• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 Will Be Digital Only - Keep Price at $59.99 for Consoles and $49.99 for PC

It's a big NO for me.
In this case, its not the "digital future", i think it's lack of confidence from them.

If the game do well, then I BET with you guys, they will release a disc version.

Moses85

Kevin Hart No GIF by Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud

It's a big NO for me.
In this case, its not the "digital future", i think it's lack of confidence from them.

If the game do well, then I BET with you guys, they will release a disc version.
I can't see a situation where it doesn't do far better than Control so I don't think it's that. The stats tell us most gamers have gone digital I'm not sure why forum posters are failing to grasp the realities of modern entertainment.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just thought....this games never coming to steam is it?

And now I've just thought, after control the raytracing is gonna be nuts on pc so I'm gonna have to cancel my xbox pre order and buy on Epic store?

Ffs

I can't see a situation where it doesn't do far better than Control so I don't think it's that. The stats tell us most gamers have gone digital I'm not sure why forum posters are failing to grasp the realities of modern entertainment.
I know the future is (unfortunately) digital, but in this AW2 specific case, i will keep my words.

xrnzaaas

Last edited:

Midn1ght

So Sony, MS, Nintendo, Valve, etc should publish theirs own published games for $10 less on their own stores.
Jay And Dan No GIF by FOX Sports Live

EGS Growth Strategy:
88/12 Revenue Split to attract publishers and avoid Steam: FAILED
Spending hundred of millions for timed exclusives: FAILED
Buying and monetizing Rocket League and Fall Guys: FAILED
Spending hundred of millions to give away free games: FAILED

Tim Sweeney: "I know! Let's kill physical media and give people a discount, nobody's done that before, right?"

Gabe: "Right."
84d.gif

Last edited:
Was anyone else surprised the direction Remedy have taken with the sequel? Was getting Resident Evil 4 vibes when watching the showcase.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Flabagast

Was anyone else surprised the direction Remedy have taken with the sequel? Was getting Resident Evil 4 vibes when watching the showcase.
Please let’s hope it’s a much more interesting and grounded story than RE4. But yes they went on full on survivor horror with the sequel, it’s stated explicitly that it should not be considered in the same genre as the first

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Please let’s hope it’s a much more interesting and grounded story than RE4. But yes they went on full on survivor horror with the sequel, it’s stated explicitly that it should not be considered in the same genre as the first
Yeah it definitely looks a more gritty and mature take on the survival horror genre. I'm looking forward to the extended gameplay on June 8th hopefully it impresses.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
giphy.gif

I'd wait for a physical version even if they couldn't release it day1 and even if it wouldn't be priced the same, just lemme know it's coming.
I don't think they deserve your purchase after all of this.
They burned our good will. You know the physical edition will come... will be very expensive and very late. f them

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
We, the consumer, are screwed in an all digital future. The reason digital works on PC is because it's not a closed garden ecosystem. You have a multitude of storefronts that breed competition and you also have key resellers if you want to be in a grey area. It's the same reason retailers are cheaper than digital historically, competition.

An all digital future locks us in to a single ecosystem and storefront where Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo have complete control over prices at all times. They have no incentive to offer a deep discount because there's no retailer or used game provider out there that can undercut the price. I love the convenience of digital but I hate the lack of freedom with it and in the long run we're going to end up paying more.

Last edited:

Leonidas

We, the consumer, are screwed in an all digital future. The reason digital works on PC is because it's not a closed garden ecosystem. You have a multitude of storefronts that breed competition and you also have key resellers if you want to be in a grey area. It's the same reason retailers are cheaper than digital historically, competition.

An all digital future locks us in to a single ecosystem and storefront where Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo have complete control over prices at all times. They have no incentive to offer a deep discount because there's no retailer or used game provider out there that can undercut the price. I love the convenience of digital but I hate the lack of freedom with it and in the long run we're going to end up paying more.
The console only consumer is maybe screwed, but as you say the PC user is not. Feels great to have PC as my main platform :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

For me, since PS5 is my secondary gaming device and since I don't mind waiting for Sony games to show up on PS+ Extra, it makes sense for me to be digital on PS5 also. Buying PS5 Digital saved me $100 on the console and so far I have only spent $60 on a 1-year PS+ Extra sub (still have 7 months left), which allows me to play many of the exclusives that interested me (Ratchet Rift Apart, Demon Soul's, Horizon Forbidden West, etc.) along with many other games I might not have otherwise played. Non-picky console gamer's could also probably also get away with just playing the games that come to services like PS+ Extra and Game Pass...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So weird to pass on a game you are interested in out of some twisted fetichistic sense of loyalty for a multi billion dollars profit company.

Oh well.

Not sure who you are referring to, but that's not it for me. I don't buy from EGS out of loyalty to Valve. I don't buy from EGS primarily because EGS is still shit.

Connxtion

The extra $10 for consoles is for what again?
Like above, if MS & Sony take 30% that’s £18 per sale. So they make £42 on each sale.

Still I would like digital only to be cheaper than disc based releases since there is no case or disc being produced. But digital is more profitable. Hence they ain’t releasing a physical edition 😔

Justin9mm

Amazing news. Have been digital only for about 9 years so I’ll take the ten dollar discount thanks. Hopefully more publishers will follow
Yeah but in some countries it's not a $10 discount. It's as much as $30-$40.

The problem is ppl not knowing or caring about the rest of the world except their own country and think it's all the same.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just thought....this games never coming to steam is it?

And now I've just thought, after control the raytracing is gonna be nuts on pc so I'm gonna have to cancel my xbox pre order and buy on Epic store?

Ffs
Epic funded it so it's at least justified for once lol.

But Remedy PC ports tend to be unoptimized and buggy so I decided to hold on on them until I can get them on a console anyway.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Epic funded it so it's at least justified for once lol.

But Remedy PC ports tend to be unoptimized and buggy so I decided to hold on on them until I can get them on a console anyway.

this is true! I'll hold out to see how it is but if I have to get it on epic I'll throw em a bone for making this happen.

What happened to Ordinary Maine? In the song for American Nightmare a secret message was included "It will happen again, in a town called Ordinary!"

Ordinary was referenced in Control, but never seen, while I'm glad we're back in Bright Falls since it's been over a decade, I still wonder what the deal is with Ordinary, a good setting for Alan Wake III perhaps?
They were teasing Control for sure.

They were teasing Control for sure.
Or it was the original setting for Alan Wake II before enough time passed they thought it would be more interesting to revisit Bright Falls again, this secret message is from 2012, I doubt Control was conceived that far back and since it was a message in an Alan Wake song, it stands to reason it was meant to tease a future Alan Wake game, not something else.

Plus think about it, if Alan Wake was set in Washington state in a very Twin Peaks esque town, wouldn't it make sense to then follow that up with a very Stephen King esque Maine town since Alan Wake is heavily "Twin Peaks meets Stephen King"?

But eventually development went in another direction and they just threw in a reference to Ordinary in Control as a neat little easter egg for hardcore fans like me, hopefully we will get to see Ordinary one day though, either an Alan Wake III or a Control 2.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Are they? I don't remember MPs, Alan Wake, Quantum Break and Control having very significant bugs.
This boss is so bugged I lost my patience and just did the "accesibility one shot setting" to kill it cause it never stopped crashing:

Also on Control, I gave up trying to get 100% even though I felt like trying (I almost never do but I try for some games I like a lot), but the Jukebox quest was bugged since I completed it and the game never marked it as completed, it's a bug that even affected the PS4 version and the "solution" is to start over again to see if it doesn't happen in that new save... Damn.

In Quantum Break, I was getting shadows and sky flickering when moving the camera if I set the resolution over 1440p, even if I could run it easily at 1800p or even 4K, never understood wtf was going on.

And all of them are heavy on GPU. Even Alan Wake was one of the less performant games I played back in the day on my PC.

it's a shame because they are some of the best looking games so playing them on PC should be a given.

CGNoire

What happened to Ordinary Maine? In the song for American Nightmare a secret message was included "It will happen again, in a town called Ordinary!"

Ordinary was referenced in Control, but never seen, while I'm glad we're back in Bright Falls since it's been over a decade, I still wonder what the deal is with Ordinary, a good setting for Alan Wake III perhaps?
It a reference too AWEs. Bright Falls was the center of one and Ordinary is another one referenceing Control. Its shared universe stuff not a suggetion that Alan Wakes story will continue there.

CGNoire

I’d rather play the black woman they showed. Her hair physics and detail alone look super cool.

But go off king .
And not to mention does anyone really want to play as that older lady? Like that footage from QB was most likely shot in 2014 meaning that lady who already looks a bit old* for a game lead would be near 10 years older today. The black chick looks far better as a protagonist.

*A bit unfair I know but what sells is what sells.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The only way is by physical again is if they started making big fat carts again. But they won’t so I won’t

Top Bottom