• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All I want from a Playstation controller is better battery life?

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I just have a charging dock and make sure it’s sitting on it when not in use.

If you do that then you’ll never run out of charge, unless you’re playing for 8+ hours a day, in which case you’ll need to buy a 2nd controller and always keep one on the dock.

I just have a charging dock and make sure it’s sitting on it when not in use.

If you do that then you’ll never run out of charge, unless you’re playing for 8+ hours a day, in which case you’ll need to buy a 2nd controller and always keep one on the dock.

Battery will die in a couple of years if you do this.

Battery life is rated in charge cycles. You deplete one the moment you start recharging. Even if it is from 50%.

Hate to say this but either you need Sony to put in bigger battery or give option of AA so you can get 2500 mAH ones.

RyanEvans21

Battery life is rated in charge cycles. You deplete one the moment you start recharging. Even if it is from 50%.

Hate to say this but either you need Sony to put in bigger battery or give option of AA so you can get 2500 mAH ones.

Never had an issue with my PS4 controller though. and most charging dock have protection to "Overcharge Charging".

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Couple of years? My PS4 controllers lasted all last gen doing this.

You should easily get 10 years minimum, possibly 20-50 years.

Seriously, I just want the standard Playstation 5 controller with a much better battery. I don't want the professional gaming enhancements. Surely there is a quite sizable market of people just like me?
Yep. Totally agree. It's by far the worst of the 3 systems in terms of battery.

Xbox is the worst in terms of lacking gyro and having clicky buttons.

Switch Pro controller is pretty much fine with me. There's not much difference.

Dual Shock 5 feels slightly more high end, and the rumble is nice.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Seriously, I just want the standard Playstation 5 controller with a much better battery. I don't want the professional gaming enhancements. Surely there is a quite sizable market of people just like me?
Dude just buy another control and put the empty one to chargue. Rotate and repeat.

Topher

Gold Member
Star Trek GIF

Banned
all I want in PS controllers is better fucking sticks...

4, FOUR CONTROLLERS have stick drift, all have the exact same drift... a friend of mine also has the same drift on 2 controllers... and a few weeks ago my launch PS5 controller also started to have the same fucking drift.

it's the left stick that drifts upwards sporadically and also starts having a dead angle near the top.
ON FOUR FUCKING CONTROLLERS... including the Dualsense now too...

I can't wait for a good Hall Effect stick controller to release for PS5. but Sony seems to be especially big dipshits this gen and seem to not allow third party controllers currently. that's what it seems like at least. and of course the dipshittery doesn't end there as they also block PS4 controllers in PS5 games :)

honestly, the battery, while not great, is good enough for me. but those fucking sticks! :mad:

😩 rant over

Last edited:

Barakov

There definitely is. Honestly, given how close I am to my tv I'd take a wired dualsence at this point.

jaysius

Banned
Even old Official Xbox Battery packs have a better battery life than my old Dualshock 4.

Sony likes it's users to buy new controllers when the battery life decreases, it's part of their business plan.

Banned
Even old Official Xbox Battery packs have a better battery life than my old Dualshock 4.

I currently use an official Microsoft play&charge kit and I literally can't remember when I last charged it... I think it was a week or so ago, and I played through the first character in Raw Danger (XBSX2 Emulator) with that charge, play 1 hour of Fortnite almost daily, started playing Maximo (XBSC2) and Onimusha 2 (XBSC2)... and I bet a few other things too... all on one charge!

using some really high end AA will most likely give you even longer battery life.

I use rechargable AA in my secondary controllers

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
AA is the way to go for sure. 8bitdo and Microsoft do it right... although arguably Microsoft should include a battery pack as a default pack in like 8bitdo does.
Shit my 8bitdo SN30Pro+ that I use constantly has incredible battery life with the battery pack it came with. It's like Sony picks the worse batteries, probably the cheapest sources, and don't optimize their controllers to use the shitty batteries, it's probably all the useless gimmicks that fuck with the battery life.

Banned
Shit my 8bitdo SN30Pro+ that I use constantly has incredible battery life with the battery pack it came with.

yeah and once it will go bad, just plonk in some AA and you're covered

It's like Sony picks the worse batteries, probably the cheapest sources, and don't optimize their controllers to use the shitty batteries, it's probably all the useless gimmicks that fuck with the battery life.

the LED in the Dualshock 4 for sure had battery implications. that thing was super bright in order to get through the thick diffusion layer of the LED bar

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Have had zero issues with the battery life. That's with using all the features the controller has for most games that support it (which is a lot).

I don't get the gripe with ps's battery life. The most play time I ever put into video games was years ago when we used to play the nhl games religiously and our xbox controllers used to chew through AA's like tik tacs.

Never had an issue with my PS4 controller though. and most charging dock have protection to "Overcharge Charging".

Couple of years? My PS4 controllers lasted all last gen doing this.

You should easily get 10 years minimum, possibly 20-50 years.

Dead battery by definition means when it can hold 60% or less charge than original.

You can keep running it beyond that. But there is a risk of it puffing up.

In your case you were lucky.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Dead battery by definition means when it can hold 60% or less charge than original.

You can keep running it beyond that. But there is a risk of it puffing up.

In your case you were lucky.
What if it doesn’t fall below 60% in say 30 years? I think you’re seriously underestimating the life of batteries.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I have to controllers and a ps docking station, at worst I have to switch controllers mid game, but the fact that they are always fully charged means I dont have any problem. Can't remember the last time I played more than 5h in one sitting etc..

IFireflyl

Gold Member

You should let the battery get all the way down to 0 per cent before recharging​

False

Strangely enough, batteries are under the most strain when they're fully charged or completely empty. The real sweet spot for a battery is 50 per cent charge as that means that half of its moveable lithium ions are in the lithium cobalt oxide layer and the other half are in the graphite layer. This equilibrium puts the least amount of strain on the battery, and extends the number of charge cycles it can withstand before degrading.

So really, if you were super-keen on keeping your battery living as long as possible, you should keep its charge between 20 and 80 per cent. This means that it spends as little time as possible with lots of lithium ions crammed into either layer, a situation which causes the layers to expand, putting physical strain on them.

Source: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/how-to-improve-battery-life-tips-myths-smartphones

kapshin

i wish the controllers would go into "super low power" mode when you use the youtube app. that would help me out a lot.
Good idea, if you want to switch content who cares about waiting 1-2 seconds for it to wake up. That would be fine with me

Wohc

Banned
I don't get the gripe with ps's battery life. The most play time I ever put into video games was years ago when we used to play the nhl games religiously and our xbox controllers used to chew through AA's like tik tacs.
Convinience. Why are digital games so popular? Because people don't have to move their lazy asses to the console. Same reason for battery life. People don't want to move to the console that often to plug it in.

What if it doesn’t fall below 60% in say 30 years? I think you’re seriously underestimating the life of batteries.

LMAO dude, serious ? 30 yrs? All batteries I have ever used give up completely after 6-7 years. Like, 0 charge.

Yeah, 20-80 % is good idea. I like to keep mine between 10-95%. Don't have to keep topping up all the time.

Bringing it down to 0% so device shuts down should be avoided.

Last edited:
because the battery life is crap? my PS4 controllers weren't lasting long and i had to keep my second one plugged in to charge.

my xbox controller and switch pro controllers have way more battery life. if the switch pro can get good battery life there's no reason sony can't do the same. i prefer xbox controller because if the battery gets low i can quickly put new batteries in. the battery life on xbox is really good and i mean a lot better than sony.

Last edited:

lucius

I mean your going to have to pay more for better battery in some way, just get the official controller charger and another Dualsense , I never run out of juice. Its great on PC too the front pad and gyro can be useful in emulation and some games. Only thing I wish they copied from Series is the double tap sync the switching back and forth from PC or another device is faster.

Battery life improvements would be nice, but I’d prefer if Sony just lets us play PS5 games with the DS4. Or release those 3rd party Dual Sense variants so they can release one that is basically the DS4.

OZ9000

Banned
Just give me the fucking DualSense with AA battery support so I can slap some beautiful eneloops in there and be done with it. Tired of this sub 8 hour battery life bullshit.
So goddamn true.

The PS5 controller is such a dream to use and feels so well built.

However the battery fucking sucks, esp compared to my Xbox controller which lasts 1-2 weeks before charging my Eneloops.

The best controller would be a Dualsense with removable batteries.

Make it happen Sony FFS.

jm89

So goddamn true.

The PS5 controller is such a dream to use and feels so well built.

However the battery fucking sucks, esp compared to my Xbox controller which lasts 1-2 weeks before charging my Eneloops.

The best controller would be a Dualsense with removable batteries.

Make it happen Sony FFS.
People bitched all of last gen about the ds4 and sony responded by making another controller with even worse battery life. They don't give a shit.

Only hope is a decent third party battery with higher capacity. There are some on amazon but those aren't much of an improvement.

I was hoping the dualsense edge would have improved battery life, but there is no mention of that anywhere so I'm assuming no.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
How long are your typical gaming session ?
Because I have no complaints here, DS4 or DualSense, I never run out of battery even after long night session.

However, even if I prefer by FAR DualShock 4 and DualSense in hands (Microsoft lost me after the Xbox 360 controller which is still better in my hands than their new iteration), Microsoft clearly does better here, battery speaking, having CHOICE is clearly superior and nothing beats the wonderful ENELOOP from Panasonic, they last so long.

Last edited:
Get the converter for an Xbox controller so it an be detected by the PS5 (or 4 if Xbox One controller), now you have long lasting AA battery life.

How long are your typical gaming session ?
Because I have no complaints here, DS4 or DualSense, I never run out of battery even after long night session.

However, even if I prefer by FAR DualShock 4 and DualSense in hands (Microsoft lost me after the Xbox 360 controller which is still better in my hands than their new iteration), Microsoft clearly does better here, battery speaking, having CHOICE is clearly superior and nothing beats the wonderful ENELOOP from Panasonic, they last so long.

not everyone keeps replugging the controller, especially since that quickly permanently reduced your max capacity.

Top Bottom