• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*) Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek contrasts the next Gen consoles in interview (Up: Tweets/Article removed)

GHG

You can't directly compare the PS3 to the XSX in this case, though. For one, XSX's memory is unified, not split. It just virutalizes the split through two bandwidth pools through partitioning the 1 GB and 2 GB modules. An actual split pool like PS3's would entail two different memory types on two physically separate buses, each pool to each bus belonging to a different processor. Or as another example, like how it was done in older consoles, with multiple chips each having their own private pool of physical memory of often different types and speeds.

XSX's setup isn't even analogous to PCs because you don't actually need to shadow copy data between two different pools over a bus interconnect (PCIe), and it isn't two different volatile memory technologies (DDR4, GDDR5 as one example). So yeah, it's a bit disingenuous to try rationalizing XSX's potential performance challenges by doing a hard comparison to PS3 in that regard.

Also the main problem with PS3's SPUs was lack of documentation and unfamiliarity due to the esoteric nature of the architecture. Both PS5 and XSX are using the same architectures and would have excellent documentation on it due to them coming from AMD, and Sony and MS having access to a lot of that (plus abstraction through their APIs).

Ultimately it'll come down to devs optimizing their code for more parallelism on the CUs to master saturating the XSX's GPU, and...welll...optimization is not necessarily one of Crytek's strong suits :giggle: (sorry but it's kind of true).

He's not comparing the Series X to the PS3 though. He simply gave it as an example. There might be other reasons that we don't know of as to why all of the TF's might not be able to be utilised all the time. Even if they can "only" use 11 TF's in most scenarios that's still more than the PS5's theoretical peak and would yield better results if all else is equal. At this point we also have no idea how far along the dev tools and documentation are for both consoles, all you can do is make assumptions at this point.

Someone who knows that there will be some sort of a retraction or clarification, or lost in translation claim coming down the line. No way does Crytek want to pick a side like that and create fanboy wars.

So he's starting "fanboy wars" because you don't like some of what you've read? Ok then.

Neo Blaster

- CU + Ghz > + CU - Ghz

so can you understand? or do you prefer not to see reality to delude yourself?
Simply put, If you can't put every CU in the GPU to work, the idle ones are useless. This is where higher frequencies will make the difference.

Calm down, XDF, SX will be able to display higher resolutions than PS5 just like One X did compared to PS4 Pro. We'll see this happens later on next gen, when 8K becomes more prevalent.

Alphagear

Honestly dont see the big deal regarding specs.Yes the XSX is more powerful but with techniques like checkerboarding and dynamic resolutions will the average person notice? I personally cant see the difference between 1800p and 2160p which is what the biggest gap we will see next gen. Would most people prefer to play Microsoft games at 2160p over the likes of NDs next title, GOW2 and Spiderman 2 at 1800p? I know what I would choose. Heck by the time these differences start showing the PS5 pro and XSX2 will be here and who knows what to expect.

hunthunt

Banned
He has PS games all over his IG feed.

Yeah just saw his twitter, dude quotes a lot PlayStation news and even quoted with some ":messenger_sunglasses::messenger_sunglasses::messenger_sunglasses::messenger_sunglasses:" the gdc PlayStation Official tweet

Its probably just him liking the PlayStation brand but I would love to see a exclusive by them in Ps5

Last edited:

GHG

I think people are getting caught up in the hardware side of the interview, and misconstruing it to varying degrees. Sounds like a lot of what he's saying comes from the software standpoint.

Yep, and people are glossing over it because he's a big bad man who dared to say some not so favorable things.

This is the bit:

That is why it is not possible to value this figure so much. But if all the parts in the Xbox X-Series can work optimally and the GPU works in its own peak mode, that's not possible in practice. In addition to all this, we also have a software section. The example we saw on the computer was the addition of Vulkan and DirectX 12. The hardware did not change, but due to the change in the architecture of the software, it would be better to use the hardware.

