• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alabama theater cancels Beauty and the Beast because of gay character LeFou

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinkfla87

Why would God be watching a movie in a theatre with you, anyway? Can't he watch whatever he wants whenever and however he chooses? I don't think he's purchasing discounted Fandango gift cards off of Groupon and scrounging for loose change under his throne cushion just to buy a 9 dollar box of Whoppers and sit by your intolerant ass.

Why would God be watching a movie in a theatre with you, anyway? Can't he watch whatever he wants whenever and however he chooses? I don't think he's purchasing discounted Fandango gift cards off of Groupon and scrounging for loose change under his throne cushion just to buy a 9 dollar box of Whoppers and sit by your intolerant ass.

God is everywhere and everytime at once which interestingly enough, means he's in the same room as the biggest gay orgy in all of history for all eternity.

If you start thinking along those lines you might question why god, in all it's infinite power didn't do something about gays if god actually had a problem with it.

But no, god just has to pack the shits and leave the theatre to do something else. It is up to these fuckwits to police the laws of an impotent god. The level of arrogance here is staggering.

Ladies and gentlemen, the people in charge of America.

Rayis

I yearn for the day we can have a gay character in a children's movie without bigots losing their shit.

“He’s confused about what he wants. It’s somebody who’s just realizing that he has these feelings. And Josh makes something really subtle and delicious out of it.”

Someone being confused about their identity and sexuality is "delicious"?

I mean, examining that topic is important, of course. And it's something that many people go through, and there's nothing wrong with that. But calling it "delicious" just sounds wrong.

Kenai

Was Lefou originally written as a homosexual?

Not as overtly, but there were a few lines in the original Gaston song that went over my head back then that make me suspicious that was the case.

I can't blame him either. Pretty damn attractive Disney villain.

I dunno if you really want Jesus sitting next to you at a movie, he can be a bit of a troll

kbVXCP3.jpg

One small drive in theater in Alabama refuses to show the movie.

Gaf: Fuck Alabama and fuck everyone who lives there!!!!

Cmon people, most Alabama citizens are not cartoon racist hillbillies. There are millions of normal ass folks who live there. Don't be so quick to generalize an entire state, because I 100 percent guarantee your state has some bad apples too.

EDIT: Obviously not everyone in this thread is acting like this, so if you're not then carry on.

Cmon people, most Alabama citizens are not cartoon racist hillbillies. There are millions of normal ass folks who live there. Don't be so quick to generalize an entire state, because I 100 percent guarantee your state has some bad apples too.

Exactly. I'm from Alabama as well. Though I admit, I'm guilty of hating this state and the majority of people in it. Being a liberal atheist here is hard.

On topic, I heard this story last night. To me it's textbook censorship, but no, to people here it's okay because "muh religious freedoms". I about got into a shouting match with my roommate over it.

EDIT: Obviously not everyone in this thread is acting like this, so if you're not then carry on.

The only thing that bothers me about it is literally anytime a story like this comes up on Gaf
"of course it is _____."
No matter where in the world it happens* it just doesn't make sense.
KKK story in Alabama = "of course"
KKK somewhere in California = "of course"
"____ has been shitty for years now"

*Deadly shit in Australia is the only one that applies every single time.

On topic, I heard this story last night. To me it's textbook censorship, but no, to people here it's okay because "muh religious freedoms". I about got into a shouting match with my roommate over it.
It's really stupid, bigoted and probably very hypocritical, but censorship? Nah.

It's a private company that can choose what they want to show to people. And that's fine really. Like, they're not refusing to serve a gay person. They just don't wanna show certain content.

commedieu

Banned

And most Floridians aren't floridaman either.

stigmas for states exist. Alabama has a fucked up history and present legislation. If you think people arent being hyperbolic by saying fuck everyone there.. I don't know how to continue. If you're not a person against gays in Alabama, I'd say you could chose to carry on and know they don't mean your grandmother... or all the victims of the state... or the Democrats there..

From California myself. So in southern areas I get that weird "well, you're from callliforrnia..so..." ( I assume im to fill in the rest with something gay/free thinking/liberal..etc..) I mean the state is progressive, as it's laws indicate. Im from here. Surely people know there are exceptions to things generally spoken?

I'm sure there are people that won't put up a fight, if you mess with them, in texas too...

Disney should do what they can to fuck this company out of all their releases and other distributors should follow suit and present an united front against this bigotry.

LewieP

The Theater is free to decide which films they do and don't want to show.

And I am free to call them bigots.

Edit: and yeah Disney should probably refuse to offer them other movies.

dan2026

To be honest it kind of annoys me that they felt the need to publicly announce their movie has a gay man in it.

Yeah so what? Have as many gay men in it as you want, but publicly announcing it like its a huge selling point is tacky and trashy.

To be honest it kind of annoys me that they felt the need to publicly announce their movie has a gay man in it.

Yeah so what? Have as many gay men in it as you want, but publicly announcing it like its a huge selling point is tacky and trashy.
Man it's not like Disney is running commercials saying LOOK WE HAVE A GAY IN OUR MOVIE, GIVE US LIBERAL BROWNIE POINTS. The director talked about it in an interview. This is a huge overreaction.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not as overtly, but there were a few lines in the original Gaston song that went over my head back then that make me suspicious that was the case.

I can't blame him either. Pretty damn attractive Disney villain.

He talks about nobody being as good at spitting as Gaston... about Gaston having a thick neck... about how guys would love to take Gaston's lumps.

Maybe it wouldn't necessary to talk about having one gay character in a movie if we lived in a world that didn't had fools in Alabama getting their overalls in a bunch over said movie including gay characters.

"We will continue to show family oriented films so you can feel free to come watch wholesome movies without worrying about sex, nudity, homosexuality and foul language.”

Violence is fine though, we love violence.

The hypocrisy of these morons is astounding.

Majine

Banned
The existence of people with other sexuality than mine is shoving views down my throat. I will protect everyone from reality by obfuscating truth.

Besides, it's not safe for children because homosexuals are always about that sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom