• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All 30 Oculus Rift launch titles revealed - each with a "comfort" level

Why? Sony flat out said that full AAA experiences are coming to PSVR yesterday on stage.

I don't think they mean what you think they mean, in that case. I didn't see the stage presentation, but producing full AAA titles at this point for VR would be economic suicide. These things take tens of millions of dollars to make, and they typically need to pass at least a million sales in order to break even, often much more. You'll probably have to wait a few years for the VR market to grow big enough to support this kind of thing, or you'll have to make do with titles that are primarily made for traditional screens, with an optional VR mode that is more of a novelty.

The AAA moniker is bit meaningless these days though. I mean, what would you define Elite: Dangerous as?

Kevin

The lineup is pretty solid for a brand new product and let's keep in mind that there are a LOT of already released games not listed here that will support the Rift and Vive and a LOT more coming out this year.

Support for VR is already impressing me!

War Eagle

That's exactly it, how prone the game is for causing VR sickness.

You would think that they would only clear a game for release after it has already minimized VR Sickness in general. You don't want to scare the audience away. I'm thinking it has to do with something else. 'Intense' and VR Sickness is not a good mix marketing-wise.

I wonder if it has more to do with Camera angles, perceived 'presence', speed of the game, and all around 'intensity' (think Call of Duty vs The Witness). Still, I really wish they would list the actual criteria used for the scale.

You would think that they would only clear a game for release after it has already minimized VR Sickness in general. You don't want to scare the audience away. I'm thinking it has to do with something else. 'Intense' and VR Sickness is not a good mix marketing-wise.

I wonder if it has more to do with Camera angles, perceived 'presence', speed of the game, and all around 'intensity' (think Call of Duty vs The Witness). Still, I really wish they would list the actual criteria used for the scale.
No, it's definitely for how prone a game is to giving VR sickness. Since different people are sensitive to it differently, some people will be fine with "intense" - for example, Elite: Dangerous' most intense VR-sickness bits are when you are on a planet in a buggy that bumps and flips around and stuff, for me it's slightly uncomfortable but doable for the small amounts of time I spend in the game in the buggy, some people at the Vive showcase reported feeling very sick quickly by that. Oculus is allowing developers to make any game they want, and they use the comfort level to let users choose.

I do find it interesting that the game that comes packed with every Rift, Lucky's Tale, is rated "Moderate".

This is a really dumb question that I'm sure is widely known, but I just only casually keep up with VR stuff until it's available.

But will Oculus games be cross-compatible with the Vive and vice-versa?

This is a really dumb question that I'm sure is widely known, but I just only casually keep up with VR stuff until it's available.

But will Oculus games be cross-compatible with the Vive and vice-versa?

Most will be. Some will not.

One can reasonably expect software will be developed that will allow for non-Oculus VR headsets to work for Oculus games. That would be par for the course for the PC community.

I really hope that price point for EVE Valkyrie is indicative of the amount of content we can expect from the game. Though lately I've been reading that it's almost entirely multiplayer, which is not really what I want out of the game. I guess we'll see.

This is very... interesting. Personally, I think this is incredibly helpful.

However, I think this could also be incredibly damaging. Consider the recent Minecraft demo and how people were very turned off by it. Did that help or hurt VR's reputation? If you have enough high-profile games (just a handful would be enough to do it) that induce motion sickness in most people and are ranked as "Intense", then people start to avoid the "Intense" label games. Or, let's say the "Comfortable" label starts to get the reputation of the lame version of VR, where games don't really make use of the technology. Then you have people flooding the middle.

Again, I do think this is a good label in a certain respect. I'm just not sure the market will appreciate it. Great to see all those games shown off, though. *Drools* Can I afford PSVR and this?

"I really hope that price point for EVE Valkyrie is indicative of the amount of content we can expect from the game. Though lately I've been reading that it's almost entirely multiplayer, which is not really what I want out of the game. I guess we'll see."

From what I can tell, if you're expecting a Wing Commander-esque campaign, you might as well move on now. Also, the price is for a product called "Founder's Pack" which is F2P game terminology for a bundle early in the game's life with some game currency and a few cosmetics.

In short: It's probably a F2P multiplayer game in the end.

Korezo

Are these only going to work for the rift? Or are we going to have time exclusive deals now? I have project cars and really want to play that game, but wanted a vive.

Head.spawn

What was the name of that Insomniac title?

Edit. Nevermind, Edge of Nowhere.

I think I'm going with that and Adrift for my day one.

"I really hope that price point for EVE Valkyrie is indicative of the amount of content we can expect from the game. Though lately I've been reading that it's almost entirely multiplayer, which is not really what I want out of the game. I guess we'll see."

From what I can tell, if you're expecting a Wing Commander-esque campaign, you might as well move on now. Also, the price is for a product called "Founder's Pack" which is F2P game terminology for a bundle early in the game's life with some game currency and a few cosmetics.

In short: It's probably a F2P multiplayer game in the end.

That's the impression I am getting. I am more than happy to be getting it for free and I will probably enjoy the hell out of what is there but none of these launch titles seem like the big VR game just yet. I don't see anything on Vive that will deliver that either.

Some of the existing games like Elite: Dangerous, Project CARS and Dirt Rally have me more excited than anything that is actually launching with the system.

I have a bad feeling Chronos will be underwhelming. They're throwing around names like Zelda and Dark Souls to draw you in but it looks really shallow to me. I think all of these initial outings for VR scream shallow.

The meaty stuff is coming but it's going to take some time. For now there is more than enough to keep me happy in games like Elite: Dangerous and Dirt Rally. Add to that all the other things you can do with VR and I am still really excited about my Oculus order.

Reallink

I really hope that price point for EVE Valkyrie is indicative of the amount of content we can expect from the game. Though lately I've been reading that it's almost entirely multiplayer, which is not really what I want out of the game. I guess we'll see.

I was under the impression the SP content was just flying around the maps finding collectables. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they had already said as much in interviews and such. Don't think I've ever seen them referencing some big story campaign. Based on the alpha and extrapolating the grayed out content, there didn't seem to be $60 worth of value IMO. Unlocks were really slow, which might suggest they're trying to mask and pad it out.

YuShtink

That's the impression I am getting. I am more than happy to be getting it for free and I will probably enjoy the hell out of what is there but none of these launch titles seem like the big VR game just yet. I don't see anything on Vive that will deliver that either.

Some of the existing games like Elite: Dangerous, Project CARS and Dirt Rally have me more excited than anything that is actually launching with the system.

I have a bad feeling Chronos will be underwhelming. They're throwing around names like Zelda and Dark Souls to draw you in but it looks really shallow to me. I think all of these initial outings for VR scream shallow.

The meaty stuff is coming but it's going to take some time. For now there is more than enough to keep me happy in games like Elite: Dangerous and Dirt Rally. Add to that all the other things you can do with VR and I am still really excited about my Oculus order.

I've been hearing really good impressions of Chronos, I wouldn't completely dismiss it just yet.

Wallach

I wonder why American Truck Simulator isn't on this list. They should be ready to go.

Edit - Also do they really expect me to buy Project CARS twice? Fuck outta here, they better have a better answer than that.

I've been hearing really good impressions of Chronos, I wouldn't completely dismiss it just yet.

I am planning on giving it a shot but it just screams launch game over-hype to me. I could be very wrong.

I wonder why American Truck Simulator isn't on this list. They should be ready to go.

The list is a bit deceptive from what I see. This is everything available in the Oculus store. From what I can tell we can still launch VR Games from Steam and run them on the Rift just fine.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=#sort_by=_ASC&vrsupport=102&page=1

I don't see American Truck Simulator there either but hopefully it works.

"That's the impression I am getting. I am more than happy to be getting it for free and I will probably enjoy the hell out of what is there but none of these launch titles seem like the big VR game just yet."

Well, all of what I said is perfect for me. I want a FS2-esque multiplayer space shooter, not open world malarky, so Eve Valkyrie is "the big VR game" for me.

Fret

What are you going on about? First of all DK2 wasn't up to "presence" specs. Second, 95% of all DK2 content was unfinished demos, or unpolished if not broken implimentation. These will be polished, full titles with a lot more gameplay and depth. Outside of E:D, what full games have you played on the Rift in any kind of capacity?

And I hate to break it to you, but closing and opening drawers in VR is only going to be "fun" for so many times before it all becomes normal and boring too. Acting like seated VR is already yesterday's news is insanity. We haven't even scratched the surface.

All I was talking about was gameplay - the CV1 will obviously be far more comfortable etc.

CV1 is IDENTICAL to DK2 gameplay wise. Sure, maybe a few more polished games, but it's the same experience. Seated VR without motion controllers IS yesterdays news, because its been around for years now.

And I hate to break it to you, but closing and opening drawers in VR is only going to be "fun" for so many times before it all becomes normal and boring too.

Nope. Motion controllers literally change everything.

Enordash

What was the name of that Insomniac title?

Edit. Nevermind, Edge of Nowhere.

I think I'm going with that and Adrift for my day one.

I think they are still showing Edge of Nowhere as "spring" and not launch. I'm super interested in that one too. Wish it was immediately available. I'm going to go with Chronos and Adrift on top of the pack-ins.

Will there ever be a VR thread that doesn't involve platform wars? How is this still acceptable?

All I was talking about was gameplay - the CV1 will obviously be far more comfortable etc.

CV1 is IDENTICAL to DK2 gameplay wise. Sure, maybe a few more polished games, but it's the same experience. Seated VR without motion controllers IS yesterdays news, because its been around for years now.

Meh, you can still have great quality and compelling experiences sans motion controls in VR, who gives a damn if it's been out for years already? Seated gaming in general has been with us for far longer and that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Options aren't a bad thing. This VR purist stuff is just noise.

barit

So out of these 30 games I see 3 to 4 full price titles and the rest are small short games that are just better tech demos I guess. Wow speaking of the drought is real for VR. Sony was smart to push theirs a little back so developers have more time to get the games ready. I mean if you don't like Sci-Fi or racing VR is pretty much useless for you for a while except for those 30min to 2hours mini experiences and maybe cinema mode. It's okay but I could imagine after two or three weeks you have probably seen all VR content that Oculus has in store right now.

Do we know if games we bought on Gear VR that also have Rift versions have to be purchased again?

Palmer said in January that it is up to the developers to decide if they want to offer cross play. I can log into my account on their website and see which games I have bought for Gear VR, so the system is in place to support it.

Hopefully people that have just done relatively straight ports (IE, everyone right now from the looks of it) will be cross play.

I wouldn't be surprised if none were though either. We shall see.

Those prices are high for a lot of these games, which will no doubt turn out being hour experiences at best. The people who were having round tables about Firewatch are gonna have a field day here. Safe to assume why there are no refunds. I can't even begin to imagine how The Climb could be a $50 package/value.

All the ones I've played seem fairly priced. We have no idea how much content is in the climb. I mean, people spend hours climbing real mountains, so it's quite possible that this will be worth the full price. It might not be either... but we'll see.

Adr1ft for $20 seems a good price.

Chronos is reportedly 12 to 14 hours of diverse content for $50.

Pinball FX 2 for $15 is about $5 a table, which is a little steep, but VR adds a lot to the end user experience and they've clearly put in even more work on what goes on outside the table than normal.

Keep Talking, Herobound, Dreadhalls, Dead Secret all are fairly priced (I've played them). Gunjack is a shade over priced.

I'm really looking forwards to the climb. Crytek's Back to Dinosaur Island 2 demo really sold me on how good that experience is going to be.

Fret

Meh, you can still have great quality and compelling experiences sans motion controls in VR, who gives a damn if it's been out for years already?

Personally I think seated VR with a basic controller isn't particularly deep or meaningful, and does not show off the strengths of VR at all.

This VR purist stuff is just noise.

lmao, I'm hardly being "purist". Just pointing out my opinion that seated VR with a gamepad isn't particularly engaging after you play all the cool cockpit based games. If I'm gonna spend over $1000 AUD on a new piece of tech - it better be innovating and interesting for years to come. A polished DK2 isn't going to give that to me.

Personally I think seated VR with a basic controller isn't particularly deep or meaningful, and does not show off the strengths of VR at all.

lmao, I'm hardly being "purist". Just pointing out my opinion that seated VR with a gamepad isn't particularly engaging after you play all the cool cockpit based games. If I'm gonna spend over $1000 AUD on a new piece of tech - it better be innovating and interesting for years to come. A polished DK2 isn't going to give that to me.

The "strengths of vr" sounds like a pretty purist rhetoric to me xD

VR is still early days, constantly evolving with rapid iteration. Who knows what CV2/3 of hmds will bring in terms of input, heck we might have haptic gloves at that point, and I'm sure there will be a very similar exchange when that comes out touting the same line. So talking about what's worthy of the "good VR" mantle is a load of hot air at this point.

You also conveniently left Touch out of the discussion I see :p

YuShtink

Well yea that's kind of the point of developer kits, there's this thing called game development, that can take years. And that's years as in years, plural, something the Vive's lineup obviously didn't have. By the time some real, full, polished Vive games come out I guess it'll be yesterday's news, huh?

It might be yesterday's news sooner than you think too, considering how lazy the design of Vive's motion controllers really is at the end of the day. It's a Move knockoff with a steam controller touch pad. How will it change everything when it's barely changed in design from 2009? Touch will surpass it in ergonomics and features within months of release.

The list, below, includes a couple of surprises: there are Oculus Rift versions of The Astronauts' thriller The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and Slightly Mad Studios' racing game Project Cars.

I'll wager Vanishing of Ethan Carter being "Intense" is entirely due to
the zombie jump scare in the mine area

Fret

The "strengths of vr" sounds like a pretty purist rhetoric to me xD

VR is still early days, constantly evolving with rapid iteration. Who knows what CV2/3 of hmds will bring in terms of input, heck we might have haptic gloves at that point, and I'm sure there will be a very similar exchange when that comes out touting the same line. So talking about what's worthy of the "good VR" mantle is a load of hot air at this point.

You also conveniently left Touch out of the discussion I see :p

I'm talking about now, what we currently have on offer in the VR space. It is an entirely reasonable argument for something that's very expensive to compare the strengths and weaknesses between the top players. For Oculus to launch with effectively an advanced DK2 is disappointing to me, especially after years of waiting.

Well yea that's kind of the point of developer kits, there's this thing called game development, that can take years. And that's years as in years, plural, something the Vive's lineup obviously didn't have. By the time some real, full, polished Vive games come out I guess it'll be yesterday's news, huh?

It might be yesterday's news sooner than you think too, considering how lazy the design of Vive's motion controllers really is at the end of the day. It's a Move knockoff with a steam controller touch pad. How will it change everything when it's barely changed in design from 2009? Touch will surpass it in ergonomics and features within months of release.

From the looks of your avatar and your discussion points you probably have a Rift on preorder and have invested heavily in their platform so I'm hardly going to have a balanced discussion with you.

The Vive controllers are "lazy" and a "move knockoff." what? I can guarantee they went through the same design process as Touch did - over a period of years. They both have strengths and weaknesses. Touch looks to feel more natural but has worse occlusion.

"Barely changed in design from 2009." Comparing Move to the Vive controllers is ridiculous and you know it. They look the same? lol ok?

"Touch will surpass it in ergonomics and features within months of release." How do you know this? Let's just imagine there's more games on release for Touch than Vive - Touch still has an objectively inferior tracking solution. Strengths and weaknesses.

Next time don't go on a fanboy rant and maybe we can have an interesting discussion

AmyS

A great set of games, I'm particularly excited about AirMech: Command - it looks a lot like one of my favorite Genesis games, Herzog Zwei, and in VR will be like playing a board game where the pieces come to life.

J5omEM8.jpg

This game.

Its youngest offspring, lives in VR.

I'm talking about now, what we currently have on offer in the VR space. It is an entirely reasonable argument for something that's very expensive to compare the strengths and weaknesses between the top players. For Oculus to launch with effectively an advanced DK2 is disappointing to me, especially after years of waiting.

No I hear ya, was hoping they'd at least have Touch ready for primetime with launch myself. Nonetheless I don't think they should be written off in general this gen just cause they don't have a tracking solution as robust as the Vive's. Considering impressions from things like Toybox I can't wait to dip into some of the social stuff that's centered around Touch. I think this gen in particular won't really get cookin until a year out from release, like most entertainment platforms.

Fret

No I hear ya, was hoping they'd at least have Touch ready for primetime with launch myself. Nonetheless I don't think they shouldn't be written off in general this gen just cause they don't have a tracking solution as robust as the Vive's. Considering impressions from things like Toybox I can't wait to dip into some of the social stuff that's centered around Touch. I think this gen in particular won't really get cookin until a year out from release, like most entertainment platforms.

I'm absolutely sure CV1 and Touch will be great, especially the comfort of the hmd, but the competition has shaped up to be very strong. I wasn't trying to write them off, they'll most definately end up selling the most units in the PC VR space

I just thought, have oculus done themselves a disservice with this list? They have listed the oculus store based launch games, but presumably there are other steam games available at launch? E.g. rfactor or iracing or European truck simulator?

Would a full list look even more compelling? (I think the launch list looks fine assuming adr1ft and chronos have some meat on the bones)

I'm absolutely sure CV1 and Touch will be great, especially the comfort of the hmd, but the competition has shaped up to be very strong. I wasn't trying to write them off, they'll most definately end up selling the most units in the PC VR space

Right on. It's an exciting time, seeing how the big three (Sony, HTC/Valve, Oculus) may take cues from one another in the software space and adjust strategy accordingly will be interesting to watch.

artsi

I just thought, have oculus done themselves a disservice with this list? They have listed the oculus store based launch games, but presumably there are other steam games available at launch? E.g. rfactor or iracing or European truck simulator?

Would a full list look even more compelling? (I think the launch list looks fine assuming adr1ft and chronos have some meat on the bones)

Technolust dev said that the game will be a launch title, but he didn't have a final build ready for GDC so it was excluded. Might be same for other games, or they just didn't apply? Not sure.

I don't think I missed the launch date. I think I missed getting a playable build to GDC.

There is a TON of new content. All of the NPC's talk and interact with you now. Complete story with side quests and collectables. New Game +. New arcade games and high score lists. Ton's of polish etc. It's pretty much finished. Adding in the last bit of voice tonight, then polishing and optimizing for the next week.
To be honest, I was pretty bummed not to be listed with todays launch titles. But.. indie life ain't easy.

They are on the 0.7 SDK as of now as far as I can tell, and they have said that they are not committing to develop VR as anything other than a beta version since they want to spend their resources on supporting features that will benefit the larger community. So while it will work, I don't think they will spend a lot of time polishing the rough edges and at this point they have only one programmer who works on supporting VR as a pet project.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So out of these 30 games I see 3 to 4 full price titles and the rest are small short games that are just better tech demos I guess. Wow speaking of the drought is real for VR. Sony was smart to push theirs a little back so developers have more time to get the games ready. I mean if you don't like Sci-Fi or racing VR is pretty much useless for you for a while except for those 30min to 2hours mini experiences and maybe cinema mode. It's okay but I could imagine after two or three weeks you have probably seen all VR content that Oculus has in store right now.

How do you know/tell which are the small short games?

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm picking up the following day 1:

ADR1FT
The Climb
Edge of Nowhere
Eagle Flight
Eve Valkyrie (Bundled)
Lucky's Tale (Bundled)
Chronos

And I already have:
Project Cars
Elite Dangerous
Pinball FX
Technolust
Radial G

gdt

I'm actually holding out on some games to experience them in VR first. Chief among them is Alien Isolation and now Ethan Carter. Will those games be updated to allow for a VR version? Mainly asking about Alien I guess.

Tankshell

I'm actually holding out on some games to experience them in VR first. Chief among them is Alien Isolation and now Ethan Carter. Will those games be updated to allow for a VR version? Mainly asking about Alien I guess.

I would be highly surprised if there was an updated, official Alien Isolation version released for the CV1/Vive.

I am sure somebody will find a way to play the old version with commercial hardware... somehow.

Impulsor

I'm picking up the following day 1:

ADR1FT
The Climb
Edge of Nowhere
Eagle Flight
Eve Valkyrie (Bundled)
Lucky's Tale (Bundled)
Chronos

And I already have:

Radial G
Dreadhalls
EVE Gunjack

aDapted my Already have's on top of your day 1 list, because it's the same as mine.

Compsiox

Banned
It just hit me again how crazy it is that there are freaking exclusives for PC that can't be played on every PC purposely because of insisted hardware exclusiveness

This is the worst.

Impulsor

It just hit me again how crazy it is that there are freaking exclusives for PC that can't be played on every PC purposely because of insisted hardware exclusiveness

This is the worst.

I think of VR as independent platforms that require another platform to work.

So we have PSVR, Vive and Rift. Each one will have its esclusives.

Top Bottom