• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS+ users are getting a potential GOTY candidate next week...

And odds are, you don't even know it.

What is Rocket League?
w0Rbdr1.jpg

For some, it's damning evidence that Sony isn't committed to providing AAA retail releases for their free games service like 2013's Assassin's Creed Black Flag. For others, it's either a soccer game which is boring, or it's a racing game which is dumb. For most, it didn't exist until you heard about it today.

Here is why you should be excited for next week.

This is the GAF thread for the Rocket League beta. You probably won't do it, but I want you to look through that thread. Click on any page at random.

Look at how many negative opinions you can find.

If you click on any random page, you might find one. Maybe two. But you probably won't. Instead, you'll probably find 50 or 100 people having a god damn blast. Because the game is that fucking fun.

Rocket League is a videogame. I was thinking the other day about the best experiences in gaming... how something like The Last of Us is an amazing cinematic experience, but is too gamified to be considered on equal footing of the greatest films... or how Dragon's Age and The Witcher 3 are amazing fantasy experiences, but also have shortcomings in terms of repetition or glitches.

Rocket League is just fun. It's a pure videogame. It's a game and it's fun as all hell.

I personally never played the series' first incarnation on the PS3. It was called Super Battle Rocket Flipping British Cars or something equally nonsensical. I had never heard of Rocket League before I signed up for the beta. I have a passing interest in soccer games and little interest in racing games, so I wasn't expecting much.

You can watch YouTube videos of it. You won't fully grasp how insane some players are until you actually play the game. But yeah, you can see some of the fun when you're watching clips. Some of it.

But it's not until you pick up and play the game that you realize how great it is.

I don't know if Rocket League will garner any actual GOTY nominations. It's not a $60 retail release, it might be buggy or laggy (the beta's online code was really good, so I'm not betting on that happening), the career mode or unlockable might feel lacking...

But man, you're going to have fun playing it. Probably. Hopefully.

You will.

LordofPwn

I'm super excited for next week. I missed out on the beta.

i dont like soccer but i like cars

will i still like it
But it's like soccer meets a demolition derby with cars that can fly. So basically fixes everything that's terrible about soccer.

i dont like soccer but i like cars

will i still like it
It's hard for me to say this, since I do enjoy playing soccer in real life, but...

I think if you don't like soccer and you don't like cars, you could still really like this game.

It's just such stupid fun - especially with friends - that gradually turns into something skill-based if you want it to, without losing any of that initial fun factor.

I'm already probably overselling the game, but if you like having legitimate fun playing videogames, there's a good chance you'll find that with Rocket League.

This is definitely one of those games that is under the radar until you give it a try and realize how fun it is even if you have no interest in racing, cars or football.

jholmes

Wait someone made a whole game out of that mini-game in that SNES game Street Racer?

What an excellent idea. Why did this take 20 years?

TimPV3

I purchased SuperSonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars at launch and loved it, so pumped to be getting this FOR FREE

grimmiq

Is this still as fun if you play with random people? Only one of my friends has upgraded from last-gen..and they're barely ever online.

Zomba13

From what I understand America is allergic to proper football so I can see nobody liking this or giving it a chance or hating on it because the ball is round and not egg shaped and you don't carry it around and stop every 10 seconds.

pixelation

I played the PS3 game, it was fun... in small bursts because if i played for more than 30 minutes i'd get a horrible case of motion sickness T_T

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
From what I understand America is allergic to proper football so I can see nobody liking this or giving it a chance or hating on it because the ball is round and not egg shaped and you don't carry it around and stop every 10 seconds.

Yay! Stereotypes are fun!

15strong

Is this still as fun if you play with random people? Only one of my friends has upgraded from last-gen..and they're barely ever online.

Playing with random people in the beta was actually pretty good because it seemed like everyone started to pick up the idea of playing defense and having a goaltender.

BShadowJ

Everyone listen to this man, Rocket League is stupid amounts of fun. Either with friends or solo, you'll have a blast. It's also perfect for short gaming sessions because of the time length of each match, although I really doubt you could play this game for a short while, because this game puts you into that "just one more game" mentality that's so hard to get away from, from the enormous amounts of fun you're having.
With the barrier of entry this low, everyone needs to give it a spin. Just be prepared to lose your life to it. :)

PS: This is still one of the top posts of that thread :p

Top Bottom