• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupin the IIIRD: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone coming this June (from Takeshi Koike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n47bffYMLY1ra64mmo1_1280.jpg

Teaser Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsHxfS2CchQ

A brand new animated Lupin III feature film will be screening for a limited time in Japan this June. The film will run for 51 minutes in total and is a direct sequel to the 2012 spin-off show, The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Takeshi Koike (character designer for The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and director of Redline) will be directing the film. Many of the animators behind Redline will be joining him as well as James Shimoji, who will be composing the films soundtrack.

Jigen will be once again voiced by the legendary Kiyoshi Kobayashi. Kobayashi, who recently celebrated his 81st birthday, has been voicing the character for over forty years.

The film will air in cinemas between the 21st to the 27th of June.

Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine centered on the character Fujiko Mine, and depicted her and the rest of the Lupin III cast during their younger days. Koike said of the new film, “I wanted to try to depict how Lupin and Jigen became partners.”

Yu Kiyozono (Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Lupin the 3rd: Green vs Red) is producing the film. Kiyozono said of the project, “Since The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, I have been thinking that I want to continue to create even more spinoffs with a new, cool Lupin III.”

The film will have a limited special screening at Tokyo’s Shinjuku Wald 9 theatre in early summer.

Oh come on, just let Koike do his own thing, don't force him to make this the Fujikoike sequel!

Still excited, since this has to be more interesting than a Detective Conan crossover. Blue Jacket Lupin is interesting, as is the eyepatch. But the art seems a bit humorless, having to tie in with the recent show. Maybe Koike will finally make Lupin look crazy?

I still haven't seen anything of Lupin. I need to rectify that. But where to start?
The 1971 series recently got an excellent Region 1 box-set from Discotek. Its opening episodes, directed by ex-puppet theatre director Masaaki Osumi, are surprisingly subtle, visually poetic, and generally well-written, dealing with themes more mature than most in the Lupin canon. After he got booted, Miyazaki and Takahata made this series their first experience doing TV anime; the resulting episodes can range in quality, but are a bundle of fun.

I still haven't seen anything of Lupin. I need to rectify that. But where to start?

There are various retellings of his the characters met, with The Woman called Fujiko Mine being the latest. This film is a bit of a sequel to it, but you can also just watch all the parts of the original series or the various films if you want to witness the older action, since for the most part they're pretty self-contained.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
If it's getting a limited cinema run how soon before it'll get a DVD release, same as the usual anime movies or a shorter time period?

I hope Discotek gets the home video rights to this spinoff feature. Never rule out Funimation, of course, but the former company's treating Lupin just right.

The 1971 series recently got an excellent Region 1 box-set from Discotek. Its opening episodes, directed by ex-puppet theatre director Masaaki Osumi, are surprisingly subtle, visually poetic, and generally well-written, dealing with themes more mature than most in the Lupin canon. After he got booted, Miyazaki and Takahata made this series their first experience doing TV anime; the resulting episodes can range in quality, but are a bundle of fun.

This is an excellent suggestion. I'd highly recommend starting with green jacket. The Discotek set is great, but if you wish to save a few pennies, I suggest waiting a month. Right Stuf will be selling a re-print of the Discotek set with new package art (but no extra features) at a discounted price point.

I also got into the series through watching the red jacket dubs, however I feel that the green jacket show is more consistently good. Don't let the first few episodes put you off. They are much more mature than some of the later ones. I still love them though and I think Dragoon explains them wonderfully.

If you want to watch something more up-to-date, I suggest the 2012 TV Special, Another Page. I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this film and it quickly became one of my favourite Lupin features. Other recommendations from me are Plot of the Fuma Clan, Voyage to Danger and The Castle of Cagliostro (of course.)

As for Koike bLupin, I'm not sure on the DVD release. FUNimation picked up Fujiko in the US and Manga UK released it on DVD and Blu Ray in Europe (it was included on HMV shelves.) I am hoping this film will be dubbed by the FUNi cast, as I think they did a pretty solid job with Fujiko. It's likely, as Fujiko did seem to do well for them.

LordCanti

I'm interested to see what they can do with a second chance (I really didn't love where Fujiko's show went. If
Zenigata gets laid
something has gone horribly wrong. Not that I didn't have far more problems with it than that.

The character designs are looking great though.

Bleh nothing it's probably the finest Lupin movie.

Pappasman

Looks awesome. I really liked parts of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine but the second half ended up being pretty bad. I really hope this movie is better.

Color me excited. I loved Series 1 and 2 (3 not so much) and the Fujiko series was pretty good. I generally enjoy the yearly specials as well (still haven't seen this year's though).

Jigen is my favorite character, besides Zenigata, so I'm pretty excited about a show dedicated to him.

jett

D-Member
Visually it's pretty nice, but I didn't dig Fujiko Mine. I'm in for Kokie though. For now...I think I'm gonna rewatch the 1971 series. :p

TDLink

it starts and ends with castle of caligostro

No. It's a great movie but not a great Lupin movie. Extremely out of character for all of the cast. There are plenty of other great Lupin films and episodes of the TV series. Cagliostro is very different from all of them. Sure, watch it, it's Miyazaki and great and all...but there is so much more to Lupin.

Blader

Sounds good to me. I actually really liked Woman Named Mine Fujiko, even though I couldn't tell you a thing about the plot. It was just a lot of fun and oozed style. Looking forward to more of it.

The latest TV special, Princess of the Breeze, had a fair few nods to Cagliostro in it. There was a castle, for starters. There are a couple of scenes that are more or less identical to the Miyazaki film and they even have Treasures of Time playing in the background. They recorded an English version of the song for the credits theme, too.

Overall, the special wasn't great. The story wasn't compelling and the Cagliostro references felt too shoehorned in. I would recommend watching either the 2011 or the 2012 special over this one by a mile. I quite liked some of the art though, especially the environments and backdrops.

Also, my favourite art style is still Fuma: (GIF in context: Zenigata thinks Lupin is dead, accidentally passes him in a police car, spots him out of the window.)

LeleSocho

Banned
Still have to watch The Woman Called Fujiko Mine because a Lupin anime that revolves around Fujiko sounds boring but from the title alone this sounds super cool.

flozuki

No. It's a great movie but not a great Lupin movie. Extremely out of character for all of the cast. There are plenty of other great Lupin films and episodes of the TV series. Cagliostro is very different from all of them. Sure, watch it, it's Miyazaki and great and all...but there is so much more to Lupin.

Maybe, but that was the stuff I loved. Was hoping for more movies like Cagliostro :/

Are there other Lupin movies with this kind of humor?

Maybe, but that was the stuff I loved. Was hoping for more movies like Cagliostro :/

Are there other Lupin movies with this kind of humor?

Plot of the Fuma Clan is a better Lupin film than Cagliostro in my opinion and it is very similar in terms of style and humour. I'd recommend it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Fujiko was disgustingly bad apart from two episodes, so it's really hard to look forward to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom