• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*) Ali Salehi, a rendering engineer at Crytek contrasts the next Gen consoles in interview (Up: Tweets/Article removed)

Vroadstar

If the PS5 has been revealed as a 70 CU, 15 TF juggernaut I wonder how many people would be talking about “idle” or “under utilized” CUs, as if every game on the XsX is just gonna ignore the power at its disposal.

Okay but no, less is more. Overclock the shit out of a smaller amount of CUs (which is proven to deliver greatly diminishing returns) and ensure “efficient” and “widespread” CU utilization.

Not delusional at all. Totally legit.

I’m gonna take some RAM out of my PC and just overclock whatever is remaining. All about efficiency.

It's ok, it's just an interview, don't get too worked up on it.

Shmunter

If the PS5 has been revealed as a 70 CU, 15 TF juggernaut I wonder how many people would be talking about “idle” or “under utilized” CUs, as if every game on the XsX is just gonna ignore the power at its disposal.

Okay but no, less is more. Overclock the shit out of a smaller amount of CUs (which is proven to deliver greatly diminishing returns) and ensure “efficient” and “widespread” CU utilization.

Not delusional at all. Totally legit.

I’m gonna take out some RAM from my PC just overclock whatever is remaining. All about efficiency.
Doesn't matter, efficiency argument is valid. If you cannot split up the workload between a higher number of cu's consistently, faster cu's start dominating the closer the cu usage converges.

Don't ask me about real world result here, I'm just going off the tried and tested philosophy of less co-ordination needed between processing units = less overheads. MS seems to agree in part by giving the options of switching CPU hyperthreading off (aka less processing threads) and giving a clock boost in exchange.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Phil Spencer says Team XBOX have a “plan” to “win” the next generation

As a programmer, I would say that the PlayStation 5 is much better

tyson.jpg

200.gif

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Hang on a second ethomaz, I know all the fud going around lately has everyone a bit on edge. And sometimes it's hard to keep up with who's who, and what they stand for.

I'm on your side mate (if there really should even be such a thing as sides here), I was only expressing my genuine concern that maybe the interview wasn't legit. I've no idea about overseas non english websites.

But this has been cleared up for me.

I'll just chalk this up to friendly fire and wait for respawn. SOMEONE TURN FRIENDLY FIRE OFF IN THIS LOBBY PLEASE!

👍
It is not about sides.

Anybody can believe the guy said is wrong... that is totally fine because it is his opinion after all.

But the interview is real.

Last edited:

rnlval

That is what he is saying the PS5 hardware and software are easier to closer these highly ideal conditions than Xbox.

That is called efficiency.

You can research for example AMD and nVidia graphic cards where nVidia have better efficiency with higher clocks and less processing units to use its TFs than AMD.
GCN has 12 cycle latency when compared to RDNA's 8 cycle latency.

From https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-5500-xt-gaming-x-8-gb/27.html
MSI RX 5500 XT GX has 1818 Mhz average with 5.1 TFLOPS which is similar to GTX 1060 Pascal

GTX 1060 has 1841 Mhz average with 4.71 TFLOPS

Zotac GTX 1650 Super has 1989 Mhz average with 5.09 TFLOPS

From https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-5500-xt-gaming-x-8-gb/27.html
relative-performance_1920-1080.png

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Devs also said the ps4 had better APis and was better to work, yet the difference in games was inline with there specs.

PSX

In the end power won't matter for example :messenger_beaming: switch still selling like hot cake, but definitely can't wait for the PS5!

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Global Lifetime Sales – February 2020 - Sales

PlayStation 4 Monthly Sales: 616,640

Switch Monthly Sales: 1,042,997

Xbox One Monthly Sales: 193,904

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Switch launched in March 2017.

As a reminder VGChartz tracks consoles sold to consumers and not units shipped.

rnlval

That part is very questionable, because MS themselves have said that DX12 on XSX is being very customized for the console. In fact, XSX is actually using a custom version of 12 Ultimate, which is only partially supported on Nvidia and AMD GPUs at current.

And people are overstating the possible bloat or lack of efficiency in Windows; you can cut down Windows 10 to just a few hundred megabytes of a footprint on systems if you wanted and still have it fully functional. And one of the things DX12 and especially Ultimate have sought to do is bring low-level hardware access to developers. We can already see that when comparing performance in certain titles between DX12 and Vulkan API.
FYI, RDNA 1 doesn't support "DirectX 12 Ultimate". Turing RTX fully supports "DirectX 12 Ultimate".

GHG

That’s precisely what he said.

So going by this logic, Xbox One GPU > PS4 GPU.
Who would have thought it.
At least you read it ? He see as the big problem of XSX the use of Windows and use of a split memory.

The xbox one has split memory, use an API less efficient, same for OS and have to optimize in order to use eSRAM.

Under your logic

Elementary school knowledge of math > Rendering Engineer crytek knowledge

This right here is a perfect example of exactly what took place with the 13.3 Teraflop PS5 mess, but even worse this time because the specifications are an open book and the meltdown when things don't pan out can be completely avoided. People need to understand the hierarchy in hardware function, practical, theoretical, it doesn't matter, the Series X is better on both fronts.

What's taking place here is a total denial of reality, and instead of accepting it and simply moving on people are fishing for anything that might continue to fuel their delusions, and then they double down on them. This is getting really old, it's not even a debate at this point, it's come down to one side understanding the reality of the situation and the other trying to manipulate the situation.

Series X is the more powerful console, the GPU is better, the CPU is better, the memory setup is better, there's no debate to be made in the opposition that can't be shot down instantly. Accept where things lie and move on, all that waits for you by not doing so is a barrage of disappointment and embarrassment.

At least you read it ? He see as the big problem of XSX the use of Windows and use of a split memory.

The xbox one has split memory, use an API less efficient, same for OS and have to optimize in order to use eSRAM.

Under your logic

Elementary school knowledge of math > Rendering Engineer crytek knowledge

That’s way off base. It’s fine to endorse the majority of the interview while still questioning the super shady GPU talk portion of it.

He is probably right on about the split pool, hes batshit crazy about the GPU comparisons

Last edited:
Did you even read what the man said? Lol

The last time I checked, XB1 didn't have one unified ram pool, higher frequencies and less bottlenecks
Not talking about bandwidth champ, talking GPU, try and keep.up.
I Will make it easier for you. This is Alis logic.

"The main difference is that the working frequency of the Xbox One S, is much higher and they work at a higher frequency. That's why, despite the differences in some, they don't make much of a difference. An interesting example from an IGN reporter was that the PlayStation 4 is very neat and tidy like an 8-cylinder engine, and the Xbox One S is turbocharged like a six-cylinder engine to the end. Raising the clock speed on the Xbox One S seems to me to have a number of good things to do, such as the memory, rasterizer, and other parts of the graphics card whose performance is related to this clock. So the rest of the Xbox One S's GPU works faster than the PlayStation 4. That's what makes the console work even more than the announced peak 1.40 Teraflops. But for the PlayStation 4, because the rest of the sections are slower, it will probably work much lower on Teraflops in general, and only reach 1.84 Teraflops in highly ideal conditions."

Enjoy your logic.

GHG

Isn't it awesome! You know what else: 2+2 = 5!

And, if I have 5 apples, and I give you 3 apples, I have 8 apples left over!

Or if you take too long to hand over the apples they rot in the process so nobody gets any apples.

If only all of this was as simple as basic maths.

tenor.gif

ethomaz

Banned
GCN has 12 cycle latency when compared to RDNA's 8 cycle latency.

MSI RX 5500 XT GX has 1818 Mhz average with 5.1 TFLOPS which is similar to GTX 1060 Pascal

GTX 1060 has 1841 Mhz average with 4.71 TFLOPS

Zotac GTX 1650 Super has 1989 Mhz average with 5.09 TFLOPS

relative-performance_1920-1080.png
Off context lol

Fake

he is expressing his opinion through others interviews because of NDA. of course, he gives his own opinion where he can. he pretty much says that in the article. do you even read it? or tears didn't let you?

You asking too much from him.
Anw, will be my third time I read this interview. Some devs point to seX, others to PS5. Just like current gen. Lets see how this in pratice works.

Last edited:

The Shift

Banned
I love the time travelling feature the PS5 has:
PlayStation SSD speeds reach 8-9 GB in peak mode. Now that we've reached this speed, what else will happen apart from loading games and more details?

The first thing to do is remove the loading page from the games. Microsoft also showed the ability to stop and run new games, which can run multiple games simultaneously and move between each in less than 5-6 seconds. This time will be below zero in PlayStation. Another thing that can be expected is a change in the game menu. When there is no loading, of course, there is no expectation and you no longer need to watch a video to load the game in the background.

Insanity!

Last edited:

GHG

Not talking about bandwidth champ, talking GPU, try and keep.up.
I Will make it easier for you. This is Alis logic.

"The main difference is that the working frequency of the Xbox One S, is much higher and they work at a higher frequency. That's why, despite the differences in some, they don't make much of a difference. An interesting example from an IGN reporter was that the PlayStation 4 is very neat and tidy like an 8-cylinder engine, and the Xbox One S is turbocharged like a six-cylinder engine to the end. Raising the clock speed on the Xbox One S seems to me to have a number of good things to do, such as the memory, rasterizer, and other parts of the graphics card whose performance is related to this clock. So the rest of the Xbox One S's GPU works faster than the PlayStation 4. That's what makes the console work even more than the announced peak 1.40 Teraflops. But for the PlayStation 4, because the rest of the sections are slower, it will probably work much lower on Teraflops in general, and only reach 1.84 Teraflops in highly ideal conditions."

Enjoy your logic.

The core bottleneck of the OG Xbox One was the slower RAM and more specifically the ESRAM.

It was nothing to do with the GPU or the CPU as to why we saw what we did in side by side comparisons between the two consoles.

GHG

Windows 10 + Direct X, if you have a serie one, you know how both are like HUGE bottlenecks, downgrading games and the experience. Rebooting is not a solution and does not solve everything.

The software does underpin a lot of what he's saying but this is ridiculous.

The lag that we see on the front end of the OS is not indicative of anything because the OS runs from a separate partition to the one which games run from.

I know that Xbox series X is probably more powerfull than the PS5 on paper, BUT lets not forget how from the 4000 developers surveyd for the 2020 GDC a staggering 38% said that was more interested as a developer in Ps5 compared with a 25% of the xbox.

16genob.jpg

Switch and Mobile got more than I would have though too. Interesting

benjohn

Ok guys

I give you 30 bucks

You give me 50

Sound good?

Is this argument really the PS5’s “smoking gun?”

I will happily believe that the PS5’s SSD is going to work wonders, for first party devs especially, and possibly change console gaming. I dig that, I hope that is true, but a weaker, less capable GPU is not better than a stronger, more capable GPU. Period
He doesn't say that though. All he says is that less CUs with higher frequency is preferable to more CUs with lesser frequency. Higher frequency brings better memory management, better rastorization, and easier development

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I do have to ask why are all these 1st party devs and 3rd-party devs who have ill blood with Microsoft doing all of these PR interviews for PS5. There's definitely a bias or sort of narrative they want to set, like they're drawing lines in the sand for arbitrary reasons.

The systems aren't even out yet but some of these interviews would make it sound like they're almost near the end of the gen. Anyhow, it's kind of easy to see their angle on this one, when you take their prior history with MS. Kinda like the ex-Sony dev who kinda trashed PS5 when comparing it to XSX. But it's the fanboys who buy into these hook, line, and sinker that are ones who need to ask why they have the inkling to do so to begin with :pie_thinking:

Why do you think all of these devs have ill blood for MS?

Top Bottom