• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All new Lupin III animated TV series coming in 2015, to air in Italy first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crunchyroll will begin streaming the blue jacket series from January 7th!

WRTgNWn.jpg

The popular streaming website will make all episodes up to episode 14 available for viewing on January the 7th in United States, Canada, Central and South America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Scandinavia, and the Netherlands. The episodes will be viewable only to members of the service.

All future episodes of the series will air at the same time as their Japanese counterparts, kicking off with episode 15 at 11:30am Pacific Time on January the 7th.

This is fantastic news for Lupin fans in the West.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/12/28/crunchyroll-to-stream-lupin-the-3rd-part-4-anime

8gzFhXol.jpg

There will also be a 90 minute TV special airing on January 8th in Japan. Titled, "Italian Game", the special stars the blue jacket cast and includes a brand new animated opening from Koji Morimoto (The Animatrix, Short Peace, Memories.)

has this series been good so far? I enjoyed the last series (the fujiko one)

Yes, it has been very good. The tone is incredibly different from Fujiko Mine, though, and is more in tune with the 1977 - 1980 red jacket stuff, with some late green jacket mixed in for good measure.

I'd say it's worth a shot, but be aware that it is quite different to Fujiko.

any news on dubbing? Sigh I miss Red Jacket series on adult swim

No info on dubbing yet. Crunchyroll will be streaming with English subtitles. Honestly, the Japanese cast is fantastic - if you can deal with subtitles, it's worth jumping in. I imagine FUNimation may pick it up for a dub eventually, but don't count on it.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
My only exposure to this is through Castle of Cagliostro, and I've just started the new series. Watched 2 episodes. Pretty good so far!

My only real criticism so far is the disguises: I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for cartoons like this, but the disguises seem too convenient. Every character seems able to pull out perfect lookalike costumes out of their asses. Is that a staple of the series? Was it ever explained how they manage to do that?

Camjo-Z

My only real criticism so far is the disguises: I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for cartoons like this, but the disguises seem too convenient. Every character seems able to pull out perfect lookalike costumes out of their asses. Is that a staple of the series? Was it ever explained how they manage to do that?

You're just supposed to accept that Lupin is a master of disguse and can pull out a flawless rubber mask lookalike of anyone he wants, whenever he wants, and the only people who can ever consistently see through them are the other members of his gang (and sometimes Zenigata, depending on how competent the writers decide to make him). It's not really explained how the other characters do it, but there is some consistency. If Fujiko is disguised she's usually undercover in some way and not attempting to impersonate anyone in particular like Lupin does. Jigen and Goemon don't tend to use disguises as often as Lupin but when they do they're usually shown to be roughly as skilled at it as he is, probably because he taught them.

My only exposure to this is through Castle of Cagliostro, and I've just started the new series. Watched 2 episodes. Pretty good so far!

Yeah, it's dumb, but it's Lupin. It's been that way since the original manga, I'm glad they haven't changed it. My favourite are the height-disguises. Sometimes the characters disguise will have them standing at a totally different height, and when they remove the costume, they just magically return back to their normal height.

Is the crunchyroll version censored?

Nope. It's 1:1 with the Japanese broadcast. Episode 10 "Lovesick Pig" has the more racy label drawn on the wine bottle, of a scantily clad woman with a pigs nose. In Italy, the label was redrawn in favour of a basic design with a rose, replacing the racy image.

I don't see it. What region is the new series on?

United States, Canada, Central and South America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Scandinavia, and the Netherlands.

Just a heads up:

A "TV special" recently aired in Japan, called Italian Game. The special is 90 minutes long, but it's more of a recap. Telecom have animated around 22 minutes of new footage, but the rest of the special is made up of animation from episodes 1, 3 and the unaired in Japan episode 23. The new animation ties all of them together. It's pretty disappointing if you have already seen episodes 1 and 3, as they're just repeated here in full.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You're just supposed to accept that Lupin is a master of disguse and can pull out a flawless rubber mask lookalike of anyone he wants, whenever he wants, and the only people who can ever consistently see through them are the other members of his gang (and sometimes Zenigata, depending on how competent the writers decide to make him). It's not really explained how the other characters do it, but there is some consistency. If Fujiko is disguised she's usually undercover in some way and not attempting to impersonate anyone in particular like Lupin does. Jigen and Goemon don't tend to use disguises as often as Lupin but when they do they're usually shown to be roughly as skilled at it as he is, probably because he taught them.

Yeah, it's dumb, but it's Lupin. It's been that way since the original manga, I'm glad they haven't changed it. My favourite are the height-disguises. Sometimes the characters disguise will have them standing at a totally different height, and when they remove the costume, they just magically return back to their normal height.

Thanks, Figured as much. Oh well, it's a minor complaint. As long as they don't use it all the time, I don't mind. It just felt off-putting and lazy in the first or second episode (can't remember) when people keep 1-upping each other, like "Haha, you were disguised, but so was I!"

Other than that I really enjoy it so far. Good fun adventures with some adult themes. Hits the spot as far as I'm concerned.

Camjo-Z

HOLY SHIT HOW DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THIS

So apparently Blue Jacket is getting an English dub... WITH THE RED JACKET CAST!?

Now I'm really glad that I was always too preoccupied with other things to ever get around to watching this series. Tony Oliver/Richard Epcar are by far my favorite Lupin/Jigen voices, Lex Lang was great as Goemon, and of course nobody can replace Michelle Ruff as Fujiko. Sucks that Zenigata's voice actor is the only one not returning, but hey, 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

CANNOT WAIT

Sorry to necro-bump the thread, but I'm catching up on this and it's fantastic. Surprised there doesn't seem to be much in the way of discussion about it? It's so smooth and well done imo.

Mega-bump.

This show will be coming to home video in the UK and the US next year. Discotek Media are handling the US release, which also includes the new English dub. The UK release will be handled by All The Anime, who are releasing the show as part of two sets, and are currently also trying to secure the English dub.

As Camjo-Z has written above, the English dub is quite exciting for this show, since a bunch of the voice actors from the Part II dub (red jacket) have gotten back together, reprising their original roles. This will be the first time Tony Oliver has played Lupin since the Part II dub, which is now over 10 years old. If you ever watched the red jacket show on Adult Swim back in the early 2000's, you're likely to recognise these voices.

Check out a trailer below:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/793303621815328768

Does the whole series have that style/quality of animation? It looks so damn good!

Yes, the blue jacket show has a surprisingly strong consistency of good animation, character modelling and camera shots.

As for the rest of the franchise, the animation style has varied greatly over the past 40 years. There are lots of different styles, some better than others.

The show is just alright, in my opinion. It tries to have an overarching storyline, and it doesn't really work, I feel. Plus, the stuff we're supposed to take seriously is pretty silly. Perhaps this is something that will work better with an English dub.

Blader

The show is just alright, in my opinion. It tries to have an overarching storyline, and it doesn't really work, I feel. Plus, the stuff we're supposed to take seriously is pretty silly. Perhaps this is something that will work better with an English dub.

This is basically where I fall on it too.

I thought it was fine overall, and it certainly *looks* great, but it felt like a bit of a drag at times to get through.

Mega-bump.

This show will be coming to home video in the UK and the US next year. Discotek Media are handling the US release, which also includes the new English dub. The UK release will be handled by All The Anime, who are releasing the show as part of two sets, and are currently also trying to secure the English dub.

As Camjo-Z has written above, the English dub is quite exciting for this show, since a bunch of the voice actors from the Part II dub (red jacket) have gotten back together, reprising their original roles. This will be the first time Tony Oliver has played Lupin since the Part II dub, which is now over 10 years old. If you ever watched the red jacket show on Adult Swim back in the early 2000's, you're likely to recognise these voices.

Check out a trailer below:

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/793303621815328768

Hearing those voices again gave me such a great rush of nostalgia. It's going to be such a treat to have Tony Oliver voicing Lupin once again.

Decado

This show is on Crunchyroll. Watched a couple episodes. Prefer the recent ova.

One thing I don't like is the cheap mechanic of the perfect disguise where anyone can look like anyone. Seems lazy.

I actually agree with you. The one off format of the original three Lupin TV series was basically the perfect format. Imo, it always has been. As soon as they start trying to create longer, overarching stories, things usually go downhill. The one shot episodes in Part IV are excellent. The format just works. The episodes with the continuing plot definitely started to feel like a drag to me too. I wish they'd just ditch that stuff. Definitely think they'll make it more entertaining in the English dub though. Epcar and Stern like to have fun with the writing!

Who is playing Fujiko?

Loved the show. I don't watch much, but this was classic Lupin

Michelle Ruff will be returning to voice Fujiko. She's previously voiced her in the English dubs for Part II, Mystery of Mamo, and 2012's Fujiko Mine.

This show is on Crunchyroll. Watched a couple episodes. Prefer the recent ova.

One thing I don't like is the cheap mechanic of the perfect disguise where anyone can look like anyone. Seems lazy.

It's been like that since the original newspaper comics in the 1960's and I'd be pretty disappointed if they changed it. As goofy as it is, it is Lupin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom