• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Will Be Digital Only - Keep Price at $59.99 for Consoles and $49.99 for PC

coffinbirth

Is High On Life AAA? What about Monster Hunter Rise on ps5 and Xbox?
No, and it's still Game Pass exclusive anyways, and MH Rise got a physical release on Switch as it was a console exclusive for a time. Capcom claimed they had a 95% digital vs. physical quarter during that release...so probably influenced that decision. RE4 Remake got one and so will ExoPrimal.

Alan Wake 2 not getting one is odd.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No, and it's still Game Pass exclusive anyways, and MH Rise got a physical release on Switch as it was a console exclusive for a time. Capcom claimed they had a 95% digital vs. physical quarter during that release...so probably influenced that decision. RE4 Remake got one and so will ExoPrimal.

Alan Wake 2 not getting one is odd.

Just a little clarification, High on Life is not game pass exclusive, it can be bought from the XBL store, and it's definitely not an AAA game, it's a high production AA game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Based on their responses on tweeter I'd expect a physical release announcement soon.

I'm disappointed in the black female character, you know how it's going to go, she's going to be bland, the same "strong, competent" character we've seen a million times, Jesse was like that in Control, not hate worthy, but bland.

Imagine how much cooler it'd be to play as the Sam Lake character instead? This reeks of pure "this is part of how we got funding for the game by appealing to ESG" to me.

Not a deal breaker, maybe she'll surprise us, still excited about the game, but it's literally has ALAN WAKE in the title, certainly we're not going to be playing as her for the whole game, right?

It's how it sometimes is with this stuff, tolerable but not exciting, we didn't NEED to play as a black woman in an Alan Wake game and it wasn't done solely for the sake of being interesting, but Woke brownie points, I miss the days when art could be created without worrying about getting those brownie points.

Iced Arcade

I'm disappointed in the black female character, you know how it's going to go, she's going to be bland, the same "strong, competent" character we've seen a million times, Jesse was like that in Control, not hate worthy, but bland.

Imagine how much cooler it'd be to play as the Sam Lake character instead? This reeks of pure "this is part of how we got funding for the game by appealing to ESG" to me.

Not a deal breaker, maybe she'll surprise us, still excited about the game, but it's literally has ALAN WAKE in the title, certainly we're not going to be playing as her for the whole game, right?

It's how it sometimes is with this stuff, tolerable but not exciting, we didn't NEED to play as a black woman in an Alan Wake game and it wasn't done solely for the sake of being interesting, but Woke brownie points, I miss the days when art could be created without worrying about getting those brownie points.
Awkward Episode 2 GIF by The Office

DonJorginho

Banned

I miss the days when people didn't cry over seeing black people in video games.

Where's the lie in anything I said?

Did you play Control? Odds are she's going to like Jesse, bland.

Hopefully not though.

I miss the days when black characters could be written to be just as interesting as white characters without the fear of receiving backlash if you do something "wrong"

Think of how distinctive a character Max Payne was, think of the struggles he went through and the moments of self doubt and weakness he had, a black character now can only be "strong, competent", any moments of weakness are interpreted as somehow a slam against all black people, but that makes for a boring character, compare it to Luke Skywalker and his moment of devastation when he learned Vader was his father, he showed weakness, vulnerability, a character needs those moments to offer contrast for when they do triumph, that's good storytelling.

But as is usual, mental midgets just say "it's because they're black isn't it?" when you offer criticism of a black character, which is why they're written to be as bland and boring as they are.

So far this is all speculation on my part, maybe the character will turn out to have surprising depth, but we've been through this song and dance so many times before it's hard not to assume it's going to happen again.

Epic's a Woke company, this was almost assuredly a caveat to help get the game funded, not because Sam Lake organically thought it would be interesting, will he be able to make it work nevertheless? Well, here's hoping.

Last edited:
This went from launch day to wait for it to be 5 bucks with all dlc on steam. Won't support anyone that tries to pull this off. I would gladly pay the $70 on launch, but if they are telling me to eff off, then I'll tell em to eff off right back

Noxxera

Woah BRO! You sure are getting in a pissy fit for nothing. Apparently you think it’s impossible for games to reduce their file size with compression or optimization.
Yeah I wanna see the future when games and compression is so optimised for example RDR2 takes up less then 15 gig. Of course optimisation can be improved but I'm just giving you a reality check it's fully possible games will go up in size. Or maybe we've reached to peak what we can do with games now kinda (graphically). One thing is sure, they're getting more complex, and whether that will affect size I dont know.

Any by the way reading that Killzone headline makes me cringe af. You believe that garbage? You believe RDR2 (just an example) is badly compressed at 90gig? Yeah I wanna know what it had before being "compressed/optimised". It prolly was like 500gig atleast.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I mean I thought of it when I first saw her due to all the woke shit these days but...I don't really care.
A strong black female character is more believable to me in any decade then those white strong lesbian females they keep pushing down our throats.
As long as the voice actress puts in a Angela Bassett performance I'm good.
The bigger problem the game has is it's form of distribution.

I mean I thought of it when I first saw her due to all the woke shit these days but...I don't really care.
A strong black female character is more believable to me in any decade then those white strong lesbian females they keep pushing down our throats.
As long as the voice actress puts in a Angela Bassett performance I'm good.
The bigger problem the game has is it's form of distribution.
I hate that it's not debuting on Steam, but Alan Wake was never a hot seller, II is only happening because Epic is flush with cash thanks to Fortnite and decided to fund a passion project.

It is what it is, a pill you have to swallow, I'm glad the game has happened at all.

It's probably going to underperform like the first game because of the Epic Games Store, I hope Sam Lake was smart enough to write the game without assuming a part III is a safe bet, it's so unlikely for a sequel to happen at all.

adamsapple

I miss the days when black characters could be written to be just as interesting as white characters without the fear of receiving backlash if you do something "wrong"

Think of how distinctive a character Max Payne was, think of the struggles he went through and the moments of self doubt and weakness he had, a black character now can only be "strong, competent", any moments of weakness are interpreted as somehow a slam against all black people, but that makes for a boring character, compare it to Luke Skywalker and his moment of devastation when he learned Vader was his father, he showed weakness, vulnerability, a character needs those moments to offer contrast for when they do triumph, that's good storytelling.

But as is usual, mental midgets just say "it's because they're black isn't it?" when you offer criticism of a black character, which is why they're written to be as bland and boring as they are.

So far this is all speculation on my part, maybe the character will turn out to have surprising depth, but we've been through this song and dance so many times before it's hard not to assume it's going to happen again.

Epic's a Woke company, this was almost assuredly a caveat to help get the game funded, not because Sam Lake organically thought it would be interesting, will he be able to make it work nevertheless? Well, here's hoping.

Bruh relax, you're jumping at shadows over a character we know literally nothing about.

Anyway ..

FxGOfTQWIAEf4pX.png

FxGOfTRX0AAm_gj.png

FxGOfTRWIAA7two.png

Last edited:
Sad news. The original Alan Wake had a fantastic collector’s edition with a book and case file. It is the best physical edition of a game I’ve ever owned.

Ev1L AuRoN

I personally don't buy physical, but it's a shame for collectors. Maybe that is a move to avoid the used market. Hope they reconsider and launch a physical copy after the launch window.

AREYOUOKAY?

Yeah I wanna see the future when games and compression is so optimised for example RDR2 takes up less then 15 gig. Of course optimisation can be improved but I'm just giving you a reality check it's fully possible games will go up in size. Or maybe we've reached to peak what we can do with games now kinda (graphically). One thing is sure, they're getting more complex, and whether that will affect size I dont know.

Any by the way reading that Killzone headline makes me cringe af. You believe that garbage? You believe RDR2 (just an example) is badly compressed at 90gig? Yeah I wanna know what it had before being "compressed/optimised". It prolly was like 500gig atleast.
Good lord quit putting words in my mouth. No shit some modern games are going to be huge depending on who works on them. I never claimed modern or future games "HAVE TO BE LESS THAN 10 OR SO GB!" that was all you. Also no shit compression or optimization won't help certain games get them to that size, but they can still help reduce things by a lot. I was just mocking the worst case scenario digital future you seem to want for consoles with some exaggerations and you got offended by it for no good reason. You don't seem to understand that not everyone loves wasting hard drive space by filling their entire system up with just 5 or so games or having their internet data caps getting screwed. Then again why am I bothering trying to explain myself to someone unnecessarily hostile like you?

Last edited:

Noxxera

Good lord quit putting words in my mouth. No shit some modern games are going to be huge depending on who works on them. I never claimed modern or future games "HAVE TO BE LESS THAN 10 OR SO GB!" that was all you. Also no shit compression or optimization won't help certain games get them to that size, but they can still help reduce things by a lot. I was just mocking the worst case scenario digital future you seem to want for consoles with some exaggerations and got offended by it for no good reason. You don't seem to understand that not everyone loves wasting hard drive space by filling their entire system up with just 5 or so game or having their internet data caps getting screwed which is the one advantage consoles still kind of have over PC. Then again why am I bothering trying to explain myself to someone unnecessarily hostile like you?
Yeah I get why you wouldn't like to fill the whole hard drive with 5 games, I have the same issue, we can only hope the drives get a lot bigger and fast

Aight I didnt wanna seem hostile

AREYOUOKAY?

Yeah I get why you wouldn't like to fill the whole hard drive with 5 games, I have the same issue, we can only hope the drives get a lot bigger and fast

Aight I didnt wanna seem hostile
That's what I should have basically said at the start. Not like any of that matters. Even if they did somehow manage to get it to 10-20 GB when Xbox disc can fit 50 GB and PS5 disc can fit 100 GB they would still choose not to print a disc for 2 to prevent used game sales since they weren't happy with the 1 remaster sales, but they would never admit to that of course.

Last edited:

I think it’s done far more tastefully in this game than the stereotypical over the top versions we get in other games

Seems to fit the role just fine - like something out of the series True Detective on HBO

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

To even question Sam lake's writing. Not a chance in this scenario imo. Plus...a character is a character... I really don't see this shit like some do. Maybe it's me.

I've loved every remedy game, every damn one...that's why I've pre ordered. Game looks amazing.

Esppiral

The original Alan Wake is in my top 10 best games ever (f* you haters) but since there is no physical release I'll wait until the give it away a free a code with a bag a cookies or goes to game pass.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
wah wah wah, i can't handle black people in my video games wah wah wah

that's what you sound like bro, they clearly did whatever they did for reasons justified in their eyes, not everything is to fit a quota, she simply was the actress they wanted for the role, stop being so butthurt over seeing diversity in games, not everything is woke and forced.
They are epic Chinese owned now. They are waaaay past the point of making good games they want

samoilaaa

Yeah sure bud black people exist and have a right to perform roles u clown
show where i said that black people dont exist and dont have a right to perform you moron , there are many black people in games and movies and i have no problem with them , denzel washington is one of my fav actors of all time , tenet is my fav movie of the decade , im talking about changing white characters with black characters

why not make a new character thats black?

Forsythia

Preordered it in Xbox. Can't way to finally play the sequel! It is a bit of a shame there isn't a cool CE like the first game but it won't stop me from playing this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wow...QB did not suck and Control definitely didn't suck...each to their own though. Maybe their games just aren't for you.
oh these games are absolutely for me. They just suck.
I loved remedy. Max Payne games and Alan wake are my favs.
QB had terrible pacing, actors faces were punchable, terrible tv show cutscenes and lost the action tooth.
Control had good action, terrible story, terrible environments, terrible protagonist, bullet sponge enemies.

xrnzaaas

Because they didn't have to, the writers could create characters they thought who were cool & interesting and you felt that. You can also feel when the character was made to appease a certain group or to fill a mandatory checklist of things that need to be in the game.

FireFly

oh these games are absolutely for me. They just suck.
I loved remedy. Max Payne games and Alan wake are my favs.
QB had terrible pacing, actors faces were punchable, terrible tv show cutscenes and lost the action tooth.
Control had good action, terrible story, terrible environments, terrible protagonist, bullet sponge enemies.
Most of the issues you highlight in Control were style and aesthetic choices. They don't seem to be present in the very limited footage we have so far of Alan Wake 2. Control's environments were designed to be cold, barren and incomprehensible, with "characters" that were not human at all, where as Alan Wake 2 seems be continuing to tell the story of Bright Falls.

mitch1971

So they are releasing digital only to keep the cost of the game down. Then why are games 'not digital only' the same price or even more than the retail version?

Last edited:

adamsapple

At the onset of the game, FBI Special Agent Saga Anderson arrives in Bright Falls to investigate the death of Special Agent Nightingale, whom players of the first game may remember as the G-Man obsessed with pinning a crime--any crime would've seemed to satisfy the agent--on Wake. But now, Nightingale's death not only remains a mystery, it's also an especially weird one, with apparent ties to ritualistic murder. Anderson is a renowned criminal profiler made famous among her peers for an unrivaled ability to solve the toughest cases, so she's called in to identify a perp. Of course, in Bright Falls, things are bound to get weirder than that.
"We don't have that many playable characters through almost 30 years of Remedy history," Lake said. "[Creating a new protagonist] is a big event and we take that very seriously." The idea of Alan Wake 2, Lake told me, has changed several times over the last 13 years, and the team started to think about a sequel with multiple playable characters "a few versions ago."
"We wanted to be really, really ambitious with the story," Lake told me, "So having multiple points of view in the story, and having more tonal shifts with that, just felt like the right way to go. And out of that, Saga Anderson's character was born. Even though this is called Alan Wake 2, this is just as much a Saga Anderson game. They are very much at the heart of the story--both of them."

What happened to Ordinary Maine? In the song for American Nightmare a secret message was included "It will happen again, in a town called Ordinary!"

Ordinary was referenced in Control, but never seen, while I'm glad we're back in Bright Falls since it's been over a decade, I still wonder what the deal is with Ordinary, a good setting for Alan Wake III perhaps?

Top Bottom