• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupin the IIIRD: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone coming this June (from Takeshi Koike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed the Fujiko Mine series. I'm on board with this real quick!

Fujiko was disgustingly bad apart from two episodes, so it's really hard to look forward to this.

Ha. Fujiko was certainly a marmite show, people either love it or hate it. At the time, I hated it. It wasn't the Lupin I knew and loved and by about episode six or seven, I was throwing a big wobbly and refusing the watch any more. Zenigata getting laid with a criminal while on the job was strike one. Zenigata shooting at Lupin and trying to kill him was strike two. The all girls school episode with Oscar was strike three. I was done.

Seeing as though I'm a collector though, I picked it up on Blu Ray regardless since Manga UK released it here. I decided to give it another shot and I ended up enjoying it. It's different. Initially I was pissed off that the first Lupin show we got since the 80's was a radical a change as Fujiko was, but I think watching it a second time I finally accepted it for what it was. The depictions of the characters still aren't great, but I guess if they were going for that "hard and dangerous" style of series they did OK.

That said, not everyone is going to like it. I have more faith in the film because I prefer the staff. Plus, it seems they have had way longer to plan and produce it than they did the show. If it's good enough, I'm hoping we see more of blue jacket.

Ha. Fujiko was certainly a marmite show, people either love it or hate it. At the time, I hated it. It wasn't the Lupin I knew and loved and by about episode six or seven, I was throwing a big wobbly and refusing the watch any more. Zenigata getting laid with a criminal while on the job was strike one. Zenigata shooting at Lupin and trying to kill him was strike two. The all girls school episode with Oscar was strike three. I was done.

Seeing as though I'm a collector though, I picked it up on Blu Ray regardless since Manga UK released it here. I decided to give it another shot and I ended up enjoying it. It's different. Initially I was pissed off that the first Lupin show we got since the 80's was a radical a change as Fujiko was, but I think watching it a second time I finally accepted it for what it was. The depictions of the characters still aren't great, but I guess if they were going for that "hard and dangerous" style of series they did OK.

That said, not everyone is going to like it. I have more faith in the film because I prefer the staff. Plus, it seems they have had way longer to plan and produce it than they did the show. If it's good enough, I'm hoping we see more of blue jacket.

I agree with everything you said. There were definitely two things in The Woman called Fujiko Mine that weren't too great to me:

1. Oscar. All of him. He shouldn't have existed.
  2. Super-serious, lusty, Lupin-homicidal Zenigata. Ugh.
I felt Zenigata's character was botched really badly; I want the old inept, slapstick but extremely lucky detective surrounded by hordes of henchmen riot police back, not that weird version. Oscar felt too forced for me, his appearance, character, everything, I just didn't like him.

Other than that, I liked the overall dark spy direction of Fujiko Mine, I just hope they return Zenigata back to his original form; him acting as the comic foil in a dark spy setting would work really well.

Also, green jacket all the way

Blader

Still have to watch The Woman Called Fujiko Mine because a Lupin anime that revolves around Fujiko sounds boring but from the title alone this sounds super cool.

It only really revolves around her for the first few episodes. While she's central to the plot for the whole thing, most episodes either focus on others or on more of an ensemble.

TDLink

If I wanted to show someone Lupin, what series/movies would you guys recommend?

One of the 90s or early 2000s specials/movies.

A few I would recommend to start:

• Operation Return the Treasure
  • Alcatraz Connection
  • Farewell to Nostradamus

Cagliostro is a good movie, but if you're trying to get someone into Lupin it isn't really the best thing. The characters aren't really themselves in that. Good movie, bad Lupin movie basically.

If you are aiming for TV series try the Red Jacket one (Series 2). Although, personally I think Lupin works a bit better in long form.

There are over 30 films now, so plenty to choose from.

TDLink

Absolutely, that's why i'm way more a fan of the series than clusters of movies.
I actually think that all the movies are pretty bad no one excluded.

I think you misread my post. I meant I like the Lupin movies better than the series. Lupin works better over ~90 minute stories rather than ~20 minutes. Usually. Although I still enjoy the three television series.

Not all the films are great, or even good. And to an extent, it's hard to maintain quality when there's at least one (and sometimes more) film a year for the past few decades. That being said, there are quite a few that are pretty good and they're worth checking out. And I say this having seen all of them bar the last three annuals (although I did see the awful second conan crossover). I need to catch up.

The TV series is equally hit and miss from episode to episode, it's just you're only invested in the story for 20 minutes either way.

LeleSocho

Banned
I think you misread my post. I meant I like the Lupin movies better than the series. Lupin works better over ~90 minute stories rather than ~20 minutes. Usually. Although I still enjoy the three television series.

Not all the films are great, or even good. And to an extent, it's hard to maintain quality when there's at least one (and sometimes more) film a year for the past few decades. That being said, there are quite a few that are pretty good and they're worth checking out. And I say this having seen all of them bar the last three annuals (although I did see the awful second conan crossover). I need to catch up.

