• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 2 is coming to Steam? [Update: Evidence continues to mount, 4-pack]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty

Well this is very good news very good news.

God I used to play this game so much as a kid it was one of the games that made me a PC gamer. I was just thinking a few weeks ago how much it sucked that I lost my CDs for it. As it has been a very long time since I last played it. When this hits Steam I will get it day 1.

Edit: Man just thinking about it is bringing back memories. I would always play as the Teutons and was always gold/yellow because I thought the Teutonic Knights were bad ass and looked most bad ass in that color. This better come out soon now as I am getting smacked hard by all the nostalgia.

Tehalemi

Pssh, armies of catapults and elephants ain't nothing to my one priest.

Wololo to the lot o' ya!!! >:D

1338633826370.gif

I think I'm ready to have this series back into my life now. :')

I'm going to buy so many copies to give people.

I almost hope HD only means it will support higher res displays, and not that they're touching the graphics in any way (which I doubt they would, honestly).

ShaneB

4 copies of the same game? LOL, that's pointless. Though I'm sure they'd rather sell you 4 copies for $20 than 1 copy for $5.

Well it's more like 4 copies of the game for 30 dollars instead of 4 people buying it for 10 dollars each. Save some money, promote multiplayer and playing with the folks you bought the pack with etc etc.

It's not rocket science! :p

4 copies of the same game? LOL, that's pointless. Though I'm sure they'd rather sell you 4 copies for $20 than 1 copy for $5.

The four pack is to promote multiplayer; you buy four copies, keep one for yourself, gift three to three of your friends, and then you all play with each other.

Darryl

Banned
Is this a starcraft style rts where you build or what?

yea, actually more of an emphasis on building than starcraft does IMO. whenever i play starcraft i tend to follow a much more prescribed empire building formula than when i play AoE, where I tend to just build my empire to my choosing. you've got options like walls, towers, and trading centers to mix it up.

BJWanlund

Holy cow...

If MGS is buddy-buddy with Steam now, this is a very positive sign that GFWL is practically on life support, and that they'll bring some of their good digital-only games from the consoles to Steamworks.

Please God Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Perfect Dark HD and future HD/XBLA ports of older Rareware games like Killer Instinct, that'd be badass

I guess. It just sounds like an excuse for them to charge more money and then say "well look at all the cool stuff you can do with 4 copies!"

NBtoaster

I guess. It just sounds like an excuse for them to charge more money and then say "well look at all the cool stuff you can do with 4 copies!"

If you only want 1-3 you get the individual version for cheaper.

This isn't something new, was done for Borderlands 2, Dead Island, etc.

web01

Unless they they include the features the unofficial patch allows such as higher unit counts, co op vs ai etc then this wont be worth a damn.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So many people never heard of 4 packs before....

It's understandable if they haven't used Steam until recently, but otherwise I'm amazed the concept went unnoticed as Steam began selling multi-unit bundles more than four years ago with the original Left 4 Dead.

Unless they they include the features the unofficial patch allows such as higher unit counts, co op vs ai etc then this wont be worth a damn.

Meh. The vanilla Age of Empires II was so good that few to none modern RTSs match it in terms of quality. Microsoft does not have to worry about including any 'improvements' to Age of Kings. Age of Kings was so good that it was perfect; any perceived 'improvements' added to the core game after that only led to a deterioration in quality, as evidenced by the largely negative reception of Age of Empires III.

Been playing the Forgotten Empires expansion recently and have been thoroughly satisfied... hopefully more people will download and play it once they repurchase Age of Kings.

My best friend always liked this game more than Starcraft, the only thing I liked to do in the game was spam the emotes and piss him off.

Grief.exe

Also doesn't this look like a HD remake not the original?

Its most likely just a compatibility fix, switch to D3D, wide screen adjustments, and some Steamworks support.

We don't fully know but it is highly unlikely to have any other graphical enhancements.

DocSeuss

That would be horrible.

Please don't suggest that.

For AoE2, yes.

It's awesome in AoEO. That game, after all the updates, deserved a lot more love. Being F2P really hurt it, and rightfully so. All that online crap kept detracting from the actual game experience. :(

Grief.exe

It could use the AOE:Online assets?

That's a ridiculous amount of work and you lose some of the nostalgia factor.

Just read the whole OP. One of the original AoE designers over at Ensemble, now works at Valve, outlined exactly what would be done.

Grief.exe

I cant wait for the official announcement.

Ill be sure to post it here with a big CONFIRMED in the title. This time, the mods cant change it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom