• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahsoka |OT| Ezra's out there somewhere, and it's time to bring him home.

Trunx81

BQJmF7g.png

What´s that logo on her (pretty nice) jacket?

Trunx81

Seriously... what star wars content has come out in the last 30 years that was amazing enough to justify these astronomical standards yall have?

Even clone wars took almost 4 seasons to become consistently good
The EU. "I, Jedi" was amazing. ;)

Seriously... what star wars content has come out in the last 30 years that was amazing enough to justify these astronomical standards yall have?
I mean, if you're asking for "content" I would point to dozens of books, comics and games produced since the OT that set a higher standard. Hell, even the Decipher card game in the early 90's created an infinitely more interesting Star Wars galaxy than the one we have today.

I want stuff like this expanded into live action when it comes to Jedi:

Instead, we get trash ass shows like Kenobi and Ahsoka that are just embarrassing for Star Wars.

Alex11

Mangold’s Dawn of the Jedi is like 10,000 years before this era. The Acolyte is about 200 years before.
Yeah, I heard about Dawn of the Jedi and although I like that it's set so far apart from this condensed Republic/Empire/New Republic era, I'm afraid to it will go to far back and try to over explain The Force and everything that a lot of the mystery will be diminished. I hope I'm wrong.
For me this is the running problem with all these series.
We all know what all these series lead up to. The Disney trilogy. As much as it's a cop out I'm actually hoping the do the multi verse BS with SW.

That way they can get out of being boxed in between trilogy's and create a over aching story that leads to actual interesting villains.
Yeah, that's I have been talking to a friend about, too much cramming in between trilogies, as you said it, we all know the end result.

I guess 1, 2 shows that don't have any major plot or characters in them are good, so they don't interfere with what it is known to happen, but when you are constantly introducing big characters that leave big ripples that aren't in any of the big movies, then there's a problem.

As much as I don't like saying this, I curiously await the movie that's in the works with Rey, because we're moving on, at least I hope so, if they don't pull another character from the death.
As much as I enjoyed this episode. I'm aware it was due to Hayden Christensen and my own personal bias of member berries.
This series certainly has potential go somewhere interesting. But I am still waiting for it to happen.
So far we have interesting villain's that aren't incompetent. Hopefully they develop a bit more.
A story that feels pretty safe. Not a good or bad thing.
Cast is pretty good for the most part. I'm not a fan of the lady who plays Ahsoka. She's not bad but I wouldn't call her good.
The saber combat was good in this episode. Especially from Hayden and the child actors who played Ahsoka.
Spot on, with the exception that I don't like any of the characters, except for Baylan, don't know why, they are too stiff, no charm, so uninteresting.

Halcyon

Everyone loses their minds when the show turns into live action Clone Wars and brings back Anakin. Everyone loses their mind when Luke shows up in Mando.

Like why not just fucking make shows with these characters. The sequels could have literally been about Luke building the New Jedi Order with Anakin helping him against a new threat ie Thrawn.

I don't know why we are pretending everyone cares about side characters as much as the people that made these stories interesting in the first place.

It's the reason Marvel currently is hot garbage but if they brought back Iron Man and Captain America it would be what people actually want.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yeah, I heard about Dawn of the Jedi and although I like that it's set so far apart from this condensed Republic/Empire/New Republic era, I'm afraid to it will go to far back and try to over explain The Force and everything that a lot of the mystery will be diminished. I hope I'm wrong.
It most likely will.

To be honest they're already kind of spoiling that with the whole Whills and Mortis Gods and other stuff that's actually canon.

Plus I'm sure they're going to current year the first Jedi. I really hope it's just some bizarre alien but they won't go that route.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It most likely will.

To be honest they're already kind of spoiling that with the whole Whills and Mortis Gods and other stuff that's actually canon.

Plus I'm sure they're going to current year the first Jedi. I really hope it's just some bizarre alien but they won't go that route.

They've already mentioned an alien species from another galaxy that probably are ancestors of the sisters of Dathomir (and Maul).

Toons

I mean, if you're asking for "content" I would point to dozens of books, comics and games produced since the OT that set a higher standard. Hell, even the Decipher card game in the early 90's created an infinitely more interesting Star Wars galaxy than the one we have today.

Instead, we get trash ass shows like Kenobi and Ahsoka that are just embarrassing for Star Wars.

I meant this isnt really compelling of an argument though.

Most of the books of the EU, which were always disregarded by Lucas anyway, have been described as inconsistent at best. Sure everyone liked the thrawn trilogy but not everyone likes all the other stuff we got.

Even aside from that, a few solid games(which I'm pretty sure are still considered canon and one of which is being remade) doesn't necessarily justify these LOTR comparisons or the like. For most of star wars existence and for most of its audience, it has been serviceable entertainment eith memorable characters and some vague morality/spirituality themes with basic sci fi tropes.

So I still fail to see the difference. We still get great content. Andor is great content. Rogue one is great content and even rebels is pretty solid. I've enjoyed mandalorian form the getgo. Thats not where it ends for me on the enjoyment scale either. And again, I see this ahsoka show so far as pretty great. Its showing up most of the movies in quality thus far.

Toons

Everyone loses their minds when the show turns into live action Clone Wars and brings back Anakin. Everyone loses their mind when Luke shows up in Mando.

Like why not just fucking make shows with these characters.

The clone wars had a TV show lol. Instead of asking for remade content just watch what we got, its good.

Luke's actor is 60 years old, and before 5 years ago the technology to make a serviceable young Luke Skywalker face was not readily available nor financially viable. If there was gonna be a luke show, it would've needed to happen in the 90s.

Frankly I'd rather not a whole show with deep fake Luke. I dont think its necessary for the character and im questionable on the enjoyment factor id get out of that sort of thing. If they wanna recast then fine. But even then, I'd like seem stories to be left to legend.

I don't know why we are pretending everyone cares about side characters as much as the people that made these stories interesting in the first place.

It's the reason Marvel currently is hot garbage but if they brought back Iron Man and Captain America it would be what people actually want.

This franchise is going to exist for decades. They cannot keep selling you the same characters forever, nor should they. They need to make new ones.

Ahsoka is a prime example of a newer character whos made a major impact and become beloved by most of the franchise. She has this show now because of that. She's the model they should be following. And keep in mind, fans rejected her for years.

Jinzo Prime

Luke's actor is 60 years old, and before 5 years ago the technology to make a serviceable young Luke Skywalker face was not readily available nor financially viable. If there was gonna be a luke show, it would've needed to happen in the 90s.
Who is asking for a deep-faked Luke? Cast some new people as Luke, Han and Leia and let's get the Heir to the Empire movie made right. Ahsoka can tag along, but to be a true follow up to Return of the Jedi, the OG characters should be there, imho.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Like why not just fucking make shows with these characters. The sequels could have literally been about Luke building the New Jedi Order with Anakin helping him against a new threat ie Thrawn.

Anakin wasn't in the sequels as they branded them as basically the anti-prequels.

Little did they know that the shit they served up would actually make people appreciate the prequels so much more.

Uhtred

Well said KK incessant need to move on or destroy the legacy characters is so misguided! I’m all for expanding the universe and telling other stories, but don’t just brush to the side the characters that made everyone fall in love with all of this in the first place.

This last episode was one of the best things I’ve seen since 2013 that was Star Wars related. I only hope Hayden sees the love from everyone because my God does he deserve it.

Last edited:

Toons

Who is asking for a deep-faked Luke? Cast some new people as Luke, Han and Leia and let's get the Heir to the Empire movie made right. Ahsoka can tag along, but to be a true follow up to Return of the Jedi, the OG characters should be there, imho.

Thats the thing. They arent making a follow up to return of the jedi. And in my opinion they shouldn't be making a follow up to return of the jedi, especially not one with none of rhe original cast.

It is time to move on from the original trilogy. If this franchise is going to have any survivability long term with a new generation of fans then we have to move on. We cannot keep looking backwards. Rotj was dam near 40 years ago.

So many get selfish with franchise they love. Its understandable. But I know star wars doesn't belong to me. Star wars belongs to my 10 year old cousin, and its going to belong to whoever comes after him next. It can't just be about fanwank for the people who sat in the theaters all those years ago.

George Lucas realized this as well, in a way. Its my opinion thats part of the reason ahsoka was created.

Trunx81

Now that they got EarlJones´ voice in the can, why don´t they just produce a Darth Vader show? Anyone could play the character. Hayden seems to be ready to play his role in flashbacks as well. Some of the now-canon DV comics are not too bad. There are a lot of cool stories to be told from his perspective. Yes, he´s OP, but let him hunt down JarJar or some rogue Jedi.

Yerd

Little did they know that the shit they served up would actually make people appreciate the prequels so much more.

I take offense to this.

I'm not so fickle in opinion that a newer shit movie makes another shit movie look better. Prequels are still shit movies.

Ballthyrm

Disney has produced the dumbest "stuff" Star Wars has ever seen by a long shot.

Live action Star Wars* (andor excluded)
The animated content has been pretty solid.

Lightsaber battles finally.

Every time a lightsaber battle start I lose interest, it looks to me we can't have star wars without them and it gets tiresome.

The deep fake was a trap. When you look at the actor he looks perfect already, they should have recasted Luke. Now they are trapped doing deep fake of everyone and it costs a shit ton of money for no added value whatsoever IMHO.

Trunx81

The deep fake was a trap. When you look at the actor he looks perfect already, they should have recasted Luke. Now they are trapped doing deep fake of everyone and it costs a shit ton of money for no added value whatsoever IMHO.
Just cast Sebastian Stan as Luke. Disney already has him on payroll

Jinzo Prime

Nah, they aren't trapped. They just need to properly introduce a new actor as Luke, and have interveiws and industry articles about it.

Just cast Sebastian Stan as Luke. Disney already has him on payroll

Alot of people fan-cast him as Luke a while ago and I think he could fit.

Thats the thing. They arent making a follow up to return of the jedi. And in my opinion they shouldn't be making a follow up to return of the jedi, especially not one with none of rhe original cast

They are the ones that decided to bring back Thrawn from the "Legends" canon, and the book he is from is direct follow up to Return of the Jedi. Trying to separate Thrawn and Heir from the OG cast would be a mistake, because they are integral to that story.

I agree that we need new stories and characters, but they have decided on this path and now must follow through.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Episode was Ok. Dumb fun category which is fine. It's kind of in "kids show" territory or "young adult" which I guess makes sense? It's cool to have a variety, since everything to do with Andor was pretty grimdark, and Mandalorian is pretty violent.

Still can't help but have my brain go "why did she bring her kid to this, why is she letting her kid sit alone on this planet " lol

Visually like the show a lot, just sort of hate Dawson in this.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Man I could seriously do a feature length movie of this quality. These Old Republic cinematics were so fucking good.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Now that they got EarlJones´ voice in the can, why don´t they just produce a Darth Vader show? Anyone could play the character. Hayden seems to be ready to play his role in flashbacks as well. Some of the now-canon DV comics are not too bad. There are a lot of cool stories to be told from his perspective. Yes, he´s OP, but let him hunt down JarJar or some rogue Jedi.
Noooooooo.

Any extended Vader stuff would have him saving orphans out of guilt, serving soup to retired clones, undermine nefarious Imperial Officers, and in general just being a swell guy.

Juat look at what they did to Fett!

Spyxos

Ahsoka was better from the 4 episode. They should have shown the first 3 in one piece.

Somehow there's too much Star Wars right now, even if there were new movies I'd just ignore them because it's too much content for me at this point. This special event there is something new from star wars is completely gone.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
You know, I had pretty low expectations going in but I have to say I'm enjoying this show. Sure there's some jank here and there, but on the balance of things, I really like it so far.

Episode 4 and Episode 5 were great and seeing The Clone Wars show come to life was unreal. And the Anakin deepfakery/de-aging was really amazing too. It's essentially live-action Rebels at this point.

Also, the New Republic senate can get fucked. And General Hera constantly being treated like some scrub by those cunts, is really annoying. You'd think that someone of her rank and accomplishments would have earned some freedom and resources to do whatever the fuck she wants.

Toons

Noooooooo.

Any extended Vader stuff would have him saving orphans out of guilt, serving soup to retired clones, undermine nefarious Imperial Officers, and in general just being a swell guy.

Juat look at what they did to Fett!

Vader killed an actual child in Kenobi, on screen.

That's the first time we have ever seen him do that on screen. In a Disney product.

Toons

They are the ones that decided to bring back Thrawn from the "Legends" canon, and the book he is from is direct follow up to Return of the Jedi. Trying to separate Thrawn and Heir from the OG cast would be a mistake, because they are integral to that story.

I agree that we need new stories and characters, but they have decided on this path and now must follow through.

No, they reincorproated him elsewhere where he could be effective in others ways. They even brought back Timothy Zahn, his creator to write some novels establishing his character and role in this new canon. Hes written like 4 or 5 so far. I read the first and its very good.

This is how they can use the good of the EU and not be tied to the wierd stuff. Its a better method if you ask me than jsut redoing stuff we already got.

ManaByte

No, they reincorproated him elsewhere where he could be effective in others ways. They even brought back Timothy Zahn, his creator to write some novels establishing his character and role in this new canon. Hes written like 4 or 5 so far. I read the first and its very good.

He's written six so far. Two trilogies.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Vader killed an actual child in Kenobi, on screen.

That's the first time we have ever seen him do that on screen. In a Disney product.
You think they would have him do that for 6-10 episodes of a Vader show? NFW.

Let him pop up here and there as a super villain. The more we see of him, the less cool he is.

Toons

You think they would have him do that for 6-10 episodes of a Vader show? NFW.

Let him pop up here and there as a super villain. The more we see of him, the less cool he is.

I completely agree. His appearances should feel like events, or at least scenarios where they need everyone not important to die.

Toons

Didn’t even know that. Now I finally found something new to read! Thx

The first one has a lot of characters that will show up in rebels as the book takes place before them. But it details thrawns philosophy and why ge supports the empire. It was adapted into a comic book as well

RAÏSanÏa

First time I'd seen The World between Worlds, that was amazing development of lore. With the things happening there being heard in the sounds of nature to the attuned is powerfully imaginative.

The lightsaber battle was perfectly done. The harmony in the balance of performance theatrics and skill to convey characterization quickly and story precisely was exquisite.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Rosario is wedged into a corset but no one can say the casting director was hiring ugo's for this show. I just wish Sabine was a bit more buff, she is toned but I think all mandalorians should be more on the brick shithouse side of things.

FunkMiller

The Longman explaining what older shows were able to pull off effectively when the writing was up to snuff.

The highlighting of the endless, endless ‘memberberry fan service stuff, and the reactions of fully grown adults acting like hormonal prepubescents over it, is some of the most depressing shit I’ve ever seen.

Seriously? Is that all it takes for these feckless idiots to claim narrative ‘genius’? This tired fucking shit, centred on the same characters created forty years ago?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm up to ep4 now and the funny thing is, despite 2/3rd of the bad guys and ALL of the good guys being women, I still don't think this show passes the Bechdel test :p As dumb as that test is as an indicator, even here Ezra, Anakin or Jacen come up all the time. Sure, Hera and Ahsoka will talk about Sabine, but one of the three males will inevitably be mentioned in the scene as well.

The bad guys are teslly carrying the show for me. Because they just REFUSE to let the Republic be shown in a good light, it's hard to prefer it over the empire, really. Take away the Emporer himself, was the Empire, with its order, stability, and meritocracy, really that bad for like 99.5% of the population? Is the chaos, pirating, and corruption of the New Republic any better?

So I find myself WANTING Thrawn back. Ahsoka has become just as humdrum as the Jedi she rejected, Hera is the LEAST tactical General ever (clearly a product of a desperate time), and Sabine, the only one with real life in her, well, that way lies the dark side :p

What I wouldn't give for the wry humor of Obi-Wan ir Solo, the enthusiasm of young Luke or Ezra, ANYONE to match the gravitas of Baylan. The poor robot is carrying the weight of the entire good guy side.

I did like the WW2 fighter plane inspired battle around the hyperspace ship. But they nerfed blasters too much (along with lightsabers, I guess). Ahsokas ship was getting stitched up and down with shots but it didn't even shake. Compare it to the hectic jostling of the Falcon when under attack by TIEs. Almost no dramatic tension.

Top Bottom