• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

Raide

DennisK4 said:
Right, because getting both solid, fun gameplay AND 720p is clearly impossible.

Well, it certainly seems that way for Alan Wake, going by the tone this thread continues to dive into. :lol

chandoog said:
No ?

this is obviously nothing as 'amazing' as pixel counting but we've already seen how HD caps from actual gameplay are somewhat cleaner than this batch of horrid blurred shots.

Eh, I'm not going to even attempt to bunk that hogwash, its already been done a dozen times. The game is 540p and will look just as blurry (if not more considering most will again be scaling the image to 768p or 1080p and displaying it on much larger screens) as those direct captures. Alan Wake uses the second lowest rendering resolution of any retail game released on the 360 thus far. So yes, you better believe that the image is going to be rather blurry/hazy/fuzzy/pixelated/lacking detail, whatever you want to call it.

Spokeys said:
Will this affect enjoyment of the game that much if it is indeed not 720p?

Yes, absolutely. If it didn't then nobody on GAF would have purchased a HDTV.

ShogunX

Spokeys said:
In a perfect Neogaf people would be crying tears of sheer joy at the fact that a new Remedy game is almost upon us, not bitching about something as stupid as resolution!

Will this affect enjoyment of the game that much if it is indeed not 720p?

The fact that the game got torn out of PC gamers hands has left many of them bitter. I mean this is the same bunch that eat up all the free stuff quality from Valve and then decide to boycott one of their games because its out a year later than the first.

Remedy are quality developers with a proven track record but none of that matters now because the game is 360 exclusive.

MMaRsu

Banned
Jigsaw said:
cod runs at 20% higher resolution than alan wake (and manages to run at 60fps without tearing,compared to not so steady 30fps with tearing)

mw 1024x600 614.400 pixel
alan wake 960x540 518.400 pixel
killzone 2 960x1080 1.036.800 pixel

Cod is also running on a modified Quake 3 engine

brain_stew said:
Eh, I'm not going to even attempt to bunk that hogwash, its already been done a dozen times. The game is 540p and will look just as blurry (if not more considering most will again be scaling the image to 768p or 1080p and displaying it on much larger screens) as those direct captures. Alan Wake uses the second lowest rendering resolution of any retail game released on the 360 thus far. So yes, you better believe that the image is going to be rather blurry/hazy/fuzzy/pixelated/lacking detail, whatever you want to call it.

Funny, because watching the gameplay videos I didn't go "damn, that shit was blurry as hell and lacked detail", and more importantly neither has anyone who has actually played the game (the response to AW's visuals has been overwhelmingly positive). IMO what you're doing is worse than trolling. You throw stones then hide your hands behind this "debate". At least keep it real.

cgcg

Raide said:
Or maybe some people are just not that fussed about numbers and would prefer solid gameplay and fun from their games?

So no HDTV then? I mean image resolution is pretty much the only reason for getting a HDTV. Gaming on SDTV don't change the *fun.*

brain_stew said:
Why do you care so much about this?

MMaRsu

Banned
cgcg said:
I'm guessing some of you don't have HDTV and only game on SDTV right? I'm guessing that's why you are fine with 540P. That's not too far from 480P.

I just want to play the new Remedy game.

Raide

cgcg said:
So no HDTV then? I mean image resolution is pretty much the only reason for getting a HDTV. Gaming on SDTV don't change the *fun.*

2 actually (1 old 720p one and a newer 1080p one) and another aging PC monitor. :lol

Well, playing Dead Rising changed the *fun* for many SDTV gamers.

shinnn

Jigsaw said:
cod runs at 20% higher resolution than alan wake (and manages to run at 60fps without tearing,compared to not so steady 30fps with tearing)

mw 1024x600 614.400 pixel
alan wake 960x540 518.400 pixel
killzone 2 960x1080 1.036.800 pixel
actually 960x547.. you are losing 6.720 important pixels! don't do that!

