• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Will Be Digital Only - Keep Price at $59.99 for Consoles and $49.99 for PC

AREYOUOKAY?

Oh how my past self would react if I told him instead of disc or game cartridges he would be forced to buy 100 TB hard drives just to play a single game. Love this poorly optimized future.

Stuart360

This is a big fuck you for many fans like me.

No disc, no buy.
748841.jpg

HL3.exe

Haven't bought physically in years. Last physically game purchase was probably 2011, Deus Ex 3 i think.

So this + a $10 lowered price because of digital only is a great choice all around.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm sure we'll see more of this as time goes on. Hopefully when games skip the physical release at launch they consider doing some kind of limited run version down the line if the sales are good. That would at least preserve the option for those that find a physical copy to be really important.

I hope people direct their anger towards the publisher rather than the developers. It’s been evident for a while that this was going to happen soon. Remedy were probably happy to just get a budget to make this, so I don’t blame them. Where as Epic can clearly afford to put it on disc if they wanted to as they one of the richest publishers going.

xrnzaaas

It would be a poor decision if they are indeed skipping disc (and also a collector's edition). Pretty much all of the bigger games still come out in physical form. The only exception I can recall is Diablo 2 Resurrected.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
No fucking way. I refuse to believe that.

Even Nintendo is releasing physical games.

You mean their 1 MB cartridges? Ok, maybe not Nintendo first party games, but empty cartridges and physical cases with only a download code is becoming more common.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

You mean their 1 MB cartridges? Ok, maybe not Nintendo first party games, but empty cartridges and physical cases with only a download code is becoming more common.
Basically this. Many don’t realize that it’s an empty disc. That or you’ll need a major huge large day one update because the disc version shipped broken

It’s useless in 2023. Useless.

I’ve got 600 games on Steam. 0% chance I’d want a physical copy for all that. Hell no. Wouldn’t take it for free

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Epic footed the bill for development, so makes sense that it’s EGS exclusive. I notice ol Timmy’s doing something right in charging us $10 less, since Epic doesn’t have to pay themselves a royalty.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Well, then fuck you, you can keep your game, I just won't buy if you don't offer a physical console release. Even Alan Wake Remaster got a physical release.

cat middle finger GIF by sneakyshapes

Will buy it at 0,99€ on PC sales years later... on GOG or Steam, maybe.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'll be okay with this if it released on GOG DRM free but it looks like this is an Epic Games Store exclusive. So I guess it's either not coming to Steam or it's not going to come to Steam (or GOG) for quite some time.

Personally I think that's an....

Epic failure.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Digital only = wait for major discount for me.

Also, LRG or someone will probably have a physical version in 2024.

Same.

If not, wait till its on PS Extra or will find "other ways" of getting it on PC.

Their way of removing an option, merely opened the door to another.

=) No love lost.

Noxxera

Wasn't hellblade digital only also? At launch? Anyway makes no difference to me since I buy and play all my games digital. It's a mistake to buy them on disc.

Unless you're a niche guy and it's your hobby then I get it (which majority on here prolly are LOL)

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Same.

If not, wait till its on PS Extra or will find "other ways" of getting it on PC.

Their way of removing an option, merely opened the door to another.

=) No love lost.

Gross. And if you are patient enough, it will be free on EGS eventually anyway.

Noxxera

Oh how my past self would react if I told him instead of disc or game cartridges he would be forced to buy 100 TB hard drives just to play a single game. Love this poorly optimized future.
...LOL? You're saying todays games are poorly optimised when they're over 50 gigs or whatever? LOL. Come to 2023 and live and not 2003.

ProtoByte

So the idiots who think games should be 60 dollars in 2099 are why single player narrative games are not getting physical releases?

Man, that crowd needs to get the fuck out.

Noxxera

So the idiots who think games should be 60 dollars in 2099 are why single player narrative games are not getting physical releases?

Man, that crowd needs to get the fuck out.

Just saying you're in minority if you want physical releases. Fact. And we all know all to well money speaks in this industry.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Oh, too bad for those that care. Doesn't affect me though... This is probably gonna happen more and more from now on

DaGwaphics

Dead on arrival.

They do realize they're marginalizing a good chunk of players, right?

Yep, the folks on submarines or even those secretly colonizing Mars will be completely marginalized, they'll have no choice. Now the people with internet that don't buy a game they otherwise want to play just because it isn't available on disk, those folks are just marginalizing themselves.

EDMIX

Without Epic, the game might not exist.

the-sopranos-tony-soprano.gif

For your edit, I'm not that clever.

I'm not really sure what game I'd ever get a digital deluxe version of.

To me, digital by default is less value to me as a gamer as I don't control much of it, I can't let my friends borrow it, I can't sell it later, I can't even have a physical thing like a steelbook to celebrate the game. So, I don't really understand the point of "deluxe" or those types of editions for digital as I already see the format as less value by default.

So I'm not saying I'll completely skip this, but I have no desire to pay full price for a publisher looking to remove options based on greed or something.

This is simply being done to force the price to remain 1 thing on the market as oppose to having used copies in circulation.

kiphalfton

Yep, the folks on submarines or even those secretly colonizing Mars will be completely marginalized, they'll have no choice. Now the people with internet that don't buy a game they otherwise want to play just because it isn't available on disk, those folks are just marginalizing themselves.

"Something something hyperbole"

bender

What time is it?
I'm not really sure what game I'd ever get a digital deluxe version of.

To me, digital by default is less value to me as a gamer as I don't control much of it, I can't let my friends borrow it, I can't sell it later, I can't even have a physical thing like a steelbook to celebrate the game. So, I don't really understand the point of "deluxe" or those types of editions for digital as I already see the format as less value by default.

So I'm not saying I'll completely skip this, but I have no desire to pay full price for a publisher looking to remove options based on greed or something.

This is simply being done to force the price to remain 1 thing on the market as oppose to having used copies in circulation.

The cosmetics are dumb but $20 for two expansions doesn't seem outrageous.

Cool on them for keeping the price cheaper

$70 15 hour single player games are a tough sell
This type of take is exactly why we keep getting boring open world $70 games with bloated content. Price to hour ratio doesn’t work because the one party who should play ball (the publishers), aren’t going to.

EDMIX

The cosmetics are dumb but $20 for two expansions doesn't seem outrageous.

I don't disagree as its a good deal if someone likes the game, but I personally always feel I need to beat it in order to know if I'll pay for expansions.

For all I know its just a once over or I don't like it enough to pay for more etc. I'm like that a lot lol Its not even that I hate some games, merely that I some times accept what the game was for what it was, liked it, have no desire to play more of it, but still liked it. I got to really like game, to pay for all of its expansions.

I don't know many IP I even feel ok with doing that with right off of the bat.

bender

What time is it?
I don't disagree as its a good deal if someone likes the game, but I personally always feel I need to beat it in order to know if I'll pay for expansions.

For all I know its just a once over or I don't like it enough to pay for more etc. I'm like that a lot lol Its not even that I hate some games, merely that I some times accept what the game was for what it was, liked it, have no desire to play more of it, but still liked it. I got to really like game, to pay for all of its expansions.

I don't know many IP I even feel ok with doing that with right off of the bat.

I wish game price would just go up, even way up, if we could get rid of bullshit pre-order bonuses and cosmetic fluff but publishers would still hammer us with these practices even if games were price at $100.

Great news. I only buy those annoying shiny discs because it’s cheaper than digital.
But with this price it is a best of both worlds scenario.

supernova8

Banned
I love how their justification for digital-only includes "look at the Series S!!!!"

and yet.. I bet it'll end up running like shit on Series S

Last edited:
Top Bottom