The TV series is equally hit and miss from episode to episode, it's just you're only invested in the story for 20 minutes either way.

Ha! I thought you meant "long" as in "series which is longer than a movie", couldn't disagree more then :D

I think that on the average the number of good episodes per series is higher than good movies per filmography.

I whipped up some posters and wallpapers featuring some of the new artwork. I have limited skills in digital art, but I tried my best. You can find them here: posters, wallpapers.

tumblr_n4aono9sKU1ra64mmo1_500.jpg
tumblr_n4anmyKBIj1ra64mmo4_1280.jpg

Cwarrior

yep Jigen was the only really good episode of that bad fujiko mine series.

I believe in koike......as long as mari okada isn't involved.

Ezalc

Aw yeah Koike, at least the art looks awesome. I liked the art in the Fujiko series but I've never known much of Lupin as a whole so I can't comment on story. Will watch though.

Best theme song in all of history.
I agree, love how Charlie Kosei keeps saying Lupin over and over again.

Must have never clicked before but he bears a resemblance to Elliott Gould in The Long Goodbye.
That movie came out in 1973, though. Lupin's more meant to be the modern, late-'60s version of his grandfather.

If I wanted to show someone Lupin, what series/movies would you guys recommend?
Not Cagliostro, at least not yet. One of the later Red Jacket episodes (done by Telecom, preferably) would do the trick, as would Mystery of Mamo or Bye Bye Liberty Crisis. If your dude's feeling adventurous, early Green Jacket's readily available.

Clov

I loved how they handled Jigen in Fujiko Mine, so I'm so down for this.

Yep, he was my favorite part of the series. I liked it, but it had a few episodes that were pretty weak. Style was great, though.

It's going to be great to see what Koike can do with the Lupin franchise! Redline was a lot of fun (especially if you see it in a theater!), so hopefully this turns out well.

This is a bit of a bump! The film has now released on DVD and Blu Ray in Japan. I'm just done watching the Blu Ray version and I would like to post some spoiler-free impressions.

As no English subtitles are included, I watched the film in Japanese. Whilst my understanding of the language is very slight, I felt that I understood the story well enough to form an opinion and concoct the following impressions:

tumblr_nfzb65jHv61ra64mmo4_1280.png

Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone is a slick, stylish interpretation of the Lupin franchise that fits nicely onto the end of the Fujiko Mine spin-off. It is similar not only in terms of the character art, but also in tone, storytelling and direction.

The film makes the most of its fifty minute slot and tells a well paced, interesting story. Takeshi Koike and Yuuya Takahashi have done a fantastic job avoiding the usual Lupin trope of introducing a flurry of pointless, uninteresting one-shot characters. Instead, the narrative focuses on Lupin, Jigen and Fujiko as they go up against the mysterious gunman, Jael Okuzaki - a worthy adversary for our partners in crime.

tumblr_nfzb65jHv61ra64mmo3_1280.png

Okuzaki is a cool villain and one that fits comfortably alongside the other characters. Often, when Lupin TV specials turn the spotlight towards individuals other than the main five, it feels disappointing. That is certainly not the case here. Everybody in the film gets just the right amount of screen time and I particularly enjoyed the scenes with Okuzaki setting up his gun. The attention to detail is great.

The presentation is solid, though there are still a couple of off-model shots here and there. It's nice to see the Fujiko Mine character art return and it's obvious that production was much tighter here, in comparison to the animation of the TV show. The car chase looked particularly great, but I couldn't help but notice that it was mostly all featured inside of a tunnel with no other cars on the road. This seems like an incredibly easy route to take, from an animation perspective.

tumblr_nfzb65jHv61ra64mmo1_1280.png

Yuji Ohno's absence is of no concern here (but don't worry, we still love you, Mr. Ohno!) James Shimoji has done an impeccable job of scoring the flick and his smooth, low-key tracks fit the tone perfectly. I just could not imagine hearing Ohno's trademark music here, as with Fujiko Mine. As cheesy as the lyrics are, Revolver Fires is a great ending theme and it helps play upon the episodic nature of the film.

There is one incredibly strange scene in the film, which concerns Fujiko. To me, it felt like a desperate attempt to be surreal and it isn't one I could appreciate (I was more freaked out, than anything.) The lack of Goemon and Zenigata was also a disappointment, but given the reduced running time, it's something I can forgive.

tumblr_nfzb65jHv61ra64mmo2_1280.png

Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone is not your usual Lupin film. It's dark and different - just as was Fujiko Mine. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, as it isn't mine. I would highly suggest giving it a watch if you enjoyed the spin-off series, or if you are quite happy accepting a gorier, more adult Lupin.

Now, the following which contains spoilers! Don't say I didn't warn you!

