• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka |OT| Ezra's out there somewhere, and it's time to bring him home.

BlackTron

They said in A New Hope they didn't have the budget for better sword fighting or else they would have done more. It didn't look like two old men who had lost their speed and agility, it looked like two old men who forgot everything about sword fighting, which is just silly to me. Darth had mauled countless Jedi just a few years before and was faster and a better swordsmans against Luke years later in Return of the Jedi. So, he aged but got better somehow.

To me, the video I posted shows they've aged and are far slower than Return of the Sith, but at least there's something left. Vader is basically nothing but rage for Obi-Wan. It feels like a natural progression to when Vader fought Luke years later. He's progressively getting slower. It's not perfect, but it actually acknowledges the prequels a bit and ties them in with music and mood. So I disagree that its less interesting, it shows built up rage and more connected to Return of the Sith. Still I would have slowed it down a bit and taken out some of the twirling blade moves.

The video was cool for what it was, but what it wasn't was a good indicator of what ANH should have been. I would have enjoyed it more if so many hadn't hyped it as the second-coming before I watched it; as is, I actually felt cringe. Enough that I declined to watch it again when brought up in this thread.

It would be okay as a fun fan edit "what if" thing just for fanboy laughs, but people take it seriously. I think it points to an overcompensation of "real" SW fans swooning for what they think they want after swimming in Lizzo.

Romulus

The video was cool for what it was, but what it wasn't was a good indicator of what ANH should have been. I would have enjoyed it more if so many hadn't hyped it as the second-coming before I watched it; as is, I actually felt cringe. Enough that I declined to watch it again when brought up in this thread.

It would be okay as a fun fan edit "what if" thing just for fanboy laughs, but people take it seriously. I think it points to an overcompensation of "real" SW fans swooning for what they think they want after swimming in Lizzo.

Never heard this take but yeah it should never have been hyped.

ManaByte

So vader improved his sword fighting going into Empire and then again in RoTJ for some reason.

I'll find the interview were they spoke about the choreography.
Shocking as it might sound based on false narratives being parroted on Fandom Menace YouTube channels, but George was making up the OT as he went along. Hell, Jedi was shaped immensely by his divorce. Had he not gone through the divorce, Boba Fett would’ve never gone into the Sarlacc, Vader would turn to the light side and join Luke, and Jedi would’ve ended with Leia and Han getting married as Luke goes on a search for the real Skywalker sister (Nellith, from the first draft of ESB) in the fourth movie. But since Marcia was divorcing him, Lucas scrapped all that and ended it with Jedi. Leia was never meant to be the sister.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Shocking as it might sound based on false narratives being parroted on Fandom Menace YouTube channels, but George was making up the OT as he went along. Hell, Jedi was shaped immensely by his divorce. Had he not gone through the divorce, Boba Fett would’ve never gone into the Sarlacc, Vader would turn to the light side and join Luke, and Jedi would’ve ended with Leia and Han getting married as Luke goes on a search for the real Skywalker sister (Nellith, from the first draft of ESB) in the fourth movie. But since Marcia was divorcing him, Lucas scrapped all that and ended it with Jedi. Leia was never meant to be the sister.

Star Wars was indeed extremely influenced by George's personal life. From the beginning right up to the end.

Ulysses 31

Hilarious how the same people who say George Lucas raped their childhood with new effects in the OT have no problem adding new effects themselves.
George gave them more ammo by making the original versions less available than the special edition ones.

ManaByte

George gave them more ammo by making the original versions less available than the special edition ones.
So because Lucas didn’t want his unfinished movies out it gives clout chasers the right to add their own effects to the movie when they crucified Lucas for doing that? That makes no sense.

Ulysses 31

So because Lucas didn’t want his unfinished movies out it gives clout chasers the right to add their own effects to the movie when they crucified Lucas for doing that? That makes no sense.
They were finished enough to get released in theatres to great critical acclaim.

Not sure who you're talking about other than mentally challenged people. If George kept the original versions available alongside the special editions I'm sure less people would've been complaining about the special editions with only few die hard purists really raising a stink over it.

Last edited:

Doom85

IIRC, when they wrote the “there is another” line for Yoda in Empire Strikes Back, they had no idea who Yoda was referring to, but it was their way of having a set up for if Mark Hammil ever wanted out, they could bring in a new character as the lead, as the plan at the time was to keep making movies with no particular end in sight. When they decided to make 6 the ending for the time being at least, they quickly resolved it to be Leia was the other Force sensitive one.

I also heard about the more bittersweet ending with Han dying in the final battle (I wonder if the script never bothered to remove Han being worried about not seeing the Falcon again as they’re about to leave for Endor, as this would be logical foreshadowing if he had ended up dying), Leia being forced to surrender her whole life to politics as leader of the new Republic, and Luke walking away from it all on his own like the end of a Western. Can’t remember if this was verified. But I do know Harrison Ford himself also wanted Han to die, but Lucas vetoed it purely because “dead Han doesn’t sell toys”. Yikes. I mean, I think Han dying that soon after the characters went through a lengthy rescue of him in the first act would be silly, but Lucas’ focus on merchandise being the reason is kind of frustrating if the quote is accurate.

ManaByte

I also heard about the more bittersweet ending with Han dying in the final battle (I wonder if the script never bothered to remove Han being worried about not seeing the Falcon again as they’re about to leave for Endor, as this would be logical foreshadowing if he had ended up dying), Leia being forced to surrender her whole life to politics as leader of the new Republic, and Luke walking away from it all on his own like the end of a Western. Can’t remember if this was verified. But I do know Harrison Ford himself also wanted Han to die, but Lucas vetoed it purely because “dead Han doesn’t sell toys”. Yikes. I mean, I think Han dying that soon after the characters went through a lengthy rescue of him in the first act would be silly, but Lucas’ focus on merchandise being the reason is kind of frustrating if the quote is accurate.
If Ford hadn’t come back, Han would’ve died in the carbonite unfreezing.

Han’s line about the Falcon was foreshadowing the original ending where Lando doesn’t make it out of the Death Star in time.

ManaByte

Ray Stevenson’s character is obviously the canon stand-in for Jorus C'baoth. They’ll obviously need to recast if the character survives the two seasons of the show and has a part in the Heir to Empire movie.

Ar¢tos

I can't get into this, I'm sorry.
All i see is a human with a latex split bag on its head and some cheap basic face paint, it's a complete immersion killer.
It's like they ran out of creativity when making the character. Disney as more than enough money to make a proper alien character.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Filoni basically used the first two hours to show how Ahsoka got to that final shot in Rebels. The end of the second episode is a live action recreation of the final scene in Rebels.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This show, so far, is pretty good! It takes it's time... doesn't rush... Nothing weird or stupid... No plot holes... Let's see if they can keep this up!

Hopefully they bring back Zeb after teasing him in The Mandalorian.

Pilgrimzero

Loved it!

Questions:

If they leave the galaxy how will they ever get to Tattooine?

I thought Ezra and Thrawn vanished randomly via Space Whales. How does an ancient map locate them?

ManaByte

I thought Ezra and Thrawn vanished randomly via Space Whales. How does an ancient map locate them?
The space whales jumped to hyperspace (Grogu saw one in Mando).They showed one at that planet that leads to the other galaxy. Probably some kind of migration route for them.

Minsc

Gold Member
All i see is a human with a latex split bag on its head and some cheap basic face paint, it's a complete immersion killer.
It's like they ran out of creativity when making the character. Disney as more than enough money to make a proper alien character.

Have you seen Rebels? It's really good and this is the continuation of that, so there's the draw. I'm not sure who you're referring too with the bags on their heads, but I'm not aware of any new species at least from the trailers which Disney would have created.

Half my hype for this is from watching Rebels, half is any Bo-Katan scenes (her episode in Mandalorian was one of my favs), along with Thrawn (being unknown but a great villian from back to TIE-Fighter on PC days), and the rest of the cast which hasn't hit the big screen yet in live action. Ahsoka I'm not fully sold on, haven't enjoyed her episodes in the live action episodes as in Rebels, but hopefully that changes here.

Pilgrimzero

Have you seen Rebels? It's really good and this is the continuation of that, so there's the draw. I'm not sure who you're referring too with the bags on their heads, but I'm not aware of any new species at least from the trailers which Disney would have created.

Half my hype for this is from watching Rebels, half is any Bo-Katan scenes (her episode in Mandalorian was one of my favs), along with Thrawn (being unknown but a great villian from back to TIE-Fighter on PC days), and the rest of the cast which hasn't hit the big screen yet in live action. Ahsoka I'm not fully sold on, haven't enjoyed her episodes in the live action episodes as in Rebels, but hopefully that changes here.

I'm sorry, are you saying Thrawn is a villain from the TIE-Fighter games? Like as in the Heir to the Empire novel trilogy doesn't exist? Or am I misunderstanding?

