• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka |OT| Ezra's out there somewhere, and it's time to bring him home.

ManaByte

Gold Member
5I1JdHj.jpg

Dave Filoni’s direct continuation of Star Wars: Rebels begins August 23rd with a two episode premiere. Even though it’s set five years after Jedi, this is the sequel to Rebels and picks up where the final scene of the series left off. If you haven’t seen Rebels you at least should watch the Season 4 finale to see what happens to Ezra and Thrawn prior to watching Ahsoka. The final scene of Rebels where Sabine and Ahsoka go off together to bring Ezra home is where the series begins.

Salz01

I’m interested in this. But I don’t want to sub to Disney plus anymore. Maybe some day I’ll come across a free trial and just binge it.

Toons

I've made it a point to avoid watching anything about this other than the first trailer.

I've found enjoyment in most of the series they've put out, though their consistency has been wanting. I liked Kenobi more than most here did, and I found BoBF decent but disjointed. Andor was pretty great but very slow moving, and mandalorian has pretty must just been fun the whole time.

This one probably has the most hype going into it, so I'm hoping they can deliver a good experience. Ahsoka as a character started out pretty maligned by the fanbase but over time they acclimated to her and know she's a favorite. I've not LOVED the live action stuff they've done with her, post Mando S2 appearance, but I think Dawson is a great casting and there's potential here. I'm hoping filoni makes a great STORY not just good ahsoka content, because she's had plenty.

Trunx81

I like Felonis work, although he´s also responsible for Boba Fett, so I´m a bit worried how Ahsoka will carry out. Haven´t watched Rebels either (
isn´t this the show that introduced time travel into Star Wars?
) and Thrawn will always be connected to Heir of the empire for me. Will give the series a chance, though. The trailers looked good and after Mando and Andor, I´m ready for more Jedi-related action.

Dural

Loved Rebels, going in to this expecting the worst after Obi Wan and Boba Fett. Hopefully they can deliver.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That title font, with the little "o", makes me think this is "American Horror Story: Killer Alien" or something like that :p

I have rock bottom expectations for this, IMHO the Filoni directed eps of Mando, while ambitious on the page, lack any sense of thrill, urgency, or excitement. He turned Michael fucking Biehn into a wooden actor! Cad Bane wasn't that impressive either. Hopefully he has Faverau secretly helping out.

But willing to be surprised.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That title font, with the little "o", makes me think this is "American Horror Story: Killer Alien" or something like that :p

I have rock bottom expectations for this, IMHO the Filoni directed eps of Mando, while ambitious on the page, lack any sense of thrill, urgency, or excitement. He turned Michael fucking Biehn into a wooden actor! Cad Bane wasn't that impressive either. Hopefully he has Faverau secretly helping out.

But willing to be surprised.
The rule is when Ahsoka is in an episode, Filoni directs it. So unless there’s an episode where she isn’t in the show at all, then it’s all him.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The rule is when Ahsoka is in an episode, Filoni directs it. So unless there’s an episode where she isn’t in the show at all, then it’s all him.
I don't care who gets the credit, I just think he isn't that great of a LA director. So hopefully he has gotten better or he relies on someone who IS a good LA director, like Favreau. Then again, even good directors like Rodriguez turn in crap like BoF, so who knows what happens in produciton.

BlackTron

You’re cool
If he doesn't even want to watch it I totally respect that. Disney's batting average with Star Wars streaming shows has been abysmal, with only early Mando being exemplary and everything else ranging from meh to dumpster fire. I guess Andor was the exception, even that was a different take while Mando had all the classic SW vibes.

After Mando I was ready for Boba Fett and Obi Wan. I should be watching shows based on those characters on repeat for the rest of my life. I never, ever want to go back. They were made that way, to be watched once while tickling memberberries and keep us just hooked enough to stream the next mass produced thing.

Could this be great? Maybe, but seems pretty likely it will just be more of taking an already established and loved concept and Mickey Mouse taking a massive dump on it

Spyxos

Gold Member
Ok, I’m sure there is somewhere a list of bare crucial to the plot Rebel episodes while stripping all the rubbish. Help me GAF!
Since I am in the same boat as you and no one answers. We must probably suffice something like this here.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I really enjoyed Star Wars Rebels. Probably Freddy Prince JR.’s best work. I love looking at Rosario Dawson, so I’ll give this a watch. Ashoka’s fight with Vader was a great moment. Tons of feels.

Batiman

Banned
Dude. Look at what they’ve been putting out. What on earth makes you think this will be any different?

Charlie Brown Football GIF
I have no idea what to expect with this. I’m just laughing at your post telling people to enjoy mediocre shows as if you know it will be one. It might be shit it could be great. No one knows.

Those throwaway one liner posts just come off as attention seeking. Reaction whoring. I mean if your not really interested why make pointless prediction comments?

Andor was great and the threads were filled with nonsense comments like yours before release too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Im gonna rewatch one of these days, I remember reaaaaally loving episode 1 and finding the whole thing ultimately solid but epsiode 3 and 4 was just decent.
It was a two hour movie they added some filler to in order to spread it out as a three hour miniseries. It works best as a binge and it and Andor are my favorite Disney Star Wars things, more than the movies even. If you’re one of those people who scream that George Lucas raped your childhood with the Prequels then it’s not for you because it’s basically an epilogue to Revenge of the Sith.

Toons

It was a two hour movie they added some filler to in order to spread it out as a three hour miniseries. It works best as a binge and it and Andor are my favorite Disney Star Wars things, more than the movies even. If you’re one of those people who scream that George Lucas raped your childhood with the Prequels then it’s not for you because it’s basically an epilogue to Revenge of the Sith.

I dont love all the prequels as movies but I quite like the era and I think the series did some fun homages to the best bits of it

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I had a dream about Andor last night (seriously). Maybe it’s the force reaching out to tell me to give this one a shot…except I never watched Rebels, any good mildly detailed synopses to read? THRAWN is in it???

3 days in and only 34 posts in an OT of new Stars Wars content...oh how the mighty have fallen, sad to see.

the silver lining is that it was a weekend i guess...

Awkward Look GIF by Poehlmann Fitness

edit: and only 19 unique users....

Last edited:

BlackTron

The 2 hours cut was ok-ish, cutting all the chase.

I can see a 2 hour cut being ok-ish. If a fan edit that cuts 80% of the show makes it ok-ish, doesn't say much for it. It had to deliver a really good excuse to make Obi Wan and Vader meet again before the Death Star. Turns out the only excuse was padding the streaming schedule.

I had disagreements with the story of Boba Fett and the design of stuff like the godawful speeder bike gang. But Obi-Wan is where the quality of actually making the show got hard to watch. Some scenes I couldn't take finishing, going back to Episode II sand levels of bad. Like when Obi-Wan decides he has to leave the tiny transport to save everyone, because it could be blown to smithereens at any second by the chasing Star Destroyer. But, because it's his last scene with Leia, he somehow had time for a long heartfelt drawn out goodbye scene where they keep talking despite their pathetic ship still being rocked by turbolaser blasts. How did they know they had time to do all that talking without being blown up by Darth Vader? Storyboards. This show insulted my intelligence on a scene-by-scene basis.

Batiman

Banned
3 days in and only 34 posts in an OT of new Stars Wars content...oh how the mighty have fallen, sad to see.

You can say that for most OTs here…

Except maybe Snow White and Barbie for some reason….

Last edited:

Romulus

I can see a 2 hour cut being ok-ish. If a fan edit that cuts 80% of the show makes it ok-ish, doesn't say much for it. It had to deliver a really good excuse to make Obi Wan and Vader meet again before the Death Star. Turns out the only excuse was padding the streaming schedule.

I had disagreements with the story of Boba Fett and the design of stuff like the godawful speeder bike gang. But Obi-Wan is where the quality of actually making the show got hard to watch. Some scenes I couldn't take finishing, going back to Episode II sand levels of bad. Like when Obi-Wan decides he has to leave the tiny transport to save everyone, because it could be blown to smithereens at any second by the chasing Star Destroyer. But, because it's his last scene with Leia, he somehow had time for a long heartfelt drawn out goodbye scene where they keep talking despite their pathetic ship still being rocked by turbolaser blasts. How did they know they had time to do all that talking without being blown up by Darth Vader? Storyboards. This show insulted my intelligence on a scene-by-scene basis.

They should have scrapped the Obi wan show and paid this guy to make his vision cannon but with Disney money behind the effects.

A New Hope is just awkward considering the Obi Wan show.

Trunx81

I agree with everything you say. The amount of disbelief that this show demanded from it´s viewers is incredible. Comparing it with a well written show like Andor makes it even harder to think that both should play inside the same universe.

BlackTron

They should have scrapped the Obi wan show and paid this guy to make his vision cannon but with Disney money behind the effects.

I mean, wouldn't paying this guy money to make his vision canon just be a different imagining of the Obi-Wan show? And if he did, wouldn't A New Hope still be made awkward by it?

I'm okay with an OWK show, but not with him fighting Darth Vader, unless they have a really outstanding idea to pull it off, and I'm not sure what it would be. A cool fight scene isn't it. We did get an okay fight scene, it's the only part of the show I rewatched (once). But I couldn't even watch the whole episode again, I had to skip ahead, and it's hard to consider it personal canon. None of it makes sense anymore.

Romulus

I mean, wouldn't paying this guy money to make his vision canon just be a different imagining of the Obi-Wan show? And if he did, wouldn't A New Hope still be made awkward by it?

I'm okay with an OWK show, but not with him fighting Darth Vader, unless they have a really outstanding idea to pull it off, and I'm not sure what it would be. A cool fight scene isn't it. We did get an okay fight scene, it's the only part of the show I rewatched (once). But I couldn't even watch the whole episode again, I had to skip ahead, and it's hard to consider it personal canon. None of it makes sense anymore.

I would just like to delete the entire obi show from my memory.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Hilarious how the same people who say George Lucas raped their childhood with new effects in the OT have no problem adding new effects themselves.

DKehoe

This is impressive for a small team on a technical level. But it's far less interesting from a character perspective. I like the original version of the fight because it feels like they're these last remaining relics from a different era and the focus is on the characters and their differing philosophies. Whereas this version is just having them do badass shit for the sake of it. Tonally it feels so disjointed from the original footage.

Romulus

This is impressive for a small team on a technical level. But it's far less interesting from a character perspective. I like the original version of the fight because it feels like they're these last remaining relics from a different era and the focus is on the characters and their differing philosophies. Whereas this version is just having them do badass shit for the sake of it. Tonally it feels so disjointed from the original footage.

They said in A New Hope they didn't have the budget for better sword fighting or else they would have done more. It didn't look like two old men who had lost their speed and agility, it looked like two old men who forgot everything about sword fighting, which is just silly to me. Darth had mauled countless Jedi just a few years before and was faster and a better swordsmans against Luke years later in Return of the Jedi. So, he aged but got better somehow.

To me, the video I posted shows they've aged and are far slower than Return of the Sith, but at least there's something left. Vader is basically nothing but rage for Obi-Wan. It feels like a natural progression to when Vader fought Luke years later. He's progressively getting slower. It's not perfect, but it actually acknowledges the prequels a bit and ties them in with music and mood. So I disagree that its less interesting, it shows built up rage and more connected to Return of the Sith. Still I would have slowed it down a bit and taken out some of the twirling blade moves.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'm super hyped, mainly for Thrawn and Anakin.

Watched that trailer with Hayden's voice 5 or so times now 😍.

I'm sure if it's good people will join the hype train, just like Andor.

Trunx81

They said in A New Hope they didn't have the budget for better sword fighting or else they would have done more. It didn't look like two old men who had lost their speed and agility, it looked like two old men who forgot everything about sword fighting, which is just silly to me. Darth had mauled countless Jedi just a few years before and was faster and a better swordsmans against Luke years later in Return of the Jedi. So, he aged but got better somehow.

To me, the video I posted shows they've aged and are far slower than Return of the Sith, but at least there's something left. Vader is basically nothing but rage for Obi-Wan. It feels like a natural progression to when Vader fought Luke years later. He's progressively getting slower. It's not perfect, but it actually acknowledges the prequels a bit and ties them in with music and mood. So I disagree that its less interesting, it shows built up rage and more connected to Return of the Sith. Still I would have slowed it down a bit and taken out some of the twirling blade moves.
Naaah, man. This is two masters of their craft at its peak. They know that fancy moves won’t buy you anything. Anakin lost at this point two times to ObiWan by showing off. He finally learned his lesson that we saw in the OBW show: don’t get smug. They dance like to dangerous animals around each other. And then Ben does this silly pirouette… and my whole theory dies with him

ManaByte

Gold Member
They said in A New Hope they didn't have the budget for better sword fighting or else they would have done more.
That’s not true. It’s what people who make their own shitty remaster of it say to justify doing what they shit on Lucas for doing with the SEs. The filming and production of ANH is extensively detailed and documented.

For logistical reasons, the fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was filmed first, for three days beginning on May 27, before their actual meeting was shot on June 1. Stunt coordinator Peter Diamond had started thinking about this duel the day he had met the director. “George said, ‘I’ve got these laser swords—I don’t want broadswords and I don’t want fencing. I want it somewhere in between,’ ” Diamond says. “So I had to create a style that was unique.”

He trained Prowse and Guinness in that special style, but the day of the shoot things went a bit slowly. “It’s a natural tendency when you are cutting at someone’s head to bring it down as hard as you can,” Diamond says. “The fight took slightly longer to shoot than anticipated because of that problem … and David Prowse is such a heavy-handed man, every time they touched swords, the blades kept breaking.”

Lucas would’ve re-done it in one of the multiple revisions if the budget myth was true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom