• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC | Tech, performance and information thread

So I bought Alan Wake on my 360 the day it released, along with RDR. I found the HUD to be too obtrusive, and never finished the game. I held on to it in case there was a patch, but despite releasing 2 pieces of paid DLC, they could not be bothered to add in an option to hide the HUD.

Now with this release, they use the hide HUD option as a bullet point for selling the game. The thing is, they implemented it in the most basic way. On or off. It would be nice to be able to turn off all the HUD except for the battery gauge.

ctrayne

I just realized this is only like the third game from Remedy, the second being Max Payne. I said wow! Really interested to see what they come up with next.

Actually, Max Payne 2 was theirs too, and IMHO their best work so far. It was just published by R*.

Ledsen

So I've got a i5 2500k@4.5GHz and a Twin Frozr GTX 560Ti. Any way to get 60 fps and still retain great graphics? Right now I've maxed everything @ 1080p and get about 35-55 fps usually. Should I just give up and settle for this?

Jtrizzy

Does anyone know how to get steam to work offline? My internet is down, and when I open steam it asks me if I want to start in online mode. From there it says it can't connect, I click ok, then an error says "this operation cannot be completed in offline mode".

Wtf is this shit, I didn't think steam required a connection?

hiverbon

Neo Member
Does anyone know how to get steam to work offline? My internet is down, and when I open steam it asks me if I want to start in online mode. From there it says it can't connect, I click ok, then an error says "this operation cannot be completed in offline mode".

Wtf is this shit, I didn't think steam required a connection?

You've got be online to go offline ironically. When online, go to File -> Go Offline, then you're good. Pretty terrible offline mode unless you can plan for downtime.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I've got a i5 2500k@4.5GHz and a Twin Frozr GTX 560Ti. Any way to get 60 fps and still retain great graphics? Right now I've maxed everything @ 1080p and get about 35-55 fps usually. Should I just give up and settle for this?

OC that baby if you haven't already, ( the gpu, it's about 10 times as easy to do than ocing a cpu ).

Put SSAO to low, put fxaa to off, put MSAA to 2. That will land you close to 60, and from there you can tweak other settings slightly maybe shadows to medium.

edit: tried out the above settings, I'm also on a 2600k@4.5 and two twin frozr 560 tis, though only one running for alan wake.

alanwake2012-02-2111-vkk9h.png

alanwake2012-02-2111-tdjih.png

Due note that there will be drops, from 60 to 40 when standing in those lights but other than that the intro seem to be going at a 50-60 rate. Which I guess is better than 35-55 as you mentioned.

Jtrizzy

This is unbelievable. So I have to be psychic and know that my internet is going to go out? Valve should be fucking embarrased, when Origin can provide offline play and they can't. What a fucking joke, you have to go online to go offline? My mind is blown.

This is unbelievable. So I have to be psychic and know that my internet is going to go out? Valve should be fucking embarrased, when Origin can provide offline play and they can't. What a fucking joke, you have to go online to go offline? My mind is blown.
No. Just make sure the game is installed and always fully close down Steam before turning off your PC and you'll be able to boot into offline mode so long as you save your credentials.

Every one gets caught or the first time, which sucks bit you shouldn't have a problem in the future. Test it once tour internet is back up.

Jtrizzy

Oh well, thanks. The power went out and killed the internet in the process so I guess that is why. Still wish there was a way around it but it sounds like I'll have to wait for the isp to fix the problem.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Not true at all; I just tested it successfully myself (closed Steam -> disabled LAN connection -> loaded Steam -> was greeted with the connection error and opted for Offline Mode -> successfully loaded Wolfenstein '09), and I once had plenty of issues with the mode. The only requirement is that Steam must save your account password.

Edit: Beaten.

Ledsen

OC that baby if you haven't already, ( the gpu, it's about 10 times as easy to do than ocing a cpu ).

Put SSAO to low, put fxaa to off, put MSAA to 2. That will land you close to 60, and from there you can tweak other settings slightly maybe shadows to medium.

edit: tried out the above settings, I'm also on a 2600k@4.5 and two twin frozr 560 tis, though only one running for alan wake.

alanwake2012-02-2111-vkk9h.png

alanwake2012-02-2111-tdjih.png

Due note that there will be drops, from 60 to 40 when standing in those lights but other than that the intro seem to be going at a 50-60 rate. Which I guess is better than 35-55 as you mentioned.

Thanks a ton! That's exactly what I was looking for. I think my GPU is factory oveclocked, but I'm sure I could push it further. Don't really feel like it now though :p I have to say that my CPU was extremely easy to overclock since I'm on a Gigabyte mobo. Simply put my multiplier up to 45 (in a Windows BIOS client no less) and the auto-voltage did the rest. Stress-tested it with prime95 and Intel Burntest and it's chugging along nicely :)

Jtrizzy

last derail post...how is that Origin gets this right but steam doesnt? Just because steam didn't shut down all the way you are locked out from all games? I have used offline mode in steam before, but because it didn't shut down properly I can't get in now.

So I bought Alan Wake on my 360 the day it released, along with RDR. I found the HUD to be too obtrusive, and never finished the game. I held on to it in case there was a patch, but despite releasing 2 pieces of paid DLC, they could not be bothered to add in an option to hide the HUD.

Now with this release, they use the hide HUD option as a bullet point for selling the game. The thing is, they implemented it in the most basic way. On or off. It would be nice to be able to turn off all the HUD except for the battery gauge.

the only thing you can't see is the number of batteries you have, which for me has never been a problem since i don't run out. you can tell how charged the flashlight is by the size of the cone, and the noise it makes as you focus it.

derFeef

Only the second DLC is paid, unless you bought the game used.

The game gives you enough audio-visual feedback so you do not really need hud, this is what makes it so much fun to play without it. The width of the cone represents your flashlight-meter, plus you get audio cues. You can also make a basic ammo check with the d-pad. Hideable hud was a huge wish among fans, so it was good they did it (AWAN has also a no hud option apparently). I am sure that if enough people mention this, they would consider patching a toggle option in.

derFeef

Patch infos!
http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7978

This week:
Fix problems of game not moving forward / triggering properly after videos. (Workaround: avoid pressing space or enter when those videos trigger, restarting the chapter helps)
Nvidia tree flicker - if we manage to catch it. We are doing our best.
Unofficial support for 640x480 and 800x600 resolution through command line
Fix that blur occasionally gets re-enabled even if -noblur specified
Add "rigidcamera" command line option for those who are sensitive to our current mouse/camera controls.
Add possibility to bind mouse buttons 4 and 5
Fix that the Developer Video Commentary volume is more sensible
Fix that Localized cinematic audio volume is not too loud and adjustable
Fix that going to menus during a cine skips the cinematic when you return to game
Fix that controller ruble works even without weird workarounds of enabling it with keyboard
Prevent binding controller keys and thus preventing weird problems
Real Traditional Chinese translation for added PC strings. Apologies for the current Simplified Chinese in menus.
Better CPU thread assignment for 3-Core AMD machines (smoother gameplay)

Next week also:
Hopefully add a free camera for those who want to explore the world
Holy moly.

edit: added PC benchmarks and game-o-meter link to OP so people get an idea how it will run. YMMV etc.

scitek

i really hope it's not constrained within the same walls that the player is. i'd love to be able to clear up, once and for all, just how big the levels really are.

and screen shot the hell out of the game all over again.

People didn't really like Episode 6, right? I thought it was awesome because there's a massive amount of space to explore.

Cool! Now I can use my PC to simulate playing a console game!

You make fun, but they had one person complain on their forums that was playing on like a 1GHz machine or something, and they're still bothering to help him out. That's pretty nice.

edit: He had a laptop with a Radeon HD3840, and he was an asshole about it, too.

People didn't really like Episode 6, right? I thought it was awesome because there's a massive amount of space to explore.

it's more like, i want to explore more in the day time. from framerates it sure seems like the town is all there when you are in the diner and the sheriff's office at day time. same with the park in chapter 2.

iNvid02

i think nvidia said after the next patch they'll be able to put out a sli profile

the new whql drivers are out today too

edit: ah so remedy might be able to get it in next week for the retail launch

Very happy with performance on my 7970 at 2560x1440 8x msaa, fxaa, etc.

on the low end I get about 40 fps but all the way up to 70-80 fps in spots.. usually around 50-60 fps, though.

I do wish there were some higher resolution environment textures.. but it's not a big deal.. especially in the darker areas of the game.

Blizzard

Banned
You've got be online to go offline ironically. When online, go to File -> Go Offline, then you're good. Pretty terrible offline mode unless you can plan for downtime.
This is not strictly true. It works offline, or used to, for some people. Unfortunately it's not all people. You can give it a try by closing Steam, unplugging your Ethernet cable, and launching Steam again. Tell us what happens -- maybe I'm crazy.

*edit* Ugh, I was way beaten. Anyway, it's unfortunately not perfect and some people seem to have problems with it, which is why I think it's something Steam really needs to improve at. I can say "it usually works for me, man", but that doesn't help you at all. =P

b0beed22kuu4.jpg

if you check the green line against maps in the strategy guide you'll see it matches with Episode 6 exactly. i firmly believe that Remedy built this whole area and cut out sections from it to make the different Episodes.

hiverbon

Neo Member
As much as I swoon at the possibility of the game being an open world, I think Remedy made the right choice to linearise it. There's still a lot of freedom to explore the world and if they'd have gone for something more open they'd have lost a lot of the great pacing and the shock/horror moments. It also doesn't fit particularly well with the episodic structure which I think is a great way to frame chunks the game.

Nekrono

Ok guys, I just finished downloading the game, what are the best settings for image quality.

I'm running @1080p with a 6950, 2500k @stock and 4GB RAM.

Xyber

Ok guys, I just finished downloading the game, what are the best settings for image quality.

I'm running @1080p with a 6950, 2500k @stock and 4GB RAM.

Max everything except FXAA and put -noblur in the launch options.

I prefer to use some FXAA to soften out the edges on trees and bushes though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
really awesome to see AW getting a nice kick start again from the pc crowd, seemed mostly overlooked on 360. love the game, love remedy, cant wait for AN tomorrow!

I know a lot of people dislike the combat in this game but I'm actually a big fan. It's all about positioning yourself in a way to keep all of the enemies in front of you and keeping each of them at bay with your flashlight. As long as you keep an eye on all the enemies it's easy enough to dodge on coming attacks and stun enemies that get in close. It's satisfying to get through large groups of enemies without taking a scratch and mistakes are just punishing enough to keep you on your toes.

Neiteio

Just picked this up and completed the first episode and WOW. As someone who deeply admires the horror genre, I'm surprised I don't see Alan Wake mentioned in conversations about the genre. This is good spooky fun! Well-written and absolutely gorgeous, too. Yet I suspect that like Heavy Rain and other story-driven titles, it won't be nearly as magical on second playthroughs once I know how it all ends. :-\ Still, the dodge and shine/shoot mechanic is great, and the feeling of moving around in general is tight and intuitive. That, coupled with the great art direction and dense atmosphere, means I'll probably be revisiting some of these chapters down the road in a "Dear Esther" sort of way, like a digital tourist. I glimpsed at the second episode and already love
Alan's apartment
; can't wait to play more tomorrow night. :)

Top Bottom