• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon Ice

Banned
The Bolt ships with a B75 motherboard, which means no OC'ing. It's also prohibitively expensive in comparison.

Depends on the preset you select. The build I linked to has a Gigabyte Z77 mobo and comes overclocked by default. The build I used in my example is just over $100 more than a similarly specced Revolt and it comes from what I believe is a much better company.

mr stroke

Problem with iBuypower is not there components, its their build and testing process and their customer support. I really do think they sell their PC's so cheap because they have some sweatshop where they throw all the parts together with zero testing.

Maybe their better now, but I was reluctant to order from them because of previous horror stories and non responsive customer support.

mkenyon

Banned
Depends on the preset you select. The build I linked to has a Gigabyte Z77 mobo and comes overclocked by default. The build I used in my example is just over $100 more than a similarly specced Revolt and it comes from what I believe is a much better company.
TY for the info!

The Gigabyte board has CPU voltage and ratio locked though, so you can only do forced turbo OC'ing with auto (read: way too much) voltage. The realistic max end on those is 4.2GHz, which isn't great. Top it off with a cooler that isn't nearly as nice, and I'd have concerns about fan noise as well as extra heat which isn't being dissipated outside of the case. That means warmer/louder GPU as well.

Brisal73

So I currently have both the X51 with upgraded 670 card (Looking to sell, please PM) and the Revolt with Titan card.

My experience with the X51 has been great. No issues, easy to upgrade. Loved it
Bought Ibuypower Revolt, currently having issues with sound distortion through HDMI of Titan GPU. Luckily, Ibuypower is located 10 minutes from me, so getting this issue fixed would be easier than if I lived miles away. So I will post another update once I get receive my fixed system.

The only thing I would currently say about Ibuypower, is to prepare for a long wait. By visiting their forums it looks like they are extremely backed up. It took me almost a month to get my system and it takes a while to receive any electronic email update, so you are somewhat forced to do a live chat or call for an update.

While I agree, I think this is a different case (pun intended). As Hazaro noted above, failure rate is due to parts, not assembly. This has good parts. The assembly is so complex that if it weren't done properly, it wouldn't close or function. I've never recommended Ibuypower before, but what I'm reading on this in specific is really encouraging.

It's not just the parts though either. Like I said, we do game development so we buy high end PCs and our IT guy picks out the parts. We used Ibuypower because they gave us good parts for a cheap price. I can't stop you from using them, but their track record is pretty bad and I feel compelled to bring it up given that our whole company used them and we had to move away from them because of issues.

Well my X51 Arrived today and I'm blown away compared to playing on my 17" MacBook Pro.

Done sleeping dogs and euro truck sim 2 so far. Bioshock infinite up next.

My heart felt gratitude to the OP and everyone who's helped me take the plunge in this thread.

I've been out of the windows game for a while and Windows 8 is totally new. What should I make sure I do for the PC gaming experience? Any apps I should get? Driver updates to look out for? Any win8 tweaks or better ways to integrate steam?

OverHeat

« generous god »
Well my X51 Arrived today and I'm blown away compared to playing on my 17" MacBook Pro.

My heart felt gratitude to the OP and everyone who's helped me take the plunge in this thread.

I've been out of the windows game for a while and Windows 8 is totally new. What should I make sure I do for the PC gaming experience? Any apps I should get? Driver updates to look out for? Any win8 tweaks or better ways to integrate steam?
Welcome to the family!

Chittagong

Gold Member

Get PinSteam and OblyTile to pin all your games to the new W8 Start menu. You can group them neatly, for example I have 'FPS', 'Indie', 'Multiplayer', 'Racing' etc. categories in my start menu. Really nice since you can launch games on a single tap. Also, Plex on W8 is amazing for media.

Start8 is necessary IMO, allows you to bypass Metro.

Everything else updates automatically on Win 8, so it's pretty much good to go.

Big picture mode, wirless Xbox 360 controller, bob'syeruncle. Yahtzee. Jackpot. Win.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's not just the parts though either. Like I said, we do game development so we buy high end PCs and our IT guy picks out the parts. We used Ibuypower because they gave us good parts for a cheap price. I can't stop you from using them, but their track record is pretty bad and I feel compelled to bring it up given that our whole company used them and we had to move away from them because of issues.
I am cautiously optimistic. That's all.

MLG had a lot of problems, but I don't know how many were from the Revolt :p

I think people probably undersetimate real computers compared to laptops.
Even these somewhat puny real computers ;)

Ha! My MBP has a 6750 in it so I was coping at 720p and 30fps. On mid/high dependant on the game But this X51. Man it's like night and day. As PG Wodehouse was like to say "The scales hath fell from mine eyes". I am genuinely blown away by the box, the OS & the experience.

Demon Ice

Banned
Problem with iBuypower is not there components, its their build and testing process and their customer support. I really do think they sell their PC's so cheap because they have some sweatshop where they throw all the parts together with zero testing.

Maybe their better now, but I was reluctant to order from them because of previous horror stories and non responsive customer support.

Yep. Like I said, my build from them arrived with the HDDs disconnected and no OS installed. No way they could have done any testing before they shipped the PC to me.

TY for the info!

The Gigabyte board has CPU voltage and ratio locked though, so you can only do forced turbo OC'ing with auto (read: way too much) voltage. The realistic max end on those is 4.2GHz, which isn't great. Top it off with a cooler that isn't nearly as nice, and I'd have concerns about fan noise as well as extra heat which isn't being dissipated outside of the case. That means warmer/louder GPU as well.

Fair enough, although I'd say the case would be a factor in the cooling as well. Didn't pay much attention to the Revolt's case, is the cooling decent? I know the default cooler for the Revolt is air, not water, although it can be fitted for a water cooler. Which is an advantage over the Bolt except I'd be nervous as hell having Ibuypower setup a water cooler for me :p

mkenyon

Banned
Not really, repost:

Here are pics of the most popular SFF cases.

Fractal Node 304:

Small%20(1%20of%2012).jpg

Silverstone FT03 Mini:

BitFenix Prodigy

Silverstone SG05:

Some new high end ones, first is a TripT CC Compact Splash, second is the CaseLabs Mercury S3

LL

There are some nice looking possibilities from NFC Systems, but they've been in prototype mode for a really long time, and can't support the kind of hardware that the X51/Bolt/Revolt do.

Not really, repost:

There are some nice looking possibilities from NFC Systems, but they've been in prototype mode for a really long time, and can't support the kind of hardware that the X51/Bolt/Revolt do.

That's a shame, I really want a console-like case but I guess I'll be waiting a while for that.

Oxn

That's a shame, I really want a console-like case but I guess I'll be waiting a while for that.

I agree with you.

Im very conflicted at the moment.

I want something the size of an x51, but i think its hideous. And there isnt much options out there with that size and power.

There is one that i really like, but the case is healla expensive, and dont support powerful gpus. Its the origenae m10.

Its an htpc case. But i wish they would make something like that and have the ability to input a powerful gpu.

mkenyon

Banned
Abee Cases makes a number of absolutely gorgeous small form factor cases. They're hard to get in the States, or even Europe though. Based out of Japan.

http://www.abee.co.jp/index.html

With shipping, some of the models can be as expensive as $400. It hurts me so much, but I will own one at some point.

Oxn

Abee Cases makes a number of absolutely gorgeous small form factor cases. They're hard to get in the States, or even Europe though. Based out of Japan.

http://www.abee.co.jp/index.html

With shipping, some of the models can be as expensive as $400. It hurts me so much, but I will own one at some point.

Omfg where can i buy them in the states? I dont mind paying 400 for one of those. Was gonna pay 350 anyways for what i was gonna get, whats another 50

Bildocube

Thinking about picking one of these up, but it's been forever since I've had a PC so I'm green. Mainly want to use as a HTPC with occasional gaming on the side, possibly iRacing too. I can't find any info when the last refresh of this batch of X51s were. I would prefer not to buy one and then find they've updated the line next week or something. Would anybody here recommend going ahead with a purchase within the next 2 months or will there be a refresh soon?

mkenyon

Banned
Refresh shouldn't happen until after Haswell, which is in two months. So maybe a month or so after that. But that is just for CPU, and will give about a 5-10% bump in CPU performance. They might use some really nifty low power ones to allow for more GPU wattage though. New GPUs aren't due until late Q3 or Q4 2013.

JB1981

You're better off buying the i7 model from amazon. Free 2-day shipping for amazon prime users, no tax and amazon rewards point with amazon card.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I'm tempted to buy an i7/660 for my downstairs media center. My custom built 460 rig is upstairs in the office but I want an upgrade and something for the couch.

How will this age over the next 2-3 years as games start with PS4/Durango in mind? I'm not an "Ultra" guy but it would be nice to get competent PC ports/releases in the more immediate future. You guys can help me pull the trigger here so any advice is welcome.

mkenyon

Banned
Hard to say for sure.

I am slightly concerned about the amount of VRAM and memory bandwidth, but at 720/1080 I'd hope it'd stay solid for a number of years. At the very least, you'll be able to upgrade the GPU down the line if things start swinging in that direction.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Hard to say for sure.

I am slightly concerned about the amount of VRAM and memory bandwidth, but at 720/1080 I'd hope it'd stay solid for a number of years. At the very least, you'll be able to upgrade the GPU down the line if things start swinging in that direction.

Sorry I'm out of the loop but is the X51 GPU upgradable to say Titan+ if I need an upgrade beyond the 660? Titan is really all I've heard about lately in terms of next-gen PC video cards.

btrboyev

I'm tempted to buy an i7/660 for my downstairs media center. My custom built 460 rig is upstairs in the office but I want an upgrade and something for the couch.

How will this age over the next 2-3 years as games start with PS4/Durango in mind? I'm not an "Ultra" guy but it would be nice to get competent PC ports/releases in the more immediate future. You guys can help me pull the trigger here so any advice is welcome.

The x51 is probably still more powerful than either next gen system aside from the gpu, which can be upgraded. I could be wrong, but I think the x51 would last you 3-4 years easily with being able to run new games.

kharma45

Sorry I'm out of the loop but is the X51 GPU upgradable to say Titan+ if I need an upgrade beyond the 660? Titan is really all I've heard about lately in terms of next-gen PC video cards.

At present a 670 is really as far as you can push it afaik due to the PSU.

The x51 is probably still more powerful than either next gen system aside from the gpu, which can be upgraded. I could be wrong, but I think the x51 would last you 3-4 years easily with being able to run new games.

GPU in the X51 is better than what the PS4 has.

mkenyon

Banned
It's more powerful, but lacks the amount of VRAM and memory bandwidth that may end up hurting it. I can't say for certain, but it's a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom