• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama proposal would require brewers to keep info on every person they sell beer to

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9057...ed-alabama-beer-rule-prompts-privacy-concerns

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama's alcohol regulators want to know who is buying beer from one of the state's craft breweries and taking it home to drink.

The Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board is considering a new rule that would require brewers to collect the name, address, age and phone number from anyone who purchases beer at a brewery for off-premise consumption.

Industry groups are crying foul over the proposed regulation, which they say is an invasion of privacy. They also say it would be a logistical nightmare to collect the information.

"As nonsensical as it might seem, this rule would essentially empower the ABC Board to come to an individual's house to confirm his or her purchase of a six pack of beer," said a statement by Nick Hudson of Free The Hops, a group that has campaigned to increase craft brewing to the conservative, Bible Belt state.

The Alabama Brewers Guild, composed of the state's roughly two dozen breweries and brewpubs, said collecting the information would be an administrative nightmare and could pose concerns not just over privacy but also about potential data breaches and governmental use of the information.

"I'm honestly not sure they thought it out very well," said Guild executive director Dan Roberts.

The ABC hasn't publicly explained why it wants detailed personal information about beer purchasers, and officials did not return a message seeking comment on reasons for the rule, which will be considered by the board on Sept. 28.

Roberts said the agency told him the information would be used to verify enforcement of the state's 288-ounce limit on the amount of brew anyone can purchase at one time. Breweries would have to come up with a way to gather the information and deal with customers who don't want such information in the government's hands.

"It's a huge deal logistically. Also, there are purchasers who just won't do it. They'd go to Publix instead of buying at a brewery," he said.

It seems like this is a handout to the big beer brands to attack the small brewers.

Oh yeah and going forward if you think the Republicans believe in the free market then you're obviously a fucking moron.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Small government!

nothing more than an insincere bullshit right-wing talking point that conservatives love to regurgitate.

These super-red states are ridiculous. Glad I don't live in one of them.

Beartruck

Well, they are attacking small breweries. That sounds like small government to me, right? Thats how it works right?

Hale-XF11

I find it super creepy how conservative republicans want to know everything that goes on in the privacy of our own homes.

From Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board website...

http://abcboard.alabama.gov/(S(cyyktq1jvbuhw54zrvtrq445))/about_us.aspx

The ABC Board controls alcoholic beverages through distribution, licensing, and enforcement. The Board operates a chain of retail stores selling the majority of liquor purchased in Alabama. The Board operates in an efficient and cost effective manner to ensure that Alabamians who choose to purchase beverages are able to do so at a fair price while generating considerable revenue for the State and local governing authorities. The facts prove that the system of control in Alabama are working. The State ranks among the nation's leaders in per capita revenue from the sale of alcohol, but does so while maintaining one of the nation's lowest levels of per capita consumption. High revenue with low consumption. This exactly fulfills the mandate of the people of Alabama.

????

Jedi2016

"Alcoholic Beverage Control Board"? Why does such a thing even exist?

I'm drinking a wine cooler as I type this... should I be registered in some kind of database somewhere?

I'm a gun owner, too.. which one should be the higher priority of keeping on a list somewhere? FFS.

I'm drinking a wine cooler as I type this... should I be registered in some kind of database somewhere?

I'm a gun owner, too.. which one should be the higher priority of keeping on a list somewhere? FFS.

Here ya go....
http://abcboard.alabama.gov/(S(cyyktq1jvbuhw54zrvtrq445))/about_us.aspx
Following the era of Prohibition, each state individually decided how alcoholic beverages would be managed within its borders. The people of Alabama did not want alcoholic beverages marketed like soup and soft drinks. Recognizing the lethal potential of alcohol, Alabama citizens demanded its rigorous control. The ABC Board was legislatively created to fulfill this mandate.

I think if they tried this here in Wisconsin there would be a riot.

Hogger

Probably :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom