• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PlayStation the apple of consoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like ppl are eating up this PlayStation portal thing. I just can’t see dropping like 300 bucks on something to turn it into a Wii U. 500 bucks on ps5 and another 300 for this. That 800 bucks all together. The fact I believe all it can do is remote play. Like damn. Y’all can do that with your phones. If you have a iPad, can do it there and it a bigger screen and they can do alot more. Just connect y’all controller to it. I’m afraid not the next gen, but the next next gen. When Xbox more likely want be in the consoles market anymore. The PlayStation 7 gonna be like 700-800 bucks. The PlayStation hardcore just eat up anything they throw at the sticky board.

There are so many people that have only one TV at home and if your partner or kids are using it you cun just pick up this and play
I get that. I’m sure they have a table now days. Don’t get me wrong. They’re ppl out there with only 1 tv and heck maybe not a tablet. But I’m sure they have a smartphone that does the job just as well. Heck u can get one less than 50 bucks with that. Hell. Lot of times when you trade in for your new phone. Att give you a iPad. Not the best one and not the one with lot of memory.

MiguelItUp

Apple is so full of themselves when it comes to pricing IMO, I don't think I'd compare PlayStation to them. Here the PS Portal is $200, and honestly, the device in general is pretty niche IMO. If you have a computer/laptop, a tablet, a phone, you can just do the same thing there, and maybe even get better performance. You can even use a PS5 controller so you're not using some weird fat one, lol.

I think with inflation and costs going up, prices are just going to raise period, and not just for PlayStation.

Last edited:

Crayon

I believe they are inching in that direction. Like trying to be what they call a lifestyle brand. The perception of playstation has definitely changed over the years. Seems like more normies are likeley to say "Yeah I got a PS5" like it's a flex. That would have only been impressive among the enthusiasts 10 years ago.

As for the prices? Eh they are not exactly rocketing up. More like creeping up.

I would also say though that apple does have things in the lineup that are reasonably priced. A little premium over competitors, but not crazy.

I get that. I’m sure they have a table now days. Don’t get me wrong. They’re ppl out there with only 1 tv and heck maybe not a tablet. But I’m sure they have a smartphone that does the job just as well. Heck u can get one less than 50 bucks with that. Hell. Lot of times when you trade in for your new phone. Att give you a iPad. Not the best one and not the one with lot of memory.
You still need to connect a dualsense in the tablet, not as comfortable as the ps portal

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They go for a similar premium marketing vibe. And I think they rank near the top on that brand loyalty survey people were linking here a while back, near Apple. There are some similarities.

Duchess

xdr-stand-999.jpg

$969 more than Sony's charging for their one :pie_invert:

Last edited:

A.Romero

Well, in some aspects. However, PS3 showed that they can't set any price they want and get away with it.

They do have some kind of a walled garden but at the same time they are more lenient with accesories than the competition.

Now that I think about it I don't think Sony is like Apple.

Mr.Phoenix

hehehehe.... this PS remote thing is just another glaring example of how out of touch GAF(and Era) is. And amin media in general which is usually just an echo chamber of those two sites.

I called it though, I always said that this thing should be treated like a $200 pro controller. If devices like that can exist and do well, then this will too. An argument can be made that this has more of a use and function than a pro controller with back buttons and trigger stops.

Raonak

Banned

People will (rightfully) pay for convenience.

Have you ever tired remote playing on a phone/tablet? It's usable, but so inconvenient that I never ever want to use it.
I don't want to drain my phone battery. I don't want to connect my controller to it. I don't want to have to prop up my screen. I don't want to look at my tablet from a distance away. etc.

For someone like me, having a way to easily play my PS5 games without occupying the TV is a big advantage.

And it's only $200 - a backbone controller is half the price for what is just a mobile controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom