• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware X51 thread of 2.56TFLOPS comfy couch gaming at 180W in a console size box

Status
Not open for further replies.

khustla

Banned
I'm a console gamer but I am sick and tired of seeing videos of a comparison with pc games and how much better they look, so I think I'm finally going to jump into pc is Alienware a good choice for me because I know nothing about pc's.

Demon Ice

Banned
What's the cooler on the X-51 GTX 660 look like?

Honestly, the X-51 would be at the top of my list if it weren't for that 330 watt PSU. The price is great for an i7 system with a solid GPU, and as far as SFF PCs go it seems easy enough to upgrade the GPU, but that PSU is going to be such a bottleneck.

Jawmuncher

Fuck yeah! I want this now, but I'll wait and see how the 700 series brings to the table...But I might bite if the price is right.

That does look nice. Though I'm a bit confused. It's a GTX 670 but its made by ASUS I'm assuming then it would use ASUS drivers or would it work with the Nvidia Drivers?

Demon Ice

Banned
That does look nice. Though I'm a bit confused. It's a GTX 670 but its made by ASUS I'm assuming then it would use ASUS drivers or would it work with the Nvidia Drivers?

Nvidia drivers, always. The stuff on the ASUS disk would be older Nvidia drivers and probably an ASUS overclocking utility.

The brand of the card (ASUS, EVGA, XFX, etc) doesn't affect what driver you use, Nvidia cards will always use Nvidia drivers and AMD cards will use AMD drivers.

Jawmuncher

Nvidia drivers, always. The stuff on the ASUS disk would be older Nvidia drivers and probably an ASUS overclocking utility.

The brand of the card (ASUS, EVGA, XFX, etc) doesn't affect what driver you use, Nvidia cards will always use Nvidia drivers and AMD cards will use AMD drivers.

Ahhh ok.
Thanks for that. Was quite unsure.

GPU's are made by different manufactures. Like EVGA and MSI for example. They all have their own type of drivers for the harware. But they all use Nivida drivers for game performance. I think you got ASUS confuse with AMD...

-EDIT_Beaten like a hooker in Thailand.

mkenyon

Banned
Posting this for this page to temper everyone's excitement:

Nah, you want a reference blower design to work with the wind tunnel effect. That'll blow hot air into the case.

Get the reference 670. That kind of cooler design doesn't work well with the X51.

kharma45

Go for 8. If you can't get on with the Modern UI (give it a fair chance, not just an hour or two) you can just install one of the numerous Start replacement programs.

khustla

Banned
Thanks I'm ready to hit the purchase button I have the i5 with the gtx 660 should I get the i7 because I don't want any buyers remorse

Seem to have run into my first oddity.
Apart from steam only things I've done is run windows update & install newer wifidrivers, Nvidia drivers & drivers for Bluetooth USB dongle.

Not in games but in the desktop very intermittently I get black flashes on the screen when flicking from metro to the desktop or when a particular app loads.

Is this the graphics switching and just "normal" or is something weird going on. I think it's switching related as in games/watching movies etc it NEVER happens.

Reading up on this Optimus graphics switching it appears you have to remove all intel GFX and Nvidia drivers & re install latest versions to upgrade. There is an update out for the intel onboard graphics so I might try a full removal and reinstall tonight. Anyone ever seen similar? Google doesn't bring up much for it.

lmpaler

Go for 8. If you can't get on with the Modern UI (give it a fair chance, not just an hour or two) you can just install one of the numerous Start replacement programs.

Seriously, I spent less than 10 minutes making Metro to what I want it and now I boot up, click the game and it launches. the only time I go to the desktop is for steam because I find it easier to just open the game from there, and I'd have like 100 game icons on metro lol. Metro is cake.

kharma45

ya think a 256gb SSD is large enough if you want a digital library of games?

Depends on how many games you have. For me it's a definite no as I've easily filled a terrabyte with my Steam games and I've still yet more that I've not downloaded.

Mrbob

ya think a 256gb SSD is large enough if you want a digital library of games?

If you don't mind deleting titles often. Grab at least a 1TB mechanical drive for backup purposes and use Steam Mover to move files from the SSD to the mechanical drive. As someone with experience having a 256GB SSD, it isn't enough on its own. But with Steam Mover it's easy to move my played games with games I'm not playing anymore but don't want to delete off my HDD.

mkenyon

Banned
Does the X51 have space for two drives? I didn't see that option in any of the configurators but I may have missed it.
You can put an SSD anywhere with some double sided tape. It's nearly impossible to make them overheat, and there's no moving parts.

JB1981

If you don't mind deleting titles often. Grab at least a 1TB mechanical drive for backup purposes and use Steam Mover to move files from the SSD to the mechanical drive. As someone with experience having a 256GB SSD, it isn't enough on its own. But with Steam Mover it's easy to move my played games with games I'm not playing anymore but don't want to delete off my HDD.

Seems like a good compromise. Does an SSD really make that much of a difference?

mkenyon

Banned
120Hz and SSD is what defines this generation of PCs for me. I'll trade any amount of storage space for how speedy the machine feels with an SSD in it.

Demon Ice

Banned
You can put an SSD anywhere with some double sided tape. It's nearly impossible to make them overheat, and there's no moving parts.

True. Does the motherboard have enough headers for two drives though? I don't know what mobo the X51 uses. And if you're putting the SSD outside the chassis you'll have to drill a hole in it or something to get the wire in, won't you?

Sarquiss_

True. Does the motherboard have enough headers for two drives though? I don't know what mobo the X51 uses. And if you're putting the SSD outside the chassis you'll have to drill a hole in it or something to get the wire in, won't you?

Not sure about how many Sata ports are on available (would assume a minimum of 3-4) but with regards to mounting the SSD you would mount it inside the case using duct tape or something similar. No point mounting it outside the case.

GreekWolf

Apparently, I was able to snag the very last iBuyPower special deal at NewEgg. It's the NE731i system with i5 3570k, Gigabyte GTX 660 OC and 8GB RAM for $849. Amazing gaming rig for that kind of money.

Immediately after purchasing, it went discontinued on their website. Probably the only time in my life I'll have that kind of luck, lol

Sarquiss_

Apparently, I was able to snag the very last iBuyPower special deal at NewEgg. It's the NE731i system with i5 3570k, Gigabyte GTX 660 OC and 8GB RAM for $849. Amazing gaming rig for that kind of money.

Immediately after purchasing, it went discontinued on their website. Probably the only time in my life I'll have that kind of luck, lol

I wouldn't call that an amazing deal (A good deal maybe) seeing as I got the i7 3770, 660, 8GB ram x51 from dell for less....

Anyways, look forward to your impressions of it....

Oxn

Dont see how thats a good deal at all but ok

JB1981

I wouldn't call that an amazing deal (A good deal maybe) seeing as I got the i7 3770, 660, 8GB ram x51 from dell for less....

How did you get all that for less when the config starts at $1,049?

GreekWolf

Well, darn. With my luck, I knew it was too good to be true.

I did consider the X51, but the 330 watt PSU worried me. I'm hoping the 500 PSU will at least provide enough juice to upgrade to a 670 sometime this fall.

OverHeat

« generous god »

I did consider the X51, but the 330 watt PSU worried me. I'm hoping the 500 PSU will at least provide enough juice to upgrade to a 670 sometime this fall.
Some user are already rocking 670 in their X51.

Sarquiss_

I understand your concern about the PSU, but I have been running a 670 without issues in my x51 for a while now.

Also, if you are going to buy a 670 down the road then why not just add an extra $100 on the $850 or so you have spent and get a beast of a machine (Buying a 670 down the road would cost you an additional $200-300).

Also, just had a closer look at the iBuyPower and it supposedly has a ASROCK H61M-HVS motherboard which uses a Intel H61 chipset , which is quite strange for a company using a Ivy Bridge CPU. This motherboard is quite dated as it was originally built for the previous generation of CPU's

I would see if you can cancel the order. I am sure that you could get something custom built for less but with better specs.

ElRenoRaven

So just happened to find the thread today after I purchased mine. Must say glad to see others enjoying theirs.

Went with the I5 and the 1.5GB GTX 660 myself.

So just happened to find the thread today after I purchased mine. Must say glad to see others enjoying theirs.

Went with the I5 and the 1.5GB GTX 660 myself.

Same here.
Anyways, I have a quick question. Is the computer made for easy upgrading? The one I got only had 6GB DDR3 and I wanted to upgrade maybe later on.

Alright, I bit. Thanks to all for providing advice in the thread.

i7, GTX660, 2TB, 8GB SDRAM.

Didn't take THAT much rationalization. A little. Not too much.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Alright, I bit. Thanks to all for providing advice in the thread.

i7, GTX660, 2TB, 8GB SDRAM.

Didn't take THAT much rationalization. A little. Not too much.

Grats you'll love it.

Got mine about a month ago--17 3770k, 16gb ram, gtx 660, 2tb. Pretty much just like yours. It runs so god damn good it blew me away. Ultra quiet too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom