• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All 30 Oculus Rift launch titles revealed - each with a "comfort" level

bee

I'm actually holding out on some games to experience them in VR first. Chief among them is Alien Isolation and now Ethan Carter. Will those games be updated to allow for a VR version? Mainly asking about Alien I guess.

the ethan carter devs actually just confirmed the existing game won't be getting VR support at all (you know, the game where they actually added it in by accident and it worked mostly fine with no tweaks) and that they'll be actually releasing a new version just for VR, 100% no buy from me

"I really hope that price point for EVE Valkyrie is indicative of the amount of content we can expect from the game. Though lately I've been reading that it's almost entirely multiplayer, which is not really what I want out of the game. I guess we'll see."

From what I can tell, if you're expecting a Wing Commander-esque campaign, you might as well move on now. Also, the price is for a product called "Founder's Pack" which is F2P game terminology for a bundle early in the game's life with some game currency and a few cosmetics.

In short: It's probably a F2P multiplayer game in the end.

Yeah, I guess I kind of already have given up on Valkyrie as a single-player game, and am just hoping at this point that it'll be one of the few multiplayer games to really grab me. I like to think I'm better at spaceflight shooters than FPSes. (I like to think so but who knows if it's true.)

newsguy

I read one of the project cars impressions saying that the graphics in the VR version of p cars were noticeably worse than the ones hes used to on PS4. I don't understand, are they showing off these games on the weakest spec PCs?

I'm picking up the following day 1:

ADR1FT
The Climb
Edge of Nowhere
Eagle Flight
Eve Valkyrie (Bundled)
Lucky's Tale (Bundled)
Chronos

And I already have:
Project Cars
Elite Dangerous
Pinball FX
Technolust
Radial G

I thought edge of nowhere wasn't a launch title?

Love their write up on Fantastic Contraption:

The mixed reality video is the best way to get an idea of how the game works, I think. Obviously, that’s not what you’d be saying if you were playing the game, but it’s important to have a sense of the space that would be around you because – and this deserves capitalisation – I FEEL LIKE I SPENT TWENTY MINUTES STANDING IN THAT ABSTRACT WORLD STROKING A CAT AND BUILDING CRONENBERGIAN VEHICLES THAT TWITCHED AND SCURRIED AND WRITHED.

If it’s fair to say that some of the games in the launch lineup don’t seem to integrate or benefit from VR in a particularly impressive or valid way, it’s important to counter that with the fact that Fantastic Contraption took about five minutes to make me a believer. Using the Touch controls, I was kneeling, stretching, reaching and even jumping at one point as I assembled devices to try and solve each level’s particular puzzle.

The sense of presence and tactility were astonishing. Not in a way that made me feel dislocated but in a way that makes my memory of the play session seem to take place on a small platform hovering in a void rather than in a small cubicle in a vast hall in central San Francisco. The platform and the blue sky is what I remember. That’s just how it was.

And the most amazing thing of all is that I would never sit down to play Fantastic Contraption if it wasn’t a VR game. The hardware made a game accessible and enjoyable when it would otherwise have been so far out of my wheelhouse that I’d have rather spent my time shooting more hoops.

I have a very poor sense of spatial awareness when it comes to manipulating objects on a screen in the way that this sort of game requires, but that wasn’t an issue here. Sure, my contraptions were hardly fantastic, but being able to walk around them, find a better angle to understand how everything was holding together, and simply to reach out and touch each element – that made the task far more intuitive and, more importantly, made failure into a delightful experiment.

Oh Oculus why you no Touch at launch ;_;

That tabletop mode is still internal stuff and might not even ship. That's what the description if its video said

Just giving smaller scales of fantastic contraption a quick test. This isn't production code and we aren't sure we'll ship with seated-mode available, but we're hoping to give people the option to play seated if they aren't into the whole "standing up" thing. No promises! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdr-Jdpv53s

Looks good, hopefully it'll ship.

Personally I think seated VR with a basic controller isn't particularly deep or meaningful, and does not show off the strengths of VR at all.

lmao, I'm hardly being "purist". Just pointing out my opinion that seated VR with a gamepad isn't particularly engaging after you play all the cool cockpit based games. If I'm gonna spend over $1000 AUD on a new piece of tech - it better be innovating and interesting for years to come. A polished DK2 isn't going to give that to me.

A lot of your posts/criticisms sound like "This isn't a significant jump from DK2." as if their target audience is people who already own DK2s.

What's the criteria to be on the list? I've been sitting on Strike Suit Zero for 3 years because it supports the Oculus Rift, and I have plenty else to play. It's not on the list, though.

artsi

What's the criteria to be on the list? I've been sitting on Strike Suit Zero for 3 years because it supports the Oculus Rift, and I have plenty else to play. It's not on the list, though.

Don't know, there's many games missing there, like Technolust which will be a launch title.

Enordash

Well exactly - and that's disappointing to me

It shouldn't be a huge surprise that the final product and closest development kit aren't incredibly different. The DK2 was serving its purpose. It's not like the CV1 is hiding something. People have all the information to make an educated purchasing decision at this point. Leave them to it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I don't think its the full list either. They probably select some of the contents which they feel is the best showcase, for the list.

Well exactly - and that's disappointing to me

The DK2 is meant for the developers. This is for the consumers.

Enordash

I don't think its the full list either. They probably select some of the contents which they feel is the best showcase, for the list.

Is the launch list just what's going to be in the Oculus Store? I'm sure the list would be much larger when counting games on Steam and elsewhere.

ArtHands

Seems to be only Oculus Store. I doubt Oculus know what's their plan for their SteamVR release anyway

Fret

It shouldn't be a huge surprise that the final product and closest development kit aren't incredibly different.

The DK2 is meant for the developers. This is for the consumers.

The DK2 came out nearly 2 years ago, I think its reasonable to expect some new gameplay features between now and then, lol

I think Oculus was just not expecting Lighthouse to be revealed, which has just given us a higher expectation than what Oculus was planning to give at launch.

Wallach

I just got done trying out Mythos of the World Axis tonight on the DK2 - literally like 10 minutes ago - and I am totally sold on third-person perspective in VR already. I might actually be looking more forward to that than first-person perspective in terms of "traditional" gaming. Even thinking about the most basic kind of idea, like a loot-focused ARPG in VR sounds like it would be so cool. Imagining Diablo 3 style physics where you get to see the effects and enemies scatter into the air in different directions, or how much more satisfying it would be to use a transmog-like system to change how your character looks when you could really get up close and inspect them. You'd basically be customizing your personal action figure that you get to wreck shop with. I want this so bad right now.

robotrock

Banned
Anyone know if Trackmania Turbo is going to support the Oculus CV1 next week?

Is there any hope for DIRT Rally to support the CV1 next week too?

Also, really hoping Chronos ends up being good. It looks gorgeous, but I hope that single year of dev time was enough.

ArtHands

The DK2 came out nearly 2 years ago, I think its reasonable to expect some new gameplay features between now and then, lol

I think Oculus was just not expecting Lighthouse to be revealed, which has just given us a higher expectation than what Oculus was planning to give at launch.

I hope you are not serious. What kit will you expect the devs to use to create new features on the CV1, if the DK2 doesn't have it?

Top Bottom