• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce: "The Game Awards is bulllshit. It's a popularity contest"

Laieon

She's right, but I also feel like Geoff's video game awards never felt like "the real deal".

I've said it in another thread a week or two ago, but I've always felt like The Game Awards is a hell of a lot closer to the MTV Movie Awards than it is the Oscars. The fact that occasionally we'll have 3-5 minor awards just quickly announced in succession before or after a commercial break really shows how much Geoff actually cares about the clout these awards carry. I understand he wants these to be the equivalent of the Oscars, but when marketing is really only focused around "wHaT Is GoInG to Be GOTY?" and "Look at all these cool games coming out next year!", it is nowhere comparable. I don't think that's a coincidence either, because the Game Awards feels like a spiritual successor to G4's Gphoria. An awards show that legimitely thought it was a good idea to end the show one year with a shitty Fast and Furious game trailer is never going to be "the real deal".

Personally, while it's a hell of a lot smaller and doesn't have the marketing precense behind it, I think The Game Developer's Choice Awards (or possibly DICE Awards) are the most prestigious out there.

I just don't see The Game Awards ever having something on par with Ke Huy Quan's Oscar win, just to pull out a very recent example of something that is definitely a "real deal" award and truly meaningful to someone who earned it.

Last edited:
Gaf has it's fair share of lonely men who resent women. They see an attractive woman in the gaming space, talking about games, it hilariously triggers the absolute fuck out of them. Alanah threads in particular are a fun read. It separates the men from the boys.

Most of the boys bitching about her in this very thread would freeze up if she even looked in their general direction.
Tobey Maguire Lol GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Married my high school sweetheart 28 years ago. She is/was way out of my league, but somehow I snagged her.

I don't find Alanah particularly attractive either. Not ugly either. She's got boobs, but she ain't exactly cute.
I too married my High School sweetheart but once I began playing professional Baseball she hated how much I was away and we divorced but got my son out of the deal so was worth it

Then met my current wife while rehabbing my shoulder and have never been happier.

If I could be completely honest when I was around Alanah’s age in that time frame I wouldn’t have given her the time of day, she honestly does nothing for me

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I too married my High School sweetheart but once I began playing professional Baseball she hated how much I was away and we divorced but got my son out of the deal so was worth it

Then met my current wife while rehabbing my shoulder and have never been happier.

If I could be completely honest when I was around Alanah’s age in that time frame I wouldn’t have given her the time of day, she honestly does nothing for me
You played professional baseball? Are you Curt Schilling?😉

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Are you Derek Jeeter?

RayHell

There's two types of awards. Either a popularity contest who reward gamers favorite or an elitist club who reward what's games based on their agenda.
As much as Alanah want to be part of the second type. I prefer the first one.

This is how it’s starts , someone known , starts talking down an event /game/ publisher. Then when it goes away ppl miss it and say wtf.

Aka E3

Didint she win Creator of the month award in this exact Award Ceremony 3 years ago? Guess she is salty she didnt get it again or is she trying to say she was popular once but not anymore.

Last edited:

Meifu

When I was in the nba I bagged tons of girls hotter than Alannah, she actually tried dropping in my dms once but I didn’t give her the time of day.

Glad I met my wife and we have our 4 kids all of which are offered or entering d1 programs. My oldest is going to be an nfl 1st rounder in 2024

SodaZA

Yea that's kinda what happens when anyone can vote for the winners
The oscars would look very different if the average joe and troll could vote

Skelterz

With all due respect she probably wouldn’t be as popular if she wasn’t good looking with a nice rack so she probably knows all to well about success due to popular demand, she certainly hasn’t snubbed work off on her end when it could have gone to less attractive women she’s a fucking parasite.

Hope she doesn’t read this forum, she’ll be utterly heartbroken by the number of guys we have on here who are too good for her, have done better, and don’t think she’s anything special anyway!

I get the annoyance about how prominent she is (streamer, commentator) despite having such a minor role (accessibility advisor), but there are so few women in gaming that her just about ticking the boxes makes her as desirable as one of the top men, especially when you have to find a woman to hire to avoid being labeled misogynistic

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Gaf has it's fair share of lonely men who resent women. They see an attractive woman in the gaming space, talking about games, it hilariously triggers the absolute fuck out of them. Alanah threads in particular are a fun read. It separates the men from the boys.

Most of the boys bitching about her in this very thread would freeze up if she even looked in their general direction.
Going by age polls and threads around here, most men who resent women on GAF have had terrible marriages or are currently in one.

That said, the reason behind this lady’s popularity isn’t exactly a secret, so it can be argued that when an AP thread isn’t really about games or her opinion about something, it’s completely on topic.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Hope she doesn’t read this forum, she’ll be utterly heartbroken by the number of guys we have on here who are too good for her, have done better, and don’t think she’s anything special anyway!

