• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Sharpton is now a fat shamer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Yea yea it's the NY Post ... But I always find these character assassination articles by the post humorous... They are borderline parody at this point

http://nypost.com/2014/08/27/formerly-sizable-sharpton-now-pokes-fun-at-fat-friends/

Al Sharpton is now a fat shamer
By Sophia Rosenbaum
August 27, 2014 | 6:52am

Al Sharpton was once a big fellow, as seen in 1997 (left), but has slimmed down considerably in recent years (right).
Photo: Elizabeth Lippman, G.N. Miller
He lost more than half his body weight — and now the Rev. Al Sharpton is a fat shamer!
The civil-rights leader and host of MSNBC’s “Politics Nation” regularly pokes fun at his fat followers and friends, The Smoking Gun reports after examining comments he’s made before his organization, the National Action Network.
“Every fine girl is two big Whoppers away from being obese,” he said after meeting an old high-school crush who had ballooned to almost 300 pounds.
At a May rally against Boko Haram outside the United Nations, Sharpton told his fellow protesters, “A lot of y’all ain’t doing nothing but going to lunch. And most of y’all don’t need no lunch. Y’all need to walk over to the UN and lose some weight anyhow.”
Sharpton, who once tipped the scales at 305 pounds, lost 30 pounds during a prison hunger strike in 2001, but began his real body transformation in 2009, ditching his infamous track suit for a more tailored look. He now weighs 138 — a drop of 167 pounds from his heaviest.
He owes the dramatic weight loss to a super strict diet that relies mostly on fruits and veggies.
“I gave up meat, I started watching my diet, I work out,” Sharpton said on the “Today” show in October 2013. He eats fish twice a week and doesn’t eat anything after 6 p.m.

‘EVERY FINE GIRL IS TWO BIG WHOPPERS AWAY FROM BEING OBESE.’
- Rev. Al Sharpton

“Since I lost weight, I talk about fat folk real bad,” Sharpton said at a meeting for a fashion show organized by his daughter, Ashley, in April. “I like keeping fat folk around me so I can just talk about them.”
While eating at famed Harlem soul-food restaurant Sylvia’s, Sharpton was disgusted when he watched a woman scarf down half a fried chicken, two sides and a dessert.
When she “had the nerve” to ask for Sweet’N Low, Sharpton couldn’t contain his anger.
“I just got mad,” Sharpton said. “So I couldn’t take it anymore and said, ‘Miss, lemme ask you something. All of that you took, what do you need Sweet’N Low? I mean, you just make yourself feel better? You might as well pour the whole bag of sugar in the cup.”
Sharpton did not respond to a request for comment about the cracks.

Lol He used to be fat himself!

3TukYf8.jpg

When you're highly insecure about something, you tend to resent other people who remind you of it (e.g. many fat people resent other fat people, but idolize thinner people who have their ideal body type in most cases). Even if you lose a bunch of weight though, you'll still likely retain this viewpoint. To add to that, people who lose a lot of weight tend to see obesity as a personal weakness that they've had to overcome, and they're likely to look down on people who have it.

.... well, not much of what he said is really wrong.
People could do with eating less and move more, that much is true. Sure, he's a douchebag, but he's always been one.

His rhetoric is fucking abysmal. Coupled with his hyocritical fat shaming just makes him an ultra-douche.

I don't think "hypocritical" means what you think it does...and if anything the fact that he use to be fat and lost weight through discipline legitimizes his claims/jokes in his mind

When you're highly insecure about something, you tend to resent other people who remind you of it (e.g. many fat people resent other fat people, but idolize thinner people who have their ideal body type in most cases). Even if you lose a bunch of weight though, you'll still likely retain this viewpoint. To add to that, people who lose a lot of weight tend to see obesity as a personal weakness that they've had to overcome, and they're likely to look down on people who have it.

In the vast majority of cases, it is. Well, obesity isn't the weakness, but the urge to eat that led to it is. Why not allow them to celebrate overcoming it? I understand the whole body acceptance movement, but being okay with being obese is not healthy. No matter what arguments you guys may make, citing "Oh obese people can be just as healthy" (false, when you're overweight you have a higher chance of heart disease, among other health related disorders) or "Oh, well being slightly overweight is better than being slightly underweight" (True, but no one is saying being underweight isn't bad too), I still refuse to accept it

Man, it really seems like formerly fat people may be the most vitriolic to currently fat people.

I'm a pretty big dude (6 foot, 250 lbs. Fair amount of muscle from lifting but no definition and plenty of chub too). I just started working on my diet recently after losing about ten pounds from being in some very physical shows and deciding I'd like to keep losing weight. If I do drop weight, I really hope I don't succumb to this really hateful attitude, because I don't think it helps much.

That said, he's not wrong. I'm a big guy because of my own lifestyle choices, and anyone that passes judgement on me or any girl that turns me down for my size is a result of just that, whether they're right or wrong.

I don't think "hypocritical" means what you think it does...and if anything the fact that he use to be fat and lost weight through discipline legitimizes his claims/jokes in his mind

In the vast majority of cases, it is. Well, obesity isn't the weakness, but the urge to eat that led to it is. Why not allow them to celebrate overcoming it? I understand the whole body acceptance movement, but being okay with being obese is not healthy. No matter what arguments you guys may make, citing "Oh obese people can be just as healthy" (false, when you're overweight you have a higher chance of heart disease, among other health related disorders) or "Oh, well being slightly overweight is better than being slightly underweight" (True, but no one is saying being underweight isn't bad too), I still refuse to accept it

It has little to do with whether obesity is okay or not, or body acceptance in general. It's more that formerly obese people should be (if anything) more sympathetic in such cases, but often, they're even more resentful of obese people and more likely to fat shame.

SmokyDave

So this 'fat-shaming' stuff is a real thing?

Presumably then 'Fat-Positive Activists' are a real thing too?

Huh. This crazy world we live in. I need to get me a niche. Maybe I'll start blogging about my life as a dude so generic that I don't even have to fuck with the sliders on most character creators.

Cheech

You hit the nail on the head. I'm not skinny yet, but getting there, and as a former 300+ pounder I have a hard time concealing my disgust at the super overweight.

I'm also aware that I do this BECAUSE I overcame it, and so force myself to be supportive instead of condescending. It's really, really hard, and I slip sometimes. I frequent /r/fatpeoplestories and /r/fatpeoplehate just to get it out of my system. I never post insulting things there, reading the venom there is enough.

By the way, thanks for posting that. It did help me sort it out in my mind.

Check out the two subreddits I mentioned. Your eyes will be opened to a whole new world of the mentally ill (on both sides).

There is a time and place to have a conversation about diet but I'm not sure it's his place and it doesn't appear that he is interested in offering constructive advice anyhow; just cheap jabs.

That said, I love the Rev usually.

entremet

Man, it really seems like formerly fat people may be the most vitriolic to currently fat people.

I'm a pretty big dude (6 foot, 250 lbs. Fair amount of muscle from lifting but no definition and plenty of chub too). I just started working on my diet recently after losing about ten pounds from being in some very physical shows and deciding I'd like to keep losing weight. If I do drop weight, I really hope I don't succumb to this really hateful attitude, because I don't think it helps much.

That said, he's not wrong. I'm a big guy because of my own lifestyle choices, and anyone that passes judgement on me or any girl that turns me down for my size is a result of just that, whether they're right or wrong.

Former smokers are the same way.

Finrod

Banned
Schattenjäger;127288814 said:
While eating at famed Harlem soul-food restaurant Sylvia’s, Sharpton was disgusted when he watched a woman scarf down half a fried chicken, two sides and a dessert.
When she “had the nerve” to ask for Sweet’N Low, Sharpton couldn’t contain his anger.
“I just got mad,” Sharpton said. “So I couldn’t take it anymore and said, ‘Miss, lemme ask you something. All of that you took, what do you need Sweet’N Low? I mean, you just make yourself feel better? You might as well pour the whole bag of sugar in the cup.”

I could do this easily, and i am skinny.

El Topo

Huh. This crazy world we live in. I need to get me a niche. Maybe I'll start blogging about my life as a dude so generic that I don't even have to fuck with the sliders on most character creators.

'Vita-Positive Activist' ;-)

Dash27

He now weighs 138

He owes the dramatic weight loss to a super strict diet that relies mostly on fruits and veggies.
“I gave up meat, I started watching my diet, I work out,” Sharpton said on the “Today” show in October 2013. He eats fish twice a week and doesn’t eat anything after 6 p.m.

Doesnt sound healthy to me and he doesn't look healthy either. 138? He's listed as 5'10 which is about my height. 138 is absurdly low.

jmdajr

Oh yeah. Definitely.

Bottom line for me, fat people should never be judged simply for being fat. And at the same time, obesity and behaviors that cause such shouldn't be encouraged.

slit

Wait didn't he have gastric bypass surgery? If so, then he never really learned how to eat, he just took a lazy shortcut.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Doesnt sound healthy to me and he doesn't look healthy either. 138? He's listed as 5'10 which is about my height. 138 is absurdly low.

seriously, i'm 5'11 and when I weighed 155 everyone commented on how unhealthy and stick figure I looked. Spend a year changing my diet to take in more protein and eat more overall, along with some working out, got up to 175 and everyone loves how I look now.

I couldn't image 140ish, I'd be nothing but bone.

jmdajr

Wait didn't he have gastric bypass surgery? If so, then he never really learned how to eat, he just took a lazy shortcut.

A friend of mine tried every single diet known to man and failed. He was desperate and finally decided to do the surgery.

It worked for him and he kept the weight off. Surgery like this isn't something lazy people do just for fun. At least I hope not.

entremet

He also an older fellow. You naturally lose bone and muscle mass as you age, more if you neglect weight training. Last I heard, Al was more of a cardio only guy.

Mesousa

Banned
A fri3end of mine tried every single diet known to man and failed. He was desperate and finally decided to do teh surgery.

It worked for him and he kept the weight off. Surgery isn't something lazy people just do for fun.

Unless he had a very specific medical condition he could have literally just exercised more, ate the same in smaller portions, and saw results.

jmdajr

Unless he had a very specific medical condition he could have literally just exercised more, ate the same in smaller portions, and saw results.

I'm sure he could have. But that's his fucking choice. At least he's not another morbidly obese dude in an early grave.

Cheech

Yeah, it's not that easy for some people. I did it, and it's by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do. The amount of willpower required is staggering, and you NEED a support system in place (parents/spouse being supportive) as well as time and money to make it happen.

There's a real need for lap band type surgeries. Once you get past a certain point, the amount of effort to lose the weight on your own becomes exponentially harder. My wake up call was when my 4 year old pointed out that a Biggest Loser contested "looked just like daddy". This guy was 450 pounds. I topped out at about 300, but it was enough to get me moving.

TheDude108

I actually thought he was ill when I seen him on TV a few days ago.

Having seen him on Louis Therouxs documentary, I was sure he had cancer or something as he looked a bit gaunt.

entremet

Yeah, it's not that easy for some people. I did it, and it's by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do. The amount of willpower required is staggering, and you NEED a support system in place (parents/spouse being supportive) as well as time and money to make it happen.

There's a real need for lap band type surgeries. Once you get past a certain point, the amount of effort to lose the weight on your own becomes exponentially harder. My wake up call was when my 4 year old pointed out that a Biggest Loser contested "looked just like daddy". This guy was 450 pounds. I topped out at about 300, but it was enough to get me moving.

What made it so difficult? Were they're treats and such around the house? Social events?

I feel the environmental thing is the biggest problem. I didn't start losing weight until I stopped buying garbage to snack on.

slit

A friend of mine tried every single diet known to man and failed. He was desperate and finally decided to do the surgery.

It worked for him and he kept the weight off. Surgery like this isn't something lazy people do just for fun. At least I hope not.

That's fine until you start criticizing people who may not be able to afford or be medically cleared for the procedure.

I thought this was going to be some of the fake fat shaming I see people being accused of all the time. But holy shit, Al becomes irate at fat people. Why does a person care how someone else lives their life when it in no way affects them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom