• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 took influence from Resident Evil to make players feel "more vulnerable"

R6Rider

Gold Member

"Camera perspective and things like that, yes, there are good references from the recent Resident Evil games that we did look at," Rowley says. "But not just because, oh, you know, it worked for them," the director continues, "it's more like, how does that help us build the kind of experience we want? More claustrophobic; making the player feel more vulnerable; making the enemies feel more physical and dangerous."

-

Interested in this one, but I'm only just now getting around to playing through the first (Remaster). So many games releasing soon.

Last edited:

Stafford

Its influence was immediately noticeable when they first showed gameplay. Had the beginning part of that footage not said Remedy they could have fooled me that it was a new RE. How close the camera to the protagonist was for example, it just reminded me of the RE remakes instantly.

The Fartist

Gold Member
If there's no try-hard creepy voice at the title screen going "Alan...Wake...Twoooooo", I'm gonna be disappointed.
Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think I'd be more hyped if Max Payne had more speaking experience, and could turn some of his game's promos into more than circular nonsense. For someone with no reference to the IP, all of his stage appearances have been like

It's a wonderful game called Alan Wake 2 which is named so because it's the second Alan Wake game, Alan Wake being the protagonist of Alan Wake one. In this game you play as a black female cop, who isn't Alan Wake, and at any point you can switch between this woman and Alan Wake himself at various crossover points but you don't need to switch characters at certain points, you can play the whole game with the cop but it's also Alan Wake's story because it's named Alan Wake and Alan Wake is called Alan Wake because it features Alan Wake and you carry the seven and it makes for glorious forest jungle cop bang bang horror novelist

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Alan Wake was ahead of its time in certain aspects. I replayed the og on steam recently, not the remaster and it still holds up very well. Shame the second is yet another epig exclusive, but I'll get it on PS5 if it has a 60FPS mode and its not at fucking 720p.

Bartski

Gold Member
AW blew me away on 360 when it was new but having played through the remaster recently in preparation for the sequel... some things did age really badly, especially combat. Looking forward to how they re-designed it taking all the right inspirations.

Top Bottom