Shogun PaiN said:
The fact that the game got torn out of PC gamers hands has left many of them bitter. I mean this is the same bunch that eat up all the free stuff quality from Valve and then decide to boycott one of their games because its out a year later than the first.

Remedy are quality developers with a proven track record but none of that matters now because the game is 360 exclusive.

Enough with the conspiracy bullshit. The game was advertised (and hyped on these forums) as a showcase 360 title. The game was advertised as a HD game. Alan Wake in reality has a resolution much closer to SDTV than HDTV and yet you're surprised people are disappointed? Stop shrugging this off with conspiracy thereoies and stop trying to downplay it as much as you can. It is a big deal for a lot of people and it absolutely does suck and is pretty damn indefensible given the misleading nature of all offical PR material.

540p =/= 600p =/= 640p =/= 720p. Its actually a lot lower than your usual "sub HD" resolution and yes, it is a big deal and will detract tremendously from the overall quality of the graphical presentation.

brain_stew said:
Enough with the conspiracy bullshit. The game was advertised (and hyped on these forums) as a showcase 360 title. The game was advertised as a HD game. Alan Wake in reality has a resolution much closer to SDTV than HDTV and yet you're surprised people are disappointed? Stop shrugging this off with conspiracy thereoies and stop trying to downplay it as much as you can. It is a big deal for a lot of people and it absolutely does suck and is pretty damn indefensible given the misleading nature of all offical PR material.

540p =/= 600p =/= 640p =/= 720p. Its actually a lot lower than your usual "sub HD" resolution and yes, it is a big deal and will detract tremendously from the overall quality of the graphical presentation.
The fuck does it matter to you? You don't have a 360. Why do you care?

GreekWolf

Honestly, if it's confirmed that Remedy blatantly deceived their fanbase with this nonsense, then I'll have a difficult time plunking down my hard-earned pesos, on principle alone.

Red Dead on March 18th is starting to look much more appealing now.

ShogunX

brain_stew said:

In what way in my post a conspiracy theory? Its a fact that PC gamers are bitter about Alan Wake and Remedy themselves. Ive already stated in this thread that after watching the videos nobody picked up on the supposed low resolution so why is it a problem after the pixel count?

Not everybody gives a shit about the technical side of a game.

Dabanton

Compton's Most Wanted said:
I would advise anyone confused by this recent HD fiasco to see the game in motion. It's unquestionably stunning. Is it sub-HD, yes. Is it STILL a visual benchmark on consoles, yes. Killzone 2 had some absolutely ugly gameplay stills, but the game itself was wonderful from a visual standpoint.

Yeah i DL'ed the newest trailer off of the Xbox Marketplace earlier and watched it on my HDTV and the game looks lovely in motion.

Shogun PaiN said:
In what way in my post a conspiracy theory? Its a fact that PC gamers are bitter about Alan Wake and Remedy themselves. Ive already stated in this thread that after watching the videos nobody picked up on the supposed low resolution so why is it a problem after the pixel count?

Not everybody gives a shit about the technical side of a game.

Of course no one judged the image quality of the game based on a compressed internet video , likely viewed in a window in a small monitor, because that would be fucking stupid. One glance at those native framebuffer grabs will instantly tell you that the game is indeed very blurry looking. You don't have to count pixels to realise that.

brain_stew said:
I don't? I guess that machine I picked up at launch five years ago was one of those cheap chinese knock off systems then?
You really didn't seem to care all that much about how the game looked, aside from "tearing/performance" until the pixel count was revealed. What's the difference now?

M.J. Doja

Banned
brain_stew said:
I don't? I guess that machine I picked up at launch five years ago was one of those cheap chinese knock off systems then?

now all who dont like it, shut up and let brain_stew discuss his points.

even if it only concerns total graphics whores.

its not like we have much else concrete to talk about at this point.

if youre gonna assume people have agendas, try a little harder to look at what they post.

outrage over a console game's graphics? wouldnt have happened if it was on PC

Dax01 said:
You really didn't seem to care all that much about how the game looked, aside from "tearing/performance" until the pixel count was revealed. What's the difference now?

Difference is now your mad.

ShogunX

Oh and I forgot to mention the one guy in this thread (Blim) who has seen the game running in person has stated that he thinks the game is up there with the best looking games of this generation of consoles and Im more than happy to take his word for it until I get my hands on the game.

For me at least if a game is looking genuinely top notch from the videos I have watched the last thing on my mind is ''My god what resolution is this'?' It was the same for deal for MGS4.

Dax01 said:

I've been following the game for nearly 5 years now, I previously discussed the performance and tearing because those are big issues for me that could have a very detrimental effect on my enjoyment of the game. Just as a rendering resolution of 960x540 will. I was happy to finally accept the game as a 360 exclusive if they sorted those issues out, I didn't expect to have to put up with a halving of the rendering resolution as well. Its just way too far from the game I was previously expecting/hoping to play.

Ploid 3.0

MightyHedgehog said:
Most of them probably would if they didn't place all their hopes in still captures when they're going to be playing a moving game. This sort of issue will probably come up more and more as the gen goes on where lots of motion-dependent effects will get completely lost in stills...with all of the choices made with the expectation of maximized quality and performance in motion adding up to a look that doesn't necessarily flatter in a frame-grab. Tekken 6 comes across this way.

Which is why this thread need the gifs. People hate the killzone and uncharted gifs for some reason but they showed the real form of the game. You cant capture AW's amazing light effects in one picture.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
"Modern renderers don't work by rendering everything to a certain final on-screen resolution, but use a combination of techniques and buffers to compose the final detail-rich frames, optimizing to improve the visual experience and game performance.

Alan Wake's renderer on the Xbox360 uses about 50 different intermediate render targets in different resolutions, color depths and anti-alias settings for different purposes. These are used for example for cascaded shadow maps from sun & moon, shadow maps from flashlights, flares and street lights, z-prepass, tiled color buffers, light buffers for deferred rendering, vector blur, screen-space ambient occlusion, auto-exposure, HUD, video buffers, menus and so on. In the end all are combined to form one 720p image, with all intermediate buffer sizes selected to optimize image quality and GPU performance. All together the render targets take about 80 MB of memory, equivalent in size to over twenty 720p buffers."

so the final image the 360 outputs is 720p but the "50 different intermediate render targets" can render at different resolutions.

I'm trying to understand this and the best I can do is imagine a Photoshop document and each effect is a layer. Some are rendered lower and scaled (for performance?) but the final composite is 720p.

yes? no?

GreekWolf

Dax01 said:
Dude, give it a rest. It doesn't matter what his motivation is for contributing to this thread. Your primary concern should be that Remedy has repeatedly touted their product as a visual showcase, running on 360 hardware at 720p with 4xAA.

It's virtually guaranteed now that this simply isn't the case, as multiple sources have shown the game to be running at a comically lower resolution. This is a big deal, not because of the resolution change itself, but because a well-respected dev has been caught with their pants down.

uumm, so I came to this thread to express my excitement for this game especially since i never really cared about alan wake in the first place, but after reading the last few comments and people's issues with the sub-hd resolution I think i may just keep it short and say the gameplay looks promising.

regardless if the resolution sucks, i've rarely if ever, have gone into a game thinking that "i wont play __________ game because it's resolution sucks", don't get me wrong though- it's most certainly a major issue just not a deal breaking one in my opinion.

quetz67

Banned
brain_stew said:
because before HDTV there was no fun

Dax01 said:
Game looks really good in the trailer I downloaded off XBLM. I don't really see what people are so mad about.
sshhh...it cant look good if it isn't 720p. If it turns out to be 720p it will look good again.

GreekWolf said:
It's virtually guaranteed now that this simply isn't the case, as multiple sources have shown the game to be running at a comically lower resolution. This is a big deal, not because of the resolution change itself, but because a well-respected dev has been caught with their pants down.
I dont own a 360 but I am a little jealous for this game. And I love these guys for not making the game look worse just to reach a certain resolution or AA level. That is not what makes a game look good.

JaggedSac

Dax01 said:
Game looks really good in the trailer I downloaded off XBLM. I don't really see what people are so mad about.

I was wondering the same thing. I, too, downloaded that latest trailer and didn't notice it being a blurry mess.

Chrange

Banned
D4Danger said:
so the final image the 360 outputs is 720p but the "50 different intermediate render targets" can render at different resolutions.

I'm trying to understand this and the best I can do is imagine a Photoshop document and each effect is a layer. Some are rendered lower and scaled (for performance?) but the final composite is 720p.

yes? no?

More or less, yes. If you want to add a drop shadow to some text, for example, and doing it at 1280x720 uses 4MB but doing it at 640x480 uses only 1MB and the end result looks the same...which would you use? If there were no memory constraints, you'd probably stick with 720p, right? The problem is there ARE memory considerations that need to be kept in mind.

ShogunX

brain_stew said:
1024x768 is a much higher resolution than 960x540, fyi.

I really do urge you and anybody ele in this thread with any doubts to switch on your Xbox 360 and download the video ''Building a Thriller'' The same video can be found on youtube but you get a much better idea of the games visuals when watching on your TV.

The video shows a lot of gameplay and this apparent Blur is nowhere to be seen. Some games just look spectacular in motion and this is one of them. Despite a lot of doubts in this thread its obvious the game is going to receive a hell of a lot of praise for its visuals.

Pooya

Shogun PaiN said:
I really do urge you and anybody ele in this thread with any doubts to switch on your Xbox 360 and download the video ''Building a Thriller'' The same video can be found on youtube but you get a much better idea of the games visuals when watching on your TV.

The video shows a lot of gameplay and this apparent Blur is nowhere to be seen. Some games just look spectacular in motion and this is one of them. Despite a lot of doubts in this thread its obvious the game is going to receive a hell of a lot of praise for its visuals.
How do you know that video was captured from a console output and it's not like the all bullshots Remedy/Microsoft has released so far?

soco

Shogun PaiN said:

it doesn't matter how beautiful it is. it's the second lowest resolution on the 360 ever!!!!!!!!

iceatcs

Was it suppose one of DX11 or 10 showcase title? Maybe it's still great looking game but too much technical for old GPU design.

Didn't matter either way, it's look great. I can't wait get on this game.

Klocker

Karma said:
Blim has seen it running and he says it is one of the best looking console games. He is trustworthy.

yep and regardless of how it's rendered with all of the technical prowess they are using to create atmosphere from what I can see in the trailers, THAT is all that matters. It's the result on screen, not the pixel count. If the result, to a well-seasoned eye, like Blim, says that it's up there with the top 2-3 consoles games ever graphically?

that bodes well for a pretty good experience for ME on my tv.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Dax01 said:
The fuck does it matter to you? You don't have a 360. Why do you care?

He's just a troll who is probably a ps3 fanboy or a bitter pc fan. Ignore this goon. Wow so much shit for resolution Jesus Christ I wonder if you people have girlfriends.

NG28

Hopefully everyone gets it out in this thread so I don't have to wade through this sea of shit in the official thread.

Truant

GreekWolf said:
Honestly, if it's confirmed that Remedy blatantly deceived their fanbase with this nonsense, then I'll have a difficult time plunking down my hard-earned pesos, on principle alone.

Red Dead on March 18th is starting to look much more appealing now.

Yeah, Remedy really shot themselves in the foot.

Qwerty710710 said:
He's just a troll who is probably a ps3 fanboy or a bitter pc fan. Ignore this goon. Wow so much shit for resolution Jesus Christ I wonder if you people have girlfriends.

And who the fuck are you!?

Top Bottom