• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 2 is coming to Steam? [Update: Evidence continues to mount, 4-pack]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Typically don't build ANY farms until the end of feudal age. Depending on the map, you can make it well into castle before you should start getting farms. Farms generate food much more slowly than deer/sheep, and cost wood, which is valuable for early offensive strategies.

Other than that I agree completely :)

From what I remember, most pre-Castle rush strategies were doomed because of how good garrison defence of the Town Centre is. I remember mostly trying to get to Castle ASAP and then going offensive. But you're right, you obviously herd your cows and hunt any very close deer and strip the berry bushes first before farming. I like farming, though, because it keeps a huge chunk of your villagers close to the TC which means you can respond very actively by ringing the bell if anything comes up.

Facism

seeing as this is an age of empires 2 thread, i thought i would ask.

Is there a way i can set the game's res to 1440x900? I'm using forgotten empires but the bugger doesn't have that resolution in it's options.

ShaneB

Briefly played the demo, getting some weird colour issues, so won't play it much, heh, but already my first impressions are certainly positive. Odd to realize this all of a sudden became my most anticipated game, a nice surprise!

Wes

venison crêpe
Just remembering all the great times I had playing this.

Black Forest Deathmatches.
8 player Nomad games.
Goth rushes.
That feeling when you get the deer to run *just* the way you want when you're hunting them.

So so good.

Tehalemi

There's an Age of Empires Facebook page? Link me please! :D

HHEEE HA!

563273_496026700434741_1071194257_n.png

:3

reggie

Banned
I would give anything to go back in time and play this game again back at its peak. MSN gaming zone, joining clans, the community...

If this rerelease brings back even a tiny part of that... oh god.

inky

This thread made me go look through my old discs box and I only found my Age of Empires 1 manual, but no discs D:

I did find my copies of Magic Carpet 2 and Crusader: No Regret.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wow! This now, after I started again to play AOE 2 in 1-on-1 matches with a friend. After so many years. Just last friday we had an epic 6 hours game. Count me in, I want this remake!

The awesome custom maps! The bread-and-butter Frush to Knight conversion! The laughing command! Bezerkerjerker's awesome custom maps!

This game was the bomb. Day one.

bill0527

I think some terminology is getting confused in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing about this game is being remade, its only being patched to work on modern systems, and adding modern resolutions?

I think some terminology is getting confused in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing about this game is being remade, its only being patched to work on modern systems, and adding modern resolutions?

There's also the suggestion that it may be using steamworks for online play, but that's not yet been made clear. But yeah, this looks to be a simple resolution/widescreen fixer upper and forward compatibility patch job.

Bedlam

I sure hope so. I want those great 2D graphics of the original game. 3D RTS games just never felt as good to me.

Grief.exe

I'm so goddamn excited. I will be foisting 4-packs on my friends.

I get a real question, who is getting my copy because I let you guys know lol

There's also the suggestion that it may be using steamworks for online play, but that's not yet been made clear. But yeah, this looks to be a simple resolution/widescreen fixer upper and forward compatibility patch job.

Yep, all we know right now is it has achievements available.

Hopefully that leads to full on Steamworks, including cloud save, multiplayer, etc, but we will have to see.

From what I remember, most pre-Castle rush strategies were doomed because of how good garrison defence of the Town Centre is. I remember mostly trying to get to Castle ASAP and then going offensive. But you're right, you obviously herd your cows and hunt any very close deer and strip the berry bushes first before farming. I like farming, though, because it keeps a huge chunk of your villagers close to the TC which means you can respond very actively by ringing the bell if anything comes up.

The point of Feudal (Flush) and even Dark Age rushes (Drush) was not to pummel your opponent. It was to disrupt his economy and not attack the town centre.

You'd rush with a mixture of spearmen and skirmishers (or for more unusual rushes, a scout cavalry and archer rush, but this was more expensive and risky since counters exist for both in feudal; there was also the tower rush and the insane and mostly ineffective villager rush) and harass the lumberjacks and miners to slow your opponents capability of pushing back and/or advancing to castle, meanwhile you advance to castle and then bring in your knights for the kill.

The town centre in the in Age of Empires 2, past the 2.0 patch, drastically neutered the range and attack strength of town centres and this carried into the expansion as well. A range of 6 is not that great, especially when most of your primary resources are either at or beyond this range (gold and stone are almost always beyond this range).

And I yelped like a girl when I saw this new news that basically confirms the rumours!

:3 indeed. I'm really starting to get hyped.

I just hope that this somehow leads to an AoM sequel. Please Microsoft, do something awesome for once.

AoM was my favorite childhood game. I even still have the disc but I don't know if it still works. In fact I have all the AoE games from when a local game store had a firesale. Would they still work on a Windows 7 computer?

AoM

AoM was my favorite childhood game. I even still have the disc but I don't know if it still works. In fact I have all the AoE games from when a local game store had a firesale. Would they still work on a Windows 7 computer?

I definitely know AoM does. Bought another copy last summer.

Grief.exe

If this is successful, AoM could be next.

Who knows what Microsoft is planning, but we have Fez, Dust: An Elysian Tail, and possibly Halo 3 all coming to Steam pretty soon.
None of these have been confirmed, the first two have been heavily hinted at, while the latter has only shown up in the registry.

Grief.exe

Wouldn't these achivements be related to multiplayer modes. Maybe someone more familiar with the game can comment on Wonder Race or Defend Wonder.

But King of the Hill and Deathmatch seem pretty obvious to me.

• ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_KINGOFHILL_HIGH
  • ACHIEVEMENT_NUM_MVP_AWARDS_MED
  • ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_DEFENDWONDER_HIGH
  • ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_DEATHMATCH_HIGH
  • ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_WONDERRACE_HIGH

Wouldn't these achivements be related to multiplayer modes. Maybe someone more familiar with the game can comment on Wonder Race or Defend Wonder.

But King of the Hill and Deathmatch seem pretty obvious to me.

• ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_KINGOFHILL_HIGH
  • ACHIEVEMENT_NUM_MVP_AWARDS_MED
  • ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_DEFENDWONDER_HIGH
  • ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_DEATHMATCH_HIGH
  • ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_PLAYED_WONDERRACE_HIGH

All of these modes are available for single player as well.

Platy

I would buy instnatly even if the resolution was 800x600 MAX ... but HD ???

YES PLEASE

[/LIST]

Wonders were very hard to make buildings that gave you instant win if they survived for long enoght

reKon

Banned
I played this shit more than WC II back in the day. The custom maps were amazing like Hero Blood, etc.

The custom maps were addictive, fun, and just good times.

I already think the 4 pack is enough to warrant MP, but perhaps these add a little more evidence.

"name": "ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_MULTI_LOW"

"name": "ACHIEVEMENT_DEFEATED_CPU_OPPONENTS_MED",

"name": "ACHIEVEMENT_DEFEATED_CPU_OPPONENTS_LOW",

Grief.exe

I already think the 4 pack is enough to warrant MP, but perhaps these add a little more evidence.

"name": "ACHIEVEMENT_GAMES_MULTI_LOW"

"name": "ACHIEVEMENT_DEFEATED_CPU_OPPONENTS_MED",

"name": "ACHIEVEMENT_DEFEATED_CPU_OPPONENTS_LOW",

The MULTI one I can possibly agree with, but the CPU one could very easily be a single player achievement.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
this and Rise of Nations, the clash of RTS titans

I gave the edge to RON, but still, rebuying this shit as soon as possible

The MULTI one I can possibly agree with, but the CPU one could very easily be a single player achievement.

Yeah, I was thinking more that specifying CPU could mean others can be unlocked in MP. Otherwise why have it when there are already other generic victory achievements.

Darryl

Banned
Might this be potentially related to Age of Empires IV for Durango (Kinect) / PC?

the potential for failure is strong with this one.

i don't know, i suppose it's possible but i feel like they tested this market already with Age of Empires: Online and it let them down. not sure enough people at Microsoft realize what a highly valued IP it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom