• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka |OT| Ezra's out there somewhere, and it's time to bring him home.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The list grows and grows… light savers stabbing date now super easy to survive, barely an inconvenience :LOL: … oh Disney, cue the explanation of how this is just ok because reasons lol…

GAF's Pleasant Genius​

Anyways....i'm not a fan of wish.com Miley Cirus and how she just stands around half the time glaring at people and the camera like she's stoned. I hope she gets offed quick in her obvious to come revenge battle with Sabine.

Last edited:

Dural

Loved the first two episodes! Seeing Rebels in live action was fantastic, really liking the casting of the characters as well. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Trunx81

Two things I noticed:
1. The “puzzle” to open the map could be solved by anyone. A droid would have just tried the limited amount of possibilities
2. There are, right now, only female protagonists, but no one is bitching about that. A good screenplay and story can make this possible, Disney, take notes!

Toons

Enjoyed these first episodes, especially the second one.

Filoni still has a lot to learn when it comes to shooting live action and live action dialogue but he lands more than he misses.

I dig zen ahsoka here, mature and subtle. She only spoke when she had to, samurai jack style.

Love how you csn still understand exactly what chopper is saying. Hera was fine but hard to replace her voice from the cartoon. Sabine was solid, just like her character was before and the callback shots were very cool, especially at the end of epsidoe 2.

Roufianos

Two things I noticed:
1. The “puzzle” to open the map could be solved by anyone. A droid would have just tried the limited amount of possibilities
2. There are, right now, only female protagonists, but no one is bitching about that. A good screenplay and story can make this possible, Disney, take notes!
Seems like all the puzzle needed was 10 mins of trying the different possibilities? Really stupid.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

GAF's Pleasant Genius​

Anyways....i'm not a fan of wish.com Miley Cirus and how she just stands around half the time glaring at people and the camera like she's stoned. I hope she gets offed quick in her obvious to come revenge battle with Sabine.
😂, I made a typo big whoop haha.

Ballthyrm

Is this going to be about Ahsoka, or are they going to focus on the two angst filled teen apprentices? Did not like the start. :/

I don't think Sabine will be like that anymore as she getting over it is the first 2 episodes.
Can't say for the other character though.

As for Ashoka, they didn't do her character any good. she feels like yet another old boring jedi master that doesn't communicate and doesn't tell how they feel.
It going to the opposite of what Ashoka is about as she rejected the Jedi principles for some of these reason and she feel dead inside which is the opposite of the animation version.
I don't know if it is the wooden acting from Rosario Dawson but I'm already missing Ashley Ekstein.

People who didn't watch the animated shows don't know they are looking at one of the best star wars characters, and if theses two episode are all they have to go for, can't blame them.

ManaByte

Filoni still has a lot to learn when it comes to shooting live action and live action dialogue but he lands more than he misses.
Curious if George advised him to take it slow before going into movies. Seeing as George taught him everything he knew he probably told him to practice with animation, then some episodic TV, and then movies. Lucas went straight to directing movies when even his best friend Spielberg did TV first.

Toons

Curious if George advised him to take it slow before going into movies. Seeing as George taught him everything he knew he probably told him to practice with animation, then some episodic TV, and then movies. Lucas went straight to directing movies when even his best friend Spielberg did TV first.
Filoni says he spent a lot of time on set while TLJ was shooting to pick up some things idk if he's gotten official training outside of that tho

jason10mm

Gold Member
Filoni says he spent a lot of time on set while TLJ was shooting to pick up some things idk if he's gotten official training outside of that tho
I would assume Filoni is ACES with using storyboards to lay out action, as that's basically rough sketch animation. Establishing visuals, sweeping camera angles, and integrating the wackier side of Star Wars should be easy for him. What I want him to do is spend time with directors getting EMOTIONAL performances out of actors, especially they are acting against ping pong balls on sticks and pretty lightshow green screens. That's what sunk Lucas with the prequels IMHO, and the early Filoni directed eps of Mando had the same issue. Rosario in particular seemed VERY stiff and wooden in all that make-up, probably because she can't move her head easily without falling over, so hopefully for this show she has been taught to work around that.

Seems like all the puzzle needed was 10 mins of trying the different possibilities? Really stupid.
They could've remedied this by simply having her use her minor Force powers to manipulate it. It would've established how underdeveloped she is too for the audience, struggling to even manipulate a Rubics cube.

Spyxos

I would have expected them to at least go into some of the back story. So you are just thrown into the 5 season Rebels/Ahsoka without much explanation. The 2 dark Jedi are the most interesting for me so far. The rest could be better. A lot of the costumes just look goofy. I'm not sure if I'll keep watching it.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm actually kinda glad they don't spend all their time recapping past events - can a character really be covered in a few minutes in a way that does justice to events that occurred from being the main character for 50+ episodes of a show gives? Everyone should just watch Clone Wars / Rebels if you want to see good Star Wars shows anyway, then you'll likely appreciate this more too!

Looking forward to starting this show this weekend, no way I end up disliking it though, it's going to be such a fun trip down memory lane. Only cartoon to live action TV series I'm looking forward to more which will probably suck horribly, is Avatar the Last Airbender. That's going to be another one people should just fucking watch the original with, being what, constantly listed as probably one of the top 3 animated shows TV series of all time. Though that's likely a re-telling not a direct continuation, but still, it's an awesome show!

Anyone got some insight on why the sith girl pulled the lightsaber out of her enemy instead of flicking her wrist and cutting in half/guaranteed kill her opponent?! Would’ve taken 1 extra second to secure the fatality. Seems like plot armor or bad writing.

Anyone got some insight on why the sith girl pulled the lightsaber out of her enemy instead of flicking her wrist and cutting in half/guaranteed kill her opponent?! Would’ve taken 1 extra second to secure the fatality. Seems like plot armor or bad writing.
It's possible she didn't want to kill her.

Baylon expressed trepidation about killing Ahsoka, "there are so few Jedi left". Maybe he passed that same philosophy down to his apprentice? If I'm being charitable, we may find this out in later episodes.

But yeah, more than likely it's just Star Wars continuing it's shitty tropes that are driving the franchise into the gutter.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Baylon expressed trepidation about killing Ahsoka, "there are so few Jedi left". Maybe he passed that same philosophy down to his apprentice? If I'm being charitable, we may find this out in later episodes.

But yeah, more than likely it's just Star Wars continuing it's shitty tropes that are driving the franchise into the gutter.

I'm gonna go easy on you and only give you the Qui-Gon treatment today.

Minsc

Gold Member
If lightsabers are even half as dangerous as to be believed, in no way is something like this not complete child endangerment and worthy of locking up the entire jedi council and organization for life:

exGmu4O.png

Even if they're force sensitive, how is that any different than giving a group of 5 year olds loaded guns and blind folding them and having them fire at moving targets in all directions.

They're not even far enough away they wouldn't kill each other with a half extended swing. So clearly light sabers are not all equal in terms of damage I suppose.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Qui-Gon's gut stab was dead center and through the spine as well ... he died from that.

Sabine's was off to the side... Same as Hollywood's other "off to the side gunshots means they'll live"...

It made sense to me as I watched it.

BlackTron

We're star wars fans, to be a star wars fan and interact with the fanbase at all is a clear sign of mental illness anyway.

But at least I can own it.

Nerf herder.

Sorry my personal canon is the "split fanbase" timeline. If being a Star Wars "fan" means I either like and accept all of it, or none of it. Then I need to get the hell out.

I was willing to come back when things got good (Mando). I'm falling off again now that they're dire.

Imagine if you had to like every game sequel or else you "weren't a true fan". Keep making up the rules as you go sir.

Batiman

Banned
Sorry my personal canon is the "split fanbase" timeline. If being a Star Wars "fan" means I either like and accept all of it, or none of it. Then I need to get the hell out.

I was willing to come back when things got good (Mando). I'm falling off again now that they're dire.

Imagine if you had to like every game sequel or else you "weren't a true fan". Keep making up the rules as you go sir.
You can be a fan of the Star Wars world, like some content and dislike others. You don’t exactly have to like or hate all of what’s put out.

BlackTron

You can be a fan of the Star Wars world, like some content and dislike others. You don’t exactly have to like or hate all of what’s put out.

If lightsabers are even half as dangerous as to be believed, in no way is something like this not complete child endangerment and worthy of locking up the entire jedi council and organization for life:

exGmu4O.png

Even if they're force sensitive, how is that any different than giving a group of 5 year olds loaded guns and blind folding them and having them fire at moving targets in all directions.

They're not even far enough away they wouldn't kill each other with a half extended swing. So clearly light sabers are not all equal in terms of damage I suppose.

That's nothing compared to Jedi Council child endangerment in the prequels.

R8AoYUk.jpg

Last edited:
Seen the first two episodes and, overall, it seems like a 6/10. There are some nice visuals throughout, particularly whenever a lightsaber duel is involved, but there are a host of issues I take with the show, some of which are reflective of stylistic tastes in modern Disney productions I just am not a fan of.

-Questionable lightsaber fight choreography​
-Not enough of a "lived in" feel (even Sabine's junker of a home looks as "neatly" messy as possible)​
-Somewhat cheap cosmetic effects on Ahsoka and Hera's tentacles (they look and bend like styrofoam)​
-Minimal dialog; not bad in and of itself but there is little in visual storytelling to compensate, because while​
there are nice visuals, a lot of that is at the cost of "static" spaces where not a lot is occurring within them​
with the environments themselves​
-Most of the dialog is pretty banal and feels uncreative; lots of characters just stating plaining things, or​
giving dry exposition that you won't know much about unless you've seen Clone Wars & Rebels (I've​
watched neither).​
-Too much McGuffin Syndrome (orb with a map everyone wants, Thrawn as a baddie at a location everyone​
wants to go to)​
-Certain scenes just "feeling" like they're present to fill time, and generic enough to where you could swap​
things around for a commercial product placement (the scene introducing Sabine is 100% this, you can​
swap out her bike for a Yamaha or Kawasaki, trim it to 30 seconds, and have a new motorcycle commercial​
with Star Wars tie-in). This is something I feel has affected a lot of Disney/Marvel content these days, it​
can probably be blamed on over-sanitization to try making these works as mainstream as possible. But​
it makes the storytelling feel too 'clean' and pristine in approach, and can make things feel formulaic.​
-Lightsabers don't mean shit in this universe anymore. Everyone but Qui-Gon can come back from a​
stab wound. Guess he was just born the wrong gender at the wrong time.​
So overall, it's a 6/10 for me. I'm hoping the show improves with future episodes, but I shouldn't feel like I "need" to watch Clone Wars and Rebels in order to thoroughly enjoy Ahsoka. It's neat for hardcore fans to get extra mileage out of the series, but if this show is supposed to also be bringing in new fans, new fans shouldn't feel it's required to have watched multiple seasons of previous Star Wars content (in this case, animated content) just to get baseline grounding and enjoyment out f the show.

This is a strong possibility. Her and Baylon seem to be somewhere in the grey area; if he feels it'd be a shame to kill a Jedi like Ahsoka, them I'm sure his Padawan of an apprentice would feel similar towards Ahsoka's Padawan.

Hence the stab intentionally being one to not be a critical blow. The problem is the show doesn't spend enough time communicating these intentions to a degree that would be beneficial, and leaves the audience to speculate more than a bit too much on these grounds.

It's not that it has to spell these things out to the audience, but it would've been nice, for example, if Shin Hati had said a line to him prior to them meeting with Morgan at the end of Episode 2, that was similar to the line he says to her in that very episode. Or, to have a shot with her after he says that line to Morgan, showing her reflecting on that quote. Maybe she reaches to touch herself in the spot where she stabbed Sabine, for example.

Little things like that can go a long way to both build up characterization and better communicate to the audience the intents of prior actions that may've been intentionally ambiguous, but to express those intents in ways that still allow for some state of ambiguity (and later, can be referenced as evidence when the intent is explicitly stated at a future point in the story).

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I watched the first episode and I thought the opening sequence with the sith was fun.

Self destruct robots that take just long enough to blow up is dumb. And saber through the chest should be a death sentence so I assume Sabine is dead.

BlackTron

So a lightsaber to the gut is the Star Wars version of a gunshot to the shoulder?

Or maybe new star wars writers are just YUGE fans of Monty python?

When they set out to make a parody, it would have been too obvious to borrow from Spaceballs. Monty Python, on the other hand? Goldmine.

Qui-Gon's gut stab was dead center and through the spine as well ... he died from that.

Sabine's was off to the side... Same as Hollywood's other "off to the side gunshots means they'll live"...

It made sense to me as I watched it.

Anatomy-of-the-Organs-Quick-Study-Academic-1.jpg

So you pictured this when watching the scene?

And a single bullet and light sabers aren’t remotely the same when it comes to the damage they can do.

Let’s get real here - it’s crap writing.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
When they announced this series, I was sort of excited because it looked like it was going to be a lot of fun and maybe included some weirdness to it. One thing Star Wars lacks is weirdness which they had a bit of in the expanded legacy universe.

I want to see stuff like different dimensions or really bizarre aliens with strange powers. It doesn't have to be like Star Trek but it would be nice for a galaxy to have some horrifying or strange things.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Anatomy-of-the-Organs-Quick-Study-Academic-1.jpg

So you pictured this when watching the scene?

And a single bullet and light sabers aren’t remotely the same when it comes to the damage they can do.

Let’s get real here - it’s crap writing.

Did I say anything about reality? I said *according to movies* .... Just like a knife stab to the side isn't fatal in movies either. I'm going by movie/TV logic.

Top Bottom