The same can be said for consoles. Sony runs PlayStation 5 on its own operating system, but Microsoft has put a customized version of Windows on the Xbox Series X. The two are very different. Because Sony has developed software for the PlayStation 5, it will definitely give developers much more capabilities than Microsoft, which has almost the same directX PC for its consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
some people just can't understand shit. like their iq is below 0.

xbox ferrari top speed 140km/h. acceleration 5 sec to 100km
PS5 masseratti top speed 120km/h acceleration 3 sec to 100km

games are like roads, straight, curves to right and left and speed limit is 130km/h. yet you never really get a straight road more than 6 seconds. which car would reach it's own limit almost always and which car would be most useful?
That makes a lot of sense not just for consoles but some won’t understand.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
A lot of people in this thread are talking in absolutes as if this guy has been clear cut, however there's an issue with that. Early in the interview, when asked if he has actual experience working with both consoles, he says quite clearly...

"I can't say anything right now about my own work, but I'm quoting others who have made a public statement."

So not really much different from any poster here building a case by quoting 'people on the internet'. It's hardly a technical deep dive by an expert familiar with both consoles.
It's clear that he's just protecting himself (NDA)

He's just saying he can't talk about anything that he's working on

sneas78

Banned
QRmtan6.jpg

Lol.

Solid interview with good insight..

We still need more info on the sound processor, if it has the compute comparable to entire ps4 cpu, it will play a large part in the entire system. Logically it can be used for more than sound with it being a custom streaming compute unit e.g physics, image upscale, etc. or will devs go full tilt on sound?

We also need quantifiable details on LOD and asset streaming from custom ssd. Those 12 channels with priority queue’s must be elaborated on.
If we are talking about Sony first party studios, I believe they will use it for amazing and quality unheard before sound since it seems Sony policy for increased presence in the next gen and this pushes that part.
But 3rd part games and/or multplat games will surely use some portions for their standard and generic surround sound and the rest for their game compute like exactly how you said; physics, image upscaling, post process... etc. all kinds of things as it is an entire PS4 cpu waiting to be used for extra extra stuff.

ethomaz

Banned
So PS5 can only hit 10TF in 'highly ideal conditions'?
That is what he is saying the PS5 hardware and software are easier to closer these highly ideal conditions than Xbox.

That is called efficiency.

You can research for example AMD and nVidia graphic cards where nVidia have better efficiency with higher clocks and less processing units to use its TFs than AMD.

Last edited:

Sacred

Nobody in the public has seen the PS5 and there are so many questions unanswered, so I'll reserve my judgement for real world testing.

First I posted that on speculations thread, you or others have the right to post whatever you want, if it's bad or good it's up to the mods. I didn't make this thread nor I gave the idea of creating it. Plus, you read between the lines? I didn't know sherlock holmes in this thread, take it easy man you're thinking way too much, someone sent me the interview on twitter and I thought I would like to share it on speculations thread which is mostly (ps fans or fanboys) whatever you call them. I didn't post it on Xbox thread or anything to start a war. Next time don't accuse people for being fanboys or they want a console war without asking for explanation. Smh

No, the sad part is these thinking at all is seemingly interpreted as thinking too much. The thing is I'm always interested to at least hear what a dev has to say on this stuff, but I don't need a dev's opinion to have my own. Sometimes you get very good perspectives from the least expected of places.

Also again I was just going off a pattern you've tended to display. Maybe the insinuation was a bit spicy, hard to say. Unfortunately since the Road to PS5 event there's just been an overabundance of shitty threads, some hiding under the guise of speculation when they're just going to inevitably flame console warriors, whether that was the intent or not. And I thought that would all had died off after the events of that week, was probably being too optimistic lol.

He's not comparing the Series X to the PS3 though. He simply gave it as an example. There might be other reasons that we don't know of as to why all of the TF's might not be able to be utilised all the time. Even if they can "only" use 11 TF's in most scenarios that's still more than the PS5's theoretical peak and would yield better results if all else is equal. At this point we also have no idea how far along the dev tools and documentation are for both consoles, all you can do is make assumptions at this point.

Okay, but this applies to both systems. And again, they are using virtually the same technologies, so any possible points of contention, bottlenecks, hiccups etc. in one system will probably find some presence within the other system as well. And based on what we know, yes we don't know everything on these systems but we can certainly extrapolate a lot of potential performance possibilities based on what we actually do know at present.

I mean, look at what you've just said. "we don't know of as to why all of the TF's might not be able to be utilised all the time"..that's applicable to PS5, as well, or do you think every game will be using all 10.275 TF at all times?

"we also have no idea how far along the dev tools and documentation are for both consoles"...well again, we can infer given that they want to release this year, they're pretty far along. And we can infer, going off what MS have shown so far and when they showed it, that they're probably pretty far along.

Also, we can infer that DX12 Ultimate is pretty far along and providing very close "to-the-metal" levels of access to developers going by benchmarks and comparisons with Vulkan as one example, so it's a natural assumption to presume both systems will be pretty even in terms of the power their APIs will extract from the technologies for next gen, especially considering they're using so much of the same tech.

Yes there's a lot of assumptions at work here but we're discussing platforms that aren't out yet, what else do you expect? And yes he is working on next-gen platforms but I strongly doubt he has learned the ins-and-outs of each machine this early in the generation, before either has even really hit the ground running. So there's a good deal of assumptions on his part as well.

Own an X, a Pro, a Switch and a gaming PC. Regardless of their power differences I will buy a PS5 and a Series X; that being said, Crytek is an trash developer and their input on anything graphical or power related means so little to me. Every game that they've ever made has been an un-optimized mess. They've made very few games of note - barring Crysis (which I PERSONALLY didn't care for), OG Far Cry (worst of the bunch IMO) and FC: Instincts (not bad). Hunt: Showdown had potential but the way they handled that game has ultimately killed it and not to mention that it runs like crap on every platform.

Overall - meh.

Ascend

I'll just say this... Your console doesn't have to be the strongest to be good. If that was the case, no one would buy a Nintendo Switch. So what's this obsession with trying to make the PS5 appear stronger than it really is? It leaves the PS4 Pro in the dust. Is that not enough?

Holy shit. I thought this was some clickbait article, but going through it, it really does sound like the PS5 is the better overall platform. XSX is stronger and will push better resolutions, but the way PS5 is built, it’s ease of programming for developers, and the overall performance, it’s going to be the system of choice for developers and will be the better performing in the long run. What a fucking megaton. 🔥🔥🔥

"No point in even arguing. Once the games start coming out and all these devs start gushing about how PS5 has made development easier and allows them to do things never done in games before, the narrative from the Xbox fans will change. They are already losing their minds over the fact the power difference between XSX and PS5 is the smallest in history and not the slam dunk PS4 was over Xbone."

^Another post of his from a few days ago. Coming to these unbiased conclusions for the first time, eh? For no reason other than the super well researched, first-hand information in this article changed your mind, right? Not just reaffirming you own biases and then pushing them out with a barf inducing level of fawning that is so transparent in its intent as to almost sound like it was all scripted.

Last edited:

Romulus

Own an X, a Pro, a Switch and a gaming PC. Regardless of their power differences I will buy a PS5 and a Series X; that being said, Crytek is an trash developer and their input on anything graphical or power related means so little to me. Every game that they've ever made has been an un-optimized mess. They've made very few games of note - barring Crysis (which I PERSONALLY didn't care for), OG Far Cry (worst of the bunch IMO) and FC: Instincts (not bad). Hunt: Showdown had potential but the way they handled that game has ultimately killed it and not to mention that it runs like crap on every platform.

Overall - meh.

The original xb360 port of Crysis was impressive, so was Crysis 2 other than a few sections. It was one of the better looking games on the hardware.

