• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albion Online |OT| Craft. Trade. Conquer.

LProtag

Alright, giving it a try. Hoping it brings back memories of Ultima Online.

What 'path' is everyone going down? I might try out some sort of archer/crowd control thing. I don't know, haha.

Apt101

What 'path' is everyone going down? I might try out some sort of archer/crowd control thing. I don't know, haha.

I'm focusing on crafting, but I am going to work on my mage pyromancer staff as well as a holy (healing) staff - alternating. Armor I don't know - tier II for both leather and cloth now.

Thinking either daggers or quarterstaff. I've seen some gameplay of both that seems very fun!

Unfortunately can't play until next week so I'll spend some time this weekend reading more into builds and such.

SRTtoZ

Honestly I like a lot of the ideas but the main thing turning me off is how its also a mobile game and I have a feeling that will hamper the PC version down the line sort of like PS3 held back ffxiv. I'm going to wait for now since the queues seem to be crazy and there is a ton of people playing but I will keep a close eye on it.

Jams775

Honestly I like a lot of the ideas but the main thing turning me off is how its also a mobile game and I have a feeling that will hamper the PC version down the line sort of like PS3 held back ffxiv. I'm going to wait for now since the queues seem to be crazy and there is a ton of people playing but I will keep a close eye on it.

Well, the graphics are like circa 2004. I think it's a good thing they're going for something that'll let people with shitty PC's or tablets run it. It really feels like a UO or Runescape, but maybe not so much UO (can you craft a chess board?).

SRTtoZ

Well, the graphics are like circa 2004. I think it's a good thing they're going for something that'll let people with shitty PC's or tablets run it. It really feels like a UO or Runescape, but maybe not so much UO (can you craft a chess board?).

Watching a few streams there seems to be SO many players. Do you think they should have went with separate shards/servers? I feel like there is someone on every square inch of the map.

Sounds interesting, but loot on death? Ugh.

This excites me. I'm tired of safe shit. Love losing loot on death so there is some risk involved like old school UO or EVE Online.

Jams775

Watching a few streams there seems to be SO many players. Do you think they should have went with separate shards/servers? I feel like there is someone on every square inch of the map.

This excites me. I'm tired of safe shit. Love losing loot on death so there is some risk involved like old school UO or EVE Online.

Yeah it's pretty annoying and messed up right now. WAYYYY too many people for the size of the areas. I don't know what the solution would be but they need to come up with something soon.

Edit:
Well I think there are only PvP areas where you risk it for better harvest node. I'd imagine those are the areas you'd go with protection (like in EvE). There was also a button I saw on my UI for Friendly/Hostile. Not sure what those do?

Just got the mule! Now I need to get some quality 2 leather for my beginner equipment

only thing I'd like the map to be more useful, like showing the mining nodes you've discovered. For now it's just an empty layout without any kind of information

HowZatOZ

Banned
So with regards to knowing what skills are offered by what equipment, the skill tree actually lists all of that (B in game). In each of the tiered types you'll find various abilities or passive upgrades upon reaching certain levels of that skill. Note that each skill does need to be levelled "twice" which sounds confusing but just think of it like needing to get to the level to know what the skill is then levelling it to actually learn it.

Don't worry about adventuring ones, they will just unlock passively as you play because of them being based on killing enemies. As has been mentioned if you are coming in not completely knowing your desired character playstyle that's okay, just be aware that branching out too much can be harmful early on in being efficient.

Yes it does suck that there isn't a free trial, I know quite a few that would jump in given a chance to test the game before buying. It might be offered down the track but who knows right now. I don't see this game as going free anytime soon despite having the premium status at launch. Like I mentioned it's more to do with getting stuff quicker rather than outright gating non-paying players like a lot of other MMOs. And being that you can buy it with in-game silver it ain't that hard either to afford it.

This game is more PvP structured then other sandbox MMOs, that's a given. But, you do not have to do PvP at all if you don't want to. It will be just the case that accessing the higher tier resources will require you to use the auction houses or barter with players, in part thanks to the player driven economy.

Essentially if you like RuneScape you'll like this. It's why I fell in love with it because it felt to me like an MMO that I can play my way and not be scorned for doing so. The fact I can go out to my personal island, set up an animal farm and breed horses or ox for others to purchase is so awesome.

Oh, and servers. Each town you go into is shared by the way. One big server but it's sharded in all zones and also I believe they have various geographic servers linked in. I'm not 100% on that last bit though but here in Brisbane, Australia I'm getting roughly 100-150ms.

Apt101

It's actually not that bad. Not as bad as old school UO at least.

In yellow zones if someone "kills" you, you merely take a knee for a while and lose some item durability (do not choose "die", just wait for the timer to expire). After a time "downed" you recover with an immunity bubble for a few moments so you can escape if needs be. You lose nothing. People attacking others lose rep, until they're unable to enter blue (no PvP) zones.

Red zones are the same, only downed people can be executed and lose everything. Reputation losses for that is even steeper.

Black zones are all out warfare and full loot on every down/death. No rep losses.

I've heard people more focused on PvE and social aspects won't really need to step into red or black zones unless they want to. There are some high level crafting mats and what not in them, but they can be purchased from the auction house. Or, they can just join a large group via their guild and/or alliance and venture in.

---

On another note I'm making good progress. My farm is live, but I need to work on harvesting before I can buy animals for my pasture (and also so I can harness my transport ox and move my base of operations closer to Lymhurst where my island is located). I have a cooking building on my island as well. Not sure how much food I have to keep in it, over 3k now an in 1.5 hours it didn't decrease.

Almost a Chef, tier II or III on most everything. Working on getting my house to level 2. I want to make it a self-sustaining crafting locale for our eventual guild, so new players who want the forest setting near Lymhurst can use it for crafting for basically just the cost of upkeep (like a 2-5% tax? Not sure what that would be yet).

It's actually not that bad. Not as bad as old school UO at least.

In yellow zones if someone "kills" you, you merely take a knee for a while and lose some item durability (do not choose "die", just wait for the timer to expire). After a time "downed" you recover with an immunity bubble for a few moments so you can escape if needs be. You lose nothing. People attacking others lose rep, until they're unable to enter blue (no PvP) zones.

Red zones are the same, only downed people can be executed and lose everything. Reputation losses for that is even steeper.

Black zones are all out warfare and full loot on every down/death. No rep losses.

I've heard people more focused on PvE and social aspects won't really need to step into red or black zones unless they want to. There are some high level crafting mats and what not in them, but they can be purchased from the auction house. Or, they can just join a large group via their guild and/or alliance and venture in.

---

On another note I'm making good progress. My farm is live, but I need to work on harvesting before I can buy animals for my pasture (and also so I can harness my transport ox and move my base of operations closer to Lymhurst where my island is located). I have a cooking building on my island as well. Not sure how much food I have to keep in it, over 3k now an in 1.5 hours it didn't decrease.

Almost a Chef, tier II or III on most everything. Working on getting my house to level 2. I want to make it a self-sustaining crafting locale for our eventual guild, so new players who want the forest setting near Lymhurst can use it for crafting for basically just the cost of upkeep (like a 2-5% tax? Not sure what that would be yet).

Around how much did it cost you to set up your personal island alongside the farm? Also, what's the best way to get an ox? It's so expensive on the market right now.

Jams775

Is studying the option you want when leveling a skill like crafting staves as opposed to just spam crafting the item?

Apt101

Around how much did it cost you to set up your personal island alongside the farm? Also, what's the best way to get an ox? It's so expensive on the market right now.

I can't remember, and I am away from home right now to check. I want to say it was about $150k silver to get it to level 3 (which has two farm plots), about another $800 silver to lay down plots, and lots of tier 1 - 3 materials to complete construction of the plots. It didn't take me long, perhaps three hours to get a house, farm plot, pasture, and cooking building.

I know that one can eventually raise animals on their pasture, but I am a long way from it. I'd suggest checking the auction house in each starting city and each major city - they're not connected. I bought one for 38k silver (ish), while in a city over they were 100k+. If you need some silver I can throw a bit your way, they appear to have boosted me to the next founder level and I have gold coming out of my ears.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As interested as I am in this, the whole Red/Black zone PvP for high tier crafting materials turns me off. It's why I lost interest in Aion...Near mandatory PvP stuff for progress.

SRTtoZ

How hard is it to get a horse if I buy the cheapest package or the mid tier? Kind of shitty only the $99 package includes horse + rickshaw.

Apt101

Is studying the option you want when leveling a skill like crafting staves as opposed to just spam crafting the item?

Veteran players probably have a better strategy, but I craft items then use focus studying them. Kind of doubles up the gains.

How hard is it to get a horse if I buy the cheapest package or the mid tier? Kind of shitty only the $99 package includes horse + rickshaw.

One can complete the introductory quests, which serve as a kind of tutorial, and are awarded a donkey at the conclusion - the same donkey you have probably seen hundreds of people riding. Otherwise you could trade gold for silver (via an automated system, and the values change based on the market) and purchase a starter horse. Last I checked they're cheap.

Jams775

Veteran players probably have a better strategy, but I craft items then use focus studying them. Kind of doubles up the gains.

One can complete the introductory quests, which serve as a kind of tutorial, and are awarded a donkey at the conclusion - the same donkey you have probably seen hundreds of people riding. Otherwise you could trade gold for silver (via an automated system, and the values change based on the market) and purchase a starter horse. Last I checked they're cheap.

Okay, That's what I did. Though now that I got my tier 3 stuff, I think I'm going to focus on either druid/priest and maybe gathering related resources like fabrics and wood. Not sure if I want to even delve into crafting my own gear or staves, etc. though I might focus down on one thing like staves or cloth armor. Not sure yet.

Also the mule you get is really good enough to travel from area to area without being too annoyingly slow like normal run.

I can't remember, and I am away from home right now to check. I want to say it was about $150k silver to get it to level 3 (which has two farm plots), about another $800 silver to lay down plots, and lots of tier 1 - 3 materials to complete construction of the plots. It didn't take me long, perhaps three hours to get a house, farm plot, pasture, and cooking building.

I know that one can eventually raise animals on their pasture, but I am a long way from it. I'd suggest checking the auction house in each starting city and each major city - they're not connected. I bought one for 38k silver (ish), while in a city over they were 100k+. If you need some silver I can throw a bit your way, they appear to have boosted me to the next founder level and I have gold coming out of my ears.

Thanks for the info! I was gonna say, I have nowhere near that amount of silver lol

I was so happy when all my stuff I sold at Ft. Sterling sold for around 30k!

I'd feel bad about taking your silver so maybe we can use that money if we ever get a gaf guild going.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Thanks for the info! I was gonna say, I have nowhere near that amount of silver lol

I was so happy when all my stuff I sold at Ft. Sterling sold for around 30k!

I'd feel bad about taking your silver so maybe we can use that money if we ever get a gaf guild going.

Once you get on a roll with whatever profession you decide to take up you'll start raking in the silver. At least, while the game is still fresh and you have a larger quantity of people just buying from auction house to get their skills up as quick as possible. Line them pockets with silver from those who do not care to wait.

Bought it today and downloaded the android app, played all day on my phone because I couldn't get upfront of a computer. Works pretty brilliantly on my s8+

Once you get on a roll with whatever profession you decide to take up you'll start raking in the silver. At least, while the game is still fresh and you have a larger quantity of people just buying from auction house to get their skills up as quick as possible. Line them pockets with silver from those who do not care to wait.

Yeah, think I'm going to try and make money by selling some T4 cloth gear.

Bought it today and downloaded the android app, played all day on my phone because I couldn't get upfront of a computer. Works pretty brilliantly on my s8+

That's awesome! Yeah, I'm surprised at how well it works on mobile. Pretty crazy actually.

Moff

So I got the donkey and now I need a guide. I am intrigued but I am playing this kind of game for the first time. No idea what to do or how the mechanics work.

So I got the donkey and now I need a guide. I am intrigued but I am playing this kind of game for the first time. No idea what to do or how the mechanics work.

I posted up a link to some short guides from the official site in the thread. Those should help you get started.

Is there a best location to buy an island?

Nope. It all depends on what you want to do. The areas around each of the major cities have specific gathering materials they have available. Just look on the top right of the map when you have an area selected.

I posted up a link to some short guides from the official site in the thread. Those should help you get started.

Nope. It all depends on what you want to do. The areas around each of the major cities have specific gathering materials they have available. Just look on the top right of the map when you have an area selected.

I suppose it's better not to buy it near the starting cities? For long time terms

Menome

For just over £20, I figure I can at least give it a go. Seems like it'll be a nice relaxing podcast/listening to music game.

Won

Good to see some of the more promising kickstarter titles coming out, though I have never actually followed their development.

Feel compelled to give it a shot because of sandbox, but I'm still busy with other stuff.

I'm so stupid, I thought that the island where you can build were like instances, instead they are the areas where you gather stuff right?? I guess it's better to build one in a higher tier zone?

Apt101

I'm so stupid, I thought that the island where you can build were like instances, instead they are the areas where you gather stuff right?? I guess it's better to build one in a higher tier zone?

You can build in cities (not starter zones), and on your private island (if you decide to purchase one). You cannot build in the wilds .Your private island is an instance and has no taxes for upkeep. Where you build is really preference. It usually comes down to proximity to PvP areas, what biomes are nearby, and how far away your guild hall is.

People have gobbled up the space in cities but they will make larger maps (they say) and more areas to build. If you decide to use a private island you can fast travel to any other city from you island, and vice versa (though there's a cost if it's not your home city).

I have upgraded my home in Lymhurst to level 2, so I can have two roommates. It's not worth living in yet though. Once I construct a few more crafting buildings and place a chest for other users I'll let you guys know, in case any of you need a home in Lymhurst while you save up silver for your own (I was a founder so I have a ton of gold, it let me get a major head start).

You can build in cities (not starter zones), and on your private island (if you decide to purchase one). You cannot build in the wilds .Your private island is an instance and has no taxes for upkeep. Where you build is really preference. It usually comes down to proximity to PvP areas, what biomes are nearby, and how far away your guild hall is.

People have gobbled up the space in cities but they will make larger maps (they say) and more areas to build. If you decide to use a private island you can fast travel to any other city from you island, and vice versa (though there's a cost if it's not your home city).

I have upgraded my home in Lymhurst to level 2, so I can have two roommates. It's not worth living in yet though. Once I construct a few more crafting buildings and place a chest for other users I'll let you guys know, in case any of you need a home in Lymhurst while you save up silver for your own (I was a founder so I have a ton of gold, it let me get a major head start).

But I'm pretty sure to have seen a building owned by another player in the wild.
Is there a page where I can see where I can build? I still don't understand this part of the game xD

But I'm pretty sure to have seen a building owned by another player in the wild.
Is there a page where I can see where I can build? I still don't understand this part of the game xD

Those aren't islands though. Those are land plots people can purchase and build public or private shops. People set up taxes at the shop to make money off of them in the cities.

These plots go on auction every week I think? I forget.

I think guilds can also buy plots of land in the wild but not entirely sure what those are for.

This site is pretty much a database of everything in the game, maybe it'll help

https://www.albiononline2d.com/

Apt101

Perhaps guilds are able to purchase land in the wilds. I looked for a tutorial on the main site but didn't see one.

LProtag

Just hit T4 and the grind is real.

I think I'm focusing on wearing hunter clothes, using a sword, and lumberjacking/toolmaking. If anyone's looking for axes or lumber, I need ore. There's no way you can keep crafting all the stuff you need to be self-sufficient, haha.

I sold the 2000 gold you get, which gives you a lot of silver. Bought an Ox. Exploring and finding trees. Seems like I'm finding more pine than chestnut. I've been selling Journeyman Axes for like 5 silver below the lowest price and they go fast, so I've got a somewhat steady income stream.

Not really sure what to do now, haha.

So let's say I'll move to Martlock since is the nearest city from me, I'm going for a double dagger/assassin path, so I guess I should look if near the city there are zones with tier4-5 leather/metal? And then decide if I want to buy an island there?

So let's say I'll move to Martlock since is the nearest city from me, I'm going for a double dagger/assassin path, so I guess I should look if near the city there are zones with tier4-5 leather/metal? And then decide if I want to buy an island there?

Correct! If you're crafting benefits from leather/metal and they're available in the zones near your city, then that's a good place for your island.

You can also build the shops in your island so you won't have to be paying taxes at other people's shops.

This site is pretty useful for this

http://albionhelper.com

Apt101

I can raise Ox's now :D My chickens are almost grown too. I think I need to stop focusing so much on my island and get back to crafting so I can get tier IV cloth.

Correct! If you're crafting benefits from leather/metal and they're available in the zones near your city, then that's a good place for your island.

You can also build the shops in your island so you won't have to be paying taxes at other people's shops.

This site is pretty useful for this

http://albionhelper.com

Thanks! What's the difference between a horse and an ox? I see the ox can carry more, is that it?

edit: wow, there's a map with location of resources? Neat!

I sold the 2000 gold you get, which gives you a lot of silver.

You did a mistake here, I'm afraid :(

Gold will be more valuable later. The price is tied in the player driven economy. There's a post about gold economy in their site. If I remember this right.

Oh, by the way, everything you loot from the NPCs is made by players. There is a "black market" merchant that buys gear from players and gives it to the baddies :eek:

There's a detailed explanation in their homesite, really interesting mechanic.

EVERYTHING is made by players, I find that really neat.

LProtag

Cuningas de Häme;244205056 said:
You did a mistake here, I'm afraid :(

Gold will be more valuable later. The price is tied in the player driven economy. There's a post about gold economy in their site. If I remember this right.

Meh. I was able to buy an ox and an island with the ~160k silver I got, with plenty left over.

I ended up buying an ox for 26k from Caerleon...so I had to ride it back to the city I'm stationed currently, Thetford.

I had to go through a couple red zones and I was freaking the fuck out. Really didn't want to lose that ox I just paid for.

Apt101

I ended up buying an ox for 26k from Caerleon...so I had to ride it back to the city I'm stationed currently, Thetford.

I had to go through a couple red zones and I was freaking the fuck out. Really didn't want to lose that ox I just paid for.

Good job :D That must have been harrowing / exciting

I'm now a cook, raising horses, and after dinner I think I'll be able to reach T.IV for cloth armors and holy stave crafting. So much to do. I wish my BFF would play so we could work on the same structures and goals together but he has "a family" and "responsibilities" uggghh.

Top Bottom