I get the annoyance about how prominent she is (streamer, commentator) despite having such a minor role (accessibility advisor), but there are so few women in gaming that her just about ticking the boxes makes her as desirable as one of the top men, especially when you have to find a woman to hire to avoid being labeled misogynistic
I listen to a lot of podcasts, so I tried to extend the list of shows I listen to and I stumbled into a podcast called Video Game Writing 101. In one of the episodes, she invited Tim Schafer (if I remember correctly), and her first sentence was: "Who are you, what do you do? :~~DDD

I admired Tim's composure, but as an interviewer, asking that question is like pulling someone out of your arse. Whenever I hear the phrase 'introduce yourself to the audience', or in this case the more contemptuous version 'who are you, what do you do', it shows that this is absolute amateur hour. I mean, when I ask somebody to do an interview, especially somebody who has a great track record in gaming, somebody who is highly respected, the least I can do is introduce them to my audience and not hitting a patronizing tone.

I envy the brevity of the younger generations, jumping head first into podcasting, youtube etc. But please if you have a wide reach and proper income, go to a professional and ask for advice, get some training on how to handle situations like this, get educated on decorum, etiquette and protocol. Do not copy others, because most of the people in the podcasting space are monkey level at best. They can't ask proper questions, they repeat back what the subject told, they let the subject talk for 20 minutes straight on offtopic things, and just plain boring (can't comment on this podcast, because I stopped after 15 minutes or so because of high blood pressure).

Edmund

I was watching a YouTube video of her on my mobile and I wanted to switch to full screen but her boobs are so big I accidently pressed on her boobs instead of the full screen icon at the bottom right corner.

Last edited:

Embearded

I watched the video, doesn't say anything wrong or provocative, even goes on to explain a few things about juries and how these things usually work. Seems like she knows what she is talking about, but i have no idea about awards.

Also, if Hogwarts Legacy is not in any category they suck pretentious cock.

Kenpachii

So basically its a popularity contest, if a game is heavily advertised and played it will naturally get voted more because people simple otherwise don't know about the games.

About it being rigged and hogwarts not being on it is nothing jeff can do anything about.

Well i can tell you this, if i had a company and a bunch of loons will start harassing me online and put a crusade against my company that have a big reputation in the industry, i will for sure second guess its nomination. And that could already happen earlier in the chain.

At the end of the day, hogwarts was a juggernaut in 2023 and got absolute nothing to show for it, makes the results speak for itself that its most likely the case.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Were you there when marge schott (sp) was forced to sell?

my mom grew up in blue ash but I was not in Cincy.
I could never say enough bad stuff about her and I retired in 2000 after the 1999 season and that was the year she was finally forced to sell.

I love dogs, I am a huge dog person but hated her dogs as she let them piss and shit on our field and we had to clean up after them.

She used the N word in front of black players calling them something like "Her rich Ns" whatever her exact words were not totally sure.

She HATED we swept the As in 1990 because she wanted the revenue for us to come back and play in Cincy and she would not pay for a celebration for us players, our celebration "dinner" was we all ran out and grabbed fast food and ate together

She had Nazi memorabilia openly displayed in her home as she would have players come to her house and move furniture and some of us lower paid players were afraid to say no

Just some of the highlights :)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I could never say enough bad stuff about her and I retired in 2000 after the 1999 season and that was the year she was finally forced to sell.

I love dogs, I am a huge dog person but hated her dogs as she let them piss and shit on our field and we had to clean up after them.

She used the N word in front of black players calling them something like "Her rich Ns" whatever her exact words were not totally sure.

She HATED we swept the As in 1990 because she wanted the revenue for us to come back and play in Cincy and she would not pay for a celebration for us players, our celebration "dinner" was we all ran out and grabbed fast food and ate together

She had Nazi memorabilia openly displayed in her home as she would have players come to her house and move furniture and some of us lower paid players were afraid to say no

so yes you did play for ol Marge.

j0hnnix

Gold Member

If only you said Cleveland.

charlie sheen film GIF

GymWolf

Hogwarts legacy is rated 84 on metacritic, all other goty nominees are in the 90s. Maybe in a bad year like 2021 it gets nominated, but this is the greatest year in 2 decades. Ff16, Star Wars, Diablo 4, street fighter 6, pikmin, dead space, hifi rush all reviewed better than hogwarts and didn’t make the Final Cut.

And even at 84, hogwarts is massively overrated. It is a painfully average game with a boring story. It is a 7 at best. If you nominate this, you nominate every ubisoft game. If you play spiderman 2 and hogwarts back to back you will see just how poorly hogwarts campaign is structured, how lame the storytelling is and how much better insomniac is at making a narrative driven video game.

And maybe just maybe those zelda, mario, resident evil and Spider-Man games are well made and better than the other games released this year. In 2021, it takes two won the award over metroid, ratchet, and resident evil 8. Last year elden ring won over gow and horizon sequels while stray was nominated because last year.

I really don’t understand this. The best game of the year has won this award every year save for two when uncharted 4 and death stranding didnt win. This award has been in lockstep with the critics and gamers alike. There is zero controversy here.
I was with you until the spidey 2 comparison that supposedly has better pace and better writing in the campaign...like what?

Just the bit with scream and pussy peter asking forgiveness is worse than ANYTHING inside hogwarts writing wise and hogwarts doesn't really has dogshit slow sections like the lab, the luna park or the jawline parts (5 of them in case you forgot)

Having qte infested setpieces with no gameplay value whatsoever is not better pacing dude, just your personal preference.

Both games are overrated and really a 7\10, don't fool yourself.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

All the male commentators are successful in the business based solely on their ability / expertise / personality, not their body. If 99% of her appeal is because she exploits her sexuality then that's what she deserves to be judged on isn't it? She chose that, I didn't. Men can't do what she does. Men can't go into female spaces, show some skin and have women drooling at them, it doesn't work that way. There are no female incels, any woman not getting any is because doesn't want to, or because her standards are too high.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I understand vitriol towards the handful of women in gaming who tried to tear down everything good about the medium, but when similar vitriol extends toward women who aren't causing that kind of trouble and are merely existing while attractive, it comes off as much more of a personal problem with the reactionaries themselves.

Yes, generally speaking, men are more likely to sit in a dank cave for 16 hours a day over a decade peeing into water bottles and becoming an expert in video games, while women are more likely to find a social angle where they can talk to people and be pretty. Both approaches are fine and both add value.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I understand vitriol towards the handful of women in gaming who tried to tear down everything good about the medium, but when similar vitriol extends toward women who aren't causing that kind of trouble and are merely existing while attractive, it comes off as much more of a personal problem with the reactionaries themselves.

Yes, generally speaking, men are more likely to sit in a dank cave for 16 hours a day over a decade peeing into water bottles and becoming an expert in video games, while women are more likely to find a social angle where they can talk to people and be pretty. Both approaches are fine and both add value.

I feel attacked.

TVexperto

I'm not sure what's more baffling, the fact that Allanah Pearce thinks NFTs are the future of gaming or the fact that she got hired as a video game writer. I mean, have you read her stuff? It's like a toddler wrote it after mainlining Mountain Dew and Skittles.

I'm not even surprised she's getting criticized. She's like a walking PR disaster for the gaming industry. I'm just waiting for her to start shilling for loot boxes next.

Here's a tip for Allanah: stick to playing video games and leave the writing to the professionals. Because you're about as qualified to be a video game writer as I am to be a surgeon.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So basically its a popularity contest, if a game is heavily advertised and played it will naturally get voted more because people simple otherwise don't know about the games.

About it being rigged and hogwarts not being on it is nothing jeff can do anything about.
This doesnt make any sense. If the VGAs are a popularity contest based on how many people played it then hogwarts shouldve been nominated, no?

These awards are voted on by a selection of 120 media publications and critics. They also hand picked the nominations. hogwarts didnt get in because its not very good. do a poll on gaf and ask them to name two side characters or the name the villain and see the responses you get. its as forgettable as a ubisoft game.

the boycott among the woke publications likely didnt help, but it was never a game that was going to be nominated for goty. no matter how popular it was. we will see how many fan awards it wins but i highly doubt gamers would choose it over zelda, baldurs gate, re4, mario and spiderman 2. at best it will rank in the top 10.

Madflavor

I'm not sure what's more baffling, the fact that Allanah Pearce thinks NFTs are the future of gaming or the fact that she got hired as a video game writer.

Alanah Pearce was against NFTs. If she ever supported the idea of them, I must have missed it, and it probably was some thing she said very early on, because she's made multiple anti-NFT statements. She's friends with Troy Baker and she openly criticized him when Troy tweeted in support of NFTs.

No need to white knight. Nothing wrong with people refusing to simp and stating the obvious. That's a real man.

It's not like these people obsessively follow her and harass her about it. Now, that would be a bitch move.

Shitting on men sperging out over a woman =/= white knighting.

How is talking about Alanah's message instead of negatively commenting on her looks and body, "simping" for her? She's literally just sitting in front of the mic, in a full t-shirt, talking about the VGAs. You're suppose to laugh at and call her names instead? That's what a "real man" does?

Top Bottom