Yep, and people are glossing over it because he's a big bad man who dared to say some not so favorable things.

This is the bit:

That part is very questionable, because MS themselves have said that DX12 on XSX is being very customized for the console. In fact, XSX is actually using a custom version of 12 Ultimate, which is only partially supported on Nvidia and AMD GPUs at current.

And people are overstating the possible bloat or lack of efficiency in Windows; you can cut down Windows 10 to just a few hundred megabytes of a footprint on systems if you wanted and still have it fully functional. And one of the things DX12 and especially Ultimate have sought to do is bring low-level hardware access to developers. We can already see that when comparing performance in certain titles between DX12 and Vulkan API.

ethomaz

Banned

Overall - meh.
Well they focus more in their engine than games.

To me only original FarCry and Crysis was a great game from them.

Last edited:

M-V2

No, the sad part is these thinking at all is seemingly interpreted as thinking too much. The thing is I'm always interested to at least hear what a dev has to say on this stuff, but I don't need a dev's opinion to have my own. Sometimes you get very good perspectives from the least expected of places.

Also again I was just going off a pattern you've tended to display. Maybe the insinuation was a bit spicy, hard to say. Unfortunately since the Road to PS5 event there's just been an overabundance of shitty threads, some hiding under the guise of speculation when they're just going to inevitably flame console warriors, whether that was the intent or not. And I thought that would all had died off after the events of that week, was probably being too optimistic lol.

Okay, but this applies to both systems. And again, they are using virtually the same technologies, so any possible points of contention, bottlenecks, hiccups etc. in one system will probably find some presence within the other system as well. And based on what we know, yes we don't know everything on these systems but we can certainly extrapolate a lot of potential performance possibilities based on what we actually do know at present.

I mean, look at what you've just said. "we don't know of as to why all of the TF's might not be able to be utilised all the time"..that's applicable to PS5, as well, or do you think every game will be using all 10.275 TF at all times?

"we also have no idea how far along the dev tools and documentation are for both consoles"...well again, we can infer given that they want to release this year, they're pretty far along. And we can infer, going off what MS have shown so far and when they showed it, that they're probably pretty far along.

Also, we can infer that DX12 Ultimate is pretty far along and providing very close "to-the-metal" levels of access to developers going by benchmarks and comparisons with Vulkan as one example, so it's a natural assumption to presume both systems will be pretty even in terms of the power their APIs will extract from the technologies for next gen, especially considering they're using so much of the same tech.

Yes there's a lot of assumptions at work here but we're discussing platforms that aren't out yet, what else do you expect? And yes he is working on next-gen platforms but I strongly doubt he has learned the ins-and-outs of each machine this early in the generation, before either has even really hit the ground running. So there's a good deal of assumptions on his part as well.
As I said I posted it in speculation thread, which console is more powerful?? SX. And which console is faster? The ps5. In the end I care about games without the games I don't give a fuck about which one is more powerful.

Neo Blaster

Overall - meh.
All hail the sacred Discord manual of downplaying:

- The interview ain't real
- Developer is trash
- Developer is biased
- How dare you talk about efficiency?

POWAA OF THE TERAFLOOOP!!!

If the PS5 had been revealed as a 70 CU, 15 TF juggernaut I wonder how many people would be talking about “idle” or “under utilized” CUs, as if every game on the XsX is just gonna ignore the power at its disposal.

Okay but no, less is more. Overclock the shit out of a smaller amount of CUs (which is proven to deliver greatly diminishing returns) and ensure “efficient” and “widespread” CU utilization.

Not delusional at all. Totally legit.

I’m gonna take some RAM out of my PC and just overclock whatever is remaining. All about efficiency.

Last edited:
You know, in Cerny's deep dive he mentioned that a ps3 terraflop isn't the same as a ps5 one. I have a feeling that was a veiled challenge to the terraflop speculation that was going down at the time..

Last edited:
As I said I posted it in speculation thread, which console is more powerful?? SX. And which console is faster? The ps5. In the end I care about games without the games I don't give a fuck about which one is more powerful.

But those are honestly kinda hokey qualifiers for both systems, because neither are 100% true. If "power" is being measured in raw throughput, then PS5 has the more "powerful" SSD. TFs are a measure of floating point operations per second, which means you can measure them in terms of speed. So in that context, the XSX is "faster" because it can calculate more peak FP operations in a single second.

Really the "most powerful" and "fastest" tagline are just that: taglines. They're marketing hooks. But you're right that in the end, it's the games which matter most. Both systems should have a lot of good things to bring on that note, and hopefully this year.

I’m gonna take out some RAM from my PC just overclock whatever is remaining. All about efficiency.

I had to give a fire react for this, because if you do that, that shit is gonna burrrrnnnn dowwwnnnn!!! 🔥

Last edited:
Reactions: CJY

So he's starting "fanboy wars" because you don't like some of what you've read? Ok then.
Nah, when Crytek open their emails and read their Twitter on Monday morning, olde Ali is going to get a please explain.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think it needs to be clarified what he means by "better"

It sounds like hes talking about ease of use for there APi's.
If hes talking about which one will win digital foundrys he is contradicting himself when he says this:

I think the next generation will be the same. But towards the end at higher native resolutions, the PlayStation 5 will probably be in a little trouble, and the X-Series will be able to display more pixels.

GHG

Or he could be talking about the state of the software he's dealing with right now:

Comparisons between Android devices and Apple iPhones have also recently risen to the top of consoles, with Internet discussions suggesting that Android users have higher RAM but poorer performance than iPhones. Is the comparison between the two with the consoles correct?

Software stacks that are placed on top of the hardware determine everything. As performance updates increase exponentially, so do they. Sony has always had better software because Microsoft has to use Windows. So that's right.

Obviously things will and can get better but that's what his opinion is at the moment.

It also ties in with the results of a survey earlier this year .

All I'm getting from you is "believe what Microsoft claim with DirectX". Let's see what future developer interviews bring in this regard and whether there's a reason why developers are more excited to work with the PS5 than they are the Series X. Ease of development is a big deal in this regard.

M-V2

But those are honestly kinda hokey qualifiers for both systems, because neither are 100% true. If "power" is being measured in raw throughput, then PS5 has the more "powerful" SSD. TFs are a measure of floating point operations per second, which means you can measure them in terms of speed. So in that context, the XSX is "faster" because it can calculate more peak FP operations in a single second.

Really the "most powerful" and "fastest" tagline are just that: taglines. They're marketing hooks. But you're right that in the end, it's the games which matter most. Both systems should have a lot of good things to bring on that note, and hopefully this year.
I'm talking on paper, but as I said I don't care about power of it's the PS5 or SX, I only care about games. I'm here to share stuff and say my opinions. plus, to entertain myself.

farmerboy

That is really a new low level lol

Hang on a second ethomaz, I know all the fud going around lately has everyone a bit on edge. And sometimes it's hard to keep up with who's who, and what they stand for.

I'm on your side mate (if there really should even be such a thing as sides here), I was only expressing my genuine concern that maybe the interview wasn't legit. I've no idea about overseas non english websites.

But this has been cleared up for me.

I'll just chalk this up to friendly fire and wait for respawn. SOMEONE TURN FRIENDLY FIRE OFF IN THIS LOBBY PLEASE!

👍

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Former Naughty Dog devs says Series X is more powerful and Sony fanboys ignore. Crytek dev says PS5 is more powerful and Sony fanboys rejoice. SMH. This is s getting boring. Both Sony and Xbox fanboys pick and choose whoever agrees with their narrative.

Im not doubting your honour but could u link the source for naughty dog saying the xsx is more powerful.
Thanks.

Top Bottom