people who contribute and 99% who just mill about and eat Krave?

Too much Fox News dude.

Available because it is expensive (if so, why is it expensive, can the price brought down), or because artificial restriction of availability?

Regardless, can you imagine the consequences of that?
I sure as hell would start shooting billionaries until the goddamn thing is available for everyone. I don't doubt there would be others who'd do that as well.
So, first thing the billionaries would have to do would be to bribe armies or others who can protect them.
Well... Assuming the problems following that could be addressed fast, Earth is already a bit overpopulated...

EDIT availability just to, say, Western countries could be disastrous as well, war beetween the West and the rest could follow.

Psycho talk

Woorloog

Banned

No idea what's the clip's point.
I was kinda exaggerating, but i sure as hell wouldn't try to stop people, or discourage them. But that's (killing) bound to happen if any life-extension treatment is not equally accessible.

By the way, if someone is interesting in life extension in fiction:
Kim Stanley Robinsson's Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) explore consequences of life-extension treatment. Of course, that is only a part of the trilogy, but it is interesting reading as a whole, if you like well researched hard scifi.
In the books, first-world countries make it part of general health-care, though in practice people get it through employee benefits. Third-world kinda rebels against others because they have no access to the treatment, and it wasn't bloodless in the first-world either.

So in society there's 1% of people who contribute and 99% who just mill about and eat Krave?

Too much Fox News dude.

I guess the true ratio is closer to the 80/20 rule, but if we are talking about your geniuses that truly have an impact in the course of history, 1% would be a kind estimate.

And I hate fox news and conservatives for that matter.

braves01

Banned
It would be devastating to the environment unless people changed their breeding habits significantly or something radical changed in our consumption patterns.

Conor 419

Banned
I guess the true ratio is closer to the 80/20 rule, but if we are talking about your geniuses that truly have an impact in the course of history, 1% would be a kind estimate.

And I hate fox news and conservatives for that matter.

I see that what I'm saying is very idealistic, but I think immortality could bring a lot of benefit. Especially as the time span will ultimately let everyone get really good at stuff in general.

Could create awkward dynamics at clubs tho when everyone's the same age physically, but obv there's the mental disparity. The 800 year olds would steer well the FUCK away from the 400 year olds because the 400 year olds' cultural fads were weird as fuck. The 500, 600 & 700 year olds would probably hang out and be cool, but then the 1000 year olds and 200 year olds would have this mega weird love for eachother cos their generations both discovered Fijian death metal at the same time. Then the legit 20 year olds would be terrified as fuck cos they're dealing with all this shit early on and are like 'whaaaaat'

rykomatsu

Maybe. But scientific progress will get more rapid as more people are in the 1st world and software/hardware continues to make us more productive.

Rate of drugs making it to market hasnt changed drastically in years/decades even with software/hardware improvements.

A solution in a rat is many many many steps and dollars away from approval and the vast majority of development will fail.

Matugi

If it operates via controlling GnRH production it sounds like that it effectively stops the body's natural maturation process. GnRH causes the production of FSH and LH which in turn cause puberty and maturation.

Edit: on second view it's increasing the GnRH and not decreasing it. I guess that means that it would put the body in a perpetual state of young adulthood (young as in ages 25-49) where the body is at its most vital.

SiteSeer

1. The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster
for the human race. They have greatly increased the life-expectancy of
those of us who live in "advanced" countries, but they have
destabilized society, have made life unfulfilling, have subjected
human beings to indignities, have led to widespread psychological
suffering (in the Third World to physical suffering as well) and have
inflicted severe damage on the natural world. The continued
development of technology will worsen the situation. It will certainly
subject human beings to greater indignities and inflict greater damage
on the natural world, it will probably lead to greater social
disruption and psychological suffering, and it may lead to increased
physical suffering even in "advanced" countries.

- Ted Kaczynski PhD

can one paragraph be anymore vague? i feel like if you just blanked out a few choice words, you could have a really great, yet gloomy, ad lib going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom