• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 2 is coming to Steam? [Update: Evidence continues to mount, 4-pack]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

You'd best not be implying that Microsoft ANTS! wasn't the best game ever made.

I never played it, but I did play Sim Ant

My favorite was eventually working my way into the house and infesting it.

I was just a kid though so I really didn't understand the complex mechanics behind it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Installed the demo at least, so I'll check it out when I get home.

As for all the comments I'm seeing "I never played RTS', but played AoE2 for thousands of hours!" or "I was always terrible at RTS games, but I loved this!!" Enlighten me, I am anxious to play this and am excited for a release on Steam, but would love to hear what made it so unique in that case to have such appeal.

Really good balance between resource management / base building / combat, lots of different civilizations each with unique tendencies, good map editor, great online options and community, good and significant story mode campaigns, good AI (although it cheats at the highest difficulty levels, as many RTS games did back then), excellent graphics, and man you can actually learn a little bit about history in a roundabout sort of way.

Also, the expansion The Conquerors is one of the best expansions ever made in terms of what it brings to the base game.

One tip: Villagers are useful. Villager rush is the best economic strategy, and by putting villagers in your town hall you also have a very excellent defensive strategy. Farm out the wazoo and put your farms around your town hall directly.

ShaneB

My fellow Provincial brethren Stumpokapow bringing the knowledge as usual. That is a great summary and pretty much answers my query about what makes this game special. I'm excited to check it out.

Bedlam

I'm so going to buy this.

I never played it, but I did play Sim Ant

My favorite was eventually working my way into the house and infesting it.

I was just a kid though so I really didn't understand the complex mechanics behind it.

Ha, memories! I managed to get into the house as well despite me not really knowing what exactly I was doing. Hell, Sim Farm was more accessible than Sim Ant. That also reminds me how I beat Dune1 on PC despite being completely clueless about what to do in that game. It's still a mystery to me how that game's mechanics worked. I just flew around in the Ornithopter and talked to people.

Grief.exe

Really good balance between resource management / base building / combat, lots of different civilizations each with unique tendencies, good map editor, great online options and community, good and significant story mode campaigns, good AI (although it cheats at the highest difficulty levels, as many RTS games did back then), excellent graphics, and man you can actually learn a little bit about history in a roundabout sort of way.

Also, the expansion The Conquerors is one of the best expansions ever made in terms of what it brings to the base game.

One tip: Villagers are useful. Villager rush is the best economic strategy, and by putting villagers in your town hall you also have a very excellent defensive strategy. Farm out the wazoo and put your farms around your town hall directly.

Thanks for the tips. When I used to play AoE, much like Sim Ant, I had no idea what was going on.

I'm so going to buy this.

Ha, memories! I managed to get into the house as well despite me not really knowing what exactly I was doing. Hell, Sim Farm was more accessible than Sim Ant. That also reminds me how I beat Dune1 on PC despite being completely clueless about what to do in that game. It's still a mystery to me how that game's mechanics worked. I just flew around in the Ornithopter and talked to people.

Cracks me up how ignorant we used to be.

Grief.exe

Do you guys think this will be AoE II + the expansion?

Or will they leave them separated?

What price do you think it will be released at?

Grief.exe

10 bucks?? For an HD re-release? Turn it up.

Try 29.99.

I highly doubt they've done anything to the assets.

I'm sure they just did what Matt Pritchard outlined in the OP. Took the source code, converted the game to D3D, compatibility patch, wide screen support/UI, and, hopefully, some online.

$10 would be comparable to other, similar, releases.

SS2, JSR, etc.

10 bucks?? For an HD re-release? Turn it up.

Try 29.99.

No way, $14.99 maybe, but no higher. And as Grief pointed out, HD just means that it will run on modern machines and at higher resolutions, but the assets will remain the same, similar to Majesty HD, Stronghold HD. It's not a remake, just an update.

Fuck yes. One of the best games ever. Great memories of LAN matches over the university network :)

Online would kill me, I'm sure.

Man, I loved this game. I used to play online with that Microsoft Zone and I was such a noob. I'd just play cheat enabled games, was so much fun.

Hi, the topic title says that this has been confirmed, but I can't seem to find the confirmation in the OP (nor anywhere else on the internet for that matter). Has Microsoft or Valve released an official statement yet?

Grief.exe

Hi, the topic title says that this has been confirmed, but I can't seem to find the confirmation in the OP (nor anywhere else on the internet for that matter). Has Microsoft or Valve released an official statement yet?

Did you click on the links under Update: right at the top of the OP?

Its not an official confirmation yet, but if you read through the OP, there is a fairly logical progression to the conclusion.

Did you click on the links under Update: right at the top of the OP?

Its nit an official confirmation yet, but if you read through the OP, there is a fairly logical progression to the conclusion.

I did, but I didn't understand lol. Went way over my head.
I'm going to assume you guys are all sure though :)

I can't wait for the game to be released! Day 1 buy when it does hit Steam

Nazgul11

I just saw the update...so glad that this will most likely happen.

There are so many good Microsoft published games from back in the Windows gaming heyday. I'm talking pre original Xbox windows gaming, so about the same time that AoE was big...basically, the 90s.

Fury³
Hellbender
Monster Truck Madness 1 & 2
Age of Empires 1 & 2 (obviously)
Motocross Madness 1 & 2
Midtown Madness 1 & 2
MechWarrior 4: Vengeance
Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 1, 2 & 3
Mech Commander 2
Crimson Skies (the original one)

I would absolutely buy any of these games if they were re released for digital download. Almost all of them had online multiplayer or LAN support too.

There are so many good Microsoft published games from back in the Windows gaming heyday. I'm talking pre original Xbox windows gaming, so about the same time that AoE was big...basically, the 90s.

Fury³
Hellbender
Motocross Madness 1 & 2
Midtown Madness 1 & 2
Mech Commander 2

I would absolutely buy any of these games if they were re released for digital download. Almost all of them had online multiplayer or LAN support too.

loved mech commander

Gangxxter

Age II re-released on Steam with Win 7 support? Sounds way too good to be true! I would buy it instantly!

Fury³
Hellbender
Motocross Madness 1 & 2
Midtown Madness 1 & 2
Mech Commander 2

Yeah, games by Microsoft were so awesome in the late 90s, lots of my childhood memories are connected with those games (especially Monster Truck Madness 2, Motocross Madness 2 and of course Age of Empires 2).

Nazgul11

Age II re-released on Steam with Win 7 support? Sounds way too good to be true! I would buy it instantly!

Yeah, games by Microsoft were so awesome in the late 90s, lots of my childhood memories are connected with those games (especially Monster Truck Madness 2, Motocross Madness 2 and of course Age of Empires 2).

Yep.

The "Madness" games were an absolute revelation at LAN parties.

Dawg

So, it's not actually a HD re-release eh? As in, the textures have not been updated, they've only added widescreen support?

Nazgul11

So, it's not actually a HD re-release eh? As in, the textures have not been updated, they've only added widescreen support?

Creating new graphical assets would be too much work, for something that nobody really wants. ;p

All of the updates will most likely be functional updates.

Grief.exe

Well we can only guess right now.

But if you read Matt Pritchard's comments in the OP, it doesn't seem like they would go that route.

He may not have been directly involved in this release, he works at Valve now, but you would think MGS took a similar path.

Dawg

Creating new graphical assets would be too much work, for something that nobody really wants. ;p

All of the updates will most likely be functional updates.

Well we can only guess right now.

But if you read Matt Pritchard's comments in the OP, it doesn't seem like they would go that route.

He may not have been directly involved in this release, he works at Valve now, but you would think MGS took a similar path.

Heh, well it's not like I really mind. AoE2 releasing on steam is good enough for me.

DocSeuss

Fury³
Hellbender
Motocross Madness 1 & 2
Midtown Madness 1 & 2
Mech Commander 2

Don't forget A Bridge Too Far and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

jSE3IQ6.gif
jSE3IQ6.gif
jSE3IQ6.gif

Start the GAAAAAME already

jambo

AoE also has incredible appeal to people who wouldn't normally play RTS games or even any type of games.

I've had a couple of secretaries at work ask me about AoE 2 coming to Steam after hearing about it online.

Gangxxter

I don't think a real HD re-release is needed at all, because the original game looks still awesome today IMHO. There are mods out there to play the original game at higher resolutions than 1280x1024 and it looks very good. No need for real HD assets.

leroidys

Typically don't build ANY farms until the end of feudal age. Depending on the map, you can make it well into castle before you should start getting farms. Farms generate food much more slowly than deer/sheep, and cost wood, which is valuable for early offensive strategies.

Other than that I agree completely :)

HoosTrax

AoE also has incredible appeal to people who wouldn't normally play RTS games or even any type of games.

I've had a couple of secretaries at work ask me about AoE 2 coming to Steam after hearing about it online.
It's weird, but back in high school, I knew this girl. She wasn't really the gaming type, but her parents bought her AOE1 (the Roman one, I think?) and she seemed to enjoy it a lot. This was one of those games that parents thought was pretty fine to give their kids (to be fair, it is slightly educational, like Civ).

Plus, there are some strange metagaming aspects to it. I remember playing it as a medieval city builder type of game for a while, obsessing over my fief layout, placing my buildings and wall just so.

Inukage

Age Of Empire Facebook page updated their coverage and display picture to the old school Age Of Empires logo after 2 years of using the Age Of Empires Online logo.

ShaneDude

Was there any way to bump the pop cap? Cause the only thing more unstoppable than a 180 Pally rush would be 280 Pally rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom