• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Will Be Digital Only - Keep Price at $59.99 for Consoles and $49.99 for PC

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
On one hand, I haven't bought a physical game since last year sometime, and before that instance, a solid couple of years, so I'd probably buy digital, regardless.

However, I still feel kinda hinky supporting this, because it's demonstrations like this that become weaponized against the consumer's best interest. If I download this game, it's because I download most games for convenience and want to play it. I don't download it to contribute to some chart in a board meeting demonstrating the irrelevance of physical media. But fuck me if that little drop in the bucket with my purchase is loaded with all that context. No, it'll be "Look, everyone hates discs!"

dotnotbot

Pre-order prices just went up for some regions on PS Store, I see Poland, Bulgaria, Sweden and Turkey among affected countries (price for Turkey went up more than double)

So much for regional pricing, looks like that was an error.

Mp79TfX.png

mkWsVbV.png

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Damn, the lower price of the deluxe version was somewhat acceptable. I'm starting to think that despite AW1 being one of my favorite games I'll just wait for the first sale. Been waiting so many years, couple more months won't make a difference.

Normally I'd never hope for a game to fail, but this seems like a significant move by the developer to test the waters for AAA digital-only games, so I feel forced into this position.

I mean, I know that one day all-digital is an inevitability, but it doesn't have to be right now. I need a little more time to shore up my physical game collection before we get cut off cold-turkey.

The profit margins have to be way better taking the retailer out of the equation. I imagine retailers are making at least 20% on physical game sales. I try to only buy physical

Puscifer

You're too naive, they're going to sell their 'first' digital-only game cheaper to convince people it's the way to go, but will raise the prices eventually blaming inflation / development costs / whatever. You'll still pay the same or more, just without the option of owning a copy of the game.
There's also games on steam that have gone up 5-10 dollars blaming inflation. Digital only people are suckers and bought into what pundits say about digital collections which is funny because it's not like they pay for these same digital games. Nothing anyone has said sounds different than an opinion piece, everyone pro digital clearly bought into it these ideas and it's a joke to read.

They could literally just say "We will have a physical with all DLC on Disk at a future date." and that would appease everyone.

Instead they make shit up.

Yup, these are such lame excuses, when a fair number of recent titles like Stray and Kena Bridge of Spirts had their physical release delayed by a couple of months and it worked fine for everyone.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yup, these are such lame excuses, when a fair number of recent titles like Stray and Kena Bridge of Spirts had their physical release delayed by a couple of months and it worked fine for everyone.

Plus, collectors would rather wait a month or a year to get the *complete* game on disk anyway, instead of worrying about trading in copies to get a complete edition. Literally everyone would be happy.

Top Bottom