• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama theater cancels Beauty and the Beast because of gay character LeFou

Status
Not open for further replies.

slit

I hope this becomes a regular thing in major animated releases so they can't show anything the kids want to see.

tumblr_omctg5CaY71qewacoo1_r1_540.jpg

Wait wasn't he supposed to be a lion?

Kthulhu

Spoilers

Your grandkids probably watch PewDiePie say fuck 50 times per video and watch at least 15 of his videos a day.

stupei

Tangential to the main topic, I thought "fou" was a derogatory term for gay in French. I don't actually know French, so I might be misremembering something else. But if it is true, that's a really dumb name for your first openly gay character.

Edit: After doing a bit of research, it appears that the feminine form of fou, "folle" is a derogatory term for a gay man. But even if fou just means crazy, it still doesn't seem like a nice thing to call your only gay character.

They basically named him "The Fool" and yeah a lot of the gay community is super unhappy that Disney is patting itself on the back for making the bumbling sidekick in love with the guy who mistreats him. How progressive!

And yet this lady managed to be even more out of touch.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They basically named him "The Fool" and yeah a lot of the gay community is super unhappy that Disney is patting itself on the back for making the bumbling sidekick in love with the guy who mistreats him. How progressive!

LeFou isn't a fool though - he's the flip side to Belle as Beast is to Gaston.

LiK

Funny that their excuse is that it's a family film so a gay character shouldn't be shown. It's just one theater so they can fuck off.

BlitzKeeg

This guy thinks simply acknowledging that homosexuals exists is "forcing their views on others"; who then forces his view on others by cancelling the show.

This really sums up every situation like this. These people don't want choice or freedom, or even to "love thy neighbor" like a "proper christian" would. They just want to twist those ideas to push their own bigoted agenda.

It baffles me when people willfully lose money for the sake of upholding bigotry.

Logic isn't really a strong suit in these people.

Too bad for them though. This is actually a good argument for the free market. Now people can go elsewhere to see the film and these people get to see, in actual revenue, how shitty their point of view is.

I think it's important that the portrayal of minority groups isn't restricted to "good examples". If we want genuine diverse representation of homosexuals in the media, some of the characters that arise as a result will be unflattering. Putting restrictions on these things is how we get "token character" syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom