• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 2 is coming to Steam? [Update: Evidence continues to mount, 4-pack]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping that Matt P has gone "radio silent" because there's going to be some good news announced soon, hopefully about a modified release of AoK. Matt P was talking about modifying the graphics engine a bit, for example. He was also the guy who did all the official patches for the game. He was also one of two primary coders for the game.

Britain had the longbows....noob! Byzantine had a cavalry unit.

The Byzantine "cavalry" unit (the Cataphract) was misidentified in the game, though. Anti-cavalry units had no bonus damage against it (spearmen/pikemen/halberdiers, camels, mamelukes). Archers were very effective against it, though.

Nabs

It looks like it's happening (.gif), and probably soon. It was given a name (AOEII HD), and also a 4-pack sub.

injurai

Banned
It looks like it's happening (.gif), and probably soon. It was given a name (AOEII HD), and also a 4-pack sub.

HD!!! Hnnggg!!!

1080p AoEII straight into my veins. That would look so godly.

I would love for Robot Entertainment to somehow be able to make AoM 2. Needs to be kick started.

Grief.exe

Updated OP and title to reflect the new info.

Get them .gifs started. I'm sure the mods will allow us a little celebration.

Grief.exe

If they AoEII is coming, then that means there's hope for Rise of Nations?

There might be hope for some of the other registry leaks as well.

Everything that has popped up on the registry lately has been released, even some of the more unexpected ones like AoE II and Brutal Legend.

I hope to see the Halo series soon!

Azih

Hah, AoE II was the first RTS I ever played online. I picked Britain and the other guy was Turk I believe. I just kept building castles closer and closer to the area of the map he had barricaded himself behind with like three layers of walls.

In terms of horrible noob strategies remember that Castle Creep beats Wall Turtle!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I would not have imagined this to have occurred and it gives me hope that the Rise of Nation games will have their time in the sun next.

Grief.exe

A mod must have updated my title.

I had [UPDATE: Confirmed] before the title of the thread. Now it is [Update: Confirmed] and it is after the title.

Not a good idea to put the update first I guess?

Zia

Age of Empires II is probably my personal favorite RTS of all-time. It's at its best when played casually, in hour(s)-long matches spent building serpentine walls around the map and occasionally summoning fleets of rocket-firing sportscars. No fretting about CPM or micromanagement. Love it.

ShaneB

I'll be going into this game completely fresh. Never played it before, but given its place in RTS history and the amazing feedback from everyone here, I figure it's about time to play it.

They don't need to mess with the gfx; they are timeless.

An online renaissance for this game would bring so much happiness into my life you have no idea.

Do you think there is any chance they would release this without adding online multiplayer support? That would be so, so sad. I'm one one of the people who continued to play the game for years after the zone went down. I went through another spell last year and there were still thousands of people playing. This is a smart move all around.

Varion

Oh god this is real?

So bought. Spent waaaaay too much time on this as a kid. Going to be the first Steam game I actually buy to play.

Revenant

cLQal.gif

Grief.exe

They don't need to mess with the gfx; they are timeless.

An online renaissance for this game would bring so much happiness into my life you have no idea.

Do you think there is any chance they would release this without adding online multiplayer support? That would be so, so sad. I'm one one of the people who continued to play the game for years after the zone went down. I went through another spell last year and there were still thousands of people playing. This is a smart move all around.

Its looking like it might have online multiplayer, still up in the air.

The achievements don't seem to reflect this though.

I can't believe my eyes. I usually suck at RTS's, but Age of Empires 2 was an exception to that (I sucked less at it). I may have played more than a thousand online matches, if I'm not mistaken. Amazing news.

ShaneB

Installed the demo at least, so I'll check it out when I get home.

As for all the comments I'm seeing "I never played RTS', but played AoE2 for thousands of hours!" or "I was always terrible at RTS games, but I loved this!!" Enlighten me, I am anxious to play this and am excited for a release on Steam, but would love to hear what made it so unique in that case to have such appeal.

Grief.exe

This, hard. Same for AoM, if it ever gets a steam release.

Microsoft has a huge back catalog of classic games to release.

I think they are starting to realize they are leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars just sitting on the table by not releasing things like Halo 3, AoE II, AoM, etc.

They even own Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, and Perfect Dark now. I would love to see HD versions of some of these games on PC, though likely they would be on the console.

Microsoft ANTS! all up in this place.

Makes me think of Sim Ant way back in the day. Now that game was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom