• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka |OT| Ezra's out there somewhere, and it's time to bring him home.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Not unprecedented. It's something that happened in the Clone Wars or Rebels TV show.
it is so weird that we need to explain these things to be acceptable, that was a cool scene it is clear that the black magic the red mothers use can create some sinister stuff so why not Zombie Stormtroopers?

I really enjoyed this series, it is too bad Ray Stevenson passed away his character could become very interesting if he combines the force and black magic together now he is on that planet, maybe Shin Hati will do that?

Toons

I would be happy if we got genuinely new characters with new stories, but that’s not what’s going on here. Ahsoka isn’t really a ‘new’ character, and everything she does is still connected to the story of the movies: there are still Stromtroopers around, Luke and Leia are still alive and get mentioned, Anakin appears as a force ghost etc; this show (like all other Star Wars shows) is filled with ‘member berries’ left and right. And the show is technically a prequel, since it takes place prior to the sequel trilogy, which means the stakes can never be as high as in a genuine new story.

If they wanted to tell new stories, they should‘ve gone all the way: have the story take place centuries after the movies, with entirely new characters, new antagonists and new factions. Instead these shows all still take place in between the movies, and we’re still seeing people fighting Stromtroopers and Imperials – except without showing us the characters from that time period that people actually care about: Luke, Leia, Han etc.

....they are doing that also. But this show is about ahsoka. Ahsoka is unconnected to the sequel trilogy and is set up to establish the foundation of a film with thrawn as the primary villain.

I dont understand how stormtroopers merely appearing in something is worthy if a complaint either. This shoe takes place in a similar time period to where stormtroopers would've been around in some capacity, I mesn... what does that complaint even accomplish? Its like complaining that someone mentions the force.

There are various examples of staples in the universe and bad guys having faceless henchmen is one of them for the most part. Be they stormtroopers or something else(and this show had little to no stormtroopers until halfway through the season)

RAÏSanÏa

This show leaned heavily into the horror genre. When it opened with alliance murders for the escape of Morgan Elsbeth(a fantastic straightforward cliche horror name for Witch Queen Vampire) after that ominous red crawl it was encouraging. That the show steadily escalated those elements was rewarding with that finale. As a kid it was the spooky shows that I liked. ESB is often cited as a fav for its darker story. Back to Ahsoka, in the end it was good to see that Morgan's escape was resolved while opening up new threads. When the witches said old magick while introducing terrifying new ways of using the force to live action was a great scene. In and out of story, the metaphoric frozen shadows that kept reflecting the same dark devices finally cracked, shattered and melted to form into new, diverse things and announced from the pinnacle in the show. The conjuring of the Blade of Talzin in shadow and green flame was a nice effect and something different than telekinesis to get a sabre, while expanding force lore and story in live shows. And it's not only the terror that's getting brought over from horror either, there's also more of a steady hum of sexiness.

Excellent work by Rosario Dawson for filling the role so naturally that even the special effects involving her character seem natural.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I think people who see a "chaotic" sword fight and think that looks "realistic" and not choreographed don't actually know what choreography is. Especially when the fights they like involve blind turns and ducks and blocks. A real sword fight isn't like that. A real sword fight is what Ahsoka and Baylan were doing. The deliberate stances, the deliberate pacing, the intentional thrusts and parries. That was SAMURAI sword fighting choreography.

The fight between Morgan and Ahsoka, that was kung fu/WuShu/Shaolin choreography.

The sword fighting in the first clip is "trick fighting" choreography. It's designed to look flashy, not logical or realistic. There's no POWER behind trick fighting choreography...

But we all like what we like... I just REALLY liked the Shaolin type choreography in the finale.

Billbofet

I think people who see a "chaotic" sword fight and think that looks "realistic" and not choreographed don't actually know what choreography is. Especially when the fights they like involve blind turns and ducks and blocks. A real sword fight isn't like that. A real sword fight is what Ahsoka and Baylan were doing. The deliberate stances, the deliberate pacing, the intentional thrusts and parries. That was SAMURAI sword fighting choreography.

The fight between Morgan and Ahsoka, that was kung fu/WuShu/Shaolin choreography.

The sword fighting in the first clip is "trick fighting" choreography. It's designed to look flashy, not logical or realistic. There's no POWER behind trick fighting choreography...

But we all like what we like... I just REALLY liked the Shaolin type choreography in the finale.
I think the Ahsoka fight looks overly choreographed like they are counting steps - way too rehearsed.
Plus, is there really a style that calls for multiple spinning around for no reason moves?
Looks boring, but like you said, we all like what we like. This fights a big snoozer for me.

Doczu

Just finished it.

I'd say it was mediocre. Thrawn was more of a threat in Rebels than here and Disney's HttE will have one big obstacle to overcome: it will have to lead up to the ST.

Did anyone at Disney think this through? Did Filoni sit down on his chair behind his desk, take off his stupid cowboy hat and think for a moment how retarded the timeline starts to look?

How can we think of Thrawn as a threat if we know he is destined to loose?

How could the New Republic leave any remaining Imperial forces alone after they (eventually) defeated Thrawn thus leading to (how??) the creation of the First Order?

Did the Imperial remnants split into two factions where one supported Thrawn and the other one said fuck you Blue Musk (even though he was the best bet to restore the Empire)?

Where the fuck does Ezra go after HttE? Back to Sabine and Ahsoka in a galaxy far, far away?

The more i think about it, the less sense it makes.

I think i'm going to dust off my Thrawn trilogy books.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think an actual lightsaber battle between to force users would boil down to 2 options.

A. 1 second for a stoke...done. classic samurai showdown style.

B. Lots of movement, cutting through scenery, burns and singeing from near misses, mostly lunges and parrys, definitely NO "locked sabers together and scowl" stuff as that makes no sense with these weapons.

Obviously "fighting while storytelling" requires a certain amount of artifice and staged moments, but let's not kid ourselves this is realistic.

And you can't tell me that mooks going after a jedi A SECOND TIME haven't figured out to bring shotguns, area effect weapons, and "let's all shoot her at once" tactics.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That doesn't make any sense. Lightsabers are lightweight and not even physical objects past the hilt. They're not lumbering weapons.

True. They're lightweight but the momentum of the strikes carries power as a law of physics ... Just like the saber fights we've seen in the OT. Folks in this thread have complained that there's no power in the saber fights and that it, to them, looks like play fighting.

I'm saying that's what trick fighting is... It doesn't convey power because it's not about power .. it's about cool factor.

Trunx81

The problem with sword fights in media is that they always try to hit the other sword - not the person.

I can live with this on Star Wars, though, as by definition, the force gives them the power of precognition, knowing where the next blow will land.

jason10mm

Gold Member
True. They're lightweight but the momentum of the strikes carries power as a law of physics ... Just like the saber fights we've seen in the OT. Folks in this thread have complained that there's no power in the saber fights and that it, to them, looks like play fighting.

I'm saying that's what trick fighting is... It doesn't convey power because it's not about power .. it's about cool factor.
Didn't Lucas tell the OG cast to act as if a saber weighed a lot? They certainly swing them more like sledgehammers in the first few films. Clearly they can't weigh that much if they can be casually slung from a belt. I've also heard the "lore" is that the saber, when active, has a gyroscopic twisting buzzing effect, making it hard to wield without the force. I could buy this, though the films I think show guys like Han using them with little concern at times.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Didn't Lucas tell the OG cast to act as if a saber weighed a lot? They certainly swing them more like sledgehammers in the first few films. Clearly they can't weigh that much if they can be casually slung from a belt. I've also heard the "lore" is that the saber, when active, has a gyroscopic twisting buzzing effect, making it hard to wield without the force. I could buy this, though the films I think show guys like Han using them with little concern at times.

That's what I remember too.

LordOfChaos

Sad about Ray. They were setting him up for some sort of Mortis level plot or something. He never got to see how much fans love him in this role, at least not fully after release.

The fights were great. This is why you cast a professional, legend among stunt-women, and Bruce Lee's god-daughter, as Morgan Elspeth.

My main critique was like another past episode, there seemed like surprisingly little emotional punch after they lost Ezra so young and got him back after a decade lost, may have thought him dead at times. No run and hug from anyone. The scene got almost awkward with the staring as if they forgot to cut it a few seconds earlier. Also y no Kanan force ghost, as much as I say force ghosts are getting overused, if they were going for one anyway.

Good finale 8.4/10

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ugh, that finale. There is just no suspense or tension.

"Oh shit, we just got stranded on a hell planet MILLIONS of light years from home!"

"Hush now, it's where we need to be."

Or Thrawns TOTALLY ineffective planning.

"Send just 2 of my dozens of TIE fighters"

"Uh, sir, they were destroyed."

"All according to plan. Now prepare for ground assault."

"Don't wanna send a few more? Uh, ok sir. Hey they are riding on wargs."

"All according to keikaku. Fire turbolasers but spare the giant ramp to out FLOATING SPACE SHIP."

"Nope, we hit nuthin', sir."

"Send in my soldiers to get slaughtered, then reanimated into slower versions of things that didn't work the first time!"

"Well, the slaughtered part worked out..."

"You girl, take that sword we've just been introduced to, never seen it in use, and you have had no build-up as a fighter, so stop 1 of the 3 people coming here!"

"Surprise boss, that didn't work."

"Ahh, all my plans are developing nicely! Now lets take off and fly just out of jumping range."

"They jumped sir."

"Now target our old empty base, but be careful to not shoot their ship flying in as I assumed it had been destroyed earlier."

"Nope, we just got our guys, but they were zombies I guess. And that lady with the green sword? Turns out she was less effective than all the other folks we've sent."

"EXCELLENT! Now let me taunt them as we run away and hope they can't hitch a ride on the SAME DAMN WHALES THAT BROUGHT THEM HERE! Defintely don't drop mines or anything, they didn't work before!"

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
J jason10mm

"You girl, take that sword we've just been introduced to, never seen it in use, and you have had no build-up as a fighter, so stop 1 of the 3 people coming here!"

Except she WAS introduced as a capable fighter in Mando Season 2 and the sword was introduced in Rebels. And like I and LordOfChaos LordOfChaos have been saying... She's the goddaughter of Bruce Lee and a legendary stunt woman.

Also remember that Thrawn's forces had been greatly reduced... He doesn't have the backing of the Empire in that galaxy... And they'd all been trying to survive for a decade alone. That's why their suits looked so busted up and held together with string.

jason10mm

Gold Member
J jason10mm

Except she WAS introduced as a capable fighter in Mando Season 2 and the sword was introduced in Rebels. And like I and LordOfChaos LordOfChaos have been saying... She's the goddaughter of Bruce Lee and a legendary stunt woman.

Also remember that Thrawn's forces had been greatly reduced... He doesn't have the backing of the Empire in that galaxy... And they'd all been trying to survive for a decade alone. That's why their suits looked so busted up and held together with string.
The history of the actor has little bearing with how she was set up WITHIN the show. I'd have to go back and watch whatever ep she was in in Mando S2 (was she the lady Ahsoka fights and gets the beskar spear from?) and if that green sword was ever shown in Rebels, I've long forgotten.

Basic storytelling suggests she get a bit of reintroduction, and the sword ESPECIALLY should, as it is named and everything. Yet she fights....and loses...again?

Regardless of Thrawns forces, he CLEARLY has a dozen or more TIEs in his hangar, including TIE bombers. Seems prudent to dispatch a few after the first patrol was destroyed. Then to see the turbolasers unable to shoot 2 running wolves, then to see yet ANOTHER "crack" unit get whuped, TWICE, all when he could have just lifted off 30 minutes earlier and hung out 500 meters up if he somehow had to stay in atmo.

Anyway, it's just not a great way to build up your "Grand Admiral Thrawn" have having him BARELY escape IN A STAR DESTROYER! He is running from 1 jedi, a sorta jedi, and a Padawan! And THIS GUY is the big bad? Plus zoned out Ahsoka doesn't even seem to really care if he leaves or not, or if she is stuck on the planet Ezra had a decade to explore. No rage, no grief, no frustration, just a shrug of the shoulders, another smug smile and a few meaningless words, and credits. Even Sabine, someone you'd expect a bit of emotion from, just kinda rolls with it, maybe she has a thing for snail people?

My point is Filoni CAN'T LET HIS HEROES LOSE. At best they get a pyrrhic victory because now they just so happen to be stuck on a planet probably loaded with ancient tech nobody else seems to be curious about (other than Baylan and we won't see him again :(

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I've watched the OT dozens of times. I've watched the PT a few times. Mando S1 twice. But all this new stuff just doesn't really have any energy or excitement, it's just constant "lets build towards...." without paying attention to the here and now. Andor is about all I care about now.

taizuke

Because he didn’t know how to become one. Qui-Gon figured it out but he was basically an outcast from the council due to his beliefs. He’s the one who taught Yoda and Obi-Wan how to do it.

Freddy Prince Jr. (the voice of Kanan) also has been very vocal about not returning to the character in any capacity so as not to undermine the ending of his character. To him, the character he played had a great story and a conclusion, and every time he's asked to come back, he feels it diminishes that. He has no interest in playing a new/different version of Kanan.

He said this prior to rumors of him being in Ahsoka.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Freddy Prince Jr. (the voice of Kanan) also has been very vocal about not returning to the character in any capacity so as not to undermine the ending of his character. To him, the character he played had a great story and a conclusion, and every time he's asked to come back, he feels it diminishes that. He has no interest in playing a new/different version of Kanan.

He said this prior to rumors of him being in Ahsoka.
He came back in TROS.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The history of the actor has little bearing with how she was set up WITHIN the show. I'd have to go back and watch whatever ep she was in in Mando S2 (was she the lady Ahsoka fights and gets the beskar spear from?) and if that green sword was ever shown in Rebels, I've long forgotten.

Basic storytelling suggests she get a bit of reintroduction, and the sword ESPECIALLY should, as it is named and everything. Yet she fights....and loses...again?

Regardless of Thrawns forces, he CLEARLY has a dozen or more TIEs in his hangar, including TIE bombers. Seems prudent to dispatch a few after the first patrol was destroyed. Then to see the turbolasers unable to shoot 2 running wolves, then to see yet ANOTHER "crack" unit get whuped, TWICE, all when he could have just lifted off 30 minutes earlier and hung out 500 meters up if he somehow had to stay in atmo.

Anyway, it's just not a great way to build up your "Grand Admiral Thrawn" have having him BARELY escape IN A STAR DESTROYER! He is running from 1 jedi, a sorta jedi, and a Padawan! And THIS GUY is the big bad? Plus zoned out Ahsoka doesn't even seem to really care if he leaves or not, or if she is stuck on the planet Ezra had a decade to explore. No rage, no grief, no frustration, just a shrug of the shoulders, another smug smile and a few meaningless words, and credits. Even Sabine, someone you'd expect a bit of emotion from, just kinda rolls with it, maybe she has a thing for snail people?

My point is Filoni CAN'T LET HIS HEROES LOSE. At best they get a pyrrhic victory because now they just so happen to be stuck on a planet probably loaded with ancient tech nobody else seems to be curious about (other than Baylan and we won't see him again :(

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I've watched the OT dozens of times. I've watched the PT a few times. Mando S1 twice. But all this new stuff just doesn't really have any energy or excitement, it's just constant "lets build towards...." without paying attention to the here and now. Andor is about all I care about now.
I work in advertising, and too often the clients think everyone knows about their product as much as they do.

Yerd

I think an actual lightsaber battle between to force users would boil down to 2 options.

A. 1 second for a stoke...done. classic samurai showdown style.

B. Lots of movement, cutting through scenery, burns and singeing from near misses, mostly lunges and parrys, definitely NO "locked sabers together and scowl" stuff as that makes no sense with these weapons.

Obviously "fighting while storytelling" requires a certain amount of artifice and staged moments, but let's not kid ourselves this is realistic.

And you can't tell me that mooks going after a jedi A SECOND TIME haven't figured out to bring shotguns, area effect weapons, and "let's all shoot her at once" tactics.

I keep saying, the Ahsoka/Marrok fight was the best light saber fight star wars has ever seen. Until people wanted to praise the twirly, flippy bullshit fights. I had to refute that garbage. I watched both to compare, and then realized how great the Marrok fight was. Then they never used that style outside of that one fight. Fights like Maul/Obi-wan are dances. Someone else said above, the fights look like they are trying to hit the other person's weapon, not the other person.

Go back to the samurai style and stick with it. It's probably the easiest to fake as well. Quick shots and show a dead person.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I work in advertising, and too often the clients think everyone knows about their product as much as they do.

But that isn't exactly the same thing... We're all Star Wars geeks... most of us. Before the acquisition, we consumed anything Star Wars we could get our eyes on. We're technically NOT the average audience... So it's surprising to me when people who profess to be super fans don't know who a certain character is regardless if it's animated or live action. Even if you didn't watch the toons, you'd find out from the relevant wikis and such. Like the Mortis gods or the World between Worlds.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
But that isn't exactly the same thing... We're all Star Wars geeks... most of us. Before the acquisition, we consumed anything Star Wars we could get our eyes on. We're technically NOT the average audience... So it's surprising to me when people who profess to be super fans don't know who a certain character is regardless if it's animated or live action. Even if you didn't watch the toons, you'd find out from the relevant wikis and such. Like the Mortis gods or the World between Worlds.
I don't know who Ahsoka is, and I'm not going to go to Wikis or anything to find out. This show is about a character, it should build that character for an audience who never saw it. If the show plot was so thick with writing I could have said, ok, guess I need to know, but honestly, this should could be cut down to maybe 1.5hrs and nothing would be lost.

Alex11

I don't know who Ahsoka is, and I'm not going to go to Wikis or anything to find out. This show is about a character, it should build that character for an audience who never saw it. If the show plot was so thick with writing I could have said, ok, guess I need to know, but honestly, this should could be cut down to maybe 1.5hrs and nothing would be lost.
Yeah, I only knew Ahsoka from a friend who tries to get me into the animated series, but it doesn't really matter, as you said, the plot is so light and uninteresting and the characters as well, they managed to make a witch in SW boring, the only good character was Baylan and well, that's just bad luck there.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I was really looking forward to this show, but the last few episodes didn’t do it for me. The action scenes and choreography were a letdown. It bugged me how the Force was barely used in combat in the last episode; it’s like they forgot they have telekinetic abilities, especially against non Force users, and just flail around with their lightsabers instead. Why didn't Ahsoka just lift Morgan into the air and toss her off into oblivion?

Rosario Dawson’s portrayal of Ahsoka was sluggish and cumbersome, rather than embodying the slender, agile and spirited warrior she was intended to be. Rosario is just too thicc and plodding. In contrast, the actress playing Morgan has a natural ease and fluidity in her movements, you could tell she could throw down but her character was unfortunately underutilised. The choreography was lacklustre, possibly dumbed down to accommodate Dawson’s (and the actors playing Sabine and Ezra) capabilities, Could have also been a time and budget constraint too ... who knows.

Speaking of the actors playing Ahsoka, Ezra, and Sabine: to me it felt like they had zero chemistry with each other. Sabine and Ezra's reunion after ten years was so flat. Meanwhile Baylon and Shin's chemistry was far more convincing even though they barely said much to each other.

Thrawn’s character was another letdown, heavily leaning on his mystical allies rather than the intellectual acumen he’s known for. He was essentially failing upwards when it came to handling the Jedi, with the odds so heavily in his favour that even his losses transpired as 'wins'.

The narrative arc of Baylon and Shin was the sole beacon of anticipation for me each episode, yet their scant presence in the finale was another dampener. I was hoping that Brad Filoni would deliver a knockout with Ahsoka S1, but the end product was pretty underwhelming.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Yeah, I only knew Ahsoka from a friend who tries to get me into the animated series, but it doesn't really matter, as you said, the plot is so light and uninteresting and the characters as well, they managed to make a witch in SW boring, the only good character was Baylan and well, that's just bad luck there.
I also never knew Star Wars had witches, which seems to draw even more "inspiration" from Dune.

If Amazon is smart, they are making a Dune universe, because it's similar to SW, just without the legacy and Billion license money.

Trunx81

Well, imagine reading one of the later EU novels without having knowledge of the Yuuzhan Vong and suddenly you are tossed into a new Jedi order, Luke is married to a woman you´ve never heard of and Chewie is dead.

It´s the same thing with the Marvel shows: Without watching Loki, you wouldn´t get half of the Story about Kang (where´s the OT for the second season?). Disney is managing these franchises now like Comic Books. You haven´t seen the shows before? Sorry, but now you are lost.

Again comparing with Star Trek: STN had a crossover with Lower Decks. I´ve seen only a few episodes of LD, but still felt, as a viewer, informed who these people are. Because they were established before the intro.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Well, imagine reading one of the later EU novels without having knowledge of the Yuuzhan Vong and suddenly you are tossed into a new Jedi order, Luke is married to a woman you´ve never heard of and Chewie is dead.

It´s the same thing with the Marvel shows: Without watching Loki, you wouldn´t get half of the Story about Kang (where´s the OT for the second season?). Disney is managing these franchises now like Comic Books. You haven´t seen the shows before? Sorry, but now you are lost.

Again comparing with Star Trek: STN had a crossover with Lower Decks. I´ve seen only a few episodes of LD, but still felt, as a viewer, informed who these people are. Because they were established before the intro.
yes. They should do a prequel episode "Previously on Star Wars" for each show.

Trunx81

yes. They should do a prequel episode "Previously on Star Wars" for each show.
at least they are not using popups like "as seen in Star Wars: The other show, Episode 45, Minute 34:39" ;)

Really not worth bothering anymore. People will just use it to post their soapbox essays of manufactured outrage or repost five-hour-long rage bait videos trashing the trailer.
is this what we have become? Just a bragging bunch of morons? The internet was a mistake /s

jason10mm

Gold Member
at least they are not using popups like "as seen in Star Wars: The other show, Episode 45, Minute 34:39" ;)
Goddamn, that would be hilarious!

And with streaming, actually Possible! Press a button and it loads the scene in question!

They just gotta remember the words of the late, great, Stan Lee: "Every comic book is someone's first".

He didn't mean summarize everything about everybody everytime, but that products need to stand on their own, be set up WITHIN each project, and relying on knowledge gleaned from an array of prior sources to inform viewers about what's going on NOW is a dangerous strategy.

Take that golden faced storm trooper lackey of Thrawns. Does he have an entire book trilogy dedicated to him? Was he in The Clone Wars or Rebels? IT DOESN'T MATTER. What DOES matter is that if he is supposed to be a mid-boss adversary, they need to establish that within the show we are now watching. If he is just Tropper #45543 and the mask is just for the sake of variety then he doesn't need much introduction. He certainly didn't get much to do in this show, kinda like Captain Phasma he's just a novelty toy.

I could go on about how dumb Ezra was to walk outta that shuttle in full stormtroopers armor (did he wear it the entire trip, and if so, why???) including helmet just so he could have a grand reveal of.....a bearded dude that THE ENTIRE SHIPS CREW immediately recognized as Ezra?

But that moment was kinda dope so I'll allow it. Style trumped substance for that event. As usual for this show, the droids saved it, Chopper knowing who it was and coming like a loyal dog was fucking heart breaking and damned near saved the ep from total disaster.

Sybrix

Thank god for videos like this because i dont have a clue about all this Star Wars Expanded Universe shit

AJUMP23

Gold Member
That doesn't make any sense. Lightsabers are lightweight and not even physical objects past the hilt. They're not lumbering weapons.
According to Lucas they were heavy like Excalibur.

Show was fine but it did not stick its landing. Zombies were dumb.

GEORGE LUCAS SAYS LIGHTSABERS ARE HEAVY​

In old interviews, including an official behind-the-scenes video called “The Birth of the Lightsaber,” George Lucas makes it clear he conceived of lightsabers as being unwieldy and “heavy” for inexperienced users. That’s why Han fumbles with Luke’s lightsaber in The Empire Strikes Back, and why in the classic films Luke and Vader usually have two hands on the hilt of their sabers.

“George was adamant that these things were really, really heavy,” Mark Hamill said in the same video. “That we couldn’t take a hand off [the hilt]. We always had to have two. It was like Excalibur, 40 to 50 pounds of weight.”

Lucas doubled down too, saying “They’re very powerful and have a lot of energy in them... so you worked with them as if they were heavy.”

Lucas has admitted that as the Star Wars films went on this concept was downplayed, and the fights “moved away from the two-handed form.” Still, his first conception of the lightsaber was that it felt heavy. “Originally, you needed two hands to hold onto this lightsaber,” Lucas said.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
According to Lucas they were heavy like Excalibur.

Show was fine but it did not stick its landing. Zombies were dumb.

GEORGE LUCAS SAYS LIGHTSABERS ARE HEAVY​

In old interviews, including an official behind-the-scenes video called “The Birth of the Lightsaber,” George Lucas makes it clear he conceived of lightsabers as being unwieldy and “heavy” for inexperienced users. That’s why Han fumbles with Luke’s lightsaber in The Empire Strikes Back, and why in the classic films Luke and Vader usually have two hands on the hilt of their sabers.

“George was adamant that these things were really, really heavy,” Mark Hamill said in the same video. “That we couldn’t take a hand off [the hilt]. We always had to have two. It was like Excalibur, 40 to 50 pounds of weight.”

Lucas doubled down too, saying “They’re very powerful and have a lot of energy in them... so you worked with them as if they were heavy.”

Lucas has admitted that as the Star Wars films went on this concept was downplayed, and the fights “moved away from the two-handed form.” Still, his first conception of the lightsaber was that it felt heavy. “Originally, you needed two hands to hold onto this lightsaber,” Lucas said.

So they're heavy because there's a lot of energy in them. Let's see, 50 lbs of energy....

Only 2,038,342,457,865,033,598 joules!

jason10mm

Gold Member
But why would Excaliber be heavy? Swords are actually pretty light as good steel can be very thin. Any idea that swords are "heavy" comes from thick iron prop/replica swords or only seeing a few examples, like an executioners sword which had just 1 job. Frickken artists :p

Still, I like the idea that sabers have "weight", wherever it comes from, to explain why saber fights are not just epee fencing duels which would look wierd TBH.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So they're heavy because there's a lot of energy in them. Let's see, 50 lbs of energy....

Only 2,038,342,457,865,033,598 joules!
It would be funny to find out that saber hilts DO weigh 50 pounds and jedi have been force carrying them around this whole time.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It would be funny to find out that saber hilts DO weigh 50 pounds and jedi have been force carrying them around this whole time.
It is explains why the fight in A New Hope is so stiff between Obi Wan and Vader. They are heavy. You can see George telling them, "NO guys they are heavy" Swing like they are weigh a lot.

Top Bottom