• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

This is what I want to know. IIRC no other outlets have had access to the full game yet? Koozek's spoiler bits honestly sound interesting (not concerning) to me but I have a high tolerance for games that start well and end poorly.

Right I thought no one had played the entire game yet but they could have made an exception here with EDGE.

I don't want to read any more of it just in case but does he comment on the game's conclusion at all?

They mentioned one specific part as corridor like...the rest they just mention it being linear. There isn't much detail in the preview at all.

Yeah you're right, I'm just in panic mode here right now lol.

Another worrying thing that I read in the preview was this:
The battle system works well in small groups of enemies, and is at its best at those times when Noctis is forced to fight alone. The system comes close to falling apart completely during boss fights, as the camera swivels wildly to keep up with the action, often leaving you giddy and disoriented.

I won't read the spoilers of the second half of the game. But if it's about it being linear I thought this was already known?
I guess the issue is that people weren't expecting it to be this linear and so it's raising a couple of flags for some people, me included. Here's hoping for more previews of the second half.

Yeah I'm back. I was taking a media blackout but, screw it I like learning more about games. Also someone told me about this preview so I came to check.

Joqu

So,is the second half few hours (like 4-5 hours) or longer? Still don't understand that.

I mean, second half, to me, implies roughly half of your play time, but that might just be on me? I wouldn't be surprised if that section ends up being way shorter than that

Renmyra

So,is the second half few hours (like 4-5 hours) or longer? Still don't understand that.

I'm sure the second half is as long as the first. It's been said it's more linear because we'll travel by train. What happens between that and the end is anyone's guess.

LordKasual

Banned
Another small bit on the second half and how you can return to the first half:
To make clear the distinction between the two halves of the game, if you want to return to the open-world area you'll need to travel 'back in time' when at a save point. Once there, you can mop up any unresolved side-missions, until you're ready to return to the present.

That is....extremely odd. But not inherently bad or anything.
Afterall, OoT is considered one of the greatest games ever...?

So i guess that either means the second half is either on a completely different design philosophy, or
that the events are so severe that you just can't go to the other areas.

Don't really know how to feel about it, but it's pointless to judge the concept on face value with no context.

The information from this reveiw is either significant or "meh" depending on whether or not they actually completed the game, or played it to near completion.

I played FFXII for over 40 hours before i even got halfway through the game probably.

Hystzen

The question is all side stuff front half loaded or will some be unlocked for second half. If it all front loaded the last half might feel to brief or drag depending on the pacing

Renmyra

That is....extremely odd. But not inherently bad or anything.
Afterall, OoT is considered one of the greatest games ever...?

So i guess that either means the second half is either on a completely different design philosophy, or
that the events are so severe that you just can't go to the other areas.

Don't really know how to feel about it, but it's pointless to judge the concept on face value with no context.

The information from this reveiw is either significant or "meh" depending on whether or not they actually completed the game, or played it to near completion.

I played FFXII for over 40 hours before i even got halfway through the game probably.

Going back in time is probably just a technicality. In most games, NPCs in earlier areas usually have no change in their dialogue even when the world is going under. OoT isn't comparable at all. You go back and forth in time and it's an actual plot point.

The preview felt mostly like an introduction to new players who know nothing about the game.

So if it does turn out to be a MGSV situation, what will be the kicker?

Also, was Versus also going to be open world or was it supposed to be somewhat linear? Cause at first after reading the preview I began to wonder if Versus was actually closer to being done and the only thing the game was was missing the beginning and Tabata just added his version of it. Hence the almost complete change in design. I began to think that the first half of XV was Tabata's version and the second half of XV is a restructured version of the Versus saga.

But that sounds absolutely stupid since no one would ever do that.

OnFire331

Right I thought no one had played the entire game yet but they could have made an exception here with EDGE.

I don't want to read any more of it just in case but does he comment on the game's conclusion at all?

Well, he says this

But by its stentorian conclusion, it's difficult to shake a feeling of confusion.

But that's kind of contradictory, he basically says it's got a powerful ending but still left him confused. Actually, the preview contradicts itself multiple times, it's rather badly written.

Balls

Banned
What is the obsession with open world? It's like a game HAS to be open world for it to be considered any good. I always end up getting bored and burned out from open world games so I'm cool with it being more linear later on.

Also, was Versus also going to be open world or was it supposed to be somewhat linear? Cause at first after reading the preview I began to wonder if Versus was actually closer to being done and the only thing the game was was missing the beginning and Tabata just added his version of it. Hence the almost complete change in design. I began to think that the first half of XV was Tabata's version and the second half of XV is a restructured version of the Versus saga.

But why the MGS 5 comparison? The problem with MGS 5 is that it's second half you do the same missions (and some new few ones) of the first chapter but with a higher difficult level. I doubt this happens with FF XV.

Relax.

Zero context, zero detail. No idea how long the supposed
"Lone Noctis horror-style missions" last.
. Not gonna lose my mind over this...

I'll wait for official full reviews to hit or more second half previews.

Well, he says this

But that's kind of contradictory, he basically says it's got a powerful ending but still left him confused. Actually, the preview contradicts itself multiple times, it's rather badly written.

I noticed this as well for the little bit I did read. The thoughts are very poorly put together.

I'm sure the game will have more story and a proper conclusion than mgsv.. is it going to be good? that's another story. I don't understand the panic about the linear nature of the second half. Ultimately, The beef with mgsv is the incomplete ch2.

In regards to Versus it was never known if it was going to be open world, since they had trouble running the car on the world map during the PS3 days if I'm not mistaken.

Nya

I'm sure the game will have more story and a proper conclusion than mgsv.. is it going to be good? that's another story. I don't understand the panic about the linear nature of the second half.

Its not the linearity part i am worried about, its about how he describes it which worries me a lot.
Horror? Jump scares? RE like puzzles? Stealth? =/

Nya

Also, the part about the plot doesn't really bother me. The Last of Us didn't have a strong plot but what made it really great was the characters and their development. If the the elevation of characters in XV is the same as TLOU i'd be more than satisfied.

jimmypython

Small bits of the newest Edge issue's FFXV preview, where the author played 40 hours:

The elevation of supporting characters is designed to appeal to fans but it's been done at the expense of a strong plot.

[...]

In many of it's fragments of ideas and mechanics, FFXV shines. But by its stentorian conclusion, it's difficult to shake a feeling of confusion.

[...]

Full of hope, ambition and no shortage of things to see and do... Like a folly extended by successive architects, it's a peculiar artefact that can't escape it's past.​

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=223539203&postcount=58

!!! Second half spoilers !!!
"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches geenre, away from the open world desidn of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

Update:
To make clear the distinction between the two halves of the game, if you want to return to the open-world area you'll need to travel 'back in time' when at a save point. Once there, you can mop up any unresolved side-missions, until you're ready to return to the present.

Or bad directing skill as I put it. Good film directors NEVER ask movie goers what they like.

LordKasual

Banned
But why the MGS 5 comparison? The problem with MGS 5 is that it's second half you do the same missions (and some new few ones) of the first chapter but with a higher difficult level. I doubt this happens with FF XV.

Yeah, the problem with MGSV wasn't really a shift in design, it was a termination in content. The game started going up a hill and then just ended in a desert (lol literally). FFXV seems like its going from freedom to streamlined campaign, which isn't bad, but absolutely may feel jarring.

Anyway

I read the whole scan...it literally reads like a full-blown review of the game, so I'm assuming they've played the whole thing.

Is it common for reviews to go out so early before release? I know Square has been liberal with handing out playtime, but this is a bit crazy

Sorry guys when I mentioned MGSV I meant the reactions and negativity surrounding the game. Not that FFXV will have the same gameplay or missing ending (yes it's technically missing since the game just sort of stops) but that it will shock people the same way that V did when people realized that Snake never talked and that all the cutscenes erected basically shown. That's not the case with XV since we haven't seen the cutscenes from the other chapters yet.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Also, the part about the plot doesn't really bother me. The Last of Us didn't have a strong plot but what made it really great was the characters and their development. If the the elevation of characters in XV is the same as TLOU i'd be more than satisfied.
Based on the horrible dialogue alone the chances of this are incredibly minimal.

benzy

Its not the linearity part i am worried about, its about how he describes it which worries me a lot.

We saw stealth in a dungeon back in 2013.

9NFb.jpg

And we saw room puzzles at Siggraph this year, which looked pretty cool.

HospitableDecimalAnemoneshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Philippo

Well, he says this

I don't know, the first definition i found online for stentorian was "very loud", which doesn't necessarily mean powerful, and actually gives more sense to why the author felt confused afterwards.
Maybe there's just too much shit going on in the ending.

Renmyra

Based on the horrible dialogue alone the chances of this are incredibly minimal.

Do you never grow tired of shitting on the voice acting of this game? We heard you the first time.

Also, I'm not sure why people have a problem with horror, puzzles or stealth. FF7 has most of these elements, and it's the best game of all time.
Let's not argue best FF here.

Depends on the execution but if it's done well it could be rather enjoyable or really bad lol

Agreed, Also the supporting characters comment is kinda silly. I bet there's a lot of focus on Regis for example.

Sylas

I don't know, the first definition i found online for stentorian was "very loud", which doesn't necessarily mean powerful, and actually gives more sense to why the author felt confused afterwards.
Maybe there's just too much shit going on in the ending.
I fail to remember a FF game that has a conclusion that's absolutely easy to follow. Not to say this shouldn't/can't be different but insanity is kind of a series staple.

Do you never grow tired of shitting on the voice acting of this game? We heard you the first time.
Don't worry about it. Some people just don't like the acting. It's fine. I already had a one-sided argument with Crossing about it. I say one-sided cause there was no way I could refute all his evidences and showings during my average day.

LordKasual

Banned

I'm sure the idea was just put into words poorly. He was talking about the shift between the beginning and final half of the game.

The "very loud" part is referring to the ending, which may be spectacular. But the confusion is probably referring to the shift that happens in the journey getting there, not the ending itself.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The article has quite a few errors..."Sidney, Cid's daughter." Spelling "Stasis" as "Statis"

And it seems unclear how long this
stealth sections are going to last. Doesn't seem like they will have this for half the game

Second half stuff sounds interesting. Where I stand is that it's gonna divide people. It doesn't sound like they're playing it safe, which I do like, and I think it sounds interesting. It could also be terrible, but if the story and atmosphere is there, I'm game.

I also don't need everything to be
open world shenanigans and sometimes a more linear focus can be a good thing
, and I'm sure I'm in the minority with that, but it could be why I'm not necessarily reacting negatively to the information at this juncture.

I will say I'm glad I read it and have sort of an idea of what to expect.

I enjoy the dialogue I heard from the game a lot. It's still JRPG-y yeah but in the good sense imo. There's a real undeniable chemistry between the party members and I'm already attached to them and super invested in thier journey. I don't mind a simple plot if the game kept the same level of dialogue and chemistry between it's characters.

I think FFXIII's conclusion is the only one that isn't really easy to follow but mainly because of terrible writing and misguided exposition. Or even the lack of exposition. Hopefully XV doesn't fall prey to this, but everything has looked fairly straightforward so far.

Little bit on game structure - not sure if spoiler worthy but just in case:
EDGE said:
To make clear the distinction between the two halves of the game, if you want to return to the open world area, you'll need to travel 'back in time' when at a save point. Once there you can mop up any unresolved side quests until you're ready to return to the present. As futher evidence of the underlying structural issues, the game is filled with nascent design ideas that never feel like finished meaningful components.

On Chocobos:

Chocobos can be hired for up to seven days. Summoning one is as easy as blowing on a Chocobo whistle. Chocobos move quickly off road but you'll still rely on the Regalia to cover greater distances. Your bird accrues experience points when riding it and will level up automatically, increasing stamina and infusing it with the ability and will to join battles. Eventually you'll be able to name, colour the feathers of and pin medals on your steed. And yet it never comes together as a rounded component. As soon as you've taken part in a couple of races, you're whisked off to another city and the Chocobos are gone.

So is that
"rift" in structure the second half of the game entirely
, or just a portion? Any clarification on that? It almost sounds more like something that would be relegated to the final third, or the home stretch.

Geg

FFVII

Everyone dies....????

The End

This reminds me of way back when Advent Children first came out one of the reviews I read was by someone who genuinely believed humanity was wiped out at the end of FFVII and thought AC was retconning that ending

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Little bit on game structure - not sure if spoiler worthy but just in case:

On Chocobos:

Chocobos can be hired for up to seven days. Summoning one is as easy as blowing on a Chocobo whistle. Chocobos move quickly off road but you'll still rely on the Regalia to cover greater distances. Your bird accrues experience points when riding it and will level up automatically, increasing stamina and infusing it with the ability and will to join battles. Eventually you'll be able to name, colour the feathers of and pin medals on your steed. And yet it never comes together as a rounded component. As soon as you've taken part in a couple of races, you're whisked off to another city and the Chocobos are gone.

This, along with the part about Cid's weapons upgrading sounds really weird...

Why would they have weapons upgrading and chocobos only in this particular part of the game?

LordKasual

Banned
My natural reaction is to panic...but really this is just bringing everyone back down to reality.

I would have much preferred if the second half of the game just expanded on the scale of the first half...but given everything surrounding the development of this game, that would have simply been too much to ask for. Especially if the big twist is of FFVI / FF8 / Link to the Past level scale, in which case maintaining such a thing in a world as massive as XV would have been ridiculous. But as long as the second half is interesting, I don't even mind. Maybe in FFXVI we'll see something like that. But i'm not too worried.

Note, that he never really commented on the content of the second half, he just said the pace shift was jarring. We've seen photos of Noctis hiding from magitek guards (Afrojack trailer), and some stealth elements in the original E3 trailer (which hyped me to no end).

And seeing as we've seen no actual building-like environments in this game, i'm pretty excited to play some "RE Style" keycard puzzles and dungeons, if they all have unique events similar to the ones we've seen so far.

Not gonna kneejerk. Just gonna wait another 21 days to play the game.

This reminds me of way back when Advent Children first came out one of the reviews I read was by someone who genuinely believed humanity was wiped out at the end of FFVII and thought AC was retconning that ending

The ending to VII was intentionally ambiguous, especially considering the theme of the story it was attempting to tell. Whether or not they died wasn't a retcon, but Advent Children's entire premise absolutely was a retcon, seeing as Rufus was somehow still alive and Jenova wasn't completely eradicated by Holy.

Nya

I ... don't think the dialog is terrible though, I actually enjoyed it ;P

We saw stealth in a dungeon back in 2013.

9NFb.jpg

And we saw room puzzles at Siggraph this year, which looked pretty cool.

HospitableDecimalAnemoneshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Yeah but I thought the stealth would be optional >~<

Anyway I guess we will see how it goes :<

I fail to remember a FF game that has a conclusion that's absolutely easy to follow. Not to say this shouldn't/can't be different but insanity is kind of a series staple.

VIII, the tripping shit after defeating the final boss still confuses the shit out of me.

Top Bottom