• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka |OT| Ezra's out there somewhere, and it's time to bring him home.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm enjoying it. Episode 6 felt different and kinda showed potential. Thrawn has his plans and I love Baylan. The rest is reasons to fight and comic relief which is fine. I also love that they pulled in some of the more fantasy side of Star Wars which I think has been pretty lacking from anything post Jedi.

For some reason I keep thinking they'll somehow have this all resolve with them stuck in the other galaxy for a while or with them arriving back post ST. This really is a moment where they can potentially move on.

It's going to culminate in the "Heir to the Empire" movie... Taking the whole "Mando-Verse" into a big screen movie.

gothmog

Gold Member
It's going to culminate in the "Heir to the Empire" movie... Taking the whole "Mando-Verse" into a big screen movie.
Yeah I'm familiar with what they're doing. I imagine there's many directions they could go. Hopefully they get some mileage out of Thrawn instead of using him as the bad guy of a single movie.

Trunx81

lol i noticed that too....dude is squeezing his XL frame into a M sized shirt held together with a belt and super glue and prayers
vlo0CH5.jpg

He´s one of us.

“So are ya Japanese or Corellian?”

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The only good thing about this show is seeing Mary Elizabeth Winstead massive ass on her orange skintight pants when she's on screen.

Massive? It looks good but I wouldn't call it massive. But I noticed when she walked, it was always AWAY from the camera. :)

Pagusas

Elden Member
It was terrible. Worse than that, it was disappointing.

When the credits rolled, I couldn't believe how badly they dropped the ball on such an interesting set up in episode 4. What you should now understand about modern Star Wars fans is that changing the color of your robe, eyes, or lightsaber = character development. Show lightsabers, necro old content and fan favorite characters, and let fan nostalgia do all the heavy lifting for your poor storytelling.

The blatant rip-off of the Gandalf v Balrog fight, and rebirth arc is just..........I can't even. At least in the LotR films they dwelled on it for all of 10 minutes and then moved on.

Whatever. The fans got their Anakin/Clone Wars moment, yay. Next episode hopefully we get back to Ray Stevenson - everything else in this show just plain sucks.
I mean just look a few post up and you have someone (non-sarcastically) calling the prequels great. There is a generation of Star Wars fans who have been Stockholm syndromed into thinking that trash deserves praise.

Yerd

I mean just look a few post up and you have someone (non-sarcastically) calling the prequels great. There is a generation of Star Wars fans who have been Stockholm syndromed into thinking that trash deserves praise.
It's not that. They are from a different generation. Most people that like the prequels are of the age to grow up and that is their star wars. Think about being a kid and seeing that as your first star wars. You would probably like it too. There are some adults(at release time) that like them and they just have horrible taste and don't know how to identify good things.

As a kid I grew up watching the Beastmaster on HBO whenever I stayed at my grandparents house. It would repeat throughout the months. It's one of my all time favorite movies to this day and I know it's not a great movie.

Trunx81

It's not that. They are from a different generation. Most people that like the prequels are of the age to grow up and that is their star wars. Think about being a kid and seeing that as your first star wars. You would probably like it too. There are some adults(at release time) that like them and they just have horrible taste and don't know how to identify good things.

As a kid I grew up watching the Beastmaster on HBO whenever I stayed at my grandparents house. It would repeat throughout the months. It's one of my all time favorite movies to this day and I know it's not a great movie.
Beastmaster 2 is one of the funniest movies ever, though.

I hated the Prequels when they came out. My son loves them. Yes, it’s a generation thing.

Ironbunny

This could be mediocre when someone makes a fan edit of the whole show that lasts max 2 hour. It doesnt fix the atrocious action nor the idiotic plot points but could atleast save the pacing. Atlest the effects and sounds are somewhat great.

Roufianos

Great episode but again, Sabine and Ezra's cringe interactions are dragging it down. How are characters meant to be releatable when they don't talk like human beings. They have so much to discuss and are instead resorting to awful quips.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Isn't there only one episode left? :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

What the hell is going on with this ridiculously stupid story? Unless the final episode is 2 hrs long, i can't see any resolution that would be satisfactory to this jumbled mess of a plot. I mean are they just gonna leave all sorts of shit hanging and be all "See you in 2 years (or whenever) for Filoni's Heir to the Empire for any resolution LOL!!"

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Isn't there only one episode left? :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

What the hell is going on with this ridiculously stupid story? Unless the final episode is 2 hrs long, i can't see any resolution that would be satisfactory to this jumbled mess of a plot. I mean are they just gonna leave all sorts of shit hanging and be all "See you in 2 years (or whenever) for Filoni's Heir to the Empire for any resolution LOL!!"
It ain't gonna give any big resolutions, it's to lead you to the Thrawn movie.

Trunx81

Next episode, they will run to get to the ship in time, only to be left on the planet and the other galaxy. Next seasons first episode brings the whales back and they arrive to see the New Republic nearly beaten by Thrawn.

It´s like poetry.

Episode 7 was so bad, that unless the finale is a standalone masterpiece this series is going down next to Book of Boba Fett.

We went from garbage to dumpster fire with this episode. That's now two entire episodes that should be completely deleted from this season.

They could've allocated episode 3 and episode 7 resources to fleshing out the Anakin/Ahsoka plot (the only thing making Ahsoka's character even remotely interesting). Instead, they chose this path. Unbelievable.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

That's what happens when you tie 3 TV shows together to end up at a movie.

Expect Mandalorian Season 4, that Skeleton Crew show, and eventually Feloni's movie to be seriously lacking in plot development lol

Hopefully that's not true, but I'd have low expectations considering how little is happening in Ahsoka.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I just rewatched Sister Act, and I'm at awe and depressed how we got to this shitty writing of characters.

Every Nun in Sister Act has character, and a different character than the other, and they are all nuns. They all have backgrounds, reasons, pov, all of it. And so much was crammed into a 100min movie.

Compared to this, where all the characters are blank, no reason for motivation really. Even Sabin who started out as sort of a rebel just became meh.

Really, I wish the strike would continue because I rather AI write this, then at least I'd understand.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Season ends in a cliffhanger. It’s continued in Season 2 and then concluded with Filoni’s Heir to the Empire movie.

I just rewatched Sister Act, and I'm at awe and depressed how we got to this shitty writing of characters.

Every Nun in Sister Act has character, and a different character than the other, and they are all nuns. They all have backgrounds, reasons, pov, all of it. And so much was crammed into a 100min movie.

Compared to this, where all the characters are blank, no reason for motivation really. Even Sabin who started out as sort of a rebel just became meh.

Really, I wish the strike would continue because I rather AI write this, then at least I'd understand.
When Sabine said "It's a long story" to Ezra for like, the 4th time in her usual slow disinterested tone I wanted to scream at my TV. Then they just make stupid small talk until boom here's a fight scene. This show actively avoids character development, meaningful dialogue, and any form of pathos.

Look at this reunion scene between Han and Chewie:

Even if you've never seen Star Wars, in less than a minute you can tell everything they've been through and what they mean to each other. Sabine's reunion with Ezra - the entire reason we're forced to follow this stupid character - is a complete flop.

Everyone involved in this show's writing should be fired.

Trunx81

God damn, now I have to watch Sister Act again. Hallelujah.

Toons

Enjoyed this ep but it wasn't as good as the last 2.

Still better star wars than most of rhe content I had to watch growing up.

Cliffhanger ending is guaranteed.

Ezra using no lightsaber was very cool, and Stevenson is going to be sorely missed because he adds a lot of gravitas to a character we don't actually know a lot about.

I like the show except this courtroom scene. That was just so fucking stupid. "Does anyone actually believe this?" while there were probably thousands who saw the whales... fuck that writing. I really like Baylan and the actor, sad that he died. Loved him in Rome too.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I was watching the episode and I remember C3PO saving Twilik General, then I fell asleep and woke up to Asoka saving the gang.

Hayabusa83

Banned
I can't believe anybody could be happy with the current course of Star Wars. In my opinion, it has been thoroughly deconstructed by people that do not understand it. In the end, the Emperor wins. His family has now usurped the Skywalker family. I really thought they had something with The Mandalorian Seasons 1 and 2, but everything after has been complete and utter garbage. The most disappointing thing was the character assassination of Obi Wan. I'd rather watch an entire season of Obi Wan force training in a cave and reminiscing of the old days with the force ghost of Qui Conn Jinn than tolerate even 5 minutes of Reva.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The show looks great but it is sooooooo damned slow. And when it isn't meandering conversations, it's endless fight scenes with NO STAKES. Sabine fights off an ENTIRE CRACK PLATOON with just Ezra sorta helping and some not ewoks throwing rocks. She is shot like FIVE times, maybe more, but no worries, Beskar! Hell, Ahsoka flies in, who cares about a 100 mile wide minefield, my ship is impervious! Fighters chasing me and shooting my ship OVER AND OVER, no worries, it's indestructible!

For maybe 1 fight this is ok, but for all the fights over 3-4 eps?

And then the damned lightsaber choreography. It looks OK, but YOU GOTTA REMEMBER WHAT THEY ARE FIGHTING WITH!

Plasma beams, not really swords!

Take this bit for example. Ahsoka spins inside Baylans guard, he makes a downward swing, and she blocks it from the front.
zrDBnUB.jpg

With a sword and her in armor, this makes some sense as you need some speed and momentum to cut (assuming he doesn't just grab one of her floppy head tentacles and toss her around) but with a lightsaber all he has to do is drop his wrist 5 inches and he cuts off her arm at the shoulder! It's just silly, and wouldn't be an issue if this wasn't like the 7th fight with similar stuff. It makes it seem like they are just sparring, there are no stakes, and emotional investment is minimal. Dave, less is more!

Toons

I can't believe anybody could be happy with the current course of Star Wars. In my opinion, it has been thoroughly deconstructed by people that do not understand it. In the end, the Emperor wins. His family has now usurped the Skywalker family. I really thought they had something with The Mandalorian Seasons 1 and 2, but everything after has been complete and utter garbage. The most disappointing thing was the character assassination of Obi Wan. I'd rather watch an entire season of Obi Wan force training in a cave and reminiscing of the old days with the force ghost of Qui Conn Jinn than tolerate even 5 minutes of Reva.

None of this has anything to do with ahsoka but its still pretty ridiculous.

Star wars was never a battle between bloodlines. It was not intended to be nor should it be. Thats BS the prequels introduced, and its pretty clear you have a nostalgiac preference for those movies.

The ORIGINAL star wars message was that it didn't matter where you came from but doing the right thing snd forming strong bonds and gaining allies was stronger than seeking out power for yourself.

Vader wasn't even meant to be lukes dad in the first movie. Palpatine was never trying to wipe out the Skywalker line. Theres no "win" just because the bloodline has ended. That was never what this story was about, it was about the opposite. And for all their flaws the sequels, at least the best parts of them kept to that theme.

Toons

Sequel Trilogy Sucks

Prequel Trilogy Rules

Suck It Disney

anakin skywalker GIF by Star Wars

Its gonna be wierd to see the equal kids grow up and say similar stuff. Star wars has kinda become symboliz of the generational gap in a way. First gen hated the second gen, second gen kids obviously ate it up because it was made for them. That gen grows up and now absolved it of any fault, hates the hard gen.

The cycle will repeate itself. It will be 20 years before were able to have a star wars discussion not clouded by nostalgia.

Its gonna be wierd to see the equal kids grow up and say similar stuff. Star wars has kinda become symboliz of the generational gap in a way. First gen hated the second gen, second gen kids obviously ate it up because it was made for them. That gen grows up and now absolved it of any fault, hates the hard gen.

The cycle will repeate itself. It will be 20 years before were able to have a star wars discussion not clouded by nostalgia.

I'm older than I look

I grew up with the OT when I was a kid

And I was mostly in highschool and college when the PT came out

I'm a huge fan of both OT and PT

It's the ST I can't stand. I skipped The Rise of the Skywalker and don't have any desire to watch it at all

I do like a couple of Disney Star Wars though

Rogue One
Mandolorian Season 2
Book of Boba Fett
Andor Season 1

The rest has been terrible. Ahsoka has been boring which is disappointing since she's my favorite Star Wars character

Dave Fioni kind of ruined her character to tell you the truth

I find it funny how Disney is trying to court me back into watching their Star Wars when they did all the Prequel hating marketing during the Sequel Trilogy. I'm like naw. I think Andor Season 2 is the last Star Wars show/movie I'll be watching. Since I find most of their stuff boring

Especially the lightsaber fights. Man those aren't fun to watch anymore

star wars art GIF

They aren't break dancing they are peacocking!

Last edited:

Toons

I'm older than I look

I grew up with the OT when I was a kid

And I was mostly in highschool and college when the PT came out

I'm a huge fan of both OT and PT

It's the ST I can't stand. I skipped The Rise of the Skywalker and don't have any desire to watch it at all

I do like a couple of Disney Star Wars though

Rogue One
Mandolorian Season 2
Book of Boba Fett

The rest has been terrible. Ahsoka has been boring which is disappointing since she's my favorite Star Wars character

Dave Fiolini kind of ruined her character to tell you the truth

Most people who ardently defend the PT were young when it came out. I was on the younger side when it came out, younger than you were.

Theres elements of it i live but I think its ultimately a very flawed take on the mythos that did long lasting damage to peoples perception of the franchise.

I find the ST flawed especially the final installment, but I think it sticks closer to the themes the IP was built upon than the PT does and i dont have some of the ideological grievances that others bring to the table.

The OT is still the oldest form and its probably never going to be replaced because that was a lightning in a bottle sort of thing culturally, when it came out wss probably the perfect time for something like that and the sequel expanded on the franchise in all the correct ways.

In some ways both Lucas and Disney have been attempting to reclaim some sort of feeling, but the best installments to me are the ones that on some level understand that it isn't possible to do that, but to create new feelings and new memories for people to attach to. The ones that take the franchise themselves in bold directions will always he preferable to me over safe and formulaic content even if initially controversial.

Also, I have been loving ahsoka. Its not perfect, but it has to me the best balance of thrill and basic character work to make for prime spectacle entertainment, which is what star wars is and should be. It's production values could be better and some of the pacing is off but it feels right.

Most people who ardently defend the PT were young when it came out. I was on the younger side when it came out, younger than you were.

Theres elements of it i live but I think its ultimately a very flawed take on the mythos that did long lasting damage to peoples perception of the franchise.

I find the ST flawed especially the final installment, but I think it sticks closer to the themes the IP was built upon than the PT does and i dont have some of the ideological grievances that others bring to the table.

The OT is still the oldest form and its probably never going to be replaced because that was a lightning in a bottle sort of thing culturally, when it came out wss probably the perfect time for something like that and the sequel expanded on the franchise in all the correct ways.

In some ways both Lucas and Disney have been attempting to reclaim some sort of feeling, but the best installments to me are the ones that on some level understand that it isn't possible to do that, but to create new feelings and new memories for people to attach to. The ones that take the franchise themselves in bold directions will always he preferable to me over safe and formulaic content even if initially controversial.

Also, I have been loving ahsoka. Its not perfect, but it has to me the best balance of thrill and basic character work to make for prime spectacle entertainment, which is what star wars is and should be. It's production values could be better and some of the pacing is off but it feels right.

I disagree there

I think a lot of Disney Star Wars has been formulaic especially the Sequel Trilogy. It has no soul like the OT and PT.

At least I remember all the stuff from the PT and OT

Same as with The Expanded Universe. They should have started adapting that. Instead of making thier own canon. Yes it has some glaring flaws, but the Disney Star Wars when it's bad, it's BAD

If The Acolyte keeps that outdated Sword fighting from the Sequel Trilogy than I'm out. That especially irks me with how bland the lightsaber fights have become. The CLONE WARS especially had some great lightsaber battles

Last edited:

Trunx81

That´s why Andor worked so good. Apart from good screenwriting, it made you feel that the Empire is actually a threat. That particular scene with the Tie-Fighter flyby, especially. It also upped Rogue One in some ways, giving us proper motivation for Andors character.

Toons

That´s why Andor worked so good. Apart from good screenwriting, it made you feel that the Empire is actually a threat. That particular scene with the Tie-Fighter flyby, especially. It also upped Rogue One in some ways, giving us proper motivation for Andors character.

I loved andor. My main issue with it was the pacing needed to be tighter. Its way too slow for its own good. But when it hits its legitimately some of the best star wars content ever made

Trunx81

I loved andor. My main issue with it was the pacing needed to be tighter. Its way too slow for its own good. But when it hits its legitimately some of the best star wars content ever made
The OT is also pretty slow, especially the first movie.

Something we both agree on :p

That show is such a delightful surprise

It's gonna to be sad to see his story done in Season 2 since we all know what happens in the movie. That's actually gonna be quite depressing lol

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The Emperor 4D chessed Anakin into existence or so the theory goes so a big brain take would always be he was the MC on the low.

Top Bottom