A huge surprise to me was the shot at the end of the film. Mamo is back. The same villain that graced cinema screens in the very first Lupin feature film, way back in 1978. I do not know how to feel about this. While his presence in the film is brief, it's a cool nod to old Lupin. At the same time, he felt a bit shoehorned in.

Why is Mamo there? Perhaps Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone fancies itself as a prequel to The Mystery of Mamo. The Fujiko Mine spin-off was marketed as an origins story, after all. It would also now make sense why Inspector Zenigata figured Lupin for dead at the start of Mamo. A shot with him standing over the trio's graves at the end could well have fooled him into thinking he's gone - which in turn, would lead him to the coffin shown at the start of The Mystery of Mamo. If this is the case, it's super clever and I approve.

There is also a major chance this could be setting up the new TV series, which is to air next spring. The promotional art shows Lupin, Jigen and Fujiko donning the same colour schemes as this film. The lack of Goemon in said art also suggests that it may well be a direct follow up, as the samurai has currently gone AWOL in the Fujiko Mine storyline (although he would tend to do this back in the original shows, too.) Could a re-written Mamo be a big villain in the upcoming series?

I tried to get into the Fujiko Mine series (I like the art style), but it's just way to trippy and melancholy, which is a shitty combination in my opinion, with that said would you recommend this movie to me. Also it being on the dark and serious side doesn't bother me.

I tried to get into the Fujiko Mine series (I like the art style), but it's just way to trippy and melancholy, which is a shitty combination in my opinion, with that said would you recommend this movie to me. Also it being on the dark and serious side doesn't bother me.

Honestly, not really. It's still pretty melancholy and it has an uncomfortably weird, trippy part with Fujiko. I wasn't a big fan of the Fujiko Mine series for similar reasons to you and the same applies with this film.

It's not bad by any means and I think people should give it a shot and make their own minds up. Still, as with Fujiko Mine, it's not the Lupin I know and love and I find it difficult to recommend to people that didn't enjoy that series.

Has Funi announced this for US release? The TV show was a bit of a mess but there's no denying that style. Really want to see this, enjoy Koike quite a bit.

Honestly, not really. It's still pretty melancholy and it has an uncomfortably weird, trippy part with Fujiko. I wasn't a big fan of the Fujiko Mine series for similar reasons to you and the same applies with this film.

It's not bad by any means and I think people should give it a shot and make their own minds up. Still, as with Fujiko Mine, it's not the Lupin I know and love and I find it difficult to recommend to people that didn't enjoy that series.

It seems for the most part that, melancholy and trippy is what "blue jacket Lupin" is all about.

Has Funi announced this for US release? The TV show was a bit of a mess but there's no denying that style. Really want to see this, enjoy Koike quite a bit.

Not yet. It's likely going to be picked up at some point. I can't see them releasing Fujiko Mine and not this. The animation is mostly fantastic and if you enjoy Koike's style, then you should enjoy this (at least, from a visual point of view.)

It seems for the most part that, melancholy and trippy is what "blue jacket Lupin" is all about.

Seems so, but Lupin did don the green jacket in Fujiko Mine (though, he wore blue in promo art.) Hopefully the same will not be said of the new TV show, which is set to air next spring. Telecom are animating and a lot of the staff are from the Cagliostro era. I'm hoping for a more lighthearted, post-Masaaki Ōsumi green jacket affair... but it could go either way, at this point.

I loved every minute of Fujiko Mine, so I will definitely enjoy this film no matter what.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you will. It wasn't quite as bat-shit-insane as that show, but it reminded me of it in many ways. I mean, it is supposed to be a sequel, after all.

The Fujiko Mine series felt like a mess though. I enjoyed it, but the pacing was really strange.

Thankfully, the pacing for Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone is very good. They didn't go too over-board and it felt they were perfectly aware the movie was only 50 minutes long. Splitting it up into two parts also seems to have worked well - there's a nice break in the middle at a point that makes sense.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
thats great, i love me some Lupin

I also strongly recommend the second manga, if you can find it. Absolutely brilliant. Not that the first serie is bad, but Punch's line is really rough there

thats great, i love me some Lupin

I also strongly recommend the second manga, if you can find it. Absolutely brilliant. Not that the first serie is bad, but Punch's line is really rough there

Worlds Most Wanted is brilliant and it's a lot more akin to the later green jacket episodes.

The original manga was a newspaper comic, but that didn't stop MP from making the panels as detailed as possible. As a result though, everything is tiny and it's difficult to work out what's going on. MP's art style is cool, but it's certainly difficult to read. Especially in the 1967 stuff. The character personalities were also so inconsistent - at times, it was even hard to understand out who was who.

TimmiT

Just watched the movie and loved it. Only thing I didn't like was
the incredibly gory shot at the end. I get that this is supposed to be darker than other Lupin stuff, but that just felt out of place considering the rest of the movie nor the Fujiko Mine series ever got that gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom