• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien isolation first 20 min (pewdewpie warning!)

MUnited83

For you.
I don't think this argument applies to pewdiepie. The guy is simply a never-ending viral source of stupidity. The world is objectively better without his videos, because those 32 millions people could be better served and informed by other means.

Pewdiepie existing is the sole cause of famine, war, poverty and disease existing confirmed

I've only heard this guy's name in passing a handful of times, but he doesn't seem to be targeting my demographic.
Not sure 30 million 13 year olds will be buying an Aliens game, Minecraft walkthroughs might be more his speed.

dmr87

To anybody who thinks it looks odd -
Pewdiepie seems to be using a 21:9 monitor and forgot to compensate for that when rendering the video. The cutscenes look fine because they're probably pre-rendered and 16:9.

Figured simething was off, biggest channel on Youtube and he can't even produce a video with some kind of quality standard. But it doesn't surprise me that PDP got the go ahead to make a video, Sega is behind it.

djshauny

Banned
Figured simething was off, biggest channel on Youtube and he can't even produce a video with some kind of quality standard. But it doesn't surprise me that PDP got the go ahead to make a video, Sega is behind it.

As much as people dislike him, it works. It will sell the game lol.

I was watching speedrunners and other pros trying to play the Alien Isolation challenge mode at EGX, and even though they've given it many tries, the AI is still unpredictable so it's glorious to see them die on best laid plans:

Alien: Isolation - Let's Play LIVE - EGX 2014

The QA at Creative Assembly mentions at 33:30 that the alien gets used to your distractions so if you use the flare again it will look for the source from where it was thrown i.e. YOU

i0StDaPzGWvdk.gif

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I've only heard this guy's name in passing a handful of times, but he doesn't seem to be targeting my demographic.
Not sure 30 million 13 year olds will be buying an Aliens game, Minecraft walkthroughs might be more his speed.

The horror genre seems to be very popular with Youtube personalities focused on games though. Don't know how much of that results in sales, but it draws a big crowd. IIRC, the whole Youtube career of Pewdiepie started off by him playing Amnesia.

Gbraga

We really can't get a thread using one of his videos without it becoming a thread about him, can we? Even with a "pewdiepie warning" in the title.

I don't mean to thread whine, I actually like him (it was a crazy concept to me around 2 years ago that I would ever enjoy watching his videos, I hated as much as everyone else here, it was his real life videos that changed my mind on him), but if a thread about Alien Isolation's first 20 minutes can't be about Alien Isolation, what's the point?

I don't think this argument applies to pewdiepie. The guy is simply a never-ending viral source of stupidity. The world is objectively better without his videos, because those 32 millions people could be better served and informed by other means.

This post contains more stupidity in it than any PDP video.

hwy_61

Banned

You're objectively wrong.

Tagyhag

Damn I thought GAF was above that edgy teen hate for PDP, I dislike his humor but don't hate the guy, he has given lots of indie titles huge spotlights and thousands of dollars for charity.

I do find it funny that after a certain subscriber number, lots of other youtubers feel that they have to emulate him (Talk and scream loudly, act quirky and make jokes, and photoshop their faces into their video previews) in order to keep increasing subscribers, which is probably true.

As far as the game, I'm not trying to spoil myself too much but this intro was just amazing, they did a fantastic job with the atmosphere and made it feel like the first movie. It's a shame that he didn't know a lot of basics about it.

inm8num2

I wonder if this game will enjoy the same kind of viral popularity that Amnesia did for all the scares and reaction videos.

Damn I thought GAF was above that edgy teen hate for PDP, I dislike his humor but don't hate the guy, he has given lots of indie titles huge spotlights and thousands of dollars for charity.

I do find it funny that after a certain subscriber number, lots of other youtubers feel that they have to emulate him (Talk and scream loudly, act quirky and make jokes, and photoshop their faTces into their video previews) in order to keep increasing subscribers, which is probably true.

As far as the game, I'm not trying to spoil myself too much but this intro was just amazing, they did a fantastic job with the atmosphere and made it feel like the first movie. It's a shame that he didn't know a lot of basics about it.

From a marketing perspective it makes sense. Gaffer JackSepticeye is living proof. PDP selected him as a winner for one of his shout out videos and he rose in popularity over night. Regardless of folks stance on him,it works.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Looks fine and all, but lets talk about PewDiePie.

How does this guy get 30 million subscribers? What is it about HIS Lets Play videos that garner so many views/subscribers/everything? I find Angry Joe to be far more entertaining than him, but that's a different story.

30 million subscribers is just....weird. Boggles the mind.

PDP is fine, if you don't like him... don't watch. There is a choice. Some of his stuff is actually really funny, some of it isn't. I think he's the wrong choice to promote an Alien game, but hey that's my decision to make.

Looks fine and all, but lets talk about PewDiePie.

How does this guy get 30 million subscribers? What is it about HIS Lets Play videos that garner so many views/subscribers/everything? I find Angry Joe to be far more entertaining than him, but that's a different story.

30 million subscribers is just....weird. Boggles the mind.

Reasonably attractive guy, quirky voice, quick edits, insane reactions, etc everything your modern day child/teen needs to keep them entertained for 15 minutes! Plus he has an on-going 'character' names and catchphrases he uses too, which people will feel attached to (and actually use).

Auctopus

Just a few things from the 20 minutes...

- Game looks nicely immersive, nice detail and looks authentic.
- Characters look nice.
- The lead character's VA in-game is abysmal. Just sounds like she's reading off the lines with no emotion and then the engineer decided to put different reverb on each sentence.
- Lip synching is so off (gonna assume that's 'cause it's not final?)

(Really weird how PDP says how he used to have nightmares when he used to watch these 'awesome films' then doesn't understand that he's woken up from cryosleep.)

LoveCake

I though he had stopped people commeting on his videos?

I have the Ripley Edition on order :D hope it's going to be good!

Tagyhag

Reasonably attractive guy, quirky voice, quick edits, insane reactions, etc everything your modern day child/teen needs to keep them entertained for 15 minutes! Plus he has an on-going 'character' names and catchphrases he uses too, which people will feel attached to (and actually use).

I believe he was also in that first wave of Youtube Let's Players who started to use face cams. Very little competition back then.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My guess is that it was a long time ago.

Everyone's had nightmares of Alien.

sjay1994

I do find it funny that after a certain subscriber number, lots of other youtubers feel that they have to emulate him (Talk and scream loudly, act quirky and make jokes, and photoshop their faces into their video previews) in order to keep increasing subscribers, which is probably true.

Pretty much. I don't like his content, but he seems like a nice guy and a lot of smaller titles instantly have had their notoriety increased by at least 3 million people.

But as usual any of these early videos for games played by pewdiepie turn into a hate discussion about his content rather than the actual game.

Pretty much. I don't like his content, but he seems like a nice guy and a lot of smaller titles instantly have had their notoriety increased by at least 3 million people.

But as usual any of these early videos for games played by pewdiepie turn into a hate discussion about his content rather than the actual game.

Nah, it's just that he has an obnoxious and rabid fanbase.

Anteater

My guess is that it was a long time ago.

Everyone's had nightmares of Alien.

Alien was like one of the first movies I watched in a theater when I was a kid.

I don't know why my parents did this to me, pretty sure I forced myself to sleep through the whole thing.

sjay1994

Probably because he hasn't seen the films. Just my guess.

Sure but hell people can get scared from trailers or just from people talking about the film. Hell my sister was terrified of Jigsaw from Saw just from the trailers. She had nigthmares for weeks.

The grudge was worse with her because my cousins talked about it, and she was to scared to walk up the stairs during the dark.

She was 10 or 11 around this time. Alien came out more than 10 years before Pewdiepie was born, probably saw a bit of it late night on TV or something.

Just a few things from the 20 minutes...

- Game looks nicely immersive, nice detail and looks authentic.
- Characters look nice.
- The lead character's VA in-game is abysmal. Just sounds like she's reading off the lines with no emotion and then the engineer decided to put different reverb on each sentence.
- Lip synching is so off (gonna assume that's 'cause it's not final?)

(Really weird how PDP says how he used to have nightmares when he used to watch these 'awesome films' then doesn't understand that he's woken up from cryosleep.)

Because he got cash from SEGA. Dude is gonna say what ever you want if you pay him enough.

I was watching speedrunners and other pros trying to play the Alien Isolation challenge mode at EGX, and even though they've given it many tries, the AI is still unpredictable so it's glorious to see them die on best laid plans:

Alien: Isolation - Let's Play LIVE - EGX 2014

The QA at Creative Assembly mentions at 33:30 that the alien gets used to your distractions so if you use the flare again it will look for the source from where it was thrown i.e. YOU

i0StDaPzGWvdk.gif

That video totally convinced me that the AI is really adaptive.

Lol pretty sure anything visually scary can give you a nightmare as a kid.

I never saw Stephen King's IT but I definitely had nightmares about that clown just from ads and or VHS covers at a rental store.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Total fucking blight of the internet for sure.

Really? Total fucking blight... Tone down the hate dude, there's lots of worse shit out there than fucking Pewdiepie.

Woah, wtf hahahahhaah.

Do you just hate entertainment in general? It's alright to have a strong opinion on something but please get off the high horse.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sorry for the OT, but Rapier, where is your avatar from?

CHC

its kind of built up over time. not all of his videos are bad. but some are pretty unwatchable

I can see that. To me he wasn't annoying really, I kind of liked his naivety in a funny way. Angry Joe is a lot more irritating to me with the screaming and the props and the phony rage schtick. This was just a dude playing a game making some goofy remarks.

A lot of people are just jealous because he really shouldn't be making $4 million a year for the quality of his work.

He's nobody special, but he's a superstar on YouTube. It's easy to feel incredibly bitter over someone that undeserving of fame.

Like Kim Kardashian who became a superstar because she had sex with someone...with no acting or singing talent whatsoever.

I guarantee you that a lot of those "indie spotlights" are paid off by the developers to ramp up sales. Same with Sega using PewDiePie as a marketing tool. His name is a brand you can leverage for effective advertising.

I've just read that they canned oculus rift support? Why? But there is headtracking as an option in the game? ... what are the chances someone will do make it usuable with vr later on?

In your opinion...

Yes, in my opinion all the 32 million people subscribed to him would be better served if they used other means to be informed and entertained about videogames. There's also an objectively negative effect created by the way he reached his fame on the internet: his quality standards are low, because he needs fast clicks and clicks, his routines are always the same, and he's also really stupid (which is the less of his problems). Gaming on youtube has been objectively been shaped by his success, and by the drive of other channel to reach the same success by using the same means. This is one of the main reasons why YT sucks for gaming.

objectively

His online persona is super annoying but Felix as a person is definitely one of the good ones. He donates a lot of his money to charity and like Markiplier raises awareness for issues.

axb2013

I had to mute audio less than 5 minutes in. TB is infinitely more pleasant to listen to, not only does he have that soccer commentator voice that doesn't drain you after listening non stop for 45 minutes, he generally avoids saying stupid stuff.

If all youtubers were cursed to keep their thumbnail facial expressions forever, TB is one of the few that could still lead a normal life:

youtubecuntsmce7k.jpg

The video didn't give away enough to judge the game either way. Sega has spent all of it's trustworthiness with me over the past few years, I'll wait for more reviews to form an opinion about the game.

kevin1025

Banned
The video didn't give away enough to judge the game either way. Sega has spent all of it's trustworthiness with me over the past few years, I'll wait for more reviews to form an opinion about the game.

That's where I'm at, too. I really want this game to be something special and have the funds ready for a purchase, but I'm holding out until there are more impressions. Has the Friday embargo been confirmed yet?

Jobbs

Banned
guys, I get that a lot of you don't like PDP, but:

1) if the game video is the subject of the thread, not pdp, why is so much of the discussion about pdp

2) a lot of the pdp hate comes off as really transparent jealousy/haterism. he's a dude that acts silly on camera. he's not hitler.

I see some PewDiePie hate, and I agree that his persona in unbearable but come on guys this is only good for the game. Show it to his millions of fans, scream and do silly things throughout, they see it as a horror game with aliens and cool gameplay/scenarios and buy it. I respect the man.

That's where I'm at, too. I really want this game to be something special and have the funds ready for a purchase, but I'm holding out until there are more impressions. Has the Friday embargo been confirmed yet?

The embargo is going to be up before the game comes out, but no one is allowed to same the exact date yet.

Top Bottom