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm sorry, are you saying Thrawn is a villain from the TIE-Fighter games? Like as in the Heir to the Empire novel trilogy doesn't exist? Or am I misunderstanding?

No, just saying that I knew him from the TIE-Fighter games in the 90s, it makes sense they didn't create him in those games though! By being an unknown I mean I don't know what I think of his actor/character in a live action show yet, where the others I've seen and like/dislike (a little).

Liljagare

Is this going to be about Ahsoka, or are they going to focus on the two angst filled teen apprentices? Did not like the start. :/

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

giphy.gif

In Disney Star Wars who can survive a lightsabre stab while Qui-Gon Jinn couldn't. :messenger_winking_tongue:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Well......
So Wish.com Miley Cirus stabs the purple red head direct through the stomach with a saber at the end of episode 1 and she just magically survives when Qui Gon could not :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm really not sure what to think of this going forward but ill watch the next one and see how i feel but so far, i have very mixed feelings about this series

ManaByte

Well......
So Wish.com Miley Cirus stabs the purple red head direct through the stomach with a saber at the end of episode 1 and she just magically survives when Qui Gon could not :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm really not sure what to think of this going forward but ill watch the next one and see how i feel but so far, i have very mixed feelings about this series
Nearly 40 year difference in medical technology.

It works in a cartoon. Live action, not so much.

Roufianos

I thought it was a super strong opening though Sabine is pretty annoying.

Also, I honestly can't believe we're repeating people getting stabbed in the gut and living, along with these random maps to hidden people.

Wonder if the US really found Bin Laden or a magical map led them there.

Pantz

It's alright so far.
The cartoon vibes and a more serious live action take are clashing a bit.

I can ignore most of the stuff that's annoying to me though, because the bad guys are so cool.
I'm rooting for the Sith this time!
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

7/10

The dialogue and characters don't serve the pacing very well - they're boring and don't say anything interesting. Unless you're familiar with them from Rebels or other media, I don't think these two episodes will make you care about anyone or anything going on. If I went in blind, this would likely be a 5/10 start.

The production values are decent - not even close to Andor, but good enough. I'd be fine if this was the level of quality consistently in the D+ shows. A few moments where things look "off", but nothing that will make you avert your eyes like Book of Boba Fett.

The music is an absolute standout - what a pleasant surprise. I genuinely took notice of it several times, it felt like it could've been slotted right into a prequel soundtrack. I don't know if it's just been carried over from Rebels or not but I liked it. Not the "rock" song though, but that's whatever.

I like the villains. Obviously it's only two episodes, but I'm more interested in their plot than the rest of the show.

Overall, it was enjoyable - if you're familiar with Rebels. If not, just wait until more episodes come out and see if it shit's the bed or improves.

ManaByte

It's alright so far.
The cartoon vibes and a more serious live action take are clashing a bit.

I can ignore most of the stuff that's annoying to me though, because the bad guys are so cool.
I'm rooting for the Sith this time!
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars
Don’t think they’re Sith. Their henchman has an old Inquisitor’s saber, but the two have orange sabers and the Padawan’s outfit is similar to High Republic Jedi. Ashoka’s High Republic droid said the guy vanished after the Clone Wars, so he’s probably some rouge Jedi following 200 year old ideas.

Tieno

I'm intrigued by them going to a different galaxy, it's a nice hook, makes the word instantly feel much bigger. I also like the way Ahsoka, Sabine and the green lady worked together to come to a solution. I'm

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So there's another galaxy being introduced here? Curious how different that's going to be to the Star Wars galaxy?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
giphy.gif

In Disney Star Wars who can survive a lightsabre stab while Qui-Gon Jinn couldn't. :messenger_winking_tongue:
The list grows and grows… lightsaber stabbing date now super easy to survive, barely an inconvenience :LOL: … oh Disney, cue the explanation of how this is just ok because reasons lol…

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm kinda done with Disney Star Wars. I gave up on watching that stuff after Kenobi. I only tried giving Andor a shot because my brother kept saying that it's good and I should watch it but then I gave up a couple of episodes in because it was really boring.

I can't really find any motivation to give this a go either, especially since I'd have to catch up on some other show first.

Roufianos

I'm kinda done with Disney Star Wars. I gave up on watching that stuff after Kenobi. I only tried giving Andor a shot because my brother kept saying that it's good and I should watch it but then I gave up a couple of episodes in because it was really boring.

I can't really find any motivation to give this a go either, especially since I'd have to catch up on some other show first.
Andor is a masterpiece, it's just really slow to get going. If you asked me two episodes in, I'd have said it was donkey shit.

Top Bottom