• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All I want from a Playstation controller is better battery life?

An easy solution would be replaceable batteries rather than an internal one.

You internal battery sympathizers are weird.

I literally have a dozen dead PS controllers because they don't hold a charge anymore. One day I'll replace the internals, at least I tell myself. Just a pain in the ass.

An easy solution would be replaceable batteries rather than an internal one.

You internal battery sympathizers are weird.

I literally have a dozen dead PS controllers because they don't hold a charge anymore. One day I'll replace the internals, at least I tell myself. Just a pain in the ass.
You can change the battery within 5 minutes crybaby. It's damn easy with the dualsense.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In my experience (so far) the DualSense does have better battery life than the DS4, which was absolute shit. But maybe I just don't remember what a new DS4 was like, and the DualSense will go just as shit in time. And either way it's much worse than many other controllers with built-in batteries.

If you want to see really good battery life, try the Oculus Quest 2 controllers. Those things are fucking insane, I get literal MONTHS of use from one single AA battery (well, one in each).

Last edited:
You can change the battery within 5 minutes crybaby. It's damn easy with the dualsense.

Crybaby? Lol. Unnecessary and detracts from your point. Being cordial and making a point or argument is a more mature approach.

I don't see how that is easier than having standard AA batteries kicking around and not needing tools. I have AA batteries kicking around.

TheGecko

Banned
You’d have thought how big and heavy it is the could have put a few more Mah in there. I guess those gimmick triggers were more important.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Battery will die in a couple of years if you do this.

Battery life is rated in charge cycles. You deplete one the moment you start recharging. Even if it is from 50%.

Hate to say this but either you need Sony to put in bigger battery or give option of AA so you can get 2500 mAH ones.
The chemical process in a battery is not a timer that counts down. Sure, there is a limit to how long it can last under regular decharge and recharge cycles, but the „completely exhaust before recharging“-times are over.

Also there are overcharge protections in most docks these days. When i put my controller on the dock it will glow yellow until it is full, then the dock stops charging it and the light on the controller is off.

Last edited:
That and a bit smaller
ljCySuJ.gif

BlackTron

Gold Member
I wish they just took AA so you could pick your own rechargable battery with no hassle, skill, or knowledge whatsoever and the problem wouldn't exist.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
2 controller and a charging Dock. Battery not an issue

2 controller and the regular old charging cable, battery life has never been an issue for me. Then again I almost always turn off controller vibration so I'm sure that makes a charge last longer.

all I want in PS controllers is better fucking sticks...

4, FOUR CONTROLLERS have stick drift, all have the exact same drift... a friend of mine also has the same drift on 2 controllers... and a few weeks ago my launch PS5 controller also started to have the same fucking drift.

it's the left stick that drifts upwards sporadically and also starts having a dead angle near the top.
ON FOUR FUCKING CONTROLLERS... including the Dualsense now too...

I can't wait for a good Hall Effect stick controller to release for PS5. but Sony seems to be especially big dipshits this gen and seem to not allow third party controllers currently. that's what it seems like at least. and of course the dipshittery doesn't end there as they also block PS4 controllers in PS5 games :)

honestly, the battery, while not great, is good enough for me. but those fucking sticks! :mad:

😩 rant over
Same here. Go and buy the sticks. I got 10 pairs for about 10 usd. Get a heat gun, watch some youtube videos about soldering and do it yourself. You can learn it in like 1 hour.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah it's pretty short lived.

I use the 3 hours rest mode when going to bed for charging but when I have the opportunity I'll buy the official charging station (thx 2 DeepEnigma DeepEnigma ) and a second dual sense.
Until then I'll manage, first world problems and all.

Last edited:
Yeah I used to get the battery low notification way too often so I just decided to get a long USB extension and play wired. No more worries about that shit again. The same cable works on xbox, so I use that wired too. Its nice because they are also charged while playing so you can easily switch between wired and wireless.

oji-san

Banned
It's not optimal, but i manage to use it quite good tbh, just charging it after 1 or 2 session, i treat it like it my phone, kinda.. i charge it with the usb cable included to a usb wall charger or whatever it's called, once a day or 2 and i'm all set to go.
But yes the battery life is shorter then the DualShock 4 and i even don't use any of the vibration etc.

Hero_Select

The dualsense battery life is so fucking horrible that it actively pushes me away from buying games for the PS5 if they're available elsewhere. It's abysmal and embarrassing.

The dualsense battery life is so fucking horrible that it actively pushes me away from buying games for the PS5 if they're available elsewhere. It's abysmal and embarrassing.
I know your pain. That's why I changed all the batteries on my Dualsense controllers.

2600/2650 batteries are way better than this 1560mah garbage.

Iced Arcade

2 controller and a charging Dock and no issues so far.

Life doesn't come remotely close to my Xbox controller but I'd imagine a lot of is things like lights, touch pad, speaker, triggers etc

Aenima

2 controller and a charging Dock. Battery not an issue
This right here.

Ppl are sleeping on how great charging docks are, to the point you can have only 1 controller, as long you place your controller on the dock every time you not playing, baterry will not be an issue. 2 controllers in case of very long gameplay sessions to easy swap controllers.

I have a charging dock with 2 controllers and my controller rarelly runs out of battery, cuz every time i pick it to play something the controller is fully charged.
Considering a fully charged Dualsense controller lasts 10-14h of gameplay, you needed to play for that long without charging to swap controllers.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I don't have problems with DS4/DualSense battery life but I really wish Europe imposed AA/AAA or/and replaceable batteries for all controllers in market, and phones/tablets. It could really help worldwide.
Internal non replaceable batteries on every thing is a pure non sense for our future, it's a waste of energy and ressources.

Top Bottom