• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama theater cancels Beauty and the Beast because of gay character LeFou

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is dumb but there are other theaters relatively close by I'm sure so shouldn't be too hard for people who want to see it to see it.

It's weird too because amongst many of the conservatives I know in the Alabama suburbs people being gay is rarely a big deal.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm an atheist but believe me, I have more respect for a hypothetical creator of the Universe, time, space and reality than these cretins ever do should they genuinely believe 'He' would be on their side for this one.

Aaron

I'm an atheist but believe me, I have more respect for a hypothetical creator of the Universe, time, space and reality than these cretins ever do should they genuinely believe 'He' would be on their side for this one.
I don't think religious fundamentalists are actually religious, especially when turns up when their private lives are revealed. God is just a beard for their selfish behavior.

roknin

Magic, bestiality, angry mob trying to kill one of the main characters, a guy falling to his death? Sure, why not - family movie!
Gay? Nope, I sure can't let my kid watch this!

Exactly.

It's really some kind of amazing when you think about it.

liquidtmd

Banned
I don't think religious fundamentalists are actually religious, especially when turns up when their private lives are revealed. God is just a beard for their selfish behavior.

Yeah also this.

Regardless of their spiritual faith, they know it's bullshit justification for hate

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Did no one ever see the original?

kyHyJnt.jpg

We will continue to show family oriented films so you can feel free to come watch wholesome movies without worrying about sex, nudity, homosexuality and foul language

so lack of sex, nudity, homosexuality and swearing are what makes a movie family oriented and wholesome? no mention of violence?

good job puritanical america

Therion

Tangential to the main topic, I thought "fou" was a derogatory term for gay in French. I don't actually know French, so I might be misremembering something else. But if it is true, that's a really dumb name for your first openly gay character.

Edit: After doing a bit of research, it appears that the feminine form of fou, "folle" is a derogatory term for a gay man. But even if fou just means crazy, it still doesn't seem like a nice thing to call your only gay character.

PSqueak

Banned
Tangential to the main topic, I thought "fou" was a derogatory term for gay in French. I don't actually know French, so I might be misremembering something else. But if it is true, that's a really dumb name for your first openly gay character.

To be fair, that was his name in his non confirmed gay incarnation too.

Hyun Sai

No. In french, "fou" means "crazy", nothing to do with gay (unless in Alabama ?).

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Last time I went to the movies with Jesus he had cut a hole in the bottom of his popcorn bucket.

eso76

From what I've read it's such a small moment it may as well have not even been talked about. Completely blown out of proportion.

I mean..Small moment or long moment, overt or suggested, what proportion is there to blow out of ? Shouldn't be an issue either way.
Unless we get to see LeFou give Gaston a BJ. That I realise wouldn't be appropriate.

That's a great way to put it. As an atheist, I've been more Christlike than a lot of Christians I grew up with. I'm missing out on a lot of hating and judging!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ironically Jesus himself never mentioned being gay is a sin

He did, however, strongly speak out against divorce, likening it to adultery. Alabama has the 2nd or 3rd highest divorce rate in the country (flips back and forth between Arkansas and Alabama, trailing Alaska)

Carnby

I can't roll my eyes back far enough for people like this. I actually know someone who thinks The Office is a "bad" show because there is a gay character.

Edit: They also say the same thing about the Call Me, Maybe music video. lol

Dirca

I can't roll my eyes back far enough for people like this. I actually know someone who thinks The Office is a "bad" show because there is a gay character.

Edit: They also say the same thing about the Call Me, Maybe music video. lol
Well, it is a bad video regardless of the gay guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom