• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II New Game Plus is coming after Launch. Game will game a "Story Difficulty" Mode

Draugoth

Gold Member
The game will offer a choice of three difficulty levels, catering to a wide range of player preferences.

F9TqE2PW8AA0fD9

Retain all unlocked weapons and upgrades.
New Nightmare difficulty level.
New alternative narrative, including new Manuscript pages and new video content.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm glad this has hard difficulty from get go, in original game only had easy, Normal and Nightmare mode unlocks after you beat he game once.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
New alternative narrative, including new Manuscript pages and new video content.

Interesting. Sounds like the Curator's Cut modes in the Dark Pictures games, alternate takes of some of the same scenes in the main game.

That's one way to get people to replay.

Also, Story mode rep!
strength.png

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh. I thought there are 2 different campaigns. Resident Evil style.

Actually I have no idea, I barely watch any footage from this game.

Just to clarify.

Both Saga and Alan are playable, there is only one campaign, not a Campaign A, Campaign B split.

The way it works is that you can select either character any time and then continue their side of the story.

For narrative reasons, there will be some points (especially near the end) where you must have both stories completed to a point so they merge. But most of the game, you can choose to either completely focus on Saga, or Alan and continue their parts of the story.

Just to clarify.

Both Saga and Alan are playable, there is only one campaign, not a Campaign A, Campaign B split.

The way it works is that you can select either character any time and then continue their side of the story.

For narrative reasons, there will be some points (especially near the end) where you must have both stories completed to a point so they merge. But most of the game, you can choose to either completely focus on Saga, or Alan and continue their parts of the story.

Oh. Interesting. Thanks for the clarification!!

Danjin44

For me survival horror games is all about struggling to survive, so for me hard difficulty is only way to play this game.

It's a heavy story orientated game, like who is going to play it a second time just for a harder mode. Doesn't seem to be useful to me.
If the game is fun to play then I will play them multiple times, just like in any good survival horror games.

Last edited:

Terenty

What's the point of the Story difficulty? Just watch the game on YouTube then and save money. It's not like you can properly engage with game mechanics and see how deep or flawed it is plying on that difficulty.

So my advice to ppl playing on Story difficulty: just watch it on YouTube.

And my advice to game journos 90% of whom always play on Story difficulty: cut the crap and stop reviewing games. Thanks.

FingerBang

What's the point of the Story difficulty? Just watch the game on YouTube then and save money. It's not like you can properly engage with game mechanics and see how deep or flawed it is plying on that difficulty.

So my advice to ppl playing on Story difficulty: just watch it on YouTube.

And my advice to game journos 90% of whom always play on Story difficulty: cut the crap and stop reviewing games. Thanks.
Some people genuinely just care about the story and want to play games without any challenge. I don't get it either, but find it more bizarre to suggest to "watch it on youtube" instead of actively playing it on easy mode

Danjin44

Some people genuinely just care about the story and want to play games without any challenge. I don't get it either, but find it more bizarre to suggest to "watch it on youtube" instead of actively playing it on easy mode
I don’t mind that, what I mind is people asking EVERY game to be like that.

I don’t mind that, what I mind is people asking EVERY game to be like that.
How does this affect you? Does the presence of the choice on a menu upset you that much?

I'll be playing Story mode, probably, because I'm almost 50 years old. You hit a certain age and your thumbs don't respond as accurately as they used to. Sorry that offends you so much?

acm2000

How does this affect you? Does the presence of the choice on a menu upset you that much?

I'll be playing Story mode, probably, because I'm almost 50 years old. You hit a certain age and your thumbs don't respond as accurately as they used to. Sorry that offends you so much?
if only your thumbs were the only thing that stopped responding at that age!

Hunter 99

I would usually go straight to hard mode but when it says it is significantly challenging combat and must have familiarity with game mechanics I might save the frustration until I have done a normal run first.
Not sure...🧐

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm generally in favour of adding NG+ modes post release. Obviously this shouldn't be an excuse for offering a thin amount of content at launch, but I would argue its preferable to take the time to do it right and greatly extend the life-span of the game, over rushing to do too much and half-assing it.

Danjin44

why is giving the player the option a problem? its about allowing people of all abilities and mindsets to enjoy the game.

why is giving the player the option a problem? its about allowing people of all abilities and mindsets to enjoy the game.
Not every developers want and reality is not every game is for everybody. If you think you getting too “old” then play the games you can. Just like real like once you get old there activities you can’t do….such as life.

acm2000

Not every developers want and reality is not every game is for everybody. If you think you getting too “old” then play the games you can. Just like real like once you get old there activities you can’t do….such as life.
i generally play on whatever the default setting is and then if a games good enough i dial it up

but every game should have a difficulty to make it accessible to people of all skills, ages and abilities, its pretty simple.

Danjin44

i generally play on whatever the default setting is and then if a games good enough i dial it up

but every game should have a difficulty to make it accessible to people of all skills, ages and abilities, its pretty simple.
it’s not mandatory, at end of the day it devs choice if they want to included or not and you are free like it or hated.

I prefer Devs freedom to design their games however they want.

it’s no different than game with gore and violence, some people are not in to that but thats not devs fault.

Last edited:
Top Bottom