• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Isolation - PS3 screenshots

Eusis

sub-720p resolution

also, goddamn i'm glad i'm out of that gen
I can't say I'm OUT of it, but I'm gladly leaving to that gen the games actually designed with that level of tech in mind: Japanese games made with low budgets and actually aiming to be 720p native.

KKRT00

Glad that people are finally realizing how shitty image quality was in past generation. Many didnt believe PC gamers when they said it makes big difference pre 2011.

Still, for PS3 it looks pretty ok, it lacks SSAO though and that shows especially in first shot.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Here's footage of the 360 version. Doesn't look bad, seems to have dialled down the lighting & post processing effects mainly. Mine's on it's way, this will do me until I can justify the upgrade to a PS4.

http://youtu.be/BbKDxl7og2U

Looks on-par with the PS3 shots I posted on the last page. There's some very bad tearing whenever the player is turning, not sure whether its just the youtube video or the game.

Dereck

jayzyikes.gif

Last-gen is looking rather... last-gen.
LOL

fedexpeon

Banned
Crazy how TLoU and Beyond 2 Souls look so good on the PS3 when you compare them with other character models and textures.
I would say that Beyond looks more like a PS4 game than majority of the stuff we have seen so far on the PS4 tbh. Those B2S character models are that good.
Anyway, pretty sad when a game that is releasing this late can't match up to other older games.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Here's footage of the 360 version. Doesn't look bad, seems to have dialled down the lighting & post processing effects mainly. Mine's on it's way, this will do me until I can justify the upgrade to a PS4.

If you buy games day one (which you apparently do) that should be all the justification you need. You're paying the same price I would if I were buying it on PS4 (Well, not really because I have GCU.) and getting less.

adamsapple

Crazy how TLoU and Beyond 2 Souls look so good on the PS3 when you compare them with other character models and textures.
I would say that Beyond looks more like a PS4 game than majority of the stuff we have seen so far on the PS4 tbh. Those B2S character models are that good.
Anyway, pretty sad when a game that is releasing this late can't match up to other older games.

Beyond is a game dedicated and tailored to the PS3 hardware. This is a game primarily meant for PS4/XBox One/PC level of hardware with it being downsized for older consoles .. not the same case in the closest.

Furthermore, 90% of the work done in Beyond is for the character models, the environments etc don't look nearly as impressive as the character models themselves.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

I thought the game was next gen, pretty impressive to see it running on last gen consoles. Makes current gen not look so impressive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Glad that people are finally realizing how shitty image quality was in past generation. Many didnt believe PC gamers when they said it makes big difference pre 2011.

Still, for PS3 it looks pretty ok, it lacks SSAO though and that shows especially in first shot.
It's all relative.

Image quality last generation is poor on a modern display but looks fantastic when coupled with, say, a high-end CRT. You'd be stunned at how crisp and clean last gen games look on a Sony XBR960, for example. Just something to consider...

It wouldn't even be an issue at all if we were stuck with fixed pixel displays.

I think it looks really impressive. The frame rate is probably my biggest concern.

Sega may have bit off more than Creative Assembly can chew, doing 5 platforms in one day. Some may suffer a bit.

cj_iwakura

Does not look that bad considering the hardware. That said, the sooner publishers stop supporting the 7th gen consoles the better.

Yes, let's force millions of last-gen console owners to buy new platforms just to play new games. It's so horrible the PS2 was supported as long as it was, wasn't it?

Get real.

adamsapple

I think it looks really impressive. The frame rate is probably my biggest concern.

Sega may have bit off more than Creative Assembly can chew, doing 5 platforms in one day. Some may suffer a bit.

Going by the 360 video, frame rate is mostly ok.. there were some drops when character was in area with a lot of dynamic light.

There was plenty of tearing though.

Considering 90% of this takes place in slim corridors and dark rooms, i don't think this should be a case of single digit framerates.

MrE26

Neo Member
If you buy games day one (which you apparently do) that should be all the justification you need. You're paying the same price I would if I were buying it on PS4 (Well, not really because I have GCU.) and getting less.
I'm actually getting it a fair bit cheaper than a PS4 version would have cost me, otherwise I'd have held off on this.

Once there's a decent amount of good next gen only games out there, that's the justification I need. As it is, there's very little now that I can't pick up cheaper on PS3 or 360 & the only real difference between the 2 generations is improved visuals. Arkham Knight will likely be the one to make me bite.

kunonabi

And this is why I sigh everytime somebody tells me they're not impressed with the jump to next-gen.

I don't know the game looks good enough to me that I don't see a need to spend 400$ on another console. The visual disparity just isn't large enough for me to care as long as the last gen version plays the same.

Durante

It's all relative.

Image quality last generation is poor on a modern display but looks fantastic when coupled with, say, a high-end CRT. You'd be stunned at how crisp and clean last gen games look on a Sony XBR960, for example. Just something to consider...

It wouldn't even be an issue at all if we were stuck with fixed pixel displays.
I played a lot of games on CRTs back when that was the limit of technology. 1600x1200 on a CRT still looks around two orders of magnitude better than 640x480 on a CRT, despite neither of them being "native". I think the IQ-enhancing features you attribute to the technology (which is pretty damn good for displaying games, no argument there) are a bit too magical.

It is true that they are a bit better at hiding artifacts, that's why I used to play e.g. PS2 games on a CRT even with more convenient (and in some ways better) display options available. But that just improves the visual impression from "completely unbearable" to "somewhat OK". And the same would be true for this -- if the screenshots are anything to go by, it will be a sub-native, post-AA'd flickery mess in motion.

adamsapple

PS3
iu8d89jylRUyG.png

PS4
Alien_%20Isolation%C3%A2%C2%84%C2%A2_20141004132259.jpg

PS4 shot is from "Bootaaay" in the console thread.

The PS3 version compares very well here surprisingly.

Aliasing on the cone is the only thing that visually stands out at a glance.

Frame rate would obviously be a whole another comparison though.

Pakoe

Looks good enough for the last-gen, allot of people still on last-gen probably don't mind graphics that much.

Leynos

Eh, looks just fine to me. But then again, I gladly play games on my GBA, and get genuinely confused when people say that the 3DS has a shit screen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, let's force millions of last-gen console owners to buy new platforms just to play new games. It's so horrible the PS2 was supported as long as it was, wasn't it?

Get real.
...Is this sarcasm? Because that doesn't make any sense. Of course they should "force" console owners to switch if they want to play new games, that's the whole point of changing generation. In fact, this tendency to release on both gens simultaneously is very recent. How many games were cross-gen between PS2 and PS3?

Hell, I can't even think of one outside sports or racing franchises. Zelda Twilight Princess for Gamecube/Wii is the only example that immediately comes to mind.

I don't even have a new gen console myself yet, but honestly, I am baffled by this insistence on cross-gen and ports. It wasn't always like this at all.

slapnuts

you can make jokes about vaseline, but I think this looks pretty impressive for nearly decade old hardware specs. ever LOOK at PS360 specs? there's almost nothing there to work with by today's standards.

I agree...totally because i am taking in account how old and weak the spec's are. Try producing these visuals on a equivalent PC with 256mb vram video card....to me this just shows how much console developers can squeeze out of such lower spec hardware. Now with these new consoles out, i expect to be blown away in the near future...heck DC and Ryse are two games that blow me away already and those are mere first year titles. I would say 2015 and 2016 will be when the new consoles truly shine and show some remarkable visuals.

But yeah, while this game looks nasty in today's world of consoles....for what the game is running on i must say its pretty damn impressive imho and you can't simply slam it for not holding up to today's standards without acknowledging the hardware it is running on.

Peace

Top Bottom