• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

Wtf @ posting about Halloween amidst this.

I get that life has to move on at some point but holy shit. Give it a year at least.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't see an issue with them celabrating Halloween. They have kids and keeping some normalcy for them is important.

For his wife to share it publicly in these times though, now that is some bone headed bullshit.

Right. Gotta make the kids feel normal. Did people expect that the whole house should have a dark cloud over it with everyone constantly wearing black and with a sad mope facial expression 24/7? Even the wife and kids?

Posting like everything is normal was boneheaded on her part, though. Makes them seem callous.

Baldwin has made some strides in repairing the damage he inflicted with his other daughter and relationships with his kids... Which is probably why he has been getting work nowadays...

Thaedolus

Hilaria is hilariously idiotic and moronic, and Alec is just as dumb to be under her heel. You can still give the kids their Halloween without broadcasting it over social media, but the retard ‘Hilaria’ simply cannot help herself.

Yeah this lady just reeks of attention whore. No matter the context, eyeballs are eyeballs. Other concerns are so secondary they may as well be non existent

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't see an issue with them celabrating Halloween. They have kids and keeping some normalcy for them is important.

For his wife to share it publicly in these times though, now that is some bone headed bullshit.
Especially showing family life going on knowing that there is a kid of similar age to theirs who just lost their mother. It is brutally insensitive to post this publicly to be honest.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Especially showing family life going on knowing that there is a kid of similar age to theirs who just lost their mother. It is brutally insensitive to post this publicly to be honest.

His wife is incredibly stupid. I don't understand how he isn't pulling his hair out every day with her.

I feel sorry for him that he's going through a trauma like accidentally killing someone and his wife is trying to act like everything is normal.

McCheese

I feel sorry for him that he's going through a trauma like accidentally killing someone and his wife is trying to act like everything is normal.

I lived in Hollywood long enough to know that some people see themselves as literal gods, it's not that they are being insensitive; they don't think regular folk are even real people but just NPCs in their own personal videogame.

CGiRanger

Banned
I lived in Hollywood long enough to know that some people see themselves as literal gods, it's not that they are being insensitive; they don't think regular folk are even real people but just NPCs in their own personal videogame.
It certainly explains the behavior. No one would bat an eye about him and his family hunkering down out of the spotlight and trying to get some comfort out of life after a tragedy.

But instead, they go and broadcast it all over the world with their pictures to showcase just how wonderful they are, and that people should be in awe of them. Which again makes his actions regarding the shooting/production and whatever all the more suspect as far as his ethics and morals go.

Last edited:

McCheese

It certainly explains the behavior. No one would bat an eye about him and his family hunkering down out of the spotlight and trying to get some comfort out of life after a tragedy.

But instead, they go and broadcast it all over the world with their pictures to showcase just how wonderful they are, and that people should be in awe of them. Which again makes his actions regarding the shooting/production and whatever all the more suspect as far as his ethics and morals go.

Unless you have as many accolades, as big a house and as large a car collection - you are not human to them. He head-shotted one of his own staff and waved it off as just a one-in-a-billion thing and that we should feel sorry for him. Let's just ignore that he was producing the film, he hired the people who supplied the gun, he kept filming going after a walk-out that very morning, then he picked up the gun and pulled the trigger. He will be far more worried about how it'll affect his social circle with people who matter, than how that woman's family are affected. "How much do I have to pay" is probably the only thought that crosses his mind for that poor woman.

Last edited by a moderator:

daveonezero

Banned
This is very informative about the procedure in movie set. Also goes over live ammunition and dummy ammunition.
A must watch for!

He didn't say anything new to this thread. The assistant Director shouldn't have been handing off the firearm.

Firearms are never pointed at anyone (even with blanks)

The reporter keeps trying-to blame the armourer.

While she may be get some blame the Other 2 people involved also displayed some negligence.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

He didn't say anything new to this thread. The assistant Director shouldn't have been handing off the firearm.

While she may be get some blame the Other 2 people involved also displayed some negligence.
We seem to have different interpretation watching this video.

The interviewer I don't think was trying to blame the Armorer, she used what was said by the armorer Hannah Gutierrez to get the guest to explain how the procedure in the movie set went. The guest explained the responsibility of the Armorer, the prop master. Who does the hiring, also why some procedures were maybe skipped/relaxed.

Guest also questioned why they were even live bullets there or not needed when dummy bullets would be enough for the scene. Guest showed the differences between the bullets.

Edit: What I got out of this video is Rust production was a shit show, they were trying to cut corners/cost by hiring inexperience people at critical areas that needed more experience in those roles.

Last edited:

Yeah. Stuff like this is why I hate social media. Why do we have to know or care about what goes on in these peoples non professional lives? I am tired of getting online to look stuff up and private trash like this always front and center. tell me about your upcoming movie/game/book and leave me out of everything else. I don't care about their parties/celebrations/politics or anything else outside their professional field.

The internet was a mistake.

daveonezero

Banned
We seem to have different interpretation watching this video.

The interviewer I don't think was trying to blame the Armorer, she used what was said by the armorer Hannah Gutierrez to get the guest to explain how the procedure in the movie set went. The guest explained the responsibility of the Armorer, the prop master. Who does the hiring, also why some procedures were maybe skipped/relaxed.

Guest also questioned why they were even live bullets there or not needed when dummy bullets would be enough for the scene. Guest showed the differences between the bullets.

Edit: What I got out of this video is Rust production was a shit show, they were trying to cut corners/cost by hiring inexperience people at critical areas that needed more experience in those roles.
I think it is wrong to bring up the armourer multiple times and not the assistant director or Baldwin in the incident. Those are the two people who broke the established SOP. (armourer checks weapon before handled)

The armourer may have broke the SOP with the live ammo. But this mistake could have been prevented if the Armourer was the one to check the weapon and hand it to the actor. The actor also broke the rule the expert said. Never point it at anyone. NO matter the condition.

Hardensoul

I think it is wrong to bring up the armourer multiple times and not the assistant director or Baldwin in the incident. Those are the two people who broke the established SOP. (armourer checks weapon before handled)

The armourer may have broke the SOP with the live ammo. But this mistake could have been prevented if the Armourer was the one to check the weapon and hand it to the actor. The actor also broke the rule the expert said. Never point it at anyone. NO matter the condition.
You keep saying the same thing, why is it wrong to just talk about the armorer. That is the Guests expertise, they will talk about the armorer and Guest gives his insight of that aspect of the movie shoot. Which to me is very informative, just take it for what it is. Which extra information to help understand the situation that happened or could've happened on the set.

poppabk

Here is a scene from one of this armorer's movies. Someone is clearly pointing a gun at someone. I'm pretty sure that when they say that they mean a gun can only be pointed at someone in specific controlled circumstances. Practically any movie that has guns I'm it is gonna have a scene where someone points a gun at someone else, it's basically what you do with guns.

Here is a scene from one of this armorer's movies. Someone is clearly pointing a gun at someone. I'm pretty sure that when they say that they mean a gun can only be pointed at someone in specific controlled circumstances. Practically any movie that has guns I'm it is gonna have a scene where someone points a gun at someone else, it's basically what you do with guns.

I wouldn't say that is clear at all. That could easily have been a replica gun with no ability to actually fire.

poppabk

I wouldn't say that is clear at all. That could easily have been a replica gun with no ability to actually fire.
Like dummy bullets? The point is that the actor is pointing something that at the least very much looks like a real gun at another actor, and even if it is a replica who confirms that it is a replica gun?
The 3:10 to Yuma behind the scenes I posted earlier shows actors firing 'live' ammo directly at people. The idea that no-one ever points a 'gun' at someone during the making of a movie is obviously untrue, I'm sure I have seen a thousand variations.

Like dummy bullets? The point is that the actor is pointing something that at the least very much looks like a real gun at another actor, and even if it is a replica who confirms that it is a replica gun?
The 3:10 to Yuma behind the scenes I posted earlier shows actors firing 'live' ammo directly at people. The idea that no-one ever points a 'gun' at someone during the making of a movie is obviously untrue, I'm sure I have seen a thousand variations.
No, like literally unable to fire. There are very convincing replicas have no ability to fire under any circumstances. I don't know if that's the case in the scene, but there is nothing there to say it isn't the case either. And as to who confirms that, like a real gun, everyone should be confirming that, from the prop master, to the person who hands it off, to the actual actor using it. I can't comment to the 3:10 to Yuma thing, but if true that would simply be a two wrongs don't make a right issue, as that would indeed be sloppy safety there too.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Dude, why is this hard for you? The pistol Cruise uses in that scene is a plastic or rubber dummy. It can't fire, thus the rules for weapons are adjusted for a non firing prop. Had that been a live firing pistol for some reason, cruise would have not pointed it directly at someone and editing would have created the illusion that he did.

poppabk

Dude, why is this hard for you? The pistol Cruise uses in that scene is a plastic or rubber dummy. It can't fire, thus the rules for weapons are adjusted for a non firing prop. Had that been a live firing pistol for some reason, cruise would have not pointed it directly at someone and editing would have created the illusion that he did.

Here are people literally firing directly at people in a high budget Western.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe the industry should just man up and convert then to tons of fake guns that just shoot out some shitty misty fumes instead of a real/blank cartridge. Then add some gun sounds effects later. The sound effects are probably often redone by the audio crew later anyway.

For an industry with so much money and props, you'd think there would be good fake guns everywhere and wouldn't need to worry about loading real or blank bullets.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They call it a prop gun to lessen the impact.. it’s a REAL gun that was supposed to have blanks in it.

my question is .. why was there real ammo on set to begin with? That’s clear negligence.

DapperSloth

I want to post this video of a lawyers input in the matter. Really interesting tidbits from 5 minute mark and up to 16 minutes, who is responsible for what and can they be charged with negligence? And like my opinion always is, no it is not the actors responsibility to check a firearm, it is the armorers. That ends the "firearm safety 101".

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You can celebrate Halloween with your kids for the sake of their normalcy. Just don't fricking post on Instagram for your x million of followers.

I will never understand this Hilaria Baldwin person. She just sounds like an empty headed idiot who lucked up.

Reactions: Gp1

CGiRanger

Banned
Sounds like the legal front will be heating up here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-lawyers-set-file-wrongful-death-lawsuit.html

Husband of 'Rust' cinematographer Halyna Hutchins has hired lawyers and 'is set to file wrongful death lawsuit': Attorney for movie armorer claims disgruntled saboteur put live round in gun Alec Baldwin fired​

The news of the lawsuit comes after it was revealed Baldwin and the crew of Rust were accused of breaking at least four key movie industry gun safety protocols before the fatal shooting of Hutchins.

Baldwin and his co-workers appear to have violated rules from the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, against pointing a gun at a member of the cast or crew unless absolutely necessary.

The alliance's rules - last revised in April 2003 - warn: 'Refrain from pointing the firearm at anyone, including yourself. If it is absolutely necessary to do so on camera, consult the property master or other safety representative... Remember that any object at which you point a firearm could be destroyed.'
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office say they believe a live round was loaded into the gun that killed Hutchins, 42, on October 21.

They are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the tragedy, amid recent claims the bullet feared to have killed Hutchins may have been deliberately loaded into the gun as an act of foul play.

Last edited:
I want to post this video of a lawyers input in the matter. Really interesting tidbits from 5 minute mark and up to 16 minutes, who is responsible for what and can they be charged with negligence? And like my opinion always is, no it is not the actors responsibility to check a firearm, it is the armorers. That ends the "firearm safety 101".

As much as a good lawyer's opinion is good... legal eagle isn't among them. He has a pretty long record of some really idiotic opinions legally, and one of his big Achilles heals is anything political which unfortunately this has become.

highrider

Banned
Sadly being an anti-gun nut probably was the main contributing factor. When you demonize things you tend not to learn that they are tools and have ways they have to be used safely.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Gonna be interesting to see why a live round was on set at all. Whoever brought those is in for a hell of a time, alongside whatever other fire is coming down.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Sadly being an anti-gun nut probably was the main contributing factor. When you demonize things you tend not to learn that they are tools and have ways they have to be used safely.
That's a terrible take. I would say the opposite - the pervasiveness of guns in American society makes people not second guess.

Americans talking about guns:

Old School Reaction GIF

Europeans talking about guns:

Season 5 What GIF by The Office

Azurro

Banned

Don't listen to Legal Eagle when it comes to anything political. He turns into random screeching california liberal whenever anything of the sort is in view, and Baldwin being a liberal hero then his arguments are predictable.

Ionian

Guns don't kill people!

Always found that stance idiotic. Such a stupid thing to say.

Then again my Father put a hamster (Or chicken, can't remember) in a tree, had cancer and then blew it away with a shotgun. Was little left to find.

Guns are legal in Europe too but you have to have them registered with the police and are hard to get. Farmers have it easier as crows attack lambs and always eat their eyeballs first. Most farmers will have a gun.

Had one lad leave a rain-jacket here. I put it on and found a starting pistol in the pocket, he loved holding places up to rob. He came back for it when he wanted to use it again. Was surreal, I just laughed handing it to him. Dangerous man so probably a nervous laugh.

He ended up convicted and sent to a notorious prison here for stabbing someone to death. Met his brother in a pub, asked about his bro as hadn't seen him in a while. He said 'he's in ... county'. I asked if he was on holidays, they nearly fell off their stools with laughter.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Guns are legal in Europe too but you have to have them registered with the police and are hard to get.
That is true, but in many countries in Europe you need to prove you really need the gun. A generic "I fear for my safety so I want to have a gun in order to protect myself" will never fly for majority of cases unless you can prove based on evidence why your fear is legitimate.

Ionian

That is true, but in many countries in Europe you need to prove you really need the gun. A generic "I fear for my safety so I want to have a gun in order to protect myself" will never fly for majority of cases unless you can prove based on evidence why your fear is legitimate.

You're right, for a farmer it's easy but it's not impossible for a city dweller. It just takes more time for the license. Knew a dude who did it. Had a shotgun under his bed.

Died of a heart attack. Family had heart problems, think both parents died of the same first.

INC

Gold Member
You're right, for a farmer it's easy but it's not impossible for a city dweller. It just takes more time for the license. Knew a dude who did it. Had a shotgun under his bed.

Died of a heart attack. Family had heart problems, think both parents died of the same first.

Illegal guns aren't hard to get in uk at all. Just a phone away 😉

Ionian

Illegal guns aren't hard to get in uk at all. Just a phone away 😉

Oh it's the same here. There's constantly stashes of guns being uncovered, on a daily basis.

Worst were the French though, sent a ship with water-clogged guns for the battle of independance. People were mowed down by the British army.

Could get one myself but they ain't cheap on the black market. Extortinate costs. (compared to America).

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Hang on. Let me check...

*bangs nail through hand*

*gets treated for absolutely no money, and doesn't have to mortgage his house*

Guess not!
Yeah this is called a strawman. Along with the last post I quoted. That's not how "Americans view guns." Quite the opposite in fact, which is why so many here think Baldwin is a complete fool for the way he handled the gun (I don't have a gun but I do know about gun safety).

But you can keep making fun of America while more people flock here for opportunity than any other country on the planet. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Top Bottom