• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Airport Express - Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattergen

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

I'm really digging this Air Tunes feature. Sounds kick ass. Comments?

Setting up AirTunes
Couldn’t be easier. Install the AirPort Express Assistant software included in the CD that comes with AirPort Express. Then just follow these easy steps:

Connect your stereo or a set of powered speakers to the audio port using either an optical digital or analog audio cable (both are included in the AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit). Which cable you use depends on whether your stereo or set of powered speakers has an optical digital or analog connection.

Plug AirPort Express into an electrical outlet using either the AC plug that came with the base station or the AirPort Express power extension cord included in the AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit.

The base station turns on automatically when connected to an electrical outlet; there is no switch. The status light glows yellow while AirPort Express is starting up. Once it’s started up completely, the light turns green.

Use the AirPort Express Assistant to do the rest. The software automatically indicates what devices you have connected and it walks you through the rest; just follow the onscreen instructions.

That’s it — you’re all set to enjoy your iTunes music on your stereo or powered speakers. To play your iTunes music, simply open iTunes 4.6. In the lower right of the iTunes window, you’ll see a popup list showing your stereo speakers connected to AirPort Express. Select it, click play and you’re ready to rock.

AirTunes on the Go
Want to DJ your friend’s party? Carry AirPort Express along with your AirPort-equipped PowerBook to your friend’s house and showcase your unique musical taste on your friend’s stereo. Take advantage of the Party Shuffle feature in iTunes to create dynamic playlists and wow everyone with your carefully selected and ordered tunes. Who knows? Equipped with your Powerbook and AirPort Express with AirTunes, maybe you’re about to embark upon a new career.

Sorry if old.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Definitely the coolest, most significant product Apple has released since the iPod. I'm going to order one right away, and probably get at least one more later. Great features, great price point. Excellent stuff.

Phoenix

This is definitely good stuff. While I won't order one right away (especially not from Apple who is notoriously slow about shipping product), I will order from MacMall or similar as soon as they become available. With this device, Apple FINALLY has a competent wireless access point at a price that just isn't consumer rape.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sweet,buying one for sure :)

Pattergen

Really gives a lot of potential life to the Party Shuffle on iTunes.

$129 + $39 for stereo connection kit

Mac/Windows compatible

Really cool stuff. :)

indextop06072004.jpg

indexairtunes06072004.gif

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I read it as airborn express as well and subsequently skipped this thread.

The wireless router I am on is not mine. So suffice it to say this is going to be one of the first things I buy when I move to my new apartment. :Rawk:

Badass, Does it have the same range etc as the normal airport?

EDIT: I thought the airport base station was overpriced for what you got, this thing seems like a legitimate value as it is compact, slick, and adds functionality of the air tunes thing while not looking half as ugly as the old airport. Plus it appears it has two plug options (plug and cord) as all new apple power sources for added versatility.

Pattergen

Some articles...

Jobs intros AirPort Express; streams iTunes music

While you can stream music to your home stereo using the new device from Apple, you will have to be in front of your computer if you want to change songs or playlists. Unlike other devices on the market, AirPort Express does not come with a remote or have a user interface, outside of iTunes, to control playback.

Editor's Comments

When you select an AirPort Express device in the new pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes 4.6 interface, that device essentially replaces your Mac's speakers as the audio-output source for whatever you do in iTunes. At that point you can do anything you'd normally do in iTunes -- play music from your Library, from someone else's library, or from your iPod; play an Internet radio stream; even play an audiobook. The sound won't come out of your Mac -- it'll come out of the speakers attached to the AirPort Express.

Apple Pumps Music Through Air - Wired News

"It's a pretty interesting bundle," Fleishman said. "Until now, streaming audio, USB printer support and a basic home gateway with 802.11g and WPA security would require at least two, if not three, separate pieces of gear. Add to that the wireless bridging and you might have needed as many as four separate Wi-Fi devices to equal one AirPort Express."

In addition, Fleishman said the AirPort Express is cheaper and more capable than many comparable streaming audio players, which typically cost between $150 and $300.

Looks like the price point is right. I agree with the points about the need for an infared controlling device of some sort. But I guess that could possibly come along later.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I see the benefit of a remote, but for the price and for the fact that a remote isn't going to let you do anything but skip tracks etc (it won't let you change playlists, browse library etc, at least not practically) I won't miss it for a second (especially since I am on a laptop anyway.)

Additionally I think that Stero kit they are selling for $40 isn't needed unless you want monster cables/ or optical output. Theoretically, any mini to RCA jack should work in this.

I like the point about how this does so many things in one little package, and I also really appreciate the device's size. Now I can take this, throw it in my bag with a small RJ45 to, and at anyones house who has DSL/Cable I have set up a little wireless for my laptop. Rad.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just wait -- coming soon iPod Generation 4, now with AirTunes capability built-in. Play iTunes music wirelessly on your home stereo via AirPort Express, using your iPod :)

You watch, this wouldn't surprise me at all :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
element said:
so this is pretty much a wirelss bridge that can play music when your not using it?

AND you can connect a printer to it, allowing you to use any printer as a shared network printer without having to configure it on ANY PC or Mac on your LAN.

Pattergen

Yeah, the Stereo Kit doesn't look like a must buy. Think I've got everything I need already. I'm just trying to find the downsides/negatives. There doesn't seem to be many though.

I have an iBook, so the controller wouldn't be something I really need either. Excellent way to DJ a party whilst keeping the iPod or iBook behind (locked) closed doors.

Pattergen

SteveMeister said:
Just wait -- coming soon iPod Generation 4, now with AirTunes capability built-in. Play iTunes music wirelessly on your home stereo via AirPort Express, using your iPod :)

You watch, this wouldn't surprise me at all :)

From that Wired article...

"In fact, I would bet that there are any number of vendors who are quite nervous about this. We've heard comments like, 'Apple can own this market if they want to.' I suppose we'll see, now that they've actually got a product out there."

Let the digital music ownage begin... or continue... or something.

Pattergen

Some more.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/06/07.9.shtml

AirPort Express offers both Mac and PC users the ability to share a single DSL or cable broadband account with up to 10 simultaneous users and a single USB printer with multiple users. With its advanced security features, AirPort Express safeguards data on networked computers with support for WiFi Protected Access (WPA), 128-bit encryption and a built-in firewall.

fart

Savant
except for the audio out part you can get the same thing from the taiwanese for less. nice design though.

eta: that sounded pretty negative. i do like it. i think the audio streaming is novel, and as much as i hate apple analog sections, the toslink is a nice touch. i do think it's a little more expensive than it should be. if the taiwanese had apple's software engineering assets they could outdeliver on this device in a second.

i'm confused about one thing though... is it an access point? or an infrastructure router.

Mumbles

It's pretty much what I need, but for some reason, I find this incredibly annoying. Lack of remote is a drawback, though.

fart

Savant
Mumbles said:
It's pretty much what I need, but for some reason, I find this incredibly annoying. Lack of remote is annoying, though.
devices with remote are pretty expensive. if you have a laptop it's kind of like a huge remote i guess.

Pattergen

New iTunes isn't supposed to be out until later this week.

What is incredibly annoying?

It serves as an access point or if you already have a router then it will extend the wireless base reach.

Mumbles

fart said:
devices with remote are pretty expensive. if you have a laptop it's kind of like a huge remote i guess.

I was actually thinking of using an old imac that's sitting around at mom's house to pipe music through. It wouldn't have a remote, but at least I'd be able to control the music from the living room. But space is limited, the imac is old, and I'm too much of an oaf to run wires all over the place.

Pattergen said:
What is incredibly annoying?

Maybe it's because I'm trying to save money, maybe it's because I own too much Apple stuff already. I dunno...

fart

Savant
there's a really really nice wireless mp3 player with a big display, remote, outputs, the works. i can't remember what it's called. it's like 250$ or something, but fits your needs better cockles

element

wait? Is it a bridge or a basestation?

it sounds like a basestation with an audio plug. im so confused.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
element said:

Its both.

It can act as a wireless router. Just plug your DSL/cable modem into it. Firewall as well.

If you don't hook anything up, and you already have a wireless hub, it can act as a repeater extending range.

You could probably also hook it into the wall and use it to simulate your on little "vpn" with another computer (don't quote me on that but you can already do it with multiple airport cards so it is not a streatch)

It can receive data from iTunes and audio out to the device of your choice. It can also use USB to hook up a shared printer for use by anyone on the network.

Its basically the airport base station, condensed into a convinient package with added Audio functionality for about the same price.

Pattergen

element said:

It works as both. You can use it as a ultra portable base station, but you can also use it in conjunction with a base station you already have up and running in order to extend the wireless reach.

The audio plug is an added feature for wireless music streaming from iTunes to speakers/entertainment centers.

edit: JINX!

The only major downside to the AirPort Express is that as a wifi router it only supports 10 users. But honestly, how many home users are ever going to need the 50 user support of the AirPort Extreme. I'd get one of these but I really have no use for it. Maybe I will back at college but I'm not sure yet.

Fowler

I want one... I rather like the idea of a portable base station, not to mention one that can also feed my stereo with music. I don't like that you have to fully control it on the Mac, because it's not entirely practical if your Mac is in one room and the unit in another, though they said they're working on that.

What I really want to see is their supposed iPod car connection kit... Jobs mentioned that they're working on it...

Mustang

Banned
This is too cool.

Going to order one of these puppies up.

I see Apple either coming out with some sort of remote or an iPod with WiFi capability to increse the functionality of all of this.

*checks balance on